Would you Willingly turn someone?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Would you Willingly turn someone?

Post by Grey »

Would you Turn someone if you had the chance?

What if they asked you to?
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Would you Willingly turn someone?

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Not if it was against their will, and not if I didn't have complete trust in their judgement. If it was against their will, it would be monumentally immoral. If they were unstable and/or incompetent, it would be monumentally stupid.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

U.T.S. pretty much summed it up for me. Were I a werewolf, I would recognize that I couldn't be 100% self-sufficient and want to get a pack together as soon as possible, but I would still be very selective over who I even so much as confessed to being a werewolf, much less infect.

Honestly, I think I'd spend a lot more time and effort looking for people who are already werewolves before I consider making new ones. I mean, I couldn't be in this theoretical "would you" scenario unless somebody had already made that decision in regards to me, right? So if I've got lycanthropy, there's got to be at least that one other werewolf in the area who I got it from.

But yes, I would turn others, but only if A) the person was mentally and financially stable (mentally so they aren't tempted to go berserk or reveal themselves, financially so they aren't tempted to infect others for money), B) the person was capable of keeping secrets, and C) I had an exit strategy (IE: a way to get rid of them quickly just in case they weren't trustworthy. I'd think of passing on lycanthropy less as an infection and more as a certification that this person is now my friend, my family, and my problem for life.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Only if he/she asks nicely. :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

NO. N-O.

What abilities I get, I keep for myself, especially ones I have enough trouble with. The world doesn't need one more potentially unstable neophyte/thrall/newling/whatever.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Me, personally, no. I would likely never turn someone except under extreme circumstances, such as if it's that or death, or if I were absolutely sure I could trust them and that they trusted me. Even a single other person, regardless of how careful they are, is a massive risk in terms of risk of discovery. It wouldn't even take a frenzy, or witnessed transformation or similar, all it might take is the two of us talking about last night, and we can't believe we did that, and there's no way I would forget having done something like that, and someone connecting it to dead animals showing up and people reporting hooligans on the rooftop of a four-floor building and mysterious cracks in the pavement below and train drivers seeing things racing alongside in the tunnel.
Connect enough dots, and even if no one pins the tail on you, they're still going to be suspicious of you and more likely to catch you in the act.

Honestly, I have no idea how the pavement got cracked, I would remember something like that.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
DWDruid
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Son of Fenrir
Mood: Indifferent

Post by DWDruid »

If someone asked me to change them, I would first tell them EVERYTHING about being a werewolf, instincts, strengths, weaknesses, and everything else. I wan to make sure that they know what they're getting themselves into. I wouldn't sudar-coat anthing or cut any corners. They should also be mentally stable and not mind that they were completely changing themselves. The only other way is if it the only way to save their life when they're dying from unnatural causes.
"Wolves, when you get down to it, are a lot like us.
They are powerful, aggressive, territorial, and predatory.
They are smart, curious, cooperative, loyal, and adaptable.
They exert a profound influence on the ecosytems they inhabit."
"Wolf Wars"
-National Geographic March 2010
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I wouldn't do it to someone against their will - in addition the massive ethical issues involved (as you will massively disrupt the other's life in uncountable ways) it is exceptionally hazardous to your health to give someone: A) A reason to want to rip your guts out and B) Big sharp claws with which to do exactly that.

Now, if they asked, I would but only after, as others mentioned, quite some consideration. Makin' sure the other is mentally healthy enough for such, won't do anything harmful to me or lycanthropes as a whole, etc. Because once you do something like that, it is your responsibility. Not something done lightly.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Strength in numbers; I'd do so for someone who wished it. Never randomly or on anyone who is not giving what we in medicine refer to as informed consent.

I stood, trembling with both anticipation and apprehension as the great, dark, fur-coated figure stood before me, baring its teeth, glistening with a glimmer of the substance that would transport me into the same shadowy realm. The entity then reached forth with a document, three pages of paper, stapled in the top corner.

"I hereby indemnify and hold harmless the lycanthropic individual who provides on this [blank] day of [blank], 20[blank], to myself, [blank], residing at...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverwulfess

Post by Silverwulfess »

I would only if I had extreme faith, and it was to be my partner, maybe even after or at the stage of marriage, and would need to have the other person completely consenting.

Otherwise no, there's no telling what other people may do with it.
[center]For the strength of the pack is the wolf
And the strength of the wolf is the pack.
[/center]
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Talk about opening Pandora's box with a simple question... :P

That would have so many conditions to consider that by the time I'd reached a decision, we'd both probably be dead of old age.

There are a lot of reasons for, and just as many against. It would basically depend on:
How useful would this person be? How much does he/she already know about me/us?
What kind of Werewolf am I? (If I were one of the forgetful or crazy ones, the question would be moot, pretty much)
And...What advantage for the People would be gained, again assuming a rational werewolf.

Otherwise, I really can't say one way or another. ??
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Faylin Orren
Custom Title: Faylin Orren

Post by Faylin Orren »

Hi, I'm new here...but need to ask a question.
How do you even turn someone? Are they bitten? Or scratched?
What happens right after they are turned?

Just very curious...Faylin
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Turning someone, as in making them into a Werewolf (theoretically like you) is generally accomplished in the stories and movies in two ways.
Way 1: Biting them and thus transferring the whatever-it-is that causes lycanthropy to someone else. In Freeborn, it was theorized that a sort of virus was present in werewolf saliva and thus the bite would cause them to become Werewolves. :shift:
Way 2: Scratching someone and transferring the thing that way.
Both involve a measure of pain and the shedding of blood.
Way 3: This has been used in some stories and at least one graphic novel: Sex. The "virus/viroid/whatever" is transferred by intimate contact and kissing. :lovestruck:
THEN>>>
Way 4: IN the case of magical Werewolves, the "Curse" can transfer in any number of ways. One way is again blood born, see above. Another way is doing a specific magical spell in a certain way to cause you to become a Lupus-based Bimorphic Metamorph. :gandwolf:
FINALLY>>>
Way 5: No way. Werewolves are born the way they are (genetic) and cannot transfer what they are to anyone else. :family:

That's what I have for reference... :D
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Faylin Orren
Custom Title: Faylin Orren

Post by Faylin Orren »

Thanks RedEye...I appreciate your answer. I'm writing a story and it has werewolves in it. I want it to be as realistic as possible...not 'Twilightish'...ya know?

4ever Grateful...Faylin 8)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Faylin Orren wrote:How do you even turn someone? Are they bitten? Or scratched?
As RedEye already said, it's generally presumed to be an infection passed through sharing fluids. My own personal definition is that only blood can transfer lycanthropy, but shifting causes a werewolf's gums and cuticles to bleed, therefore they have their own infected blood in their mouths and under their fingernails at the time. Either way, the effect is the same: Infection via scratches and bites.

The werewolves in my own writing, when turning someone deliberately, have a ritual (or the closest thing to a ritual that the werewolves have) where the newcomer and the werewolf sponsoring* them cut their thumbs and shake hands with each other, but most were infected unintentionally by scratching.

*"Sponsoring" in this case is a verb form of "Responsible for." The basic rule of thumb is that a werewolf may be held accountable for the actions of those s/he has infected. It basically means that if you infect someone and they snap and/or split from the pack deliberately, it's your job to either bring them in or put them down.
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

In my werewolfry world... you're either born a werewolf or your not. You can't become one, as it is all genetic.

If I was a werewolf and conformed to the Hollywood concept of "biting" in order for them to become a werewolf. No. I would have enough issues taking care of myself. I couldn't guarantee that my bitiee would behave in the same manor or care for the same values as I. Needless to say, I don't want to accidentally create a monster.
McCoy_fangirl92
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Additional Details: Yes, I'm crazy. Any more questions?
Location: Arkansas (I hate this state. I want to go back to the west preferable northwest.)

Post by McCoy_fangirl92 »

No, I'd rather not if I was able. I wouldn't want the responsiblity of making sure they stayed out of trouble.

I wouldn't even do it for someone I was in love with unless I absoultly had to. Ex. I couldn't marry him because he's not a fellow werewolf.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.
Joey Liverwurst
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Joey Liverwurst »

I can't imagine turning someone against his will, but I have at least one friend who'd never forgive me if I were able and didn't turn him. Probably several, but I'd have to know them better first.
ladygrail
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Lady Grail
Mood: Happy

Post by ladygrail »

This is a tough question: Morally I agree with many people who have posted on the forum, that to turn someone against their will is just wrong... not that this is going to stop some people. :shift:

Then there is the issue of coming from infecting someone by accident which is a plot point in many stories. True people are turned against their will but this was not always the intent of the ww who bit them. This is the moment when the WW proves he or she is a good person (being) by taking care of the new person who is bitten or puts the bitten person out of their misery which is also a difficult moral question.

Even for those people who want to be changed into a werewolf, there are a great deal of things to consider. Right now we are speculating on what it would be like to be a werewolf. I personally have no idea what it is like to change, but must assume it will be extremely painful. The idea that you might lose all sense of who you are when in WW form, then this makes it more likely you might hurt someone you love even kill them.

Other posts I read take into account those who do want to be changed must consider mental status, health, etc. But assessing that might be very difficult for an average person to do. Then we have issues that being changed can create other mental disorders such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or mental breaks from reality even if the person is sane to begin with. :evil:

Still the appeal is there to try, to see if you can be one of those special people who does well as a werewolf and can cope, but there is no sure way to tell. There are those who will want to try, I admit I would be one of them most likely everyone on this forum would be as well. That being said, it would be up to the werewolf to understand, discuss, and share the risks with person going to be turned. Rule of thumb, no gut quick decisions if possible. Again in stories this is not always possible if the people are on the run. But if they can, let the person see all aspects of what their new life will be like and all the dangers that go with that. Many people after watching the shift to WW form, would change the mind of several people who want to avoid pain.

If I was able to become a werewolf, I would be very picky with who I would share this secret with and even more discerning of the people I would be willing to change. The people I would choose could be counted on one hand. I think that this would be true of people who care about those in their circles. Good luck everyone. :D
Kigai Holt
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Busy

Post by Kigai Holt »

Considering I were a werewolf that could have the mental ability to control myself in such a form, yes, but under quite a few conditions.

1. They need to be mentally stable, with no quarrels with others that I know of (Don't want a vengeful werewolf running around town)
2. They know every aspect of the disease, good and most certainly the bad.
3. Being a werewolf 'fits in their schedule,' meaning that they have the ability to disappear from public when needed (depending on the variety of werewolf we're talking about)

Lastly I'd do my own research on the person. Talk to family members (not directly about the burning question mind you), learn more about them, and attempt to determine if I think they're ready for it.
Joey Liverwurst
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Kigai Holt wrote:Lastly I'd do my own research on the person. Talk to family members (not directly about the burning question mind you), learn more about them, and attempt to determine if I think they're ready for it.
More entertainment value that way, though. "Mrs. Brown, do you authorize me to make your daughter a werewolf? Why are you looking at me like that? Who are you calling?"
blodyglass

Post by blodyglass »

It depends if its family or someone that I love. :D
Silvermane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silvermane »

Would totally depend on the person and even then I am not sure. Would also depend on the nature of being a werewolf. Is it the cursed kind like on Being Human or American Werewolf in London? Or is it more like the Howling where you have more control over yourself? Would the person be trustworthy with such power? Never can tell what lies in a person until some things happen to them so safe bet would be for me to get to know someone first, otherwise you'd risk creating a big problem I think.
Joey Liverwurst
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

If it were like An American Werewolf in London, I would worry about anyone willing. As unpleasant as Being Human made it appear, at least it turned out George and Nina could get comfortable together.
Dsnake1
Custom Title: Alphamale
Mood: RAR!

Post by Dsnake1 »

Yes, I believe that I would turn people, especially during a full moon where control was lacking. I would turn first, ask questions later. That means that I would turn people then after they find out what they are, ask them to join my pack. I know it isn't the most humane way of doing things, but the more you turn, the easier it would be to set up a community of just werewolves, a pack-town, if you will. This would be my ultimate goal, setting up a place where a large pack could live toegether. In this place, everything could be provided because of the sheer amount of people in the pack.