"Identity scent" for humans

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

"Identity scent" for humans

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

So you're a human civilian affiliated with werewolves. You want to meet a werewolf in a crowd, but you're the one waiting, and the werewolf is the one looking, and you prefer to be anonymous, so the werewolf doesn't know what you look like. You can't just do anything like flashing imagery or doing signals that anyone can get suspicious of, and you have to blend in by wearing that the average person would wear. You don't want to make noises either.

What about using something that a werewolf can distinctly recognize by smell? If not some kind of perfume, then maybe a bouquet of certain flowers that werewolves recognize as a sign of identity that, oh, this human police officer knows about us, they're the one I have to talk to.

The potential problem for this is most definitely the part when a werewolf mistakes a person with the exact same scent... which is exactly why you don't go straight to the point so quickly.

Food for thought.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: "Identity scent" for humans

Post by Volkodlak »

it depends on how you see a werewolfs becouse in my view if werewolf is in human form it would be very hard or imposible to use smell for ID so human way would be needed like talk over phone: dress in red shird and blue jeans and wear a hat. If werewolf is transformed he just needs too find human by smell, but if hes transformed he would rise suspicion.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

This might work, but I know only one good way of doing it. Hair of the dog good sir?

You'll need a scent extracted from a werewolf, something that cannot be replicated anywhere else by accident. That way there's only three likely outcomes. Either your werewolf meets you. Your werewolf meets another werewolf. Or, your werewolf meets someone who either stole the scent or otherwise acquired it by traceable means and who can then be checked out.

If werewolf scent is too funky for ignorant human noses, it can be blended different ways. Also potentially traceable I should imagine.

*Edit* Failing that, there's a tried and tested method, agree to wear a particular brand that day. Something rare enough to narrow it down and single you out with an on the spot casual interview. You know something that isn't fricken Lynx deoderant or something :lol: .

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Meeper wrote:This might work, but I know only one good way of doing it. Hair of the dog good sir?

You'll need a scent extracted from a werewolf, something that cannot be replicated anywhere else by accident. That way there's only three likely outcomes. Either your werewolf meets you. Your werewolf meets another werewolf. Or, your werewolf meets someone who either stole the scent or otherwise acquired it by traceable means and who can then be checked out.

If werewolf scent is too funky for ignorant human noses, it can be blended different ways. Also potentially traceable I should imagine.

*Edit* Failing that, there's a tried and tested method, agree to wear a particular brand that day. Something rare enough to narrow it down and single you out with an on the spot casual interview. You know something that isn't fricken Lynx deoderant or something :lol: .

The Meeper.
Bolded was sort of what I had in mind, but the particular blend that either werewolves or humans (with the help of werewolves to help maintain the blend's authenticity throughout the years) invented to help identify, with the recipe being a relatively guarded secret, something like that.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

JoshuaMadoc wrote:the particular blend that either werewolves or humans (with the help of werewolves to help maintain the blend's authenticity throughout the years) invented to help identify, with the recipe being a relatively guarded secret, something like that.
Yeah that's what I thought of at first, a blend unique to knowing werewolves and human friendlies. But then I thought given the general availability of ingredient to choose from, which are potentially available to anyone who looks hard enough, I figured the ace in the sleeve is to take a scent from something that nobody would ever think of, the werewolf itself.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

I agree with meeper, but this scent ID would work if Werewolf knows how too search by smell so rookie werewolfs could not search by smell