Where would a Werewolf 'Sanctuary' be located?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Where would a Werewolf 'Sanctuary' be located?

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Here is a curious question i thought of, now if there was a spot in the U.S or World that you had to pick to be a Werewolf Sanctuary, a safe place, a haven for werewolves to just run around and not have to worry about humans, where would it be? or what characteristics does the place have to have to be a proper santuary

:shift: hwlwnk :P

In the story of 30 days of night, a group of Vampires travel to Barrows Alaska because it is above the artic circle and the sun doesn't rise for 30 days.... and the vampires have the locals for a buffet dinner
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

If it were in the U.S. the best location would probably be somewhere in the mountains, especially in the New England area, maybe in the South. It would need to be rural enough that there would be practically nil chance of accidental sightings (in any wild area, the chance would be low anyway, because animals have much better hiding abilities than most people realize). You'd want to do a survey and find an area with particularly low population density, perhaps an isolated valley with a few abandoned farms (wolves do like some open space, not just solid forest). If lots of werewolves were going to this valley all the time for "vacations" there wouldn't be much odd about it, you'd just need a good cover story as to what this "business" was, and why locals or just anyone isn't allowed to rent a cabin. Perhaps it could be vacation land owned by a particular club, and reserved for its members.

If it were in the world as a whole, there would be more choices. You'd still want a sparsely settled area with good in-and-out control. Perhaps an island would be easiest to manage, and one in the temperate belt would be a lot cheaper than buying a tropical island. It could be stocked with just the right kinds of wild game, without any hassles from neighbors or poachers.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

I suppose if a werewolf has enough money he/she could simply buy some hectars of land and only grants access to it for his/her fellow werewolves. They would stay under their own kind and no one would ask what's happening there, cause no other person has access.

The best places for this are rural areas - or areas where people don't ask to many questions about there neighbours. And of course areas with almost no humans around - like the northern parts of Norway. Above Trondheim there aren't this many people around.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I think the wilderness of Canada would be best. :) Forests, open space, animals to hunt, lakes and rivers, not too much people around, ect. Sounds like one of the better places to live :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I vote wildreness of canada too. great sumemrs, great winters, and acres upon acres of untames, beatuiful forest. the only problem is poor soil and a sopmewhat delicate ecology.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Were would you go as a santuary? A church, a closet, or even a car. Why would it be any different from were you would go when your human. Unless you are in a pack. Then you would go somewhere like Alberta or an island of the coast of Maine, there are some beautiful ones there.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

East Texas would be a pretty good hiding place. It's rural, but it has access to culture if you're willing to travel for hours and hours.

I was just thinking how Nacogdoches might be a good candidate location to plug to the Brownriggs--like we haven't already done that enough. It made a good setting to picture my novel.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Shadowblaze wrote:I vote wildreness of canada too. great sumemrs, great winters, and acres upon acres of untames, beatuiful forest. the only problem is poor soil and a sopmewhat delicate ecology.

Well, it isn't like they couldn't drive into town and go to the grocery store.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alteron »

Well, there could be several types of 'shelters'.
I think you'd likely see a large amount of the 'wilderness' types out in the rockies. Dense woods, 'hidden' valleys, caves that can be quite extensive, open areas and the like.
But that sort of shelter strikes me as a place for WWs to go and relax... It's also where you might see WWs who make up the entire town's population, or WWs renting out cottages/hotels. And you wouldn't be able to refuse normal humans from staying (it would generate suspicion and humans are NOTHING if not curious)... just make sure that he only open rooms/cottages are the ones where these normal people won't be able to see anything... a convient ridge of stone that blocks the view of the valley, the room faces in the wrong direction, etc.

But what makes me wonder is what would these shelters be like in areas where ther are more humans then WWs? I mean, lets say that there's two packs per county (I'm from florida so let's say broward county and Dade county, each one has two largish packs (12 members?) and there are a handful of lone wolves about. Well, there must be shelters for these wolves to hide at in case of emergancies or the like. Sort of like bomb shelters or the like.
Maybe it's a bar or a resturant... some place that these various WWs could easily come up with an excuse for going to quite often (maybe a gym?) and staying at over night. There's the facade of 'normal' that keeps people (even hunters) from finding it, but in the back rooms, or underground or upstairs, etc... it's a place to be yourself;)
And of course, there's a little duckie somewhere to be seen to ID it as a 'safe spot' hwlwnk

Now another type of shelter could be a 'family firends' house, one with a room that the WWs could easily get into without getting spotted, change safely, and get out to the normal house without anyone wondering where they came from. If I was a WW, I'd want a room that I could always sneak into and out of both from the rest of the house and outside...
But that's just me;)

-Alteron
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

There's a thousand acre camp about ten miles from my house. My family and I own a share of it (No, we don't own a section of the land. There's about four families that own it, and we all own it equally. It's weird. For about three weeks out of the month, we don't own the camp at all. But for one week, it's totally ours. Weird.)

If I were a werewolf, I would grow up, make a lot of money, and buy the other families (and my own) out, and it could all be mine. Then, I could invite some fellow werewolves to come and live with me there, and we could build a massive fence around it. There's a huge lake/river in the middle, and plenty of woods.

Civilization wouldn't be far away. There's a decent-sized town about an hour away, and New Orleans (ok so it's not that great right now....) is about two hours away.

The climate (South Louisiana) might be a little too warm, but I'm sure we could get used to it.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

There's a lot of land out there. For instance, here in Oregon, in the eastern part of the state near the high desert, you could drive for a couple hours without seeing a building. There's wildernesses in every state where motorized vehicles cannot go, it's paddle boat, mountain bike, foot or horseback.

I probably wouldn't locate a werewolf sanctuary in Canada. It's legal to hunt wolves there, whereas you can't in the States (theoretically, anyway).

Another possibility, if we're going international, the most likely candidate IMO is Mongolia. A little larger than Alaska, and only 2.2 million people, 98% of whom are nomadic. Sure, wolf-hunting is legal there, but the chances of running into someone by pure chance are pretty slim.
ImageImageImageImage
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

I think the wilderness of Canada would be best. Smile Forests, open space, animals to hunt, lakes and rivers, not too much people around, ect. Sounds like one of the better places to live
this has my vote.

but i feel that a sanctuary should not only be a place away from people, but a place we can go if we need help.... duh 'sanctuary'. i'm a smart one. :lol:

but what if the sanctuary was not out there some where but with each of us. i know my doors are open to anyone that needs a place to hide, get away or crash. all the same.
although a place in Canada would be cool. but a place at home is nice as well. just being in the company of other like us is what it is all about.
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

There's no place like home.

Your home is your castle.

That's where I would go... To the home of my childhood, where all the memories are painted with gold.

That is, if I would be solo.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Excelsia wrote:(No, we don't own a section of the land. There's about four families that own it, and we all own it equally. It's weird. For about three weeks out of the month, we don't own the camp at all. But for one week, it's totally ours. Weird.)
I think the word for that is "timeshare".
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, I may be biased here since I was born in the area, but, Alaska, specifically the area near Fairbanks, would probably be the best place. Due to the following reasons.

A: Plenty of wildlife, should werewolves have an increased metabolism and need extra food to sustain themselves it's less likely that the dissappearence of a few dozen Caribou would be noticed.

B: Isolated, there's portions of Alaska that are hardely ever visited, even a mere 50 miles from a significant town like Fairbanks.

C: Long nights, if a werewolf enjoys spending long periods of time in his or her transformed state, the long winter nights would be very convenient. Even if somebody were to happen along, in such darkness it's unlikely that they'd ever get such a good look at you. For the record, in January there's only a few hours of sunlight every day.

D: Not TOO far located from civilization. Should anybody in such a colony become injured, there are Hospitals and clinics in the area, should they really be needed.

E: The locals leave you alone. Alaska is in many ways a borderline libertarian state. Both the people and the government there are often simply prone to leaving you be to do your own thing. On a related note, Alaska's one of the few places I know of where you can easily escape from society. My father personally knew a crazy old man that lived deep within the woods that sometimes went 8 years without seeing another human being.

Canada may have a similer wildnerness, but from what I've heard from friends living up there, niether the Government or the people are as likely to just let you be as the Alaskans are.

Well, that's about all the reasons I can think of. Like I said though, I may be biased since I was born there.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

werewolf sactuary huh?
well, i'd think that the first requirements should be as follows:
easy to get to
hard to find if one doesn't know where it is already
easily protectable
inconspicuous to humans
uninteresting/unappealing to humans

so, what sort of places would fit these requisites? maybe a small over-store apartment where the store is delapidated and unused. or perhapse and old 'haunted' house (though this would be interesting, the application of fear to the equasion would keep most people away).

any other prerequisites or ideas for places that fit the requisites?
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

for my story, i guessed that western canada would have some areas isolated enough for a pack of werewolves to hide out. (As well as several aircraft, equipment, and hundreds of support personell...). For a base, in tthe mountains, like the base from Stargate. (though no roads leading to it, not a base you want hidden.) Though, for just a regualr pack, i'd think that to be too isolated. I'd imagine that any old rural area (Amelia County in VA, for example) would be plenty good enough for and average size pack to camp out for a while.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I'd imagine that there'd be at least a few packs that'd want to go completely 'feral,' and live independent of human society. For that sort of thing, as suggested by others, I'd imagine Canada, Alaska, and any similar areas Europe has (Russia? I'm terribly unknowledgable about European geography and population patterns...).
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reilune wrote:
Excelsia wrote:(No, we don't own a section of the land. There's about four families that own it, and we all own it equally. It's weird. For about three weeks out of the month, we don't own the camp at all. But for one week, it's totally ours. Weird.)
I think the word for that is "timeshare".

That sounds about right.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Lupin wrote:
Shadowblaze wrote:I vote wildreness of canada too. great sumemrs, great winters, and acres upon acres of untames, beatuiful forest. the only problem is poor soil and a sopmewhat delicate ecology.

Well, it isn't like they couldn't drive into town and go to the grocery store.
where we go in canada, it's all wilderness, but there's a town 20 minutes away, and they do get visitors. any werewolves wanna be my guest?
THE ONE AND ONLY
Legendary
Legendary

Post by THE ONE AND ONLY »

San Francisco, California-anything goes there.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Good to have someone knowledgeable of old world geography. I wonder how accepting places like that would react if werewolves started showing up spontaneously. Nudity is one thing; mythical monsters of mayhem are another.
Sanity is relative.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Keep in mind that most of Scandanavia have a comparatively liberal and open mindset. I attribute this to their being an older and more mature culture than we have here in the States and also being a confederacy of well-established monarchies.

In the States, the werewolves would be viewed as unholy monsters of mayhem. In Scandanavia, they'd be living cultural heritage, and Subjects to the Crown. Unless they tried to rise up in revolt and overthrow the monarchy, there'd be no compelling reason to destroy them out of hand. More likely they'd try to integrate them, though I doubt they'd pay the crowned heads of Europe much fealty. Goes against the "neither collar nor crown" axiom...still, it'd be kind of cool to see the King of Norge and/or Danmark with an honour guard of werewolves :)
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Yes, it would be cool, but I doubt any'd take such a job.

Anyway, eventually such a stance might be taken, but there's the shock value of realizing the existance of werewolves to account for.
Sanity is relative.