Werewolves and pets

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

bloodwolf_345 wrote:Twisting this about a bit, if a person owns a pet and is later transformed into a Werewolf, wouldn't the new Werewolf still smell the same whether in human form or not. Animals tell alot by scent. Honestly I do not think that if pet sensed that there was a "foriegn animal" in the area and it sensed it was bigger/more powerful/dangerous, it would act subbordinately.
It would probably go throught that whole ritual of establishing dominance.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

I think that a dog would probably act towards a werewolf in human form no differently.

In the gestalt form, a werewolf might cause even their own dog to think twice. I have a large werewolf costume, and if I wear it around my dog, he barks at me - acts as if it was a large, strange dog - looking nervous and eventually trying to play.
Even with the same scent, he still acts differently - though it almost seems more confusion - a discrepency between what he smells and what he sees.
I would think that an unfamiliar dog would act towards the werewolf as they would a wolf or very large dog - which would really ultimately depend on the individual dog.

Another good question might be how would prey-species act towards a werewolf? Is there a difference in scent at all in human form? If so, could a, for example, horse smell a werewolf as a predator and act skittish?
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

considering animals have been said to have the ability to detect paranormal things I have no doubt about the freaking out because of a werewolf, sometimes when a ghost is around dogs will bark at the ghost even if the human cannot see it

dogs sertinly are more attune to it, because often people will use dogs in ghost hunts like a drug dog, it will sit and bark when it detects something
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I figure that a werewolf in human form still has a distinct scent, though that scent changes with shifting. Your hand smells different than your forearm, and both smell different than your hair. Each, however is different from someone else's of each area, though they all are closer to each other than the smell of a dog.

My lead werewolf novel character smells a little like burnt almonds in human form, with a bit more like ash when shifted to Gestalt.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolves and pets

Post by mielikkishunt »

Silverclaw wrote:Do you think that dogs should bark angrily whenever a werewolf in human form passes? I've seen that kindof thing a lot in movies; angry dogs, hissing cats, ect. I dont really think that a werewolf would keep any pets themselves. What do you think?
It depends on the breed and temperament

I can see "Kickame" dogs bolting for the hills, screaming their little fuzzy heads off, or hiding under tables pissing themselves.

The bigger dogs, if they're scaredy cats, they'd be leading the little kickame dogs, the braver ones would be barking.

Then you have the wolfhounds :) Who might just go after the weres. . .;)

My were 'keeps' a large raptor, and a meat eating, fanged tooth horse :)
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolves and Pets

Post by mielikkishunt »

Suho Wolf wrote:I think a werewolf's reaction to dogs might depend on what form he is in, and how much presence of mind the film allows him to retain in "wolf" form. .
It would also depend on the breed. Some Borzoi are real snarky around 'wolf looking dogs', but then, they weren't once called Russian Wolfhounds for nothing(not that wolfs were the only thing they hunted)

The reason I think pets would react is because of the theory they can sense 'other'. .IOW, animals are said to react around places that have ghosts/poltergeists. . .they'd be able to sense something was not right with that wolf, and depending on breed and personality, their reactions would differ.
Lt Com Kyr

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Raise a dog when thier a pup and they want care whos their master. Plain and simple.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Sorry, but you're wrong.

I have a dog here who has nipped my hubby, because he scared her coming at her with a hat on, something he hadn't worn around her before. They DO care, and depending on temperament/breed, they're reactions will be accordingly. A shyer/timider/less socialized dog is going to freak out when confronted with something that kinda, sorta smells like their owner, but sure the hell doesn't look like an owner.
Lt Com Kyr

Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

mielikkishunt wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong.

I have a dog here who has nipped my hubby, because he scared her coming at her with a hat on, something he hadn't worn around her before. They DO care, and depending on temperament/breed, they're reactions will be accordingly. A shyer/timider/less socialized dog is going to freak out when confronted with something that kinda, sorta smells like their owner, but sure the hell doesn't look like an owner.
I don't think he was talking about a situation like that. I think he meant something more along the lines of the dog being familiar with all the different forms of its master as it grew from puppy to dog. It would be totally used to it by then, and wouldn't be terribly concerned.

But yeah, if a werewolf did have a dog and the dog never saw the master in any form but human, then a sudden shift to gestalt or wolf would certainly shock the animal.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yeah thats what I meant, thank you Renorei.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

even in human form once they're bitten, I can see a dog acting strange around his owner.
Lt Com Kyr

Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

WWs and pets

dogs would freak and run, bark or attack WW.Cats would hiss at WW.Oh yeah and there is this if you become a WW and you own a horse sell it.
ippondropkick
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by ippondropkick »

I love this topic.

I would imagine it would scare the hell out of most animals because a werewolf is SO out of the range of anything you'd encounter in the world. It's very alien. Dogs have seen humans, but a human turning into a canine? That'd be terrifying. Just because they've seen other dogs doesn't mean one turning into one in front of them wouldn't be scary. I've seen black people, but if you could change your skin color at will I'd be freaked out.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

lovec1990 wrote:WWs and pets

dogs would freak and run, bark or attack WW.Cats would hiss at WW.Oh yeah and there is this if you become a WW and you own a horse sell it.
I would have to agree to degree. :P I think anything that would be prey would dislike werewolf company.But I also think if you had a dog for many years it might just be a little on edge in your human form, not outright agressive.You would though prob have to stay away when you change.Depends I think on the strength of the bond you share with your pet.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Sevena wrote:

I would have to agree to degree. :P I think anything that would be prey would dislike werewolf company.But I also think if you had a dog for many years it might just be a little on edge in your human form, not outright agressive.You would though prob have to stay away when you change.Depends I think on the strength of the bond you share with your pet.
for your dog you are right but i was talking about dogs in general if your friend have a dog i think his dog aint gona like you there and depends on dog will he attack, flee or bark like mad.

you take your new pet to vet and other animals in waiting room goes wild. :)
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

lovec1990 wrote:
Sevena wrote:

for your dog you are right but i was talking about dogs in general if your friend have a dog i think his dog aint gona like you there and depends on dog will he attack, flee or bark like mad.

you take your new pet to vet and other animals in waiting room goes wild. :)
Um, ok :) I'm guessing you didn't catch that I had actually agreed with you concerning strange(not your pet) pets or animals.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

oh im sorry didnt read it very good and my english isnt that good forgive me.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

lovec1990 wrote:oh im sorry didnt read it very good and my english isnt that good forgive me.
No worries Lovec1990 :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Holy s***, 6 year old bump. :o So much necroposting.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Morkulv wrote:Holy s***, 6 year old bump. :o So much necroposting.
Holy s*** ,read the rules of posting
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

lovec1990 wrote:

LOL, this actually gave me quite a laugh.Many here do not appreciate necroposting.It has though brought back some convo to the board.With new topics or discussions not being created on a regular basis and the amount of traffic that the board is actually seeing,I don't see a problem with it.Thats just me.Since the idea of creating a new home for The Pack, forum wise, necroposting has also been brought up.Some don't like it but I also don't see those opposed to the act creating new convo.Yes, sometimes when I log in I have to laugh at the amount of old posts being brought back to life and the age of them but hey just two years ago we had this discussion and nothing has changed :P

Now, so I don't take this totally off topic,let me add to what I've already posted.The relationship you have with your pet would prob be strained quite a bit if you were a werewolf and eventually you might have to let that pet go to avoid its unhappiness and keep it from stressing out constantly.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Sevena wrote:
lovec1990 wrote:

LOL, this actually gave me quite a laugh.Many here do not appreciate necroposting.It has though brought back some convo to the board.With new topics or discussions not being created on a regular basis and the amount of traffic that the board is actually seeing,I don't see a problem with it.Thats just me.Since the idea of creating a new home for The Pack, forum wise, necroposting has also been brought up.Some don't like it but I also don't see those opposed to the act creating new convo.Yes, sometimes when I log in I have to laugh at the amount of old posts being brought back to life and the age of them but hey just two years ago we had this discussion and nothing has changed :P

Now, so I don't take this totally off topic,let me add to what I've already posted.The relationship you have with your pet would prob be strained quite a bit if you were a werewolf and eventually you might have to let that pet go to avoid its unhappiness and keep it from stressing out constantly.
yeah but some people are to attached too their pets so leting them go would be hard
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Sevena wrote:LOL, this actually gave me quite a laugh.Many here do not appreciate necroposting.It has though brought back some convo to the board.With new topics or discussions not being created on a regular basis and the amount of traffic that the board is actually seeing,I don't see a problem with it.Thats just me.Since the idea of creating a new home for The Pack, forum wise, necroposting has also been brought up.Some don't like it but I also don't see those opposed to the act creating new convo.Yes, sometimes when I log in I have to laugh at the amount of old posts being brought back to life and the age of them but hey just two years ago we had this discussion and nothing has changed :P
The idea was to keep the number of threads as low as possible so it would be easier to go back and reference discussions we've already had. As such, resurrecting the old thread is preferable to starting a new repeat thread of the same topic.

Still, while necroposting is the more preferable of the two, you should still use it sparingly. Do it if you have something relevant to add, and avoid it if your response will just be "I agree" or "LOL."
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

Hmm...I see no reason any pet would treat a werewolf in human form with any fear or aggression. It's not like any pets would know what a werewolf is anyways. Maybe pets would be more interested in a werewolf, but only because the person is different for some reason

Dogs especially wouldn't know because most don't even know to stay away from skunks :P
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

but if WW indentify other WWs by scent so pets with good nose will notice that their owner smell difrently im fan of that pets will act weird around you