Healing abilities of weres?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Healing abilities?

Full regeneration
18%
Semi-regeneration
41%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
35%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
No votes
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
6%

Total votes: 17

Tock
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Dark Moon, the time of humanity.
Mood: Indifferent

Healing abilities of weres?

Post by Tock »

I've always wondered, what would be the best type of healing ability for a werewolf?
Now, for those of you who don't fully understand the poll, I'll explain it.

Full regeneration is the ability to grow back limbs, leaving no scars or anything like that, and QUICKLY. Now, this is way out of the realms of science, as you can't get mas out of nowhere, but the weres in my book have more important things to worry about.

Semi-regeneration is where they can grow back most of their body parts, but very slowly, something explainable with science.

Little to no scarring is where they do not have regeneration, but they have very little scar tissue, and fast healing. Very fast. It's hard for them to scar, but when they do, it's there for good.

Human healing is where they have the same healing rates as humans. Or wolves. Take your pick. This is probably going to be the least popular, for obvious reasons.

This is all dis-including immune system responses, because otherwise it would get a whole lot more complicated. Anyway, tell me your opinion.

Cheers
"Sometimes, when the moon is full, I feel invincible..." -- Markus
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Healing abilities of weres?

Post by Terastas »

I picked semi-regeneration. They can heal from just about anything in theory, provided that it A) doesn't kill them first, and B) is something they can live with and manage while it's healing.

What I figured in the case of missing limbs, for example, is that they could eventually be restored by periodically shifting. If the arms get longer during shifting, for example, a severed point may revert with a small portion (like a quarter of an inch tops) when it returns back to the "human" length.

The problem, of course, would be surviving and going unnoticed for that long. The werewolves in my Inhuman setting think a severed limb will grow back over time, but nobody's ever sustained a wound like that and been able to keep out of sight and keep from bleeding to death long enough to find out.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Semi-Regen or Little-to-No Scarring levels sound about right to me. In a world with high explosives, automatic firearms and body armor, it's the business of monsters to be impervious to damage or capable of rapidly regenerating after a retreat from battle. Werewolves have typically fallen more into the "regenerate" category, typically being killed with either silver or by inflicting too much damage to regenerate from (IE, KABOOM!) :duckbomb2:

It also adds the element of that survival trait making hiding amongst humans much harder, which gives unique little story tidbits.
Tock
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Tock »

See, in my story, werewolves are all of those.
When the moon's full, they have full regeneration. And as it wanes, it get's closer and closer to human healing. The only constant thing about them is their werewolf form. It's always full powered, but it get's harder and harder to shift as the moon wanes, and on the new moon, it's practically impossible.

I changed this after I started reading Wolf Guy Wolfen crest. I noticed how similar they are. *cries*
Last edited by Tock on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I picked neither and instead made a tier-system that classifies how capable each wolf or other zoan are in terms of regeneration. As an afterthought, I also put in a potentially-fatal-but-not-100%-certain defect that can do dodgy things to the regenerative system, from minor regenerative glitches to glitches that can lead to disfigurement, right down to the good ol' "zombie syndrome", where regeneration is the same as decaying.
Tock
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Tock »

So sometimes, as a result of a genetic defect or something similar, their healing abilities can glitch and not go to the specified "blueprint" of the body so to speak?
Sounds fair enough, but could you explain it some more detail?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

kitetsu wrote:I picked neither and instead made a tier-system that classifies how capable each wolf or other zoan are in terms of regeneration.
IE, the more adapted they are to being weres, the more responsive their immune/regenerative system will be? That makes sense.
As an afterthought, I also put in a potentially-fatal-but-not-100%-certain defect that can do dodgy things to the regenerative system, from minor regenerative glitches to glitches that can lead to disfigurement
Good point. Bone wouldn't grow back (if at all) at the same rate as skin and flesh. It probably could grow back in a werewolf on account of their bones needing to have at least some flexible and/or fluid-like qualities for them to be able to shapeshift, but it wouldn't heal over or grow back naturally as the rest of the body could.

I don't think a disfigurement would be that big a deal because. . . Well, because they're shapeshifters. It would draw attention to them, but not as much as a stump would, and if they didn't like the way they looked, they could theoretically just wait until the next time they shapeshift and then see how they look when they revert. It's one of those things that I think a werewolf would sigh at and say "better than nothing."
I mean. . . Think about it: No matter how ugly you look after you heal, it still beats the alternative, right? :wink:
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

in my opinion:

Human form-he would heal 1-3 times quicker than normal human
wolf and hybrid form-he would heal 4-6 times quicker than normal human
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

i notice that in every topic about WWs healing and injuries we talk about healing what about toughnes of WWs body for instance being shot with gun(9mm or .45) at close range 0 to 5 m in chest human will die if he doesnt get medical treatment fast what about WW in my opinion WW wont be in life thretning danger but he will need someone to remove bullet.

what do you say about this?
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

I think it all depends what you want from your werewolf, in the original case, my understanding is the werewolf is a true nightmare, a way of saying "you've met your match, there's nothing you can do, you /will/ die, you need help!", but only to a certain sector of society which simply lacks the tools to defeat the monster, and the only one weapon is a rare and precious power in the form of knowledge or weaponry available to very few people. The implication is that the monster is otherwise indestructible, and when we think about that, it implies unlimited (or at least sufficient) regeneration in the face of everything but this special weapon.

But while we're busy relying on ancient single shot flintlock pistols and such to inject that precious element into the heart of the nightmare, we still don't know what happens to the werewolf when you throw it in front of a train, or drop it into an industrial meat grinder, would a werewolf get up from that? Who knows, we can but speculate how much we need to up the ante to keep the nightmare relevant, or even if we should.

My vote would be keep the two separated, if we're talking the original werewolf nightmare, just retell the story, and tell it well. If we want to move into reality, just combine the strengths of humans and wolves and call it a day, I've heard stories that wolves do indeed have some, albeit relatively modest healing capabilities, by way of speed, they heal a bit quicker, and it's something to do with their saliva, supposedly it works on humans too, making people heal a little quicker, but I don't know if there's any evidence backing that up, or studies or such.

Finally we could pull an Underworld and inject some unknown middleman to explain all this, like a virus, and with that the sky is the limit, you can make it answer just about anything, there's viruses and protein structures that can survive incredibly destructive environments and treatment, and it's just a matter of how much that can really impact what a werewolf would be. If I had to call it in this last case, I'd say anything upto but NOT including full regeneration, materials for regeneration have to come from somewhere, as in the case of the Freeborn script, if someone is dying from trauma and blood loss, just biting them isn't going to restore lost blood volume and give the stalling heart something to push, they might survive because of it, but aren't going to spring to their feet and gallop off.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

My storyline has soft semi-regeneration. They can regrow fingers but not whole arms. (A regrown hand will look funky and incomplete, and shifting over and over won't make it look completely normal.) Tails regrow completely and more quickly than other areas of the body.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I voted "human regeneration" but I really wish there was an "other".

I know that everyone is all over the superhuman/supernatural form of regeneration for werewolves. However, I like the concept that the transformation is the only 'magical' part of a werewolf -- the healing would arrive with the transformation, which already requires an enormous amount of energy and broken scientific laws. Even as part of the transformation I imagine it as a super rapid form of normal regeneration -- as in, healing that would happen over days would be done in a matter of seconds. Perhaps healing that would have normally been resolved in a manner of weeks may still remain -- meaning the werewolf might still be bed ridden even during the full moon. (Such as a bone fracture too close to the full moon might mean the werewolf would have to keep his weight off of it.) Healing that couldn't possibly happen in humans or wolves -- such as limb regrowth -- just couldn't happen.

Of course, the flaws with this model are: How do werewolves grow tails and not other limbs? Wouldn't werewolves be covered in scars and stretch marks from shifting? What happens when a werewolf shifts with a broken bone and couldn't that possibly destroy the bones ability to ever heal if it was so bad in the first place? (something far worse than a fracture)

However, as a safe guard against injuries/sickness that would outright kill a werewolf upon shifting, I imagine that the body would simply be too week to perform a full shift or even part of one. Perhaps all the energy will go to healing before the shift itself is completed. (kind of like 'resetting' to the 'preferred' genetic model before turning on the wolfer genes.)

In the mean time, between transformations, human regeneration it is.
:shift:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

I belive werewolf should not regenerate limbs, organs, but can regenerate claws and teeth, becouse it would rise suspicion example: you have a working accident and you lose an arm and in two weeks your arm is back.Lack of scars can be explained so werewolfs can heal without scaring.
Healing needs too be slow in human form so you do not rise too much suspicion, but how fast can healing be without rising suspicion is debatable my bet is that two times faster than normal humans healing is maximum.