What will you do...?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What will you do...?

Post by Uniform Two Six »

lovec1990 wrote: Terastas i think fainting would be rare in case of coming face to face with a werewolf(feral form)... because werewolf in feral form looks like wolf and there is not anything so scary about a wolf or a wolf pack too cause fainting...
Have you ever seen a real wolf? Gray wolves are a minimum of a hundred pounds (about 50 Kg), and they go up from there. The record apparently was up in Canada somewhere, a male, and was almost 200 pounds. That's a big animal. I was at Lackland Air Force Base once upon a time. Lackland has the military working dog program, and one day I was walking along and this rather sizable Belgian Malinois comes tearing around the side of a building and starts pounding straight at me. No muzzle, the leash dangling behind him...

Fortunately it turned out that he had gotten away from his handler to go chase a jackrabbit, and was far too focused on that to give me or anyone else a second thought, nor had he been to attack school yet. Nevertheless, here is a dog that probably weighed significantly less than a wolf, and for those few seconds I can tell you that I very nearly sh** myself.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

acctualy i did, but it was not the one in ZOO i live in village and we have forest near so i had a few visual ecounters with wild wolfs and wolf is not scary compared to wild boars, bears and bigfoot hunters.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

wolfwand wrote:I never thought someone will dare to fight a werewolf! I have always imagine them having an epic stare...
Thought... Werewolves always fight physically... Which... Makes them vulnerable to a strong human... How revealing!
Yeah, everybody looks to the horror films for inspiration about werewolves, which in turn were inspired by ancient writings and drawings. In the times described in these old writings, the vast majority of potential werewolf victims would have been beat up, out of shape, starving peasants, or over fed out of shape dignitaries, none of who would be able to put up much of a fight against a modern human either. So, they would need a weapon.

In movies, because cinema is a relatively recent medium, which grew up in a world rapidly becoming better fed, more fitness savvy, and physically and mentally skilled, the chances of a mangy old werewolf of the ancient texts meeting its match in a bog standard modern human grows ever more likely. But, in movies, the werewolf is usually the bad guy, and having a bad guy that some big bruiser could just beat into submission unaided simply would not do. So, we made the werewolf ever more potent and powerful, till today they can throw cars around, whereas before in all the originating text, all they had to do is give you a nasty nip (well ok, they can huff and puff and blow your house down, but I'm pretty sure that's just metaphore :P).

Of course, from a crop of increasingly healthy and stronger humans, a werewolf can be spawned with these stronger humans as a template host, so I can't be sure what aspect of a werewolf's strengths grows with the human prosperity, and what humans can do to match a werewolf in spite of this. In other words, will the power afforded by being a werewolf eventually get lost in the shuffle of overbearing human health, leaving it more or less redundant as a power of, let's face it, destructive force.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
wolfwand
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: A men who is pure of heart...

Post by wolfwand »

Huff and Puff :lol:
They can also be good guides in the woods hwlwnk Just the kind of guide I want...

*Minor edit of a smile face :blush:
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

wolfwand wrote:Huff and Puff :lol:
You know, do we even have a huffing puffing werewolf emoticon? If not, why not? We need an animated thingy of a werewolf blowing stuff over guys. Artist....GO!

The Meeper.

P.S. Yes I know I'm an artist, but I'm rubbish with 256 bit colours let alone animating what, a couple of hundred pixels? It makes me brain hurt how they get them looking that good :P
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
lovec1990 wrote: Terastas i think fainting would be rare in case of coming face to face with a werewolf(feral form)... because werewolf in feral form looks like wolf and there is not anything so scary about a wolf or a wolf pack too cause fainting...
Have you ever seen a real wolf? Gray wolves are a minimum of a hundred pounds (about 50 Kg), and they go up from there. The record apparently was up in Canada somewhere, a male, and was almost 200 pounds. That's a big animal. I was at Lackland Air Force Base once upon a time. Lackland has the military working dog program, and one day I was walking along and this rather sizable Belgian Malinois comes tearing around the side of a building and starts pounding straight at me. No muzzle, the leash dangling behind him...

Fortunately it turned out that he had gotten away from his handler to go chase a jackrabbit, and was far too focused on that to give me or anyone else a second thought, nor had he been to attack school yet. Nevertheless, here is a dog that probably weighed significantly less than a wolf, and for those few seconds I can tell you that I very nearly sh** myself.
lovec1990 wrote:acctualy i did, but it was not the one in ZOO i live in village and we have forest near so i had a few visual ecounters with wild wolfs and wolf is not scary compared to wild boars, bears and bigfoot hunters.
Lovec has a point, actual real wolves in the wild are not known to predate humans unless they're sick, or if you're dumb enough to provoke them, actually wolves think humans are kind of cool (they hung out with us and became dogs after all), and there's probably some evolutionary mutual respect between humans and wolves, just my speculation now, but I bet the last real wolf in evolutionary terms to have a go at a human, probably reeeeeeeally regretted pissing humans off, we probably kicked their butt a few times, hard, with our technology, and they were like ok, we'll just leave those humans alone now, just pinch scraps from the camps now and then. Making the comparison with boars and bears. Now bears will have a go at people, bears don't give a crap, although that's adding a comparison just to make the argument more seductive, but from that perspective Lovec is correct, real wolves aren't quite that big of a threat in actuality.

Now to Uniform Two Six's points, wolves are still specialized predators, and while there have been cases of a person defeating a wolf (one guy bit the wolf on the ankle and sent the wolf packing, yay surprise pain) if a wolf seriously wanted you dead, there'd be nothing you could do, let's take away all your clothes and lock you in a room with a wolf that wants your liver. Nice knowing you, see you in the next life.

The Meeper.
Last edited by Meeper on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper you are right, but i was talking about apperance, because wolf looks so similar too a dog he is not scary enough too make you faint
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Yeah, so am I, wolves might show themselves a little while they're keeping tabs on you, the difference is, you know it, I know it, that wolves will generally leave you alone. But, if you didn't know that, and not everybody does, what else do we know about wolves? They eat things, but they kill it first. Now what does that wolf who's watching you from a distance look like? Even knowing what I do, I'd be scared man because I live in the urban jungle, I don't know wolf etiquette, I'd be afraid of watching too much or something and bugging them.

It's odd, I don't know much about dogs either, but if there's no other causes or stresses, I seem to have a natural instinct for etiquette with new dogs, you don't go straight to petting them and interaction, you let them check you out a bit, sniff you and such, and you just kinda stand there like this is normal, and that's dogs. Wolves ain't dogs though.

The Meeper.
Last edited by Meeper on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

well thats the problem with me i know im sometimes watched by them when i go too forest but im not scared, because i know they will not do anything too me, but i do watch them so im aware of their actions. Meeper i think we are going offtopic and i started it by saying that wolf/werewolf(feral form) is not scary enough too couse fainting
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Fainting? I don't know, I guess it could happen, I don't know enough about the biology of fainting to make a case for it, maybe phychological trauma or extreme phobia might do it. The only time I got any autonomous nervous reaction to anything remotely wolf like was when a dog ran at me as a kid when I was sat on some grass, I didn't faint, my arms went up defensively, like dammit I'm going to take a beating, this is going to really suck, I felt a bit of a dummy afterward because the dog wasn't going for me or anything. :sweatdrop:

(Edit)

Fainting: Off the top of my head? The closest I can think of relates to the pattern recognition capabilities of the human brain, which if I'm not mistaken has a very strong bias toward face recognition. This is needed not only to recognize the face of your own kind among dense forest undergrowth, but picking out the features of potential predatory animals. The sudden realization that a predator is watching you might do the trick, you don't necessarily have to recognize it as a wolf, just that it's a predator. In fact, recognizing it as an unidentified predatory presence before realizing it is a wolf would probably be the clincher for getting someone to faint.

The only cases of curling up the toes and laying unconscious on the ground that I know of are not in humans though, but in "prey" animals, and only related to lions (I need to research more often). The facial structure and particularly the eye contact with a lion can be too much for some prey animals, not only can they pass out, they can actually go into cardiac arrest and die, just from looking a lion in the eyes. It would certainly be an interesting little research project to see if there's any documented cases between people and wolves, or even with other predatory species.

The Meeper.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

What about other way around that you are a werewolf in OP scenario and what would you do if that person faints?

i would move slowly backwards then turn around and leave, but if he faints i would have troubles leaving him alone in forest at night i would roll him on his side and check if he is injured then i will get some distance from him and wait for him too start waking up then i would leave.
Drachona
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Drachona »

I would judge them as an individual based on the unique circumstances. I would not assume that they are violent, because (last time I checked) that is kind of frowned upon in human society.