How strong?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How strong a (gestalt form) werewolf should be?

Like a human of the same size/build would be
17%
Pick up a pony
23%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
38%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
17%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
4%

Total votes: 52

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Trinity wrote:Muscles weights more then fat, and bone more then both.
Bone is very, very light...it floats even (unless it fills with water).
Where are you getting that? Bone has a specific gravity higher than water (1.7-2.0) and would usually sink.
Bones are mostly hollow and porous...but really, I've personally seen dried out bones float in water...which would be "Where I'm getting that".

Bone marrow isn't that heavy either. A creatures skeleton makes up a very small portion of it's body weight.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Trinity wrote:But over all bone, I still say , is heavier then muscle.

WHY do you think steak or any form of red meat with bones Costs More? Its because it goes by weight. :) My mom taught me that. ;) *chuckles* A leg of lamb costs more then a boneless roast of lamb of the same size. Ribs are typical of this. If you take the same amount of meat, and compare it to the pork ( or beef ) ribs of the same size.., the ribs would cost more.
Hmmm...somewhow that just does not sound right. ...but I've never done any research on the subject. I only have my personal experience to go by, and every bone I've touched has been feather-light.

But those have all been dried out...and bone marrow is usually quite moist when alive, and filled with blood as well. Water (and blood) is quite heavy, so I suppose living bone, (and preserved bone marrow, like in a steak bone), would be considerably heavier. I guess I wasn't thinking that through completely. My mistake.

...I wonder if that is partly why muscle is heavier than fat? ...because muscle usually holds alot of blood flowing through it (which is mostly salt-water), whereas fat does not?

Sometimes I wish I had studied better in my High School Biology classes.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Muscle is denser than fat. Fat cells are really just globules of semi-congealed oil, stuck together. Muscle cells are smaller, denser and closely packed in stringy fibres.

Is it me or did this thread suddenly take a turn for the geeky? :read2: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

Ya it went geeky. ^^

:spincap: :science: :vulcanwolf:
ImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Koshaw wrote:Ya it went geeky. ^^

:spincap: :science: :vulcanwolf:

wait..let me guess...we need a geek wolf emoticion, right? :lol:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Let's just make them really strong and stop worrying about the physics. Don't get me wrong, I can spit physics all day long...but to me, a movie with werewolves that worries so much about the laws of physics is ever so slightly contradictory.

I'd say they should be able to lift one end or corner of a car and flip it over, but not necessarily lift it over their heads. While they should physically be able to lift weight equal to that of a car, a car is too cumbersome. What I'm saying is, if a gestalt were in the gym and he loaded weight equal to that of a car on the machine, he would be able to lift it (rather easily), but not an actual car.

Course that's just my opinion. I also feel that werewolves should be big and muscly, and 8 feet tall. All of our opinions differ greatly. Ultimately, the final decision is up to AB. Not only will he have to take into account our opinions, but will also have to anticipate what the average viewer would want. We aren't exactly the average viewers. I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking the average movie-goer is gonna wanna see some car-throwing action.

(No matter what decision we come to about the car...each and every werewolf should most definitely be able to chuck a human a good distance, IMO :lol: )
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Excelsia wrote:(No matter what decision we come to about the car...each and every werewolf should most definitely be able to chuck a human a good distance, IMO :lol: )
Image ...no doubt. Heck...even I'VE chucked a person* across a room before.

(* "A Person" being my little brother when we were younger. ...though he is taller and heavier than me now, I bet I could still do it....Image)

=^.^'= ~
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Vuldari wrote:
Trinity wrote:But over all bone, I still say , is heavier then muscle.

WHY do you think steak or any form of red meat with bones Costs More? Its because it goes by weight. :) My mom taught me that. ;) *chuckles* A leg of lamb costs more then a boneless roast of lamb of the same size. Ribs are typical of this. If you take the same amount of meat, and compare it to the pork ( or beef ) ribs of the same size.., the ribs would cost more.
Hmmm...somewhow that just does not sound right. ...but I've never done any research on the subject. I only have my personal experience to go by, and every bone I've touched has been feather-light.

But those have all been dried out...and bone marrow is usually quite moist when alive, and filled with blood as well. Water (and blood) is quite heavy, so I suppose living bone, (and preserved bone marrow, like in a steak bone), would be considerably heavier. I guess I wasn't thinking that through completely. My mistake.

...I wonder if that is partly why muscle is heavier than fat? ...because muscle usually holds alot of blood flowing through it (which is mostly salt-water), whereas fat does not?

Sometimes I wish I had studied better in my High School Biology classes.
Good example:

Beef Jerky.

:D

:shift:

Beef Jerkey would be to Muscle what dry bone is to "live" bone. :)

*wags*
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Ghostwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ghostwolf »

As it might as been sead in the previous topic, i think it depend on the training and the stength the werewolf in human form. :)

http://www.abrutis.com/video.php?id=821

If this guys was a ww, he might be able to lift a car over is head in hybrid form, maybe even throw it.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

If humans had claws, they would be stronger too. So I vote the first option.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ghostwolf wrote:As it might as been sead in the previous topic, i think it depend on the training and the stength the werewolf in human form. :)

http://www.abrutis.com/video.php?id=821

If this guys was a ww, he might be able to lift a car over is head in hybrid form, maybe even throw it.

Hmmm.....lets see him try and bend another frying pan without using his body as leverage.

Have him hold the frying pan out in front of him and bend it.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Morkulv wrote:If humans had claws, they would be stronger too. So I vote the first option.
*chuckles*

Cheetah have claws, and we could break their legs easily. They are faster then us...,

But claws don't make the werewolf. imo ;)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Trinity wrote:
Morkulv wrote:If humans had claws, they would be stronger too. So I vote the first option.
*chuckles*

Cheetah have claws, and we could break their legs easily. They are faster then us...,

Cheetah claws aren't sharp, compared to other cats' claws.
On the other hand, while it's true that cheetahs are endangered species, and yes, one could theoretically break an individual cheetah's legs, but, if you stop to think about it, do you honestly think that a cheetah would just sit there and let you break its legs?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Trinity wrote:
*chuckles*

but, if you stop to think about it, do you honestly think that a cheetah would just sit there and let you break its legs?
:lol:

I can only imagine that with a werewolf.

"Hello mister, may I break your leg?"
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Morkulv wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote: but, if you stop to think about it, do you honestly think that a cheetah would just sit there and let you break its legs?
:lol:

I can only imagine that with a werewolf.

"Hello mister, may I break your leg?"
"Why, sure I'll just stand here while you load your gun with silver bullets.
In fact, I'll shave a big bull's eye on my chest for you."
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I don't really see claws as making things stronger. More dangerous, but physically stronger? Nah. I could glue tiger claws to my fingers and that wouldn't actually increase my strength, though people would tend to avoid messing with me.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Excelsia wrote:I don't really see claws as making things stronger. More dangerous, but physically stronger? Nah. I could glue tiger claws to my fingers and that wouldn't actually increase my strength, though people would tend to avoid messing with me.
That was my point. ;)

*chuckles*

And yes Cheetah claws aren;t sharp, adn they don't retract ( which is why they are blunted ). That is why I used them, instead of say.., lions. They have more "dog like" reaons ( traction and grip ) for their claws then "cat like" reasons ( gripping prey, slashing ).

:)

;)

*chuckles at teh above comments* I love you guys, you so funny. :)

*grins*
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

I just love these forums. After popping a question you can just sit back and watch people bring up every point you've ever thought of. And a few funny remerks and jokes alongside.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Merrypaws wrote:I just love these forums. After popping a question you can just sit back and watch people bring up every point you've ever thought of. And a few funny remerks and jokes alongside.

Don't forget some new wolf emoticons. Thats where I get some of my ideas. :wink:
KnownToBite
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Beta Female of The C-Oney Wolf Pack

Post by KnownToBite »

put a wolf and a man together, there's your strength
Jasmine Isis
Beta Female to The Real Life C-Oney Wolf Pack
Mate to Syn Kardis
Mother to 2 beautiful kids - Damien Marcus and Scarlette Eden
Mother to 2 beautiful wolves - Isis(f mexican red) and Osiris(m timberwolf)
Mother to a beautiful red fox kit - Pyro
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

See now I have this image of someone tying a wolf and a person together.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
wolfboy410
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: wrath

Re:

Post by wolfboy410 »

NarnianWolfen wrote:I think they should be strong enough to lift a small car, but not CARRY it. They'd need someone else to balance it cos a car is an awkward thing to carry, like trying to carry a big screen tv. One guy might be able to lift it, but he'd need someone on the other end to stabilize it.
well not if they pick it up from the underneath then its perfictly balanced if they lift it over their head
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Re:

Post by Apokryltaros »

wolfboy410 wrote:
NarnianWolfen wrote:I think they should be strong enough to lift a small car, but not CARRY it. They'd need someone else to balance it cos a car is an awkward thing to carry, like trying to carry a big screen tv. One guy might be able to lift it, but he'd need someone on the other end to stabilize it.
well not if they pick it up from the underneath then its perfictly balanced if they lift it over their head
So, how do you pick up a car from underneath it?
-Calculon
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: How strong?

Post by RedEye »

Picking up a car from underneath is easy if you're Reed Richards aka Mr. Fantastic and also a werewolf. :lol:

Otherwise that old devil balance gets into the act, and the car stays put while you get a hernia (Werewolf or not). :cry:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
wolfboy410
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: wrath

Re: Re:

Post by wolfboy410 »

Apokryltaros wrote:
wolfboy410 wrote:
So, how do you pick up a car from underneath it?
they can go underneath it then shift or they can lean it on there side the grab it from there