Werewolf Head Questions

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Werewolf Head Questions

Post by Renorei »

I checked to see if there was a thread for this, but I might have missed it if there was one.

Anyway, here are my questions, all pertaining to what the head looks like. What blending of human and wolf should be used? How thick are their necks? How do the head and neck connect?

First ?:
In previous threads, I've stated that I would like for the werewolves to have heads that are 100% wolf. I've recently realized that it's not exactly what I want. (My view of the wolf hasn't changed, I've just realized I've been expressing it wrong). I most certainly do want them to be 100% canine, though not necessarily totally wolven. I guess the best way to desribe what I want would be to say 100% wolfISH. Maybe like the head of a wolf on roids, or like an uber-wolf. Definitely way way WAY more wolf than human (in fact not even really human at all). But not necessarily exactly like wolf. Some sort of big, fierce canine head that just looks more like a wolf than any thing else.

Second ?:
I haven't actually figured out how I feel about this one yet...I'd like to hear your opinions.

Third ?:
I ask this b/c, as many of you know, human and wolf heads connect to the body in different ways. The neck on a human connects at the bottom, pushing the human head up, whereas with a wolf it's at the back, pushing the head forward. Using the wolf neck connection method, the werewoves will end up having a vaguely 'hunched' look, because the head will be pushed forward on a relatively humanoid body. I've seen werewolves drawn this way, and it looks really cool. I'm more in favor of the wolf method. Or, at least, have the neck connect at a diagonal position, so it's kindof a blending of both.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Renorei on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

1st off....change the title to your post. That just doesn't sound right.

I like having the head of the werewolf to be 100% wolf. But I don't like it to sit on the shoulders like a human head does.
Last edited by Figarou on Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:I like having the head of the werewolf to be 100% wolf. But I don't like it to sit on the shoulders like a human head does.
I agree. I'd like the head to pretty much look like a wolf. Making it look too human just makes it look weird. I could go either way on the neck placement
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:I could go either way on the neck placement

Hmmmm......I like the 'hunched' look.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Pure wolf head with the "hunched" look for me!
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Hmmm...I definitely want the head to be Lupine...but somehow, I'd rather it look better than a real wolf than just look just like a real wolf.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:Hmmm...I definitely want the head to be Lupine...but somehow, I'd rather it look better than a real wolf than just look just like a real wolf.

Better? Be more specific.

And thanks for changing the title of your post.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I think werewolves are just uber wolves. They're arn't going to exactly be wolf, as of keeping a big toe (as a dew claw.) and other changes that seem to be going on. I'd imagine if the head changed to much, the brain would be damaged.

As seen a Wolf's skull has less space for the brain but alot of space on the sides for their jaw muscles. While a human's skull has a nice amount of space for their brains, and not much for jaw muscles. I think our 'uber wolf' is going to need the back of the head shaped differently for the brain to be held in there, which may effect the jaw strength but the brain is more importnat than the jaw.

So I'd image the back of the head gaining a more human shape, but with a nice canine muzzle, different features such as the fur, nose, and ears and other what not would make it much more wolf like. The neck may attach more human like, for the shoulders would be shaped much like ours, and the neck fur may cover up anything that looks weird.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
LoboLEO
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luna's pet

Post by LoboLEO »

My werewolf-girl comic Online:
http://www.alphaluna.net/

My werewolf Art.
http://www.loboleo.com
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:
Excelsia wrote:Hmmm...I definitely want the head to be Lupine...but somehow, I'd rather it look better than a real wolf than just look just like a real wolf.

Better? Be more specific.

And thanks for changing the title of your post.
No sweat. I shouldn't have used that title anyway. This is what I mean by 'better':

http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Rwolf/ ... olf_bi.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/ ... erwolf.jpg

I think both of these are very cool looking werewolves, but as you can see, their heads aren't 100% lupine. And I think they look better than they would if their heads were 100% wolf. There are many more examples of werewolves who have 'uber wolf' heads, but these are two of the first ones I could find. The head should definitely be some kind of scary, cool looking canine head (which definitely resembles a wolf), but I don't want the exact same head as a wolf. I want it better. (of course, better is in the eye of the beholder, but that is just what I lean towards.)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Excelsia wrote:No sweat. I shouldn't have used that title anyway. This is what I mean by 'better':

The mane on that one makes it look more like a lion than a werewolf.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

I want some personality too. Which could be quite hard during the movie. They arn't real wolves but created of animatronics and CG. Yet our minds are not trained to wolf expressions or telling the difference to wolf faces, and are not going to be able to tell who's who very easily. And being animated and what not they may look a tad different when say another artist does one scene or another, though that may not be much.

I would really like charater behind the wolves though, yet that might be done with some adding of expressions to them. Which is in another thread.
:D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lupin wrote:
Excelsia wrote:No sweat. I shouldn't have used that title anyway. This is what I mean by 'better':

The mane on that one makes it look more like a lion than a werewolf.
Yeah he is a bit lionish, but I still think he looks more wolfish than lionish. Though that could be reduced if his mane was less pronounced, or if his muzzle was a bit longer.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Perhaps something along these lines?

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15545205/

Like a wolf on roids.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

The werewolf on steroids is a little too much for my taste. Super-muscley things just look unnatural to me.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I'll just be glad if the werewolves don't look like either those Lon Chaney ripoffs (particularly Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), or are skinny, malnourished-looking bastard-mongrels, like the one from the latest Harry Potter movie.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Redfeather the Defender
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

you want to see what a werewolf's head should look like?

Post by Redfeather the Defender »

Check this out
Trust me, it is worth it!
http://goldenwolfen.com/archive/2000and ... e=rage.jpg
Last edited by Redfeather the Defender on Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shift happens...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Don't like the hunched look. Makes them look too primitive to me
same here. i love the postion of the head we have on our skulls seems more real. and if evolution made them biypedal, hands, and not to mention thier shapeshifting. the skull would be placed were the head could move the easist
THE GAME

My Armory
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

I like the hunched look, but whenever I draw my werewolves they always end up with... like a half-hunched sorta look. I dunno. But their heads are positioned much more like a human's would, but not exactly as a human's. *shrugs* It's a kind of half and half kinda deal. I'll try and draw out what I mean and post it here later.

Edit: Okay I drew out my idea. Mind, I'm still workin' on the anatomy so it isn't perfect. And I didn't have a ruler on hand so the lines I just sort of eye-balled.

Boo
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I prefer Hunched look, just because it looks more primitave doesnt mean it shouldnt happen, and besides wouldnt the neck grow some, so if its on two legs the neck would go fowards some. It just makes it look more like an animal and more well dare I say it. Wolfish in my oppinion. And as for the heavily muscular body, I think it looks cool I dont see how its unnatural, sense some of the drawings above have about the same muscle mass as some weght lifters. And like Figarou said, sometimes art triamphs over reality.

Explosions in movies for a examples. In a movie like the rock you see the frag grenade explosions has been exaderated with a big flame of sort, as if you were to wacth a documentary like the war in iraq, all you see when the grenade blows up is a flash and a bunh of smokes. The big flames win because it just looks cooler, and alot more people really prefer a werewolf to be really muscular and a little hunched.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Re: you want to see what a werewolf's head should look like?

Post by Renorei »

Redfeather the Defender wrote:Check this out
Trust me, it is worth it!
http://goldenwolfen.com/archive/2000and ... e=rage.jpg

This head here fits into what I'm talking about. He doesn't look completely like a wolf, he's a little 'better' (IMO), but he sure as hell doesn't look anything like a human.

As far as muscly werewolves go, I definitely think they should have lots of muscles, but not necessarily 'ripped'. If they're going to be able to lift a car (but not throw it, as we've established), then they would most certainly need to have way more muscles than the average human.