Hunters

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Akela wrote:Yes, I have no idea why that was said as I clearly stated I was talking about the Inquisiton and not the church, which are two seperate entities entirely.
The Catholic Church 500 years ago was very, very different than it is today. It is no insult to today's Catholics to say that, hundreds of years ago, some members of their organization did some bad things. Even back then, not everyone agreed with it.

Plus, there are a lot of exciting fictional scenarios to explore based loosely on the Inquisition.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

:x werewolf hunters would be people that know enough that the understand werewolves exist but is kind of racist towards them and dont believe that any werewolf could be good, or maybe they have a chip on their shoulder because an evil werewolf killed their family,and they hunt biasedly.
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Oh, wow. I just now realized why I was getting confused!

greniar, did you realize that you chose the same avatar as vrikasatma? Heh.
:lol:

EDIT: Welcome to the Pack, by the way! :howl:  :oo

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:Oh, wow. I just now realized why I was getting confused!

-- Vilkacis

:o Heh...I was going to say the same thing about the avatar greniar is using.
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

Figarou wrote:
Vilkacis wrote:Oh, wow. I just now realized why I was getting confused!

-- Vilkacis

:o Heh...I was going to say the same thing about the avatar greniar is using.

i realized it waaaaaay after i put it up
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

A common hazard among werewolf hunters, of course, is getting bitten and becoming the very thing they hate. I'm sure there would be more than one in which this was a problem. And, werewolves hunting other werewolves could get messy. Especially if their primary source of information on the legend is An American Werewolf in London, and they get in their heads that they can cure themselves by killing either the one who bit them or the first of the bloodline (who unless you have immortal werewolves in your storyline are probably long dead already).
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

An infected werewolf hunter? That's a pretty big conflict. They must realize that it's a hazard when they begin, so what would happen next? I guess they'd just keep going. ??
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Depedning on the situating it could fuel them to go after the werewolves even more, out of anger.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Could get some interesting mental conflict going on there; don't see any way to avoid an eventual revelation of "Hey, this isn't so bad after all," though.
Sanity is relative.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Could get some interesting mental conflict going on there; don't see any way to avoid an eventual revelation of "Hey, this isn't so bad after all," though.
Or the hunter simply utilizing the 'curse' to its full extent to further his extermination of the Werewolves, planning on killing them all, then slaying himself, or dieing by their hands.

Not only would the hunter have his hunting WW skills, but he'd have the WW bonuses. He could appear as a Werewolf to the others, then strike them down when their backs are turned.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Could get some interesting mental conflict going on there; don't see any way to avoid an eventual revelation of "Hey, this isn't so bad after all," though.
Yeah, but just by virtue of being here, you have a bit of a biased perspective. :grinp:
Not everyone would be so thrilled by the fact that they can change into an animal. Especally if the change is forced.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:A common hazard among werewolf hunters, of course, is getting bitten and becoming the very thing they hate. I'm sure there would be more than one in which this was a problem. And, werewolves hunting other werewolves could get messy. Especially if their primary source of information on the legend is An American Werewolf in London, and they get in their heads that they can cure themselves by killing either the one who bit them or the first of the bloodline (who unless you have immortal werewolves in your storyline are probably long dead already).
Actually, that might fairly commonplace among werewolf hunters. A rookie wannabe might be devastated, but a more professional werewolf hunter may consider it an inevitable -- something that comes with the territory. If their intention is to kill off lycanthropy as a whole, that would just add the one last step of commiting harakiri to their game plan.

And yeah, it's already been mentioned in other threads that the absolute worst thing a newly-made werewolf could do, hunter or otherwise, is kill the werewolf that infected him. Figuratively speaking, there should be no such thing as a solitary werewolf since for someone to become a werewolf, there would have to be at least one other werewolf nearby. If the newly-made then kills his infector, he will not only be devastated since he still is a werewolf, but he'll have killed the only person that could have helped him adapt to the lycanthropic lifestyle.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Lupin wrote:Yeah, but just by virtue of being here, you have a bit of a biased perspective. :grinp:
Not everyone would be so thrilled by the fact that they can change into an animal. Especally if the change is forced.
True enough. But we've agreed that past the first change, it's usually not forced, right?

I suppose some people could miss the whole advantages thing, and just be driven even more insane by it, though it's hard to believe someone like that would stand a chance against werewolves in a fight, or even discover them in the first place. I can also see some really dedicated hunters taking it in stride; that would be very scary, but perfectly possible.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:True enough. But we've agreed that past the first change, it's usually not forced, right?

I suppose some people could miss the whole advantages thing, and just be driven even more insane by it, though it's hard to believe someone like that would stand a chance against werewolves in a fight, or even discover them in the first place. I can also see some really dedicated hunters taking it in stride; that would be very scary, but perfectly possible.
It depends, with the Freeborn werewolves, the changes are forced until they learn how to control it. But I can see someone who isn't exactly thrilled with this not learning that.
DarkAries
Custom Title: Drunken Human

Post by DarkAries »

Quite honestly, if a hunter was bitten, I'd be more apt to imagine his buddies 'putting him down' before anything happened.

And frankly, yes, if werewolves truly did exist, they'd largely be hounded after by religious fundamentalist rednecks, but also by more moderate people who are very, very afraid of whatever could be construed as a threat or predator. The Security Moms would have a new target, and the blood that would spill as a result of it would make Darfur look like midafternoon tea.

These people would be organized into militias, poorly funded, using any weapon they could get their hands on, any ammunition they could get their hands on, and if there was enough fear in the area, there'd be a lot of them.

I don't think of a Catholic hit squad like Section XIII from Hellsing when I hear the word 'hunter'. I think of the Salem Witch Trials. Except there'd be much less organization, much more fear, much less time, and many more boomsticks.
*sniff* Ahhh...nature...

...Needs vacuuming, if y'ask me.
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

DarkAries wrote:Quite honestly, if a hunter was bitten, I'd be more apt to imagine his buddies 'putting him down' before anything happened.
My thoughts exactly. In their biased minds they might well be able to convince themselves that if a hunter got bitten, it would be only a matter of time before he switched sides. So even if the TF didn't change the soon-to-be-ex-hunter's opinion about werewolves, other hunters would most likely just mark him as an 'acceptable loss' and get rid of him rather than risk it. AND the individual might be so thoroughly brainwashed that he just might let them.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

And if he wasn't, they might have a point about the side-switching thing :)
Sanity is relative.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

hey if the hunters are really good friends, they wont be so quick to kill thier buddy just like that, they would probably captivate him until a cure or they kill off the source (if they find it).
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:hey if the hunters are really good friends, they wont be so quick to kill thier buddy just like that, they would probably captivate him until a cure or they kill off the source (if they find it).

Should they could. Because they'll think they're doing him a favor.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Hmm maybey, It depends on the person, I for one wouldnt be so quick to kill my best friends if they turn into any creature esxept a vampire or a zombie. But even if I didnt like werewolfs I would really hate to kill him and beside I know he will change back on sun rise. But wait, wouldnt that be harder to kill him then?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Terastas:
If the newly-made then kills his infector, he will not only be devastated since he still is a werewolf, but he'll have killed the only person that could have helped him adapt to the lycanthropic lifestyle.
That might not be an issue. From the werewolf's perspective, one might feel inclined to let the poor bloke fend for himself. If someone just tried to kill you, you might not be very sympathetic towards their suddenly getting faced with in themselves the very thing for which he tried to kill you.

That, and the hunter most likely doesn't want to learn the lycanthropic lifestyle. (Never mind that once you're bitten, wanting versus not wanting no longer enters into it.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Hunters

Post by Moonstalker »

Akela wrote:I looked at most of the topics and couldn't find anything relating to this. Of course there must be werewolf hunters. But what would they be like?

They obviously would keep their knowledge of werewolves a secret and try to perform less conspicuous killings. There would probably be several types including the stereo-typical Religious Inquisition figures and for the less religious; people who have taken it upon themselves to rid the world of the abominations for the good of humanity. These reasons should be fairly obvious just to name a few.

-Werewolves might be vieweed as servants of Satan
-An outbreak of Lycanthropy could be catostrophic

I truly fail to see how the use of silver would be practical when there are so many more efficient ways of dispatching a werewolf. Deadly toxins and sniper rifles would be good enough to kill one and still keep it a secret.

Comments and ideas would be nice..........

Hmm... goverment perhaps. They train humans to hunt down those who are dangerous to the people. Some randon teenager gang who are just something wannabe heros sounds pretty stupid. :|
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Terastas:
If the newly-made then kills his infector, he will not only be devastated since he still is a werewolf, but he'll have killed the only person that could have helped him adapt to the lycanthropic lifestyle.
That might not be an issue. From the werewolf's perspective, one might feel inclined to let the poor bloke fend for himself. If someone just tried to kill you, you might not be very sympathetic towards their suddenly getting faced with in themselves the very thing for which he tried to kill you.

That, and the hunter most likely doesn't want to learn the lycanthropic lifestyle. (Never mind that once you're bitten, wanting versus not wanting no longer enters into it.)
True. But while there is a slim chance that someone bitten could get help from the one that bit him, killing the werewolf that bit him removes that option entirely.

Besides, even if they were on hostile terms, if the werewolf had half a brain, he'd recognize two things.
1) He couldn't kill him when he was human, so what are the chances of him being killed as a werewolf?
2) If the rookie werewolf exposes himself, the veteran werewolf could be exposed as well.

So it's really in the best interest of lycanthropes to stick together. That's not to say that they always will, just that the ones that do have a much greater chance of survival.

Going back on hunters in general, I could definitely see a group of hunters "putting him down" instead of restraining him or letting him "use the enemy's weapon against them." A solitary werewolf hunter (presumably like the one in Freeborn), on the other hand, wouldn't have that option. He could always just kill himself before he "becomes a monster," but in most cases, he'd probably feel an obligation to assure that nobody else is infected. . .

Or if he's new to the game, he'd probably just flip out and hide in his room until someone in the Pack came for him.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

About Hunters not wanting to kill thier infected friends... it would really depend on the individual person, if the Hunter was religous they could easily reason that the werewolf is a different person and the person they once knew is dead.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Akela wrote:About Hunters not wanting to kill thier infected friends... it would really depend on the individual person, if the Hunter was religous they could easily reason that the werewolf is a different person and the person they once knew is dead.
*nod-nods* The whole "before he comes a monster" deal, like with the Sarge in Dog Soldiers or Mark in 28 Days Later.