Speech?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Tovarich_Volk
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Re: Speech?

Post by Tovarich_Volk »

lovec1990 wrote:
Tovarich_Volk wrote:A couple of things here. Does the braine completely change to a canid brain, or is there still human intellectual capacity?
well we all have diffrent opinions on this question, but in my view brains do not change at all and only way that someone snaps and go crazy is if he could not keep his mind in one piece during the transformation or any other reason normal humans would snap too.
I would assume that such a skeketomuscular transformation would be an incredibly painful thing, not to menton the fact that such a drastic change would consume a LOT of calories in the process. Because of this, you would find a creature that was not only in shock from the pain of transformation, but also ravenously hungry.

In short, you would have the proverbial ' crazed werewolf' who's only goal is to stuff themselves with as much food as possible, right off the bat. Not exactly something that would want to discuss the finer points existentialist philosophy. -- Anything that contains protein is on the menu.

Furthermore, any enhanced regenerative capabilities on top of the transformation such as bone/limb/muscular regeneration would expend even more calories, which in turn would create an even greater appetite.

Theoretically if anybody with good sense were afflicted with lycanthropy, they would want to stuff themselves before transforming, and have a good supply of meat, water, or perhaps a bunch of some type of sports drink replentish any expended electrolytes in a large bowl on hand for post transformation.

Then again, a newly made lycanthrope would probably not really have the experience understand what they would need, which would only further the stereotype of the crazed werewolf, if they were to transform without the assistace of others.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

well im not sure werewolf will be able to kill or/and eat during first shift, becouse my view first shift is so brutal that after it you will lie for around 5 minutes on the ground so that your muscles stop hurting enough so you can move plus im not sure you would be able to keep anything you eat down after all this so only thing WW would do its go to sleep and hope this is just a dream.

eh and topic here is speech :)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I haven't really spent time reading the entire thread in great detail, but let's say that you start out by speaking in canine noises, because, let's face it, you're new at this. You don't know your new body. You don't know which is what, what left is to right.

What's really to stop you from teaching yourself intelligible human speech, even with all the growling and barking still present in your speech? If even budgerigars can imitate human speech, then surely you can give it a try. I mean, you're half-human, it wouldn't hurt to at least try. And that's not even getting to the prospect of looking to a speech pathologist with a background on werewolves.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

JoshuaMadoc wrote:I haven't really spent time reading the entire thread in great detail, but let's say that you start out by speaking in canine noises, because, let's face it, you're new at this. You don't know your new body. You don't know which is what, what left is to right..
well this depends on your views, but in mine you cannot speak canine noises either becouse there is no instructions how to speak canine,but you could growl,roar and probably howl. I agree you do not know your body but in my view you can tell left from right only problems are that some senses are oversensitive and you will sense alot of new stuff and that this body has new balance plus four legged motion is not natrual too us so your mind is not affected in any way so you are still you on the inside.
JoshuaMadoc wrote: What's really to stop you from teaching yourself intelligible human speech, even with all the growling and barking still present in your speech? If even budgerigars can imitate human speech, then surely you can give it a try. I mean, you're half-human, it wouldn't hurt to at least try. And that's not even getting to the prospect of looking to a speech pathologist with a background on werewolves.
well your atonomy is diffrent so it would be hard to learn, but major thing is you will be changed normaly for no more than 8-12 hours so whats the point of learning how too speak in changed form.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

lovec1990 wrote:
JoshuaMadoc wrote: What's really to stop you from teaching yourself intelligible human speech, even with all the growling and barking still present in your speech? If even budgerigars can imitate human speech, then surely you can give it a try. I mean, you're half-human, it wouldn't hurt to at least try. And that's not even getting to the prospect of looking to a speech pathologist with a background on werewolves.
well your atonomy is diffrent so it would be hard to learn, but major thing is you will be changed normaly for no more than 8-12 hours so whats the point of learning how too speak in changed form.
Hard doesn't mean impossible. Us humans have the capacity to adapt, and it's not wise to dismiss the idea of being able to speak, no matter what state you're in. Communication is very important, and if I think I'm capable of re-learning, then I would NOT waste the opportunity. As a matter of fact, so shouldn't everyone else, barring the ignorant, and even then, all it takes is one intellectual to teach them all.

Just think of what happens when you're working with a werewolf who doesn't know the secret, almost nebulous werewolf body language, or even sign language, and only knows speech. It'd be a difficult game of charades, with some chance of failure. I can't stress this enough: Communication of all forms is essential.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

you are right, but for 8 hour per month some werewolfs would think its not worth it.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

lovec1990 wrote:you are right, but for 8 hour per month some werewolfs would think its not worth it.
"Some". Keyword there. By that wording, there are also "some" that think what little hours they spend having changed would be very precious learning periods.

Never, ever say never. If there's anything to lose in not trying, it's the grief of not knowing.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

I would wonder if a canine muzzle is even capable of proper human speech. I've seen countless examples of people trying to get dogs to say words, and even the best examples of such sound like little more than barks and howls to me. We know dogs can understand human speech, at least well enough to follow commands, but I've seen no good examples of them reproducing it to any reasonable degree. Comparatively, birds are not known to really understand human speech, yet certain ones can reproduce it far better.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Chris wrote:I would wonder if a canine muzzle is even capable of proper human speech. I've seen countless examples of people trying to get dogs to say words, and even the best examples of such sound like little more than barks and howls to me. We know dogs can understand human speech, at least well enough to follow commands, but I've seen no good examples of them reproducing it to any reasonable degree. Comparatively, birds are not known to really understand human speech, yet certain ones can reproduce it far better.
Chris shorter the muzzle easier it would be, but here is also the tongue if its completly like canine it would be realy hard to learn speech,but if its more human like parrots it would be easier.Dogs,parrots,monkeys will never speak like us becouse they cannot grasp the idea of syntax and grammar werewolfs could get very close to talk as us if they decide to learn how to speak at all.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Chris wrote:Comparatively, birds are not known to really understand human speech, yet certain ones can reproduce it far better.
Understatement of the year. Crows, ravens, budgerigars, lyrebirds, but most impressive I've heard, the hill mynah, as linked. Where werewolves are often depicted as very catlike in their movements and behaviors, those are the creatures they ought to learn from or be inspired by in speechcraft.
DW13
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: DTWX
Mood: Ruthless

Post by DW13 »

Intelligence overpowers stupidity & Humans are the dominant mindset, so yeah, I'm pretty sure you can still speak coherently whilst in Wolf form. That, and there are many videos found on YouTube that have some Animals speaking like a person would, so that counts.