Ghosts

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Ghosts

Post by Volkodlak »

i was thinking there is no topic directed toward this so i gona post here any way there is theory that dogs can sense ghosts do you think WWs would to sensed them?
Sevena

Re: Ghosts

Post by Sevena »

Last edited by Sevena on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LupusDream
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Winter
Additional Details: i am a lover, hater and a out cast

Post by LupusDream »

well ya, WW have senses like any other animal, like wolves or dogs. so i think they would sens them or they may even see them.
there was a time when wolf and man walked along side each other, but one day wolf and man would walked as one

http://LupusDream.deviantart.com/ <- my art :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Regular people often profess to see ghosts too. I see no reason why being a werewolf would make them any more or less capable.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

ok so we agree that they do sense/see them great another con of being a WW
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I happen to love this topic.. and we've been watching.. I happen to agree, and think that the 'unseen' to typical humans would be more 'visible' to werewolves or sensed in an animal way.. its a awesome.. :) great topic.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Will WWs sense them even in human form? if so this would give you more hard time because you will sense/see them normal humans wont and some will dislike it a lot.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I think personally while the senses of a werewolf are still technically 'there' in human form.. its more a 'muted' version.. like talking while covering your mouth.. you might 'sense' things more as opposed to just easily 'seeing' it. But I don't think werewolves would be clueless when in human form.. I think it also might 'vary' depending on the wolf in question too.. after all, in the human race everyone has their own variable levels of sensory perceptions..

One thing we're playing with in the series is the 'visibility' of scent.. and utilizing the very real sinestesia disorder in humans.. when people 'hear' colors.. or 'smell' words.. scent just 'might' have a visual stimulation as well if your'e a wolf.. would make for some interesting imagery. Adding to a normal scent, who knows what a wolf experiences.. granted the nose is far more sensitive.. but does that stimulate other areas of the brain as well? Who knows.

But ultimately I think all things are varied depending on the wolf in question.. i keep trying to avoid blanket 'all werewolves behave and experience life exactly in the same way".. I think the 'unseen' is a great great great plot tool within the storyline .
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

It seems to be a common theme in fiction that supernatural beings have a heightened awareness of other supernatural beings. So, if you have a very supernatural interpretation of a werewolf, why not?
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I agree its a common theme.. although I think its a theme we should 'touch' on.. but not to the extent where werewolves see ghosts in Freeborn. aka. being human.

More or less, 'something' is out there.. but what? no clue.. but there's 'something' .. if we veer too close to 'what' is out there we risk the series becoming about the paranormal instead of werewolves, and 'what' is it they see.. as opposed to being a werewolf itself, which is already about as paranormal as it gets.. (no offense to any real werewolves out there) :)

No, I think for us at least.. 'touching' on the sixth sense is a good thing.. but focusing on it might prove counter productive.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:More or less, 'something' is out there.. but what? no clue.. but there's 'something' .. if we veer too close to 'what' is out there we risk the series becoming about the paranormal instead of werewolves, and 'what' is it they see.. as opposed to being a werewolf itself, which is already about as paranormal as it gets.. (no offense to any real werewolves out there) :)

No, I think for us at least.. 'touching' on the sixth sense is a good thing.. but focusing on it might prove counter productive.
That's my take on things too. I enjoy toying with the possibility of the supernatural without outright confirming it (which is really easy if you buy the argument that lycanthropy could cause hallucinations).

What I think would wind up driving other "supernatural" creatures together, however, would not be just some natural instinct that allows them to sense each other. Instead, it would more likely be the fact that they would have similar requirements and motivations, and by extension, would have similar survival strategies; would migrate to the same regions, look for work or residence in the same places, etc.

Though ghosts would not be among the other supernatural creatures I'd expect them to encounter, or at least not without going all Gin Gwai on the audience by making ghosts really, REALLY common. Ghosts don't have survival strategies after all.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've thought about this one, too. My storyline has other paranormal phenomena, and ghosts do exist in my werewolves' realm. I imagined at one point a werewolf noticing something and wondering why no one else seemed to feel it. He starts to wonder if he's losing it, until a dog looks in the same direction, also appearing startled. He looks at the dog... "you see it, too." At that point, he realizes that his lupine senses are giving him the edge.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Florelline
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Florelline »

I think it makes sense that werewolves could see ghosts.

1. It's believed that any animals born blind (dogs, cats, wolves, etc.) can see ghosts. I don't know how well this translates to werewolves, and especially those who are bitten, but that brings us to point 2.
2. The fact of having enhanced senses, which has already been discussed, could lead to a "sixth sense" type deal.
3. It's already been established in Hollywood-Werewolf canon that werewolves can see ghosts (ala American Werewolf). Of course, that was ones he had killed, but it brings the idea to the table.

In my own writing, werewolves can see ghosts and interact with them in wolf form. In human form, they can hear them, and only see them if they wish to be seen. :)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I don't think there's a unified Hollywood canon. Even Howling sequels contradict the original movie: in the original movie, we establish that the full moon is "a bunch of Hollywood Bologna. They can change whenever they want to, any time." But, in Howling VI, the lycanthropic lead character is tracking the phases of the moon like an ER physician on the phone with the staffing agency.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Florelline
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Florelline »

You have a point there. I think the issues with anything being typical in Hollywood comes down to the same "issues" we have here-- differing ideas and opinions. Of course, that isn't a bad thing as it gets the ball rolling. :)

So, perhaps I should have said that the idea was present in one of the most highly ranked werewolf movies of all time. I'm curious why a director never went back to the idea, actually, cause while I hated how you saw the ghosts rotting (freaked me out) it was a great idea and was executed well. It was a literal haunting as a result of his actions, instead of the typical internal-haunting that is more present (if at all.)