Werewolf slang

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lunarwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Trying to run free
Additional Details: I look beyond the line of what a lot people call FACTS.... Because just because it's name MYTH..... Does not mean it does not exist.

Re: Werewolf slang

Post by lunarwolf »

I agree with Alteron i mean if you use slang soon everyone will use it and a werewolf will say some slang to a non werewolf saying that he or she wants to hang out and have fun in the full moon, and the non werewolf would be in surprise. Now if the werewolf would use code there would be no mix up and nobody would have to get bit or eaten or possibly end up with a hunter for a mistake.
The truth...ha...why does it matter to you? You really don't want to know the truths I know....
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lunarwolf wrote:I agree with Alteron i mean if you use slang soon everyone will use it and a werewolf will say some slang to a non werewolf saying that he or she wants to hang out and have fun in the full moon, and the non werewolf would be in surprise. Now if the werewolf would use code there would be no mix up and nobody would have to get bit or eaten or possibly end up with a hunter for a mistake.
*nods* The idea I had in my writing was that they try to use simple code terms that eventually become slang and therefore could be used in the presence of non-werewolves without a risk of unwanted consequences. The presumption is that people can make connections between werewolves and terms that are related to wolves, silver or the full moon, but most people will jump to over a hundred other conclusions before making the werewolf connection and terms with absolutely no relation to them.

The only people that would immediately make the connection between werewolves and terms that have absolutely no relation to them are other werewolves (see the paranoia issue in the mental health thread), so while neutral code/slang might draw attention, nobody with their head firmly on their shoulders would ever guess correctly what they may be referring to.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Hence, "tossing the ducky" might mean shifting for the first time.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

"You're looking like a Furry" could mean that:
>1. Your favorite pastime is leaking out (if you're Furry)
>2. You are showing something non-Human (if you're a Wulf)

"You're flashing..."
>1. Obvious.

"Gang's getting together for some music after work."
>1. Your friends are sharing CD's. Or Garage Music.
>2. We're Howling tonight. Be there.

"I'm so glad to see you're feeling better."
>1. You're over the flu
>2. So, you survived your first shift. Good.

Using the above examples, Werewolves could use plain common phrases to carry special and uncommon messages. If we add some simple memorization; locations could be encoded as well.
Using Twelve-Step language would be an effective camouflage as well. Nobody would be surprised, and the curious would be satisfied. You weren't shifting species, you were getting over a Pasta Addiction...or something like it.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...