Increased Healing

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should werewolves be able to heal faster?

Yes
86%
No
8%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
5%

Total votes: 73

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Increased Healing

Post by Figarou »

fullmoonfury wrote:
When did werewolves become synonymous with RL wolves? Werewolves are supernatural creatures (and no, that doesn't mean magical), and their attributes should never be confused with that of the wolf.

Sorry for the rant, but I believe the qualities of a werewolf, and RL wolf has been too often confused. Also, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm bashing Reilune, which I would never do to a PACK member.
:(

Everyone has thier beliefs and ideas about the werewolf. Some say its closely related to the wolf. Others say its not because it also has human qualities.

Being supernatural doesn't mean you're "super," or have magic powers. Werewolves can die. They do have thier weaknesses. It depends on what the story teller wants the weakness to be.

For example.. a very loud siren can be a weakness since werewolves have great hearing.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

fullmoonfury wrote:On a side note: And I hope that nobody takes offense with this, but I have read a number of posts which proclaim, "Wolves don't do this... Wolves wouldn't do that.. so werewolves shouldn't either." Huh?

When did werewolves become synonymous with RL wolves? Werewolves are supernatural creatures (and no, that doesn't mean magical), and their attributes should never be confused with that of the wolf.
Since werewolves don't really exist (to the best of our human knowledge), the only things we really have to go on here are logic and legend. These two are generally in direct conflict, so it is only natural that there would be conflict between those who support differing opinions.

Our goal here is to make "the ultimate werewolf," but unfortunately there is no such thing. Everybody has their own idea of what that would entail. Nobody is happy with a compromise, but what else can this democracy yield?

So one person believes werewolves are all about magic, or curses, or spiritual matters.

So one person believes werewolves should kick a** and climb walls.

So one person believes werewolves should be only minimally supernatural.

So one person believes werewolves should be dictated entirely by logic.

And one person believes werewolves should be more like real wolves.

So what?

So you don't like someone else's ideas. Let it be. Is it really that important? Give your opinion to match theirs, and hope you can be more persuasive about it. And maybe, if you're lucky, the final product will have some little piece that you can point to and say, "Hey! That was me." But don't begrudge someone else the same opportunity--doing so isn't going to win anyone to your point of view!

---

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the subject at hand:

My views on a werewolf can be split up into many different categories, depending on the situation. For example, what I want to see in a werewolf movie might be completely different from what I would expect to see in a real werewolf, or in werewolf art, or in my ideal view of what a werewolf should be.

In a movie, I want to see something that has value. Something to give meaning to the time I spend watching it. Maybe I would like to see something entertaining. Maybe I would like to see a dream fulfilled, or something magical. Maybe I want to get an adrenaline high. Just maybe I want to see something that makes me ponder, or something that gives me a new view of the world. Maybe I want something I can't see in the real world, or perhaps I want a look into an entirely different world altogether.

When it comes to werewolves, I would like to see something that is downright awesome. It should at least be somewhat believable, but I don't mind if it's not 100% logical, because I know that could have unappealing results. So, I want to see werewolves that are bigger and more massive than humans. I want them to be unbelievably fast, intelligent and agile (I want to see two werewolves fight to their utmost potential, and root for both sides every step of the way!). I want to see a creature that would make me tremble in fear to stand before it, yet leave me feeling excited for simply having the opportunity to view such a beautiful and rare thing, and perhaps just a bit jealous. Give me something impressive.

But don't go too far. Nothing impressive can possibly exist in an environment without limits. There's no reason to be in awe when something is too far out of balance. Suspension of disbelief to a certain point, but logic from then on. And contrast is key.

As for the topic at hand, I don't find an incredible power of healing to be all that incredible at all. However, a reasonable amount is fine, and perhaps even expected.

In my ideal view, I want to be the werewolf. I am human; I can't help but want more than I have--to be more than I am. My mind is logical and experience tells me that even if I got what I asked for, I would eventually desire even more and more, always above and beyond what I currently possess. But that doesn't keep me from wanting it anyway. I am human, and my ideal view of a werewolf must include some way for me to become one.

So: werewolves are intelligent, rather than uncontrollable beasts (I wouldn't want to be on either side of that situation!). Werewolves spread by bite, claw, birth or exchange of bodily fluid. And werewolves are common enough that I might someday run across one (maybe tomorrow! =P).

As a werewolf, I would want to feel powerful. I would want to feel aware, and I would want to be free and in control. I would want a tail. I would be one seksay beast!

In my ideal world, I would not want my time as a werewolf cut short, so a certain amount of regeneration would no doubt be present.

Yeah, it ain't gonna' happen, but there are worse dreams out there.

In a real werewolf, I would expect the laws of this world to reign as they always have. There would be no shapeshifting. No spreading of lycanthropy (except in the same manner as most mammals spread). They would live alone, away from humans. They would speak their own tongue, have their own culture, and have their own problems. And perhaps, they would look up at the sky and daydream of being dragons.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

There you have it folks. One mans opinion on what a werewolf should be. :D
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

One of many, I should hope.

--Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:One of many, I should hope.

--Vilkacis
I have my views. Thing is, I don't feel like typing a long message like yours. :wink:
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:I have my views. Thing is, I don't feel like typing a long message like yours. :wink:
Meh. It didn't start out long.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Meh. It didn't start out long.

-- Vilkacis

But it ended that way. :wink:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Kudos Vilkacis...Well said. Image

I too don't feel that there should be only one "ultimate" werewolf.

I would very much prefer to see, read about and watch movies about many possible interpretations of the legend/entity...from fully scientifically plausable, non-infectious, non shapeshifting "wolf-men", to 12 foot, fire breathing, (capable of summoning an army of spetral demon wolves), immortal wolven gods.

I would be very intrigued and entertained to enjoy both.

...and at the same time, few or none of the variations of "WereWolf" I would like to enjoy in a story setting are what I would like to be if I, Myself, could become a Werewolf.

...there is no wrong answer.

(...and "there is NO Spoon." Image)

...sorry...I couldn't resist. Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed May 18, 2005 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
I would very much prefer to see, read about and watch movies about many possible interpretations of the legend/entity...from fully scientifically plausable, non-infectious, non shapeshifting "wolf-men", to 12 foot, fire breathing, (capable of summoning an army of spetral demon wolves), immortal wolven gods.

Same here. It'll be boring if all the werewolf films/stories were the same.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Fenrir wrote:Think about it for a second if ww have incresed adreniline, wouldnt that all the bodies functions are sped up, including the ability to heal oneself. But the regenerations of limbs wouldnt happen. But that is purly from my opinion, however stupid it may be.
That's what I was thinking

As for the tail.

Every human has a tail bone. I should know, I cracked mine years ago slipping off a concrete, porch OUCH

We've all but lost it with evolution.
http://www.gennet.org/facts/metro07.html

<<The human coccyx, or "tail bone," is a group of four or five small vertebrae fused into one bone at the lower end of our vertebral column>>

And sometimes, babies are born with vestigal tails
http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/anatom ... es/19.html

You can see what remains of our tail, so it just takes a bit of imagination to see that grow long(painfully long)

Trying to find the number of bones in a wolf's tail has been a frustrating one. Only pertinent information I found was the # of bones depends on the breed of canine, thus my Borzoi(Russian Wolfhounds), would have more bones in their tails than say a collie, due to length of tail.

So, in gestalt form, I can see them having a longer fluffy tail(Tail bones can be longer/bigger. .did you know, the giraffe has as many bones in it's neck as we do?), only question would be where does the length come from as a full wolf?
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Hmmmmmm.......Did humans have a tail during our exsistance on earth? What type of evolution was needed for it to disappear? What would be the purpose of the tail if humans had one?

A tail has a purpose for each animal. If it doesn't serve a purpose, then a tail is not needed. So, did we lose our tail during the course of evolution? Or we simply didn't have one from day one?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Hmmmmmm.......Did humans have a tail during our exsistance on earth? What type of evolution was needed for it to disappear? What would be the purpose of the tail if humans had one?

A tail has a purpose for each animal. If it doesn't serve a purpose, then a tail is not needed. So, did we lose our tail during the course of evolution? Or we simply didn't have one from day one?
Our Ancestors had tails...but that was LONG before we were of a shape that could be considered "Human".

Before Neanderthal and Cromagnon humans, we were Apes of some sort. ...and before that, we were probably large Rodent-Like Mammals...or something like that. Back when our ancestors still walked on four legs, I think we actually did have tails of some kind. However, when we began to become a climbing species, and it became advantagious to stand vertical, (a process that took millions of years), our Tails became virtually useless, and were just in the way.

This created a scenario in which pre-pre-humans with shorter, (less likely to be grabbed or snagged on something), tails had an advantage over the Long-Tailed variety...thus often outliving the long tailed ones and spawned more short tailed offspring, which in-turn eventually spawned decendands with even shorter, (even More advantagious), tails, and so on, and so on...

At least...that is how I understand it.

My knowlage on this subject is admitably sketchy...compiled from all of the discussions and lessons and TV programs I've seen that I can remember bit's from. I can not cite any of my sources, because I simply don't remember.Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

interesting :D
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

think we had tails for balance way back when, but as it become useless in every day function, it's evolved to just a vestigal piece, kinda like our appendix :)
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

fullmoonfury wrote:When did werewolves become synonymous with RL wolves? Werewolves are supernatural creatures (and no, that doesn't mean magical), and their attributes should never be confused with that of the wolf.
Wow. Did I really write that?

I really dislike it when a Topic gets derailed, yet it seems that I did my best to do just that. At worse, I came off as a somewhat disruptive jerk, and for that I appologize.

I blame lack of sleep, but sometimes my passion for a subject, overrides my ability to be tactful. In truth, I was never much of a diplomat.

Also, I blame my inexperience. This is the first forum I've put any effort into since surviving the hellhole that is alt.flame ..err alt.fan.furry, a couple of years ago.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm standing here in pieces...

Post by Scott Gardener »

I agree with what looks like a consensus median opinion, that werewolves heal faster than normal people, but not super-fast.

One noteworthy exception for those who use principles of biology would indeed be the tail. A tail has to form, with the exception of the first three to five bones, from scratch. So, a tail cut off past the base might completely regrow after the next shift, rather than "remembering" that it was cut off and not bothering to re-grow. Granted, the werewolf losing a tail on reverting to human form might be stricken with hypocalcemia--calcium deficiency--and the risks of arrhythmias, muscle pains, and the like.

However, I can see young werewolves engaging in a crude practice of intentionally cutting off their tails and saving them, having a stack of extra tails. I can also see elders complaining about this practice.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Tovam
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Tovam »

So, fast healing ...

What if they have tatoos?
Won't their increased healing somehow ... erase the tatoo?
And the same with piercings and earrings
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I don't think that tatoos would go away. I dont know much about tatoos so I can't place if they would go or not. I think it may be settled here that tatoos stay. Yet I think you may have a point with earrings, closing up holes in your ear, which is just skin, shouldn't be hard if someone can change into a wolf.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Tovam wrote:So, fast healing ...

What if they have tatoos?
Won't their increased healing somehow ... erase the tatoo?
And the same with piercings and earrings
Tattoos places ink under the skin, thats why even standard healing won't heal a tattoo.

:P
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I'm standing here in pieces...

Post by Vilkacis »

Scott Gardener wrote:...intentionally cutting off their tails and saving them, having a stack of extra tails.
Hahaha! :lol:

Sounds like something I might do, actually. That is, if I knew for sure it would grow back and if I didn't wimp out thinking about the pain of it.

-- Vilkacis
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Owww! I'd be too wimpy to do that for sure. I would end up bleeding to death or something :lol:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

(Vsh!) Ahhh!!!! (hand falls off...)

Post by Scott Gardener »

I would expect tattoos, body piercings, characteristic scars, and the like to disappear. Body piercings could be re-done, of course.

Tattoos could be preserved if shapeshifting involved contractile fiber cells rather than a drastic rearranging of existing body tissues. This is the approach that my werewolves take. But, anything that hurls out rows of fur follicles out of its epidermis and then sucks them back in is probably going to be used to getting rid of foreign "contaminants" such as injectable ink.

If you opt for a magic approach, then anything goes, but one could opt for the "Anne Rice vampire medical insurance"--pre-existing conditions such as a scar on the face stays, but new injuries are covered.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Ochiba
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ochiba »

my opinion on healing - I think werewolves should have abnormal healing qaulities but nothing too drastic. Maybe the effects of neosporin without appling any ;)
Rooster Urlakane
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rooster Urlakane »

I think that werewolves tatoos would appear on the fur for some reason

it's just my idea for wws.
bombs and more,
lets hit the floor.
sleep deprived and betrayed
lets be very...very...afraid.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I think that tattoos would stay. It they shifted to wolf form and was shaved, youd see the tattoo(most likely stretched out and distorted) It would look normal again when back in human form. :D
Peircings would heal up though imo. I had my ears peirced years ago. A couple weeks after I got them, I took them out for a day or so. Tried putting the earings on again, but the holes have healed a good deal. Today, you would never be able to tell they ever had holes in em :D