control in WW form

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Re: control in WW form

Post by Chris »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Well, here's my take: First off, I think that the werewolf maintaining his mental faculties is much more interesting from a story perspective since human beings are complex things mentally. It leads to all sorts of plot-driven conflicts both internally (how he feels about his new condition - revulsion, excitement, sociopathy, etc.), and externally (keeping others from learning of his new nature, conflicts with people who have found out, etc.).
But at the same time, I don't think a person who basically just grows a fur coat once a month lends itself to very much conflict (some, sure, but not really that much for too long). The drama surrounding werewolves tend to be from those people or moments that lose control, either subtly by their newfound capabilities going to their head, or more egregiously by outright doing something they didn't want to do.

Personally, I think a werewolf that doesn't keep their human mind can be more interesting, especially if they can retain some memories. That's not to say they shouldn't have a mind at all (I agree that a purely instinct-driven creature isn't terribly interesting), but that doesn't mean the mind has to be the human's. Even a wolf raised in the wild has a mind, and isn't driven on instinct alone... though it doesn't have to strictly be a wolf mind, depending on the story and setting. If that mind is different, focused on different needs and desires, and may not see things like the human counterpart would, it would be more interesting for me, I think. You still retain the internal mental conflicts (literally, as there's effectively two minds there that may or may not be able to communicate directly), possibly with some added moral conundrums (that other mind is a sentient entity too), without removing what I think makes werewolves interesting... that werewolves always present some danger, and that changing is always going to come with cost and risk, since you can never be sure what you're going to do when changed. Whether you change because it's automatic (full moon), or as a physical or mental response (adrenalin, stress), or because you want or need to (being in a situation where changing into a werewolf could help save your life), it's never merely an inconvenience, or worse, a superhero power, and there's no hiding in a closet for a while to escape it.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

Chris: in my view if Werewolf gets canine/werewolf insticts he should have them in human form also how would transformation from human to werewolf give instincts that will surface when werewolf transforms?

Well loss of control could be subscribed to extreme pain and shock during transformation, becouse person is in such shock his brain crash and he develops second personality that behaves like werewolf or wolf would, but not all would snap so severly.

And one thing that was allready mentioned in this forum should be looked at also and that is Hollywood sydrome:

Hollywood sydrome: is when newly transformed werewolf belives he needs to behave like werewolfs behave in movies/TV Shows, but some werewolfs might be other way around completly avoiding doing what Werewolfs do in movies and TV shows.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

lovec1990 wrote:Chris: in my view if Werewolf gets canine/werewolf insticts he should have them in human form also how would transformation from human to werewolf give instincts that will surface when werewolf transforms?
The same way that a human body can transform into a wolf or wolf-like creature. By making something up that fits your story and setting. The brain is a physical organ, so perhaps it changes in a certain way with the rest of the body that causes a change in behavior. Or perhaps the spirit of some wolf or bestial creature causes it when transformed. Or perhaps a demon, or magic. Alternatively, the human form could gain the mental changes from their wolf form, as you suggest. It depends on the story you want to tell and what the story's world is like.

I'm just saying that I personally prefer it when the werewolf exists as a dual-state. In werewolf form they're not necessarily going to think and act the same as in human form, and vice versa. I think this creates a more interesting dynamic, keeping the werewolf as a potential danger and wild card, and not turning it into a mere inconvenience as you get used to it, while also not necessarily making it evil or mindless.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

Chris wrote:The same way that a human body can transform into a wolf or wolf-like creature. By making something up that fits your story and setting. The brain is a physical organ, so perhaps it changes in a certain way with the rest of the body that causes a change in behavior. Or perhaps the spirit of some wolf or bestial creature causes it when transformed. Or perhaps a demon, or magic. Alternatively, the human form could gain the mental changes from their wolf form, as you suggest. It depends on the story you want to tell and what the story's world is like.
Well in my opinion brain should not be touched during transformation at all becouse its too complex(too much sensitive data) as for spirits im not sure.
Chris wrote:I'm just saying that I personally prefer it when the werewolf exists as a dual-state. In werewolf form they're not necessarily going to think and act the same as in human form, and vice versa. I think this creates a more interesting dynamic, keeping the werewolf as a potential danger and wild card, and not turning it into a mere inconvenience as you get used to it, while also not necessarily making it evil or mindless.
You are right opinions are just opinions, but if we all have same opinions it would not be fun talking. Well in my opinion just transforming into werewolf form you do not become a wild cart, but it depends why did you transformed if it was just the moon it would be inconvenience, but if anger coused transformation its diffrent story.