hands vs. paws

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

paws vs hands

wolf paws
22%
human type hands
78%

Total votes: 72

Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: lone wolf

hands vs. paws

Post by Wolveblade »

im not sure if anyone has brought this up yet but werewolf hands/paws

Would they be wolf like paws...or would they have human like fingers with long nails/ claws? Or human like hands with webbing between them and claws ? (half and half) Or would they be paws ?

Opposable thumbs ? Pads on the inside of the hand like wolf paws? Or wolf paws with opposable thumbs? Ideas suggestions comments

:wiggle:
let no sacred place in your territory be violated
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Well for full wolf, it would be 100% wolf paws.

For the gestalt form, I think it would be very human handish. Just furred with pads and claws. Maybe the fingers could be a little longer or shorter, but thats basiclly what I think. :)
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Gestalt form WWs should have Human-ish basic contruction with Paw-pads like a wolf, and nice long curved claws for rending flesh. :evil:

Perhaps a bit thicking or wider than a normal hand.
Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolveblade »

would they be more wolfish or humanish in structure

personally i think they would be a mix of both but more towards a human hand structure opposable thumb for gripping and stuff
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I'm leaning that way too :howl:  :oo
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

A human hand like structure, but both wider and thicker with pads and claws. So basiclly I agree with Wolveblade
Boo
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

As a full, quadrapedal wolf, definately a PAW.

In bipedal/hybrid/"gestalt" form, I think the hands should still look very paw-like, with thick pads, but the fingers should retain the ability to bend and grip, and the thumb should be opposable.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

I assume we're talking the humanoid half-wolf form, because a full wolf would obviously have paws.

But for a humanoid wolf, I generally think they'd have hands. Furry hands with claws, of course, and possibly paw pads (I have no strong feelings either way on that particular detail), but hands. After all, the point of the gestalt is that it has al the power and wildness of the wolf but with a human inteligence and capabilities. And one of the most basic human capabilities is the ability to hold something.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Claws.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

hand-like paws
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Arctic interests

Post by Prowler »

I quite like the hand-like paws idea as not being able to hold things would be so annoying.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

depends on what form, wolf 100% paws gestalt human like but has pads and claws
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Prowler wrote:I quite like the hand-like paws idea as not being able to hold things would be so annoying.
Yeah same here, how would my character will ever be able to hold a gun right and pull the trigger, with his tounge? :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmm...hands Vs paw.

A three-legged wolf walks into a saloon in the Old West. He sidles
up to the bar and announces:
"I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

:lol:
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

I think he'd have more guns on him then hands to help him. :lol:
Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolveblade »

Speaking of guns and shooting them by pulling the trigger with the tounge. Lafcadio could shoot a gun with by pulling the trigger with his tounge. (Uncle Shelby's Story of Lafcadio the Lion Who Shot Back written by Shel Silverstein) Just though I would add that bit of info. :) Even if he is a lion. :wiggle:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

This is for gestalt:

I think the hands should grow larger, but the hand should get more 'paw-like', but should still be predominantly hand. Shorter fingers, big claws, and pads, on a predominantly human hand.

They should be dextrous enough to open doors, pull triggers, press buttons....but not play piano.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

I think they should be pretty close to this(without the fire :D ):
Excelsia wrote: I think the hands should grow larger, but the hand should get more 'paw-like', but should still be predominantly hand. Shorter fingers, big claws, and pads, on a predominantly human hand.

They should be dextrous enough to open doors, pull triggers, press buttons....but not play piano.
Yep.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

:a werewolf steps in dressed like Beatoven(SP) and plays the syphony 9
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

A bunch of you have said you'd like to see the fingers shorter than that of a completely human hand. Do you mean that each individual phalange unit (fingers have 3, thumb has 2, from the knuckle - I think...) is shortened, or would you remove/fuse some to make it shorter?

I think there would be a few issues with mobility and dexterity of the fingers though, if that was the case. I mean, I look at my hand and the bones aren't that long anyway.
"Weresharks? You idiot, there's no such thing as wereshaAAAGH OHGODMYLEG!"

Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lazywolf wrote:I think they should be pretty close to this(without the fire :D ):
Excelsia wrote: I think the hands should grow larger, but the hand should get more 'paw-like', but should still be predominantly hand. Shorter fingers, big claws, and pads, on a predominantly human hand.

Yep.
I really like Goldy's hand design. However, I personally wouldn't include the pad on the wrist/forearm. I know that there's a parallel with canines, but that just seems odd to me.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

iolarnula wrote:A bunch of you have said you'd like to see the fingers shorter than that of a completely human hand. Do you mean that each individual phalange unit (fingers have 3, thumb has 2, from the knuckle - I think...) is shortened, or would you remove/fuse some to make it shorter?

I think there would be a few issues with mobility and dexterity of the fingers though, if that was the case. I mean, I look at my hand and the bones aren't that long anyway.

Truthfully, I've never really known exactly what I meant when I said 'shorter fingers'. Thanks for bringing that up. Now that I think on it, I really don't think they should be much shorter. The fingers would plump up, and become more like the toes on a dog's foot. Therefore, the fingers would appear to be shorter, because they would be thicker. So, I don't want them to actually be shorter, I just want them to look shorter, when coupled with the other changes that I think should occur to the hand.
Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolveblade »

Excelsia wrote:
Lazywolf wrote:I think they should be pretty close to this(without the fire :D ):

Yep.
I really like Goldy's hand design. However, I personally wouldn't include the pad on the wrist/forearm. I know that there's a parallel with canines, but that just seems odd to me.

i agree i like Goldies paws/hands
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

:? wierdness I thought that pic was Kyoht's now that I think about it, it is Goldies.
[arpegiuswolf]
Legendary
Legendary

Post by [arpegiuswolf] »

I always draw them with either full human-like hands, or half and half...
the mixed one would seem easier to walk on all fours with...probably, but would be harder to do things with...while the more human-like hand would make it more difficult to walk/run on all fours...but make it easier to pick up little things and stuff....

Whee...I don't think I made much sense there...but then again...I never do...hah hah!! :lol: