Muscles

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How muscle-y should a werewolf be?

Were on steroids. Govinator wolf.
3%
Lots of muscles but not to a bodybuilder's extreme.
24%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
65%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
5%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
2%

Total votes: 92

Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

aff, affirmative
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:All I want for Christmas is a large, aesthetically appealing werewolf, whom if I want to make eye-contact with, I must crane my head up.
And who doesn't have skinny fingers, and does not have an excess of drool.
Is that too much to ask for?
Not at all. In fact, that's what I'm hoping for too. :D

However, I do concede that, as Reilune said, it is very difficult for me to separate myself from what I want in a werewolf. If I were a werewolf, I would want my physical form to be a manifestation of my inner self, and therefore it would probably be a large, intimidating, sensorily enlightened, beautiful, super-strong, super-fast, agile, noble creature (Yes, those things can go together. Don't argue with me, I really don't want to hear it. These are my opinions and you can't change 'em, so don't bother trying. I realize such a creature is scientifically unlikely, however, science can kiss my a**. Though I think movie werewolves should certainly give a small nod to realism, aesthetics is king, IMO.)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Excelsia wrote: Don't argue with me, I really don't want to hear it. These are my opinions and you can't change 'em, so don't bother trying.
So, does that mean you don't want to go to the Adult Film Festival with Scott and I?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Excelsia wrote: Don't argue with me, I really don't want to hear it. These are my opinions and you can't change 'em, so don't bother trying.
So, does that mean you don't want to go to the Adult Film Festival with Scott and I?

:lol:
How can I resist, when you offer something so appealing?
wolfboy410
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: wrath

Re: Muscles

Post by wolfboy410 »

van helsing...nuff said
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

wolfboy410 wrote:van helsing...nuff said
I don't know: something about combining lycanthropy with eczema rubs me the wrong way.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Well, that idea WAS actually taken from the mythology.

Meh, I liked that movie when I was younger, but now it just looks silly. But I do like the way they combined MAry Shelley's and the Universal Movies version of Frankensteins Monster/Adam.
XIV
heartlessfang
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: I'm a manga artist/comic artist/writer. I've taken martial arts for about 11 years. Never played any of the Werewolf card games.
Mood: RAR!

Post by heartlessfang »

*takes notes* wow....reading through 200+ posts is interesting..... 8)
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

No joke...is this thread still active? I wouldn't mind voicing my opinion here. :?
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Not for the dinosaur who started it back in the Cretaceous, no, but feel free to add your 2 cents (Pesos, Yen, whatever...). We have this bizarre policy where thread necromancy is perfectly fine.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Set wrote:Not for the dinosaur who started it back in the Cretaceous, no, but feel free to add your 2 cents (Pesos, Yen, whatever...). We have this bizarre policy where thread necromancy is perfectly fine.
It's not called "NecroPosting" or "Thread Necromancy" here.
We call it "Turning the Compost." :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Yeah, and we don't call them "werewolves" here either. They're the "static form challenged". :P
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by W'rkncacnter »

I'm gonna go out of my way to 'LOL' at the previous two posts; emergent humor is fantastic.

Now here's what I think...let's start with what these muscles would be used for. As a combination of a human (who is a chase predator and long-distance forager) and a wolf (chase predator and ambush hunter), a werewolf would have a muscular structure that focuses on mostly on movement and navigational athleticism, but also on short but powerful bursts of energy for quick take-downs. This means you have a tall, lean, angular frame that is capable of significant joint compression.

The upper torso would place significant emphasis on muscles used to move the arms (or forelegs) in All-Fours mode. This includes the Lasstissimus Dorsi, Deltoids, and Trapezius muscles. Thus, a werewolf would have a hulking, slightly hunched appearance due to the uneven ratio of muscular structure between his back and front, though the pectoral muscles, being the largest muscle on the front of the body, would be accentuated by the increased size of the subject. Like on wolves, the neck would have thick muscular structure for protection against damage to the jugular and windpipe.

The lower torso would be more even but still much larger than a humans. Canines arch their backs to assist with movement, so the abdominal group, being the antagonist of the back-arching muscle groups would be accentuated as well. On a side note, I do not believe that a werewolf with a beer belly would lose said flabby gut when he changed; it might get smaller, but it would not evaporate into thin air.

The thighs would probably undergo the largest shift in mass of all muscles on the body. This muscle group is needed not only to assist with locomotion in the changed form, but must also provide the werewolf with the significant jumping capability he will need to correctly pounce his prey. If he so wanted, a werewolf could turn this impressive leaping power into vertical jump capability and jump a few meters straight up.

The hands and feet, though their change in muscle structure would not be much in terms of mass, would undergo a significant shift in terms of shape. the hands would become shorter and thicker, to accompany the stress they must undergo as pseudo-feet in All-Fours mode. The thumb would likely shift to a position that favors the top of the hand rather than the bottom (though the direction in which it flexes wouldn't change) to protect it from stress and damage while running. The feet, now being part of a quadrupedal system as opposed to a bipedal one, would shift the majority of their lode-bearing capacity to the front, or ball, of the foot, and to allow for greater traction on the smaller area, would expand laterally, or get wider.

Taking all this into account brings up the thought of what you could possibly wear in both forms. A loose shirt would do it, and you could probably get away with toe-less shoes, but any pair of pants would be torn asunder by the extra dozen or so vertebrae that would make up your tail (which, by the way, would be the most painful part of the transformation; the spinal cord does not like being stretched).

Also, I think there should (for identity reasons) be significant variation between individual subjects depending on their human forms and behaviors (meaning, I like Anthony's idea of how your inner nature affects your transformed shape).
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

I like all the detail you've gone into regarding how the muscles would change when one shifts. Interesting points and ideas, and well explained, too. hwlwnk

If I'm imagining what you've described right, it seems like Goldenwolf draws her werewolves in that way. I especially like how she does the hands and feet.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by W'rkncacnter »

I have an attention to detail that can get out of hand at times. Being a career scientist/researcher doesn't help; when I explain something, I have to explain it. :read2:

An idea.

-Unknown