How Acrobatic Is A Werewolf?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How Agile Are Werewolves?

Slow and cumbersome
No votes
Fast and acrobatic like cats
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
74%

Total votes: 87

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Being able to climb walls as a werewolf, to me, is an added bonus, and could be an invaluable asset, should i be trying to imitate a Parkour-style getaway from a bunch of stick-toting extremists.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

probably somewhat inbetween..depending on the body structure of the werewolf.... :D
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

kitetsu wrote:Being able to climb walls as a werewolf, to me, is an added bonus, and could be an invaluable asset, should i be trying to imitate a Parkour-style getaway from a bunch of stick-toting extremists.
To pull a Parkour-style getaway, you'd just need to be really good at jumping and really acrobatic, no wall-climbing needed. :wink:

While an assest, well, so is like, being able to shoot lasers from your eyes. Doesn't mean a werewolf should have it. :D
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: How Acrobatic Is A Werewolf?

Post by Volkodlak »

how acrobatic lets look at things that matter:

1.)body type: is it like body builder(van helsing) or is more lean (underworld, dog soldiers,...) leaner will be weaker strenght wise, but faster, more agile and it can be more acrobatic, but bodybuilder type will be other way around.

2.)mindset: you can get body capable of being acrobatic more than humans, but it would not help you if you do not get your mind into using your new acrobatic capability.

so in my opinion werewolf can be more acrobatic than human, but needs too practice and get his mind into it.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Sure why not, I'll weigh in with a little of my werewolf philosophy.

I'd vote for somewhere in the middle. My reasoning being that a werewolf is the meeting together of two quite different body types. The human, while in the general case has adapted to extended periods of starvation, acquiring slower metabolisms and heavier, more restful state when healthy, they still have roots in muscular strength and mass.

Wolves adapted into lighter body types afforded by streamlined digitigrade quadrupedal locomotion, with its inherent power/strength advantages balanced for endurance predation pursuits. Neither of these independently lend themselves to the lighting sprints and pounces the feline kind enjoy, but the human tendency toward feline like muscle mass, combined with the running optimized quadruped lupine frame, that might marry together to give feline like speed and power, but the felines are just a performance balancing act all their own, geared toward pure speed and power, not much can compete with that like for like.

In summation, the werewolf form, in my opinion, would in most forms, particularly quad capable form (either able to switch between quad and biped, or pure quadruped), possess very much feline like predatory tactics, utilizing strength and speed, the wolf's bite and the human's limb dexterity adding feline like limb dexterity greater than that of a wolf, but not enough to put it into the feline category. So closer to feline than slow and cumbersome.

In the end I could make a case for anything, but that's my take on it.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Keep in mind also that if your preferred concept of werewolf has multiple forms (human, wolf, Gestaldt, or others) then you have the advantage of being able to shift forms to match the natural talents of the form to the task at hand. For instance (to use the Werewolf; the Apocalypse convention) a werewolf could start to chase down prey in wolf-form, for the speed and endurance inherent in canine physiology. As he draws close to his prey, he could shift to a bigger dire-wolf form for added mass in tackling it and greater size and strength in his jaws for grabbing it. He could then shift to a Gestaldt-form to essentially wrestle it to the ground and deliver the coup-de-grace using his greater strength (breaking its neck, or dislocating a leg to disable it, etc.).
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Keep in mind also that if your preferred concept of werewolf has multiple forms (human, wolf, Gestaldt, or others) then you have the advantage of being able to shift forms to match the natural talents of the form to the task at hand. For instance (to use the Werewolf; the Apocalypse convention) a werewolf could start to chase down prey in wolf-form, for the speed and endurance inherent in canine physiology. As he draws close to his prey, he could shift to a bigger dire-wolf form for added mass in tackling it and greater size and strength in his jaws for grabbing it. He could then shift to a Gestaldt-form to essentially wrestle it to the ground and deliver the coup-de-grace using his greater strength (breaking its neck, or dislocating a leg to disable it, etc.).
uniform i belive that shifting during the persuit is not an option WW would not be able too run and shift, but he would fall and lose his prey.
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Chris »

I'd agree with that. Being able to shift forms at will doesn't necessarily mean the shift is fast, fluid, or painless, or that it won't leave the werewolf winded. They could lose significant ground on their prey just from the shift, and may need some time afterward to regain their full strength. Personally, I tend to avoid werewolf concepts that have at-will transformations that don't have an impact on the person; it feels too much like a superhero/villain power at that point.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

ok we should get back on topic witch is how acrobatic is werewolf and chris i agree with you
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

How acrobatic in which form? Compared to what?

Me, personally; I'd say that a werewolf should be a good bit more agile than a normal human while he's in human form. A wolf form should likewise be a bit more agile than a normal wolf. In a hybrid form (like Gestaldt / Crinos) I still think that he should be more agile than a human (it's just a thematic thing for me, rather than a physiological justification), but a normal wolf should be able to dodge him just fine -- four-legged form and all.
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

I think this would depend on the individual werewolf quite a bit but also that the form of the werewolf would also be a big factor. Just as some humans are more athletic than others, I would imagine that some werewolves would be more athletic than other werewolves. Also, I think that the werewolves abilities in climbing and jumping and such depend a lot of whether we are talking about anthro type werewolves like in Van Helsing, regular wolf type werewolves, or something in between. I do think that a werewolf would be much stronger and more agile than both regular wolves and humans though, regardless or what their wolf form is like. I think they would have greater muscle strength than a human and that combined with a more human intelligence would find innovative ways to use this in wolf form. In human form I would imagine they would have strength abilities more like athletic humans, assuming they are in good shape and with wolf form or a half and half form this would increase quite a bit. While I don't think that a werewolf would have the same agility that a cat would I think we would be surprised at what they could accomplish. I have seen dogs climb trees and fences just by getting up enough speed, so while I don't expect a werewolf to be flying up walls like a Spider Man tiger hybrid I think they would be pretty jumpy.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

One other thing I guess could work is regeneration. With regeneration, the werewolf wouldn't need to worry so much about injury if something he tries involving agility doesn't work (like say, jumping from rooftop to rooftop across an alleyway). He can throw himself (literally) into whatever he's attempting with 100% effort, without fear of getting maimed in the process. A human, on the other hand would tend to self-restrict their efforts in some cases out of fear of injury. Not exactly the same as greater ability or talent, but I think it would contribute to werewolves being generally better at physical stuff.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

uniform regeneration or not injury is still an injury it hurts even if your wounds heal in 1min and i think faster the healing gives more chances body heals in the wrong way plus with very fast healing people will be very suspicius of you becouse you healed your broken leg way too fast.
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

Hmmmm... I think that a werewolf would be more confident in his acrobatic skills regardless of whether he was able to heal super quickly or not, simply because I think animals tend to have a much better instinctual grasp on what their bodies are capable of. If werewolves can heal super quickly though it might encourage them to take more risks and learn their limits faster than people could though, so I can see your point.