hands vs. paws

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

paws vs hands

wolf paws
22%
human type hands
78%

Total votes: 72

vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Digits slightly shorter and a little thicker, palms commensurately longer, thumb same size.

Claws are an extension of the last phalange covered in keratin sheaths, so you'd have the strength to pull a trigger or type a key with the claw. They're stronger than fingernails too, less likely to break. You can feel with the claw, they're sensitive. I've typed, eaten, handled keys, given massages and drawn with claw gloves on.

Has anyone ever heard Trevor Pinnock play? He's a famous harpsichord player, considered a virtuoso. I know a guy who built a harpsichord for him, and he used to be amazed at how short Mr. Pinnock's fingers were. He asked me once, "Do you think that makes a difference?" I said probably, because a short finger can be controlled more precisely than a long one. So yeah, I could imagine a gestalt-form werewolf playing a keyboard instrument. I have a werewolf character who plays the cello, flute and glass harmonium.
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I'm with vrikasatma; basically, a nice balance between usability as a paw for four-legged movement and manipulative ability. I doubt ye'd be able to do things like read braille with a gestalt's paw/hand, but eyes would regenerate if damaged anyway, right?
Sanity is relative.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Ralith Lupus wrote:I'm with vrikasatma; basically, a nice balance between usability as a paw for four-legged movement and manipulative ability. I doubt ye'd be able to do things like read braille with a gestalt's paw/hand, but eyes would regenerate if damaged anyway, right?
Would probablly depend on damage level really, A eye so mutilated it might as well have been cut right out most likely won't regenerate. :P
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

It depends on the level of regenerative ability you want your werewolves to have. Real animals that have regenerative power can totally replace almost any organ I think. So if it's cut out it'll come back.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Shaun's correct; at the moment, REAL regeneration can do that; why not werewolf?
Sanity is relative.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Shaun's correct; at the moment, REAL regeneration can do that; why not werewolf?
Because Someone miracously regrowing an entire eye would be I dunno, attention grabbing?

Getting found out for Lycanthropy would be easy. Lose a limb, when it grows back you are screwed. People knew you lacked a limb. People want to know how you got it back. Werewolves want to remain under the radar, less hassle.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Well, there is the thing about it taking quite a while to grow; an entire limb would take long enough that you could easily hide somewhere isolated in the wilderness and live like that until it regrew, where you could start anew somewhere else.

Besides, I'd much prefer to slightly increase risk of notice than to be half-blind.
Sanity is relative.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Lazywolf wrote:I think they should be pretty close to this(without the fire :D ):
Hey i like the fire :P :D

But deffinatly hands especially like from Goldenwolf's pics if they didn't have hands they wouldn't really need to stand up now would they it would be an almost useless feature and vice versa
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Thank you! Some credibility on regenaration. but anyway if you live in the big city like new york or los angales and you lose a limb and it regrows back in a couple of weeks then no one is going to care, nobody is gonna give a crap about your arm or anything.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Oh i can see it now werewolf kids maiming themselves for laughs and parents telling them not to do that at the dinner table i am not sure what i am talking about but its against regeneration!!!!! :P
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Allow me Fenrir...*chops off Fenrirs arms*
" they should be good as knew in just a week or 2...... oh wait thats right, your kind cant regenarate" :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Well, there is the thing about it taking quite a while to grow; an entire limb would take long enough that you could easily hide somewhere isolated in the wilderness and live like that until it regrew, where you could start anew somewhere else.

Besides, I'd much prefer to slightly increase risk of notice than to be half-blind.
Starting anew is pretty hard. there alot involved. You just don't run into the woods and set up shop somewhere else.

People end up wanting to know why a man who lost a arm, went off into the woods, and never returned. Raises Eyebrows, ya know?

You wouldn't be half-blind. No more than you are as a human, at least. I don't see Werewolves having uber regenatory powers that enable limb regrowth.
Thank you! Some credibility on regenaration. but anyway if you live in the big city like new york or los angales and you lose a limb and it regrows back in a couple of weeks then no one is going to care, nobody is gonna give a crap about your arm or anything.
Except the people that know you...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

true, true, thats why you gotta hide from them or call them saying that your gonna be out of town for a while. that should clear thigs up, and besides its not like your gonna lose a limb every few years, most people in the world have never lost a limb.
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Allow me Fenrir...*chops off Fenrirs arms*
" they should be good as knew in just a week or 2...... oh wait thats right, your kind cant regenarate" :lol:
*thinks of black night seen from MP and the holy grail*

and it's just a flesh wound just a scratch come back you pansy!

-Satyricon
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Aki wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:Well, there is the thing about it taking quite a while to grow; an entire limb would take long enough that you could easily hide somewhere isolated in the wilderness and live like that until it regrew, where you could start anew somewhere else.

Starting anew is pretty hard. there alot involved. You just don't run into the woods and set up shop somewhere else.

People end up wanting to know why a man who lost a arm, went off into the woods, and never returned. Raises Eyebrows, ya know?

You wouldn't be half-blind. No more than you are as a human, at least. I don't see Werewolves having uber regenatory powers that enable limb regrowth.
Except the people that know you...
Admittedly, starting anew in most places would be hard. I can easily see werewolves favoring the third world for this reason. Also, as others have mentioned, major injuries like that aren't exactly everyday, and thus the effort of starting anew is worth the effort.

Another thing, it's not exactly uber. It takes a long time (think maybe a year for an entire limband a lot of energy to regenerate anything major, and thus ye'd be left in a weakened state for the duration.

I consider missing an entire eye half-blind, btw.

The people who know you wouldn't be too surprised if you died from an injury like that. Anything less major, and you can just wear a pile of bandages until it's safe.

As to the dissapearing right after major injury: You're in shock, and obviously not a fit mental state; who knows what ye'd do :) Shouldn't be too hard to fake some sort of death, and it's not like ye'd be stupid enough to come back to the same place. An eyebrow raised once will eventually return to its proper postion, given no other strange occurances.

:edit: Back ontopic: Just so long as they work as both hands and paws for four-legged movement, and logically do so, I'm happy. Remember that digits would need to bend back further, and the actual hand would have to be lengthened; the front paws of a wolf are digitigrade as the rear.
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

As much as I love the drawing, I admit that this is where I deviate from the consensus werewolf a bit. I tend to favor the human hand, with claws, padded fingertips, and a pad across the distal hand, but not the two over the thenar and hypothenar eminances. (Yes, those are all actual words.) I like the idea of a werewolf looking slender and elegant rather than chunky, and a streamlined hand adds to that feeling.

Still, I don't consider it a make-or-break thing, if the paw-like hand doesn't look too pudgy or oversized.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

i think the werewolves should have webbed paws with a thumb that is above the wrist ??
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

greniar wrote:i think the werewolves should have webbed paws with a thumb that is above the wrist ??
But neither wolves nor humans have the first digit (thumb) there.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I like Goldie's paws. I hate werewolves that have long, hairy fingers. Why the devil would your fingers get longer? I think the digits should be slightly shorter, thicker, and have paw pads. I also think the hands/paws should have the same amount of fur as wolf paws would.
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

Lupin wrote:
greniar wrote:i think the werewolves should have webbed paws with a thumb that is above the wrist ??
But neither wolves nor humans have the first digit (thumb) there.

i got the idea from a McFarlane action figure (the cool one with the guy you could rip apart, not the "artsy"figure that had about 15 wolves coming out of a guy. . . thats just wrong)
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

They get a paw like hand. the hand would have claws for sure. the ww (were wolf) hand/paw is a mixture of sorts. But i wonder wat happens to the humans fingerprints. Im going to see wat you guys think about what happens to the fingerprints. start debatin
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

But i wonder wat happens to the humans fingerprints. Im going to see wat you guys think about what happens to the fingerprints. start debatin
I imagine that human finger prints would be lost due to padding on the paws/hands in full or gestalt form. As far as I know, pads don't have much in the way of finger prints.

And for the record, GoldenWolf has an incomplete tutorial on paws, but it has some helpful reference pictures nonetheless.
Image Image

The paw pad on the underside of the wrist was mentioned earlier, and personally I prefer that look. Paw pads on the finger and somewhere on the palm are important factors, but just that addition of the small pad under the wrist somehow connects the hand and the paw in a real way to keep it from looking like the werewolf is just wearing paw-like gloves.
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

Interesting i suppose ur right. they certainly would be different but could they be similar. imagine in a movie or something that ppl find fingerprints of a human in wolf paw/hands. that would be a interesting plot twist. of course it wouldn't be the some print im sure but it would definately be interesting in a movie. that could be how they find a were wolf.

Ps: i want a picture on the side of this but i don't remember how. i picked out a picture how do i get one on?
(don't make big fuss over me being a noob at this message board)
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Hands should be like human hands but not too much. Again... Goldenwolf is making a good example :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

CrewWolf wrote:The paw pad on the underside of the wrist was mentioned earlier, and personally I prefer that look. Paw pads on the finger and somewhere on the palm are important factors, but just that addition of the small pad under the wrist somehow connects the hand and the paw in a real way to keep it from looking like the werewolf is just wearing paw-like gloves.
I've probably said this somewhere, but I don't feel like lookin' for it so I'll say it again. I don't like the pad on the wrist for a gestalt form werewolf. It looks awkward to me. What would be the use of it anyway? That pad is for quadrupedal movement, so it'd be pretty much useless on the primarily bipedal form.

An audience in a theater isn't gonna notice or even really care whether or not there's a small pad on the wrist anyhow. It would all just fall down to aesthetics.