Werewolf slang

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolf slang

Post by Xodiac »

If this movie is going to be about a community of werewolves, or even just a loose pack that meets up once or twice a month, (kind of like a bowling league except they shift into wolf and go after deer) then shorthand and slang is inevitable. What would some of it be? "Were out" to refer to the shift to wolf? "Wild boy" for someone who let their instincts take the upper hand? Ys? No? Any suggestions?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The only one I could think of offhand would be that they would have some sort of phrase for a werewolf that loses himself to the instincts and starts cornering hookers in dark alleyways like they do in the movies. They could just say he "went ballistic" or "lost himself," but a more cynical werewolf might say that he "went Hollywood."
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Re: Werewolf slang

Post by Apokryltaros »

Xodiac wrote: What would some of it be? "Were out" to refer to the shift to wolf?
Please don't use the prefix "were" to refer to the wolf. It comes from Old English meaning "man."
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

I don't think the word Hollywood should be mentioneds anywhere near the movie. Especially not in it.....
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Drake Arrokh
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Drake Arrokh »

Since when would killing hookers in a dark alley be instictual :?: , Hunting a deer would be more down that road naturaly. If the weres are "good" give or take, wouldn't they not like the idea of killing people because it draws attention, so shouldn't the slag reflect the mood?
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolf slang

Post by Xodiac »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Xodiac wrote: What would some of it be? "Were out" to refer to the shift to wolf?
Please don't use the prefix "were" to refer to the wolf. It comes from Old English meaning "man."
I know. I was tossing phases out as I thought of them. I don't particularly like "wild boy" either.

"Going hollywood" would probably refer not to letting instincts rule but to using their lycanthropy as a means - perhaps an excuse - to go on a killing spree,

I'm still stuck for other terms, though.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Drake Arrokh wrote:Since when would killing hookers in a dark alley be instictual :?: , Hunting a deer would be more down that road naturaly. If the weres are "good" give or take, wouldn't they not like the idea of killing people because it draws attention, so shouldn't the slag reflect the mood?
Or drug dealers and homeless people as well I suppose, assuming they live somewhere where there aren't that many deer around (as most humans do); the only other options available in the city would be rats, pigeons, or dumpster dwelling. Skinny women in tight clothing are just so typical of B-movies, so if one turned up dead, that's when a werewolf would be most likely to use that sort of phrase -- because the scene would be something right out of one of those cheesy popcorn flicks that no self-respecting werewolf can stand.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Well if you have read kelley armstrong's books (Bitten and Stolen) they use lots of such slang. I suggest them to any true werewolf fan. They infact have a pack of werewolves that meet just like you mentioned above. The term they used for renegade werewolves were mutts a term which i liked. When they shifted they just used changed nothing special but it made it seem very realistic. You may also get some great ideas from her website www.kelleyarmstrong.com :)
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Drake Arrokh wrote:Since when would killing hookers in a dark alley be instictual :?: , Hunting a deer would be more down that road naturaly. If the weres are "good" give or take, wouldn't they not like the idea of killing people because it draws attention, so shouldn't the slag reflect the mood?
Agreed.

As to slang, during they shouldn't be able to talk, maybe except to utter simple monosylabic words, yes, no, why, s***....etc....

As for Slang, it should be kept simple, if this is supposed to be taken seriousely, and not be thought of necessarily as makebelieve, then simple words should be used..."change" for example, "animal"

It has been my experience in watching and reading stories that the more fantasy based the story is, and less rooted in reality it is, than the more fantasy terms are used. If we as an audience are to get an impression that this movie could ACTUALLY be true in real life, then avoid such made up words... keep it simple. If you do use a made up word in the story, then have it explained WHY the word is made up, especially if the word adds something to the plot, or title....
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Not to mention people taste yucky.. Ungh, gimme a deer any day over some hooker.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Actually, it's my understanding that people taste and smell alot like what they eat the most of. If people eat a lot of sweet things, they'll be sweet, if they eat a lot of spicy things, they'll be spicy.

Er.... this is very likely an urben myth though.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

I think that's taking "you are what you eat" a little to the extreme :)

OTOH, I heard burned humans smell like pork. It's a good bet they'd taste akin to pork as well.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

The lazy werewolves will just order a "meat lover's pizza" from Pizza Hut. :wink:
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Maybe things like the werewolves refering to themselves as a pack. Or if a newbie werewolf runs off, thinking mostly with instincts, could be something like, "Great, the kids gone ferel." Refer to a couple as mates, children werewolfs as cubs/pups, ect
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Silverclaw wrote:Maybe things like the werewolves refering to themselves as a pack. Or if a newbie werewolf runs off, thinking mostly with instincts, could be something like, "Great, the kids gone ferel." Refer to a couple as mates, children werewolfs as cubs/pups, ect
That makes sense. I know some people who talk like that anyway. :wink:
Xodiac wrote:... "Were out" to refer to the shift to wolf?
...oh please No. Nothing like that. :roll:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I'm always partial to the old Southern term "losing my religion" for flipping out and hitting people.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:Not to mention people taste yucky.. Ungh, gimme a deer any day over some hooker.
So only one that turned Hollywood would ever consider such. :wink:

EDIT: Maybe to keep Hollywood out of it, it could instead be a reference to the tabloids.
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Great..now i'm hungry. :(
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

So... we're all agreed, then, that none of us can think up some decent slang that werewolves might evolve to refer to aspects of their condition? Oh good. Glad we could work this out.

:D
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Well lets give it a try...hmmmm

for changing forms i would say shifting or changing not really immaculate lol

Rouge werewolves: dogs

i don't know maybe xodiac is right well i guess my best advice is to use a thesaurus.

Yes a werewolf Thesaurus. :lol:
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I think werewolves should have a term for people that aren't werewolves. It would seem kind of silly to keep saying "the humans" since werewolves are humans half the time anyway, and saying "non-werewolves" would probably get to be too much for the tongue after a while. I don't know, I think it would be kind of funny if a werewolf in human form watches a pure human do something a werewolf would never do and then mutter something about the silly "changeless" or whatever when out of hearing range.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

"Normal" people --> Mundanes?

werewolf gone crazy or doing "abnormal" things --> Rabid?

Don't hurt me... I know those aren't exactly original... :P
ShadowWolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by ShadowWolf »

I don't think a werewolf would talk in slang so much has they would speak in subliminal messages or have double means to their words.

ex:
Person: "Where were you last night?"
Werewolf: "I was out walking the dog."
Translation: :shift:
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Werewolf innuendoes. Gotta love 'em. :lol:

Me, I've always liked referring to it as "getting in touch with my inner child."

Incidentally, my inner child is, in fact, a puppy. :wink:
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

In the full canine form, where their palate would make full human speech very difficult, then I would think they’d only be able to say certain things, and the “human’ speech would, over time, deteriorate. So I think a pack that had been together for a long time would have developed their own “language’ and slang. Go to any IT department that’s been developing their own software. They’ve already developed their own lingo for it.

And I think that would translate into the human language as well. There would be phrases that they used that meant things only a werewolf would get.

Like “Muzzle that!” could mean keep your muzzle shut, or put a muzzle on that (keep it quiet).

Or “Do I look like your tennis ball?” means a double insult. First, you’re stupid enough to play with tennis balls; second, I’m not your toy.

Or “that’s cub league” could mean that’s small time.

Or being “Yippy’ means being hung up on the small stuff, like a little dog that yips at everything and never shuts up.

Or calling someone a Mutt could mean that they are not a TRUE ww, because they have a hard time Tfing even though they’ve been a ww for a long time —

Phrases like “Bite Me” and “Scratch that” would have a whole new meaning.

So, yup, they could definitely have slang.
:howl:  :oo