Werewolf slang

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

While this could lead to "talking animal" syndrome if done poorly, it would show that werewolves in wolf form are still intelligent. I don't mind it, as I'd rather have "werewolves aren't monsters; they're people"--regardless of form.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Excelsia wrote:Also...the title of the movie is Freeborn. So, are the werewolves in Freeborn gonna call themselves 'the freeborn'? Would TFing be "going free" or "freeing up" or something like that? Your thoughts, please.
Mmmm, I LIKE that! lck Or maybe "Letting go" or "running free."
Maybe referring to themselves as "the Free People," a back-reference to the wolves' name for themselves in "The Jungle Books." "Are we not the Free People?"
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

There doesn't necessarily have to be use of the title in the movie itself, although the suggested terms aren't so bad.

vrikasatma, that sounds a bit cheesy to me. Perhaps some variant on it, but I don't think it'd work.
Sanity is relative.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

some offensive insults:

- Drongo (sp?): dumbass

- "Heeeeere kitty kitty kittyyy...": a sort of taunt often directed to WWs with short snouts/muzzles

- Pugsie: a taunting nickname; ugly dog

- Cluckerbreath: oldschool-type slang for a WW who doesn't brush his/her teeth. Clucker = chicken.

Thought i'd give it a try. ._.;
MuDD
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by MuDD »

CrewWolf wrote:I think werewolves should have a term for people that aren't werewolves. It would seem kind of silly to keep saying "the humans" since werewolves are humans half the time anyway, and saying "non-werewolves" would probably get to be too much for the tongue after a while. I don't know, I think it would be kind of funny if a werewolf in human form watches a pure human do something a werewolf would never do and then mutter something about the silly "changeless" or whatever when out of hearing range.
I know that in the Anita Blake novels the shapeshifters call humans, "normals." So, who knows, maybe that's an idea. <shrug>
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ralith Lupus wrote:There doesn't necessarily have to be use of the title in the movie itself, although the suggested terms aren't so bad.

No it doesn't have to be. But, I think it would be better if it is. Most movies nowadays use their title in some fashion within the context of the film, and I think it would be nice if Freeborn did too. After all, some people (who are idiots) might not make the association that werewolves are 'free'. Furthermore, (if the word isn't used in the film), if there isn't some plot point that deals with the 'freeness' of werewolves, then the title would almost be inappropriate, IMO.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I can understand wanting it to be relevant, and even agree; I just don't think that the title should necessarily be used vertabrim in speech in the film.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ralith Lupus wrote:I can understand wanting it to be relevant, and even agree; I just don't think that the title should necessarily be used vertabrim in speech in the film.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was saying (albeit rather badly) here:
Excelsia wrote: Furthermore, (if the word isn't used in the film), if there isn't some plot point that deals with the 'freeness' of werewolves, then the title would almost be inappropriate, IMO.

Some werewolf, at least one point in the film, needs to make some sort of reference to werewolves being 'free' or 'born free' or 'having freedom', at least when compared to humans, because of their ability to transform. I would love to hear Jack saying something like this to his girlfriend, to convince her to let him make her a werewolf (which I assume he will).

Anyway, something like that might be nice. The word 'freeborn' doesn't have to be used, but there needs to at least be some kind of direction connection between title and film.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

the phrase is funny to me, because in Battletech, a "freebirth" is a clanner who was born naturally, instead of haveing been concieved in vats (trueborn), and are considered inferior. not exactly the same word but...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Ultraken wrote:While this could lead to "talking animal" syndrome if done poorly, it would show that werewolves in wolf form are still intelligent. I don't mind it, as I'd rather have "werewolves aren't monsters; they're people"--regardless of form.
*nods* The whole talking animal bit isn't just questionable, it's hard to get right. It looks like The Chronicles of Narnia might have it down, but most people that tried the talking animals bit ended up with cheesy Disney-ish graphics like in Babe or Racing Stripes, or worse, like an animatronic blunder like that of The Polar Bear King.

For it to work in a movie like Freeborn, it would have to be a character with a noted linguistic talent to be even moderately realistic. Like I mentioned before in my thesaurus dump earlier on, it's possible that one of the unnoficial betas could be a werewolf with good people skills -- the mediator, if you will. Whoever got assigned that wonderful task would have to place a lot of value in their ability to articulate speech, so much that they might consider it necessary to learn to articulate while in shifted (especially if shifting involves a 'Red Zone' like the one I described in the same list).

What I'm trying to say is that there could indeed be a talking wolf, but the script would really have to well define and defend why that wolf can talk.

But before this gets too OT, we do have a whole thread on this.
http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=28

Thought of a few others while I'm at it:

Black Sheep: A lycanthrope of a non-wolven variety. A werecat in a pack of werewolves, for example.

Coming Back / Waking Up: Leaving the feral lifestyle. The opposite of Hiding or Soul Searching.

"Happy Birthday" "Happy Kwanza" = "Package from/for the Pack."

I hear "Happy Kwanza" used as in jest a lot, so I figured maybe werewolves could distribute pack-related items of concern in a work environment and use a phrase like "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Kwanza" to identify it as pack-related (which should therefore not be dealt with in the same setting that it was delivered) and disguise the code as an office joke.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Might get a bit of a controversy with that "Kwanzaa" thing used as a joke, and "Birthday" would be a bit confusing at times...

So...

Take a page from Lewis Carrol: Merry UnBirthday!
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Why, it's my Un-birthday, too!

How'd ya know? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Its my un-birthday as well! :o :D

Stray-lone werewolf

Wild-Someone who prefers being in there gestalt-wolf form than being human
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, yeah, I see your point, but you get the idea. Just some sort of obscure holiday that it's blatantly obvious neither character celebrates, or even something goofy like "happy un-birthday" or something cynical like "happy f*** whatever."

The point is that it's code disguised as an office joke.
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

A werewolf said to have "silver fangs" - no-good cheating, thieving, bad mouthing scoundrel or a werewolf who speaks with questionable intentions. Basically a werewolf you can't trust.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

CrewWolf wrote:A werewolf said to have "silver fangs" - no-good cheating, thieving, bad mouthing scoundrel or a werewolf who speaks with questionable intentions. Basically a werewolf you can't trust.
Basically the opposite of the human term "silver-tongued devil"... just as much a devious and manipulative little pile of crap, but unlike a "silver-tongued devil", he doesn't try to hide it behind a mask of charm and charisma. He's just a total asshole.

Am I right?
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Oooh! Dig at W:tA...

"Silver-fanged" = "backstabber"?
ImageImageImageImage
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

No that would be Shadow-Fanged, heh heh.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

vrikasatma wrote:Oooh! Dig at W:tA...

"Silver-fanged" = "backstabber"?
That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say!!
My Werewolf Code!:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

So, would the phrase "Gray-Flank got his wagon fixed" take a more ominous turn with werewolves?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy

Post by Kavik »

Terastas wrote:Well, yeah, I see your point, but you get the idea. Just some sort of obscure holiday that it's blatantly obvious neither character celebrates, or even something goofy like "happy un-birthday" or something cynical like "happy F@&^$ whatever."

Perhaps one werewolf might greet another on the day he or she first became a werewolf with the phrase, "Happy Talbot Day!"
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kavik »

I usually refer to those non-werewolves at work as "Monomorphs".
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Kavik wrote:
Terastas wrote:Well, yeah, I see your point, but you get the idea. Just some sort of obscure holiday that it's blatantly obvious neither character celebrates, or even something goofy like "happy un-birthday" or something cynical like "happy F@&^$ whatever."

Perhaps one werewolf might greet another on the day he or she first became a werewolf with the phrase, "Happy Talbot Day!"
I dun get it. What's a Talbot?
My Werewolf Code!:
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kavik »

ChaosWolf wrote:
Kavik wrote:Perhaps one werewolf might greet another on the day he or she first became a werewolf with the phrase, "Happy Talbot Day!"
Seriously? ??

Larry Talbot was the name of the most well known cinematic werewolf, in the 1941 film The Wolf Man. While true werewolves would likely regard the movie as grossly inaccurate and entirely fictional, he's as much a pop culture icon of lycanthropy as Dracula is of vampirism.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Kavik wrote:
ChaosWolf wrote:
Kavik wrote:Perhaps one werewolf might greet another on the day he or she first became a werewolf with the phrase, "Happy Talbot Day!"
Seriously? ??

Larry Talbot was the name of the most well known cinematic werewolf, in the 1941 film The Wolf Man. While true werewolves would likely regard the movie as grossly inaccurate and entirely fictional, he's as much a pop culture icon of lycanthropy as Dracula is of vampirism.
Nope...still does not ring any bells. The only name I ever hear related to the classic "wolf man" is Lon Cheney Jr.