Werewolf slang

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Terastas... these are all awesome terms.

I'm planning on writing a couple short-stories about werewolves, as soon as I get some solid inspiration to break my writer's-block... mind if I borrow that slang-list for reference purposes?
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Hmmm...I think werewolves would still consider b**** and offensive term, but they would probably use it more often than humans do.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I think b**** would still offensive as well, but it'd probably depend on the setting and stuff. As for 'whelp', what if instead of going "Don't be such a baby!" it was "Don't such a whelp!" It goes with the negative drift and I kinda like how it sounds. It sounds (to me anyways) like something that could naturally roll off the tongue...kinda :lol:
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Black Shuck wrote:I think b**** would still offensive as well, but it'd probably depend on the setting and stuff. As for 'whelp', what if instead of going "Don't be such a baby!" it was "Don't such a whelp!" It goes with the negative drift and I kinda like how it sounds. It sounds (to me anyways) like something that could naturally roll off the tongue...kinda :lol:
I agree. I think that'd be a good usage of 'whelp'.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm just trying to visualize...

In our society, "Baby" is also an endearment, usually connected with seduction or romance of some kind. I'm trying to visualize a werewolf crooning to an over-wrought member of the opposite sex, "Awww, whelp, come here and tell me what's wrong?"

Nope, probably wouldn't work...

Or maybe hooting at some gorgeous seduction target, Whooooaaaa, WHELP!"

On the other hand, I could definitely hear a lovestruck werewolf sighing, "Ohhhh, you BEAUTIFUL <i>b****!</i>"
ImageImageImageImage
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

vrikasatma wrote:I'm just trying to visualize...

In our society, "Baby" is also an endearment, usually connected with seduction or romance of some kind. I'm trying to visualize a werewolf crooning to an over-wrought member of the opposite sex, "Awww, whelp, come here and tell me what's wrong?"

Nope, probably wouldn't work...

Or maybe hooting at some gorgeous seduction target, Whooooaaaa, WHELP!"

On the other hand, I could definitely hear a lovestruck werewolf sighing, "Ohhhh, you BEAUTIFUL <i>b****!</i>"
Honestly, I couldn't really picture a werewolf using b**** in a positive way in any scenario. Although maybe a director could pull it off...

As far as whelp goes, we don't necessarily have to assume whelp = baby for every situation. After all, pussy, pansy, and sissy can all be used in the place of baby in most situations where baby is used negatively, but not necessarily in situations where baby is used positively. Perhaps whelp could be added to this list for werewolves.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

I can't really see whelp being used as a term of enderment. I can see a bully werewolf sorta sneering out "What's up whelp?" to a newbie and then going "Oh, poor little whelp" after he got pickin on the newbie. It's just way whelp sounds I guess. It's a "hard" word if you will... I think it'd funny if a werewolf walked up to a lady werewolf at a bar and used b**** in positive way "Hey b****, can I buy you drink?" It'd cause problems if a human looked like the WW lady from the back "How ya doin b****?" :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

vrikasatma wrote:Okay, I'm opening up a potentially smelly kettle of fish with this one...

How would "b****" be handled?

From a wolf's point of view, "b****" would probably be the equivalent of "lady," it's not a derogative like it's become in human parlance. Then again "Lady" can be used perjoratively, too. We seem to have this facility for taking any word, however positive and respectful, and turning it into an insult. :cry:
Well, so far, most of the common canine terms with applied to werewolves have been negative. Troublemaking werewolves are dogs or mutts, emotionally distraught werewolves are runts or whelps, werewolves outside the pack are strays, coyotes or lone wolves, and rookie werewolves are cubs or pups. The pattern we seem to be forming is that werewolves would rather think of themselves as having lycanthropy than being related to dogs.

Therefore, by that pattern, 'b****' as a noun would be a pretty hefty insult, and with the exception of tomboys and Meredith Brooks fans, most lady werewolves would most likely prefer the term 'she-wolf' instead.
Excelsia wrote:Mmm...well negative context is sorta what I was going for. But I guess it would probably work better for a werewolf who's been a werewolf for a while, but isn't independent yet, like you said.

Either way, it's an interesting word. Not too overused, compared to some words. If it is used (in any context) I would be pleased.
*nods* It'd be a great term for a werewolf that's taking too long to adjust or has suddenly flipped out and is once again behaving like a Pup, but you called it, it's definitely not something that could be said positively or casually.
ChaosWolf wrote:Terastas... these are all awesome terms.

I'm planning on writing a couple short-stories about werewolves, as soon as I get some solid inspiration to break my writer's-block... mind if I borrow that slang-list for reference purposes?
Just as long as I can call you up should the copyright-enfringement police decide to break down my door. :wink:
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Thanks, pal.

(suddenly pictures a gestalt she-wolf wearing a shirt reading "Sexy b****" in sparkly letters... and not sure whether to agree or start chuckling.)
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

How about "pinkies"?
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

I like pinkies! (We're all pink in the middle, right?) :lol:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

heh- i was specifically thinking of the 'pinkes' in Doom: Knee Deep In The Dead... :lol: :wolfcry:
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Ah! I haven't kept up my videogames :( I always did like Doom though :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

nono, it's a book based off of Doom I
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Oh! :oops: Yeah, I'm retarded. And slow... :lol: I get it know though, hehe :roll:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

UI know it looked like a comp game title- but its basically the same thing
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Pinkies is a good term, but unfortunately, it's highly overused. The Forgotten Realms trilogy especially makes frequent use of the term.

Besides, that's going back on that "werewolves are human too" thing.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think the word "b****" would still be an offenive term even though it meens mother dog it also meens, selfish unpleasnt woman. and other difenitions that are offensive
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Pinkies is a good term, but unfortunately, it's highly overused. The Forgotten Realms trilogy especially makes frequent use of the term.
That, and not all humans are pink; some are brown. Humans come in both chocolate and vanilla, both with gooy cherry on the inside.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

yummy lck :wink:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

gee, you make eating humans sound kinda mmm lck tasty :P j/k
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:
That, and not all humans are pink; some are brown. Humans come in both chocolate and vanilla, both with gooy cherry on the inside.
What? No peanut butter? :wink:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Couple things...I don't know if anyone mentioned mongrel. That's a good word. Based on my connotations of that word, I see it as being used for a werewolf who is reckless, takes lots of risks, and is a party animal. NOT a werewolf who has gone loco, on a killing spree, so to speak. Although...a mongrel could easily become such a werewolf. I could picture a scene with a drunk-off-hiss-a** werewolf stumbling into the house, and other werewolves looking at him and shaking their heads and smiling, while saying (in a tone that is both affectionate, and slightly derogatory), "Billy, you mongrel." Or something like that. Feel free to disagree. Maybe it wouldn't be used for that particular meaning, but you gotta admit, it's a cool word.

Also...the title of the movie is Freeborn. So, are the werewolves in Freeborn gonna call themselves 'the freeborn'? Would TFing be "going free" or "freeing up" or something like that? Your thoughts, please.

(I definitely think the word 'Freeborn' needs to be used in some context in the film. It's a great title, but I hope there is something in the script that actually connects the movie firmly to the title. It'd be kinda weird if it didn't.)
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Silver wrote:In the full canine form, where their palate would make full human speech very difficult, then I would think they’d only be able to say certain things, and the “human’ speech would, over time, deteriorate.
I know this is a bit off-topic, but I think it would be cool if an experienced ww could talk in (almost)full wolf form. I just got an interesting image where a wolf would need to communicate with a normal human but didn't want to change back for fear of his/her identity being revealed, so instead conciously changes his/her throat and mouth just enough to allow barely discernable speech. If done right, that could be a rather interesting effect.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

PariahPoet wrote:so instead conciously changes his/her throat and mouth just enough to allow barely discernable speech. If done right, that could be a rather interesting effect.

I agree. That would be cool. :D Incidentally, parrots don't have lips (you know that, of course). They are able to talk because they have fat tongues. If a werewolf in wolf form changed their tongue from a long tongue to a fat tongue, they could probably talk without having to have human lips.