Why silver?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:
Excelsia wrote:

Water leaves a rash on his skin. But, he can still drink it. Yeah, I know that's really weird.
Are you sure its not something in the water?

I'm pretty sure it's just water. When he showers, he has to do it carefully and wash only one part of his body at a time. Then, he quickly dries that part off. I think it might have something to do with the evaporation, not the actual being-in-water or getting-wet itself.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

That's wierd, now you've got me curious. :? To Google!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's odd, but plausible. It suggests a rather unusual autoimmune inflammatory condition rather than a water allergy per se. It's essentially impossible to be allergic to water itself, otherwise one would die instantly of anaphylaxis, having a body composed mostly of the stuff.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:It's odd, but plausible. It suggests a rather unusual autoimmune inflammatory condition rather than a water allergy per se. It's essentially impossible to be allergic to water itself, otherwise one would die instantly of anaphylaxis, having a body composed mostly of the stuff.
like I said.....It has to be something in the water. It can't be the water itself. Water is life.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Figarou wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:It's odd, but plausible. It suggests a rather unusual autoimmune inflammatory condition rather than a water allergy per se. It's essentially impossible to be allergic to water itself, otherwise one would die instantly of anaphylaxis, having a body composed mostly of the stuff.
like I said.....It has to be something in the water. It can't be the water itself. Water is life.
Actually, I saw a girl on Ripley's Believe It or Not that had this reaction, but only to rainwater and her own tears. Eventually, they figured out it was due to a slight acidity in the water that she was hyper-sensitive to because of skin damage from a chemical spill.

Also, some people have more problems than others with the wetting of the skin. It can strip vital oils out of the skin, making it vulnerable to disease. Some super-sensitive people have a problem with bathing. Think of what would happen to your feet if you spent an entire day with wet socks, except that you were so sensitive it didn't take anywhere near that long. Just because something is fine inside the body doesn't mean it is also fine externally.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Jamie wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Actually, I saw a girl on Ripley's Believe It or Not that had this reaction, but only to rainwater and her own tears. Eventually, they figured out it was due to a slight acidity in the water that she was hyper-sensitive to because of skin damage from a chemical spill.

Also, some people have more problems than others with the wetting of the skin. It can strip vital oils out of the skin, making it vulnerable to disease. Some super-sensitive people have a problem with bathing. Think of what would happen to your feet if you spent an entire day with wet socks, except that you were so sensitive it didn't take anywhere near that long. Just because something is fine inside the body doesn't mean it is also fine externally.

Hmmmm..so its a serious case of rash?
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Figarou wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Hmmmm..so its a serious case of rash?
Yeah, and not everything that gives you a rash is something that you're technically allergic to, in the normal sense of the word "allergic". Many people can get a rash by applying pure, concentrated peppermint oil directly to the skin, but they can ingest it, mixed with food or added to a gum, without problems.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Kotig
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Kotig »

Hmm...don't know if anyone said this(I didn't have the time to read-sorry!)
but I always thought that like the way alot of people are allergic to peanuts, werewolves are allergic to silver. I don't think its because its "Holy". Touching it isn't going to do anything, but if it got into the bloodstream or an open wound it is potentially fatal. Also, I don't beleive in werewolves being "invincible". I think they can die from the same wounds or injuries as human. I think it just depends on how severe the wound or injury is. But then again, as far as I know, werewolves don't exist. So really anything could be correct :D
What if I don't fill this in? What are you gonna do? :P
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

That's how I think of it too, as an allergy. Skin contact causes a nasty rash, and internally it can be fatal, or at least that's how I see it.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

In my Pashunara storyline, silver itself doesn't do the number. It's fairly innocuous. It does, however, cancel out the Pashunara's Changing Fire, which sustains them as well as fueling their changes.

If you're relatively young, say, 28, contact with silver will make you a little wobbly and stiff 'n sore, like a touch of food poisoning. But if you're an 1800-year-old elder, it can be devastating. Touch silver and watch the point of contact shrivel up and drop off. Get it internally — like an arrow, knife or bullet — and you go :splodey:
ImageImageImageImage
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

well, alchemically speaking, silver is the metal most aligned with the moon in it's properties (don't ask me how, i only know the connection, not the specifics). and a werewolf is directly connected to the moon, controlled by it in some legends. thus, the metal that is alchemically the closest thing to the actual moon would have control over a werewolf.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

So what would happen if a werewolf went to the moon?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Hmm, I suppose, but then would it have more of an effect on the werewolf's shapeshifting abilites than its health?
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

I'd imagine it would be less than straightfoward to successfully shift in a spacesuit.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:So what would happen if a werewolf went to the moon?

:splodey: Need I say more?
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

By all means, expunge.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Akela wrote:I'd imagine it would be less than straightfoward to successfully shift in a spacesuit.
No I mean silver's effect on werewolves.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

right, which is why if a werewolf wears silver, they can control their change.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

celtwolf: Hmm, that one I haven't heard either. Ususally silver is detrimental to a werewolf's health.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

well, i kind of just came to the conclusion logically.
if silver=moon and moon /= death, then silver/= death
silver would hae controle of a werewolf. if it is formed into a weapon, it can harm a werewolf more than normal. but if worn as an amulet, it would simulate the powers of the moon, and since the silver itself would be in he control of the werewolf, he/she could control the change.
i HAVE read things like this, but i don't think i read this idea exactly. it IS a cool theory though.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Here's an interesting thought:

Could werewolf blood + silver nitrate = napalm?

If the same is true of vampires, that would explain why they burst into flames in the Blade movies. :grinp:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I've never thought of silver (where it harms werewolveS) as having a burning effect.

More of a 'cleave the flesh off the bone like its corned beef', enhancing the cut/bashing/slashing/peircing/whatever power of the weapon the silver is in.
Though, it would feel like the wound was aflame (dunno why, it just seems cool. :P ).

So, a hunk of silver would be more or less harmless to you until thrown at you or forged into a weapon. You could wear a silver ring or necklace and it wouldn't be bad for you until it got pressed (hard) into your skin....

....but when rings are being pressed into your finger, your hand is usually in a press or something, so it being silver isn't going to really have much effect as you'd probably lose the finger anyway.
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

I heard somewhere that the allergic reaction of silver causes u to hurt wws and they wouldn't be able to heal. because it won't allow blood to clot or skin to heal. It is also under speculation if it would stop u from changing

PS: Would someone please answer me on how to put a picture on my subject.

For every winner there are dozens of losers odds are you are one of them
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

Aki wrote:I've never thought of silver (where it harms werewolveS) as having a burning effect.

More of a 'cleave the flesh off the bone like its corned beef', enhancing the cut/bashing/slashing/peircing/whatever power of the weapon the silver is in.
Though, it would feel like the wound was aflame (dunno why, it just seems cool. :P ).

So, a hunk of silver would be more or less harmless to you until thrown at you or forged into a weapon. You could wear a silver ring or necklace and it wouldn't be bad for you until it got pressed (hard) into your skin....

....but when rings are being pressed into your finger, your hand is usually in a press or something, so it being silver isn't going to really have much effect as you'd probably lose the finger anyway.
actually, i prefer to think of the effect as a sort of poisonous thing. if it comes in contact with the blood, the silver will poison it. stabbing a werewolf with a silver daggar would be like stabbing any other human with a poisoned blade. they would either die from the wound or suffer from said wound longer than if the wound had been inflicted by a normal blade. so a silver ring wouldn't do any damage unless it came in contact with a wound.
and only pure silver would have the detramental effect, silver alloys are completely different in properties from pure silver anyway.
and just so everyone's clear, pure silver is VERY weak. so any form of long blade would be easily bent and destroyed and any blade PERIOD would dull VERY quickly. basically, any silver weapon is a one-use thing; it'd probably only last one fight, if THAT.
~Celtwolf
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

What about silver plating, it wouldn't work for the cutting edge, but it would on the rest of the weapon.