On a two legged werewolf. Plantigrade? or Digigrade stance.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

What kind of stance does two legged werewolf have?

Plantigrade (heels on ground)
3%
Half digigrade (heels slightly in the air)
25%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
72%

Total votes: 134

Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

On a two legged werewolf. Plantigrade? or Digigrade stance.

Post by Calypso Blue »

Plantigrade meaning heels on the ground, and digigrade meaning heels in the air.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

This is kinda a toughie, I would say fully degitrade as it distinguishes something as not human, but I don't know how that would effect a speciel effects budget.

Fully plantigrade would be, rather dull looking in my mind, as it'd look a lot more like a guy in a suite, but on the other hand, it's probably cheaper and easier to carry out.

Partially degitrade would be a good compremise I suppose. However, I have a hard time picturing a partially degitrade creature walking on all fours for even quick dashs.

So they all have good points and bad.
Tigerwolf
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Legs

Post by Tigerwolf »

Full digitigrade would seem quite awkward for an upright stance with good balance, while full plantigrade likely dosen't imply enough of the 'animal' nature. So the half compromise seems best, allowing realistic balance, animal strength, and very likely gives the actor a lot more control with realistic movement.
=^_^= Tigerwolf
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Ever since I saw The Howling (the first one) forever ago I have been in love with the idea of full digitigrade. It makes the werewolf seem less human, more creepy and beast-like, in my mind. I have always drawn my werewolves that way, and if you know your anatomy and know what you're doing, it can work very well, and look awesome :)
runningwolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by runningwolf »

The image in my head would have them fully digitigrade. It definately looks better than plantigrade. I guess partially digitigrade would work too, but I prefer fully digitigrade.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Another advantage of digigrade feet is that the werewolf is more swift on its feet, try standing on your toes and running amazinly it works and you run faster =P =D
*When you're down... howl*

Post by Guest »

I think that digigrade would be the best. It looks a lot more wolfish, less human. Plantigrade would just look awful in my opinion. Like the old wolfman from the 30's. Half digigrade could look good, but I'm a bit unsure how it would look exactly.

Post by Guest »

Grrrr..That was me that posted above

Post by Guest »

Grrrr(again) That was me, Silverclaw, above.
Soty
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Soty »

Anything, just so long as they don't use the tired old knees-reversing-and-becomming-ankles bit. :shock:
Lurch
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Lurch »

Honestly, if I saw some renders of what you are trying to accomplish(the three choices) I will then vote. Untill then, I would say plantigrade because standing on two feet would physically require that. Bottom line. If on four feet then obviously digitigrade is necessary.
"If you love someone, set them free" - Gordon Sumner

Post by Guest »

I think what could probably be pulled off is a mix between plantigrade and digigrade.(did I get those right :?: ) Plantigrade with accentuation on the heels, as in raised some. But to do a full Digigrade is hard since you would almost have to create the illusion of the knee structure facing backwards like a wolf's.

Post by Guest »

That was me in the last post. -_-' Anyone else have problems with getting randomly logged out?
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

((Ok seriously wtf!? please disregard last post, it logged me out when I posted. *leaves*))
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Werewolves almost *have* to be fully digitigrade. Plantigrade just looks like a human who needs a shave. A fully digitigrade werewolves gives a towering beastial look. It also allows the werewolf to run on all fours or walk on two legs. A werewolf isn't a werewolf without digitigrade legs.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ShadowFang wrote:Werewolves almost *have* to be fully digitigrade. Plantigrade just looks like a human who needs a shave. A fully digitigrade werewolves gives a towering beastial look. It also allows the werewolf to run on all fours or walk on two legs. A werewolf isn't a werewolf without digitigrade legs.

yup, I agree. Its got to be digitigrade.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ShadowFang wrote:Werewolves almost *have* to be fully digitigrade. Plantigrade just looks like a human who needs a shave. A fully digitigrade werewolves gives a towering beastial look. It also allows the werewolf to run on all fours or walk on two legs. A werewolf isn't a werewolf without digitigrade legs.
I agree also. Plantigrade werewolves look too much like a fursuit, or like those awful awful werewolves in "DarkWolf"
Vuldari

Post by Vuldari »

Digitigrade is a must. It wouldn't look like a Wolf otherwise.
On the subject of reversing knees, that is a tremendous anatomy error. Dogs and wolves don't have backwards knees. What appears to be a reverse knee is in fact the animals ankle. The knee is there above that...it is just hard to see on a wolves frame. It blows my mind that movie makers ever made this error in the past.
...that's just my 2 cents.
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

Definately digigrade, more wolf and animal like... being digigrade also makes it much easier for them to walk on all fours :wink:

Plus I really like how a werewolf looks with a digigrade leg stance, they look more wild and wolf like ^..^

Post by Guest »

I prefer Digigrade, because if the werewolf could also run on all fours, this would be required. Another thing that I must stress for the females, whatever is chosen, is that they remain with wide bearing hips, to further distinguish them from the males.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I cannot really reconcile ditigrade feet with an upright posture. It just wouldn't work for balance unless you had a huge tail.

Partly ditigrade would work better, and looks pleasant enough.
Nirvelli Shaddir
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

digigrade all the way

Post by Nirvelli Shaddir »

They should have digigrade , it sets them apart from humans and makes them much more wolf like .
Nirvelli Shaddir
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Soty wrote:Anything, just so long as they don't use the tired old knees-reversing-and-becomming-ankles bit. :shock:
Hmm. I was favoring that at one time, but then I realized if this movie is to make us relate to the werewolves, then it would be seen as disgusting...I like the bone structure used in some of Goldenwolfen's artwork and in others......
LoupGarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LoupGarou »

Yeah i'm all for Digigrade.
"The Wolf in Me...desires the Sheep in you."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

its spelled Digitigrade. :wink: