Hunters

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Well the one-way mirror option wouldn't work if the if the werewolf's hearing is better in human form, since he would be able to hear (and maybe smell, depending) the people on the other side of the glass.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Good point. Glass has a tendency to vibrate and transmit sound rather effectively.
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

I wouldn't say effectively it's not as if it amplifies sound.

Though when it comes to hunters I think it might be a bit selfish to think there'd be an entire division devoted entirely to their destruction. If I were a paranoid government official in a position of authority I'd use a plain old special forces unit or worse....
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

But it's not a paranoid government official; it's more like some large group or organization that wants to keep its hands clean, and sees benefit in using hunters that could be taken for loonies if caught by the police force.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Akela wrote:I wouldn't say effectively it's not as if it amplifies sound.
No, the werewolf's hearing advantage would do that. However solids in general conduct sounds better and more efficiently than gasses or liquids.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Akela wrote:I wouldn't say effectively it's not as if it amplifies sound.
I doesn't amplify, but it transmits it quite clearly, I believe. The rest can be taken care of by the werewolf's hearing, as Lupin says.
Sanity is relative.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Aff, glass is a good transmiter. As a matter of fact, there are listining divices that can read the subtle vibrations off of windows from hundreds of feet away.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Ah, yes. Laser reflection listeners. They'll work on any reflective surface.

Anyway. I think we've hammered this point into the ground.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Heh, I've always wanted to get one of those. But then I realized that people's conversations are boring, and I don't have anyone to use it on.
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Hmmmm, werewolf hunters..... are indeed a very special sort of human. I think there might certainly be some ww hunters, but their numbers are small, and usually work alone or in small groups. The only way i'd see a full scale army of hunters would be if werewolves were somehow proven to exist without a doubt (think the ending of John Carpenter's They Live where all the alien's disguises vanish so everyone can see what they really look like. -something that forces werewolves into thier geslat form)

and for a werewolf hunter to start their infamous 'career' they have to somehow learn the secret, and have some negetive event to happen along with it so they hate werewolves enough to hunt them.

scenerio:
Bob is a regular human that likes to hunt deer living in rural Montana, and because in part of his abusive nature, has just gone though an ugly divorce with Kim, who until recently, was the woman of his dreams. Bob finds out after a couple months that Kim has new boyfriend/lover Jim (who unaware to others is a werewolf)

Kim and Jim are having a good relationship while Bob is getting hit bad on his side of the divorce, and eventually grows to dislike/hate & be jealous of Jim.

Kim has been with jim for a year and just started living with him. and Jim has been testing her a little and getting premission from the rest of his pack decides to show Kim that he's a werewolf, and decides to do so. Kim is very surprised at first but soon adjusts to the situation (kim's had a secret liking of wolves which helps)
Kim is later introduced to the pack, and after going though a trial peroid of learning whats a werewolf like and how they live, decides to become one, and eventually Jim bites her.

Back to Bob-
Bob's attitude on life has gone downhill, and blames Jim for taking Kim away from him. On the night that happens to be Kim's first change, after drinking some, he takes a shotgun with him.
Bob shows up at Jim's house, Jim is in gersalt form, and Kim is just getting ready to change. Bob forces his way inside, looking for Kim and is surprised by seeing Werewolf Jim, standing beside his ex-wife (who is on bed) Bob shoots & kills Jim, and gets to watch Kim change right before his eyes and in his fright, shoots and kills Kim too.
After getting killed, Jim&Kim revert to Normal, Bob thinks that Jim is an evil monster and turned Kim into one as well. To cover up the crime, Bob burns Jim's house down with the bodies inside, goes home, and moves out of state, vowing to hunt down and kill all werewolves
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Ralith wrote:But it's not a paranoid government official; it's more like some large group or organization that wants to keep its hands clean, and sees benefit in using hunters that could be taken for loonies if caught by the police force.
thats the danger of being a 'lone' hunter, you get caught and claim that the person you kill of being a WW, you are seen as crazy and get locked up.

Now a hunter getting bitten by a WW....interesting situation, depending on person depends on what they'll do. they could:

cut bitten part off (inhope that will keep from eventually turning into a ww)
Kill themself
lock themself up every full moon
try to 'cure' themself by drinking/ingesting or wearing things that are suppost to be harmful to WW (like wolfbane, Silver, chocolate ect) in hope it will surpress thier WW side
it is doubtful, but maybe go to WW group hunter was hunting to 'join' pack

Now if a hunter is in a group, and is bitten....

Keeps secret away from others and runs off
Has others kill him
kills self
has others lock him up on full moons
and more doubtful- warns WW pack of hunters and joins pack after other hunters are taken care of....
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

or, he could simply use teh situation to his advantage and continue hunting other werewolves. Cept it might be a tad easier.

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Timber-WoIf wrote:or, he could simply use teh situation to his advantage and continue hunting other werewolves. Cept it might be a tad easier.
True, but that is also terribly ironic, and while there has been stories of half-vampires (blade, vampire hunter D) hunting vampires (or in Hellsing, Vampires hunting human-made vampires) In those sort of stories the antagonist is different than the Protagonist that is hunting them.
But when you get bitten and change into a Werewolf... there isn't any 'halfway' point, you become what you hate, fear and hunt, which is very dramatic, tragic, ironic, ect ect.

I just don't see how a hunter could use his lycantropy as an advantage to hunt other werewolves, plus since he's a WW, other hunters are likely to kill him just as soon as kill another WW.

Maybe hunter might get revenge by killing the WW that turned him, and get a nasty surprise that killing the WW that bit you doesn't let you be human again. :blink: :? :x

The werewolf hunting werewolf would probably be more worried about own survival over trying to exterminate werewolves off the face of the earth. become a rogue/lone WW living way away from others
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

perhaps... i suppose it depends on the individual.
- if the hunter was like a contracter, hunted and killed beasts for profit, he'd probibly quit the buisiness of werewolf hunting and find a new killing field. Depending on personaly, he could be the most likely to join a pck, but i would expect most hunters of this catagory to be heartless/indefferent.
- if he did it because werewolves are 'evil', he'd probibly become dissalusioned if they turn out not to be, and become an outcast/loner, mabie eventually joining a pack. (unless he killed lots o wolves in his time, in which he would probibly be shunned). If it did turn out to be bloodthirsty, mindless curse, he'd either isolate or kill himself, or simply go insane.
- if his job was personal (i.e. family killed by werewolves) he'd most likely kill himslef, go crazy, or, if he is a "true Warrior" (Marcinko), he would continue to hunt that which he lothes, dispite the irony of his being one.

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

Well, how about this, and you may have already discussed it. If so I apologize for being repetative.

But, lets say that some branch of the government discovers that werewolves are indeed real, sorta like they did on Buffy, and decides to send out small armed groups to hunt them. Not for capture, but to kill. Now, one of the group of soldiers is bit and the werewolf escapes. His buddies know how he got bit, they were there. Wouldn't their perspective change a little toward hunting werewolves....or would they just shoot their buddy to put him out of, what they would call, "his misery"?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Leighlia wrote:But, lets say that some branch of the government discovers that werewolves are indeed real, sorta like they did on Buffy, and decides to send out small armed groups to hunt them. Not for capture, but to kill. Now, one of the group of soldiers is bit and the werewolf escapes. His buddies know how he got bit, they were there. Wouldn't their perspective change a little toward hunting werewolves....or would they just shoot their buddy to put him out of, what they would call, "his misery"?
I think that would depend a lot on why they were told to go out and kill them.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

And on how well they know and like the bitten soldier.
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Well if the Government was using professional soldiers to do that the chances are they would kill the infected soldiers, they would probably need to be able to handle doing something like that to get hired in the first place.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

That would make an interesting story in and of itself. A squad of werewolf-hunting soldiers... botched operation... one gets bitten, and procedure is to kill him, but he has a friend... escape... hiding from the government as the bitten man begins to feel the effects, and his friend tries to come to terms with the situation... Someone find an author :)
Sanity is relative.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yes, but that's just the thing, they wouldn't have even aquaintances in the same squad for that very reason, it only makes sense that they would hire merciless and cold blooded killers. Just offer them a pay so high that they'd gladly kill their own comrades.

As the Godfather says; "It's not personal, it's business"
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

But it's inevetable that something like that would happen eventually. No psychological screening/recruitment technique/whatever is perfect.
Sanity is relative.
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

Hmmm....you're right, that would make a good story in and of itself. *Grabs a notebook and starts jotting down notes* I'll add it to my list of "To Be Written".
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith wrote:But it's inevetable that something like that would happen eventually. No psychological screening/recruitment technique/whatever is perfect.
Not to mention if these people were trrained and are working together, there is going to be some sort of emotional bond formed between them.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Exactly.
Sanity is relative.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

part of the bond thing might be a common experiance with werewolves, i.e. a friend or family member killed by one. though, i still think that the majority of werewolves wouldn't hurt a human on purpose any more than a regular human would, not that that'd matter to anyone who could peg the death on something other than human. common 'us and them' mentality, sad but true.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read: