Muscles

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How muscle-y should a werewolf be?

Were on steroids. Govinator wolf.
3%
Lots of muscles but not to a bodybuilder's extreme.
24%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
65%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
5%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
2%

Total votes: 92

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Muscles

Post by Set »

Pick your poison. And by Goldenwolf's style, I mean something like this:
http://www.goldenwolfen.com/archive/200 ... owwolf.jpg
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i like when there all big and buff it makes them intimanting but not so much that the size looks like its restericting there movements
THE GAME

My Armory
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

well muscles arn't gonna be terrible well defined benieth a healthy layer of fur anyway. Now I like somewhat imposing werewolves so gaining some muscle is fine and to be expected, and really I don't mind anything EXCEPTa total wimp of a human being becoming a muscle bound beast after the trasformation.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Imbetween what the picture had dipicted and maybe less. I would like a nicely filled out wolf, but quite frankly wolves arn't big muscle things ehtier, and it does depend on the human too. PLus a pelt of fur may make the muscles less aparent.

Thus is one reason why I do like Thorn Wolf's beautiful pictures. They are a nice shape, and not those uber wolves I see.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17562280/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16655153/
(Not to mention they are very beautiful!)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yeah, like that, especially the Duke-it-out one by Thornwolf.

I vote to go with the Goldenwolf look, the gold standard.

The overly muscled, steroid-shooting werewolf is a bit cheesy. First of all, why bother having a wimpy human form? Wouldn't it be better to keep the muscles in the human form, too? Second, unless they shrink, there's the problem of explaining that extra mass. If the werewolf changes weight, then forget worrying about explaining DNA stuff. The little guy who becomes the excessively muscle-bound werewolf is good for campy action stories, but it's hard to take as a dramatic element with any depth.

Not that Goldenwolf's and Thornwolf's werewolves look wimpy, mind you.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Thornwolf's drawings are amazing. Why aren't I watching her? *pads off to add her to her stalking list*

Anyway, ya. The steroid lookin' type o' werewolf is un-realistic to me/ Unless of course they were like that as a human... But than that just kinda scares me. Goldenwolf's or Thornwolf's werewolves are more of my type.
Boo
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I vote Goldenwolf/Thornwolf...they don't look wimpy, but they look smooth and graceful and still powerful, like wolves are. And they can't be mistaken for bears with wolf masks on.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Hmm... those Thornwolf pics look.... well they're rather thin. I mean, if a werewolf is fairly short and scrawny in human form then sure, however if you have somebody 6foot or higher in human form that's just gonna look, wierd.

Seriously, there is no all emcompessing definition of how muscular a Werewolf should be. Such judgments should be made after seeing the hieght and build of the actors.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Obviously, a muscle-bound weightlifter bitten by a werewolf WOULD look muscle-bound.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

I've always said Christy does Werewolf anatomy best. Chock up a vote for Goldenwolf!
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The most realistic assumption would be that they wouldn't have any physical change, but I've seen what a non-inflation werewolf looks like (AMIL, Harry Potter), and well... Frankly, without a little exaggeration, their disgusting.

I can understand muscle improvement just as well as I could bone distortion, but I imagine the werewolf would at best only retain his current levels of fat durring a transformation (the other argument I've been hearing is that he burns calories while shifting). Therefore, it would make sense to me for the werewolf's muscles to be more prominent in his werewolf form, just not so much that it looks like lycanthropy could classify as a form of steroid.

I chose the option "Goldenwolf's art" because I think that's about as muscular as a humanoid could be while still looking natural.

Also, is it just me, or are huge muscles with bulging veins five times more disgusting than manboobs?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:Also, is it just me, or are huge muscles with bulging veins five times more disgusting than manboobs?
It's not just you...Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: Also, is it just me, or are huge muscles with bulging veins five times more disgusting than manboobs?

Hmmmm..that type of werewolf wouldn't have any fur if you can see the bulging veins.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, I'm actually avoiding putting down a vote cause I don't feel the question is applicable. As somebody said earlier, a muscle-bound wieghtlifter would be musclebound as a werewolf, on the flip said, a frail uber thin human being would probably stay thin looking even with some mild muscle inflation.

So there's no right answer, as I've said earlier. It's highly dependent on the make and build of the actors you're using.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolvenOne wrote:Well, I'm actually avoiding putting down a vote cause I don't feel the question is applicable. As somebody said earlier, a muscle-bound wieghtlifter would be musclebound as a werewolf, on the flip said, a frail uber thin human being would probably stay thin looking even with some mild muscle inflation.

So there's no right answer, as I've said earlier. It's highly dependent on the make and build of the actors you're using.

hmmmm..if you think about it, how can an uber thin human being be a werewolf? Doesn't it take alot of energy for shifting? That uber thin human may not survive the process.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It's debatable, but while I do agree with your points W.O., I still think most werewolves would be a little more on the muscular side because:

1) Muscle improvement during shifting makes more sense than fat development.

2) Lycanthropy in various definitions (including the Freeborn version) is described as being a painful, sometimes fatal, procedure. A person with no muscle or fat, I believe, would be less likely to survive the shift.

And it's good to know I'm not the only one. I know that no matter how the werewolf fur is designed it will be thick enough to not see individual veins like that, but still, there is a point (veins or otherwise) when muscles can seem excessive and restrictive (no Craig Marduk-looking werewolves, please).
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

They should be muscly enough to realistically be able to do whatever the directors decide they can do. We've established they can lift a car. So they should be muscly enough to lift a car.

Some will argue that a bear could lift a car but doesn't look uber-muscly. That doesn't really apply here, however (in my opinion). The reason it doesn't apply is because the gestalt form is more humanoid in overall body structure than animal (at least, that seems to be what most of us are leaning toward). And a human who can lift a car definitely has muscles. So therefore, the gestalt form should have signifcant musculature as well.

I voted for the second option.
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

You don't really have to show a lot of muscle to be really strong... nobody uses one hundred percent of their muscles anyway... you could say that werewolves can use a higher percentage of their muscles than normal humans do, however their gestalt form should depend on how the person looks too...

.... just a thought...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again.

They should be muscly enough to realistically be able to do whatever the directors decide they can do. We've established they can lift a car. So they should be muscly enough to lift a car.

Some will argue that a bear could lift a car but doesn't look uber-muscly. That doesn't really apply here, however (in my opinion). The reason it doesn't apply is because the gestalt form is more humanoid in overall body structure than animal (at least, that seems to be what most of us are leaning toward). And a human who can lift a car definitely has muscles. So therefore, the gestalt form should have signifcant musculature as well.

I voted for the second option.
lift a car? How so? over its head? lifting the back end only?
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

It depends. Werewolves are also supernatural beings. Depending on what legend you go with or what representation, muscle may not be the thing doing the lifting.
For example: In the Anita Blake books (my faves, shapeshifter-wise...I tend to go with them most) the werewolves vary depending on who they are as people. But even in -human- form they are capable of crushing bones or lifting cars. One even carried a vampire's coffin, but he had to have help only to balance it. He could lift it easily, but of course that balance thing is tricky. But that particular character was lanky and delicate, and you'd never think he had supernatural power. With that power also comes speed...werewolves in the A.B. books can move almost faster than a human being is capable of seeing. They're just more superior.
Muscles don't equal everything. It's like the old chair trick. Set a chair back against a wall and have a guy bend over, ANY guy, and set his head against the wall. Make sure he's at a 90 degree angle. Have him bring the chair to his chest and try to straighten. He literally can not do it. Ask a girl, and she can. I've seen football players nearly collapse trying. And me, a lil ole thing, could do it.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

This poll came as a result of the "most people prefer muscle-y werewolves" comment. I really was just polling for personal preferece as opposed to what would be good for Freeborn. Maybe I should've said that to begin with.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Excelsia wrote: We've established they can lift a car. So they should be muscly enough to lift a car.
We did? ...since when? Image

Flip one over, sure, but I'd be really suprised to see a werewolf in Freeborn grab on to a car or small truck and lift it entirely into the air. ...unless the person who becomes that werewolf was very big and strong to begin with.

Again...that is just how I feel they would/should be in the semi-plausable universe of the Freeborn film. In a comic book or a more heavily action based Werewolf film on the other hand, I would be somewhat dissapointed if the strongest werewolf couldn't pick up a sedan and toss it across the street, (causing it to, completely unrealisticly, explode in a Massive fireball. BOOM!). Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Reilune wrote:This poll came as a result of the "most people prefer muscle-y werewolves" comment. I really was just polling for personal preferece as opposed to what would be good for Freeborn. Maybe I should've said that to begin with.
Oh...well in that case...

I still don't prefer werewolves to be visually too muscular. More, "Built like a martial artist...lean, focused and strong", and not "Built like a body Builder...big, top heavy and bulging all over."

As Kick A** as Jon Taliban (of "DarkStalkers" fame) looks, I really prefer them to look a little more balanced. ...more agile, less brutish...

I stand by my original vote. (second from the last) Not visably" beefy", but not wimpy looking by any means.
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

You know...Timothy Albee knows how to draw werewolves. Why don't we wait and see what he comes up.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Sounds like a resonable plan to me Fig.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

It's not that I'm demanding herculaen lycanthropes for the movie: I just can't stand skinny werewolves.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon