How Acrobatic Is A Werewolf?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How Agile Are Werewolves?

Slow and cumbersome
No votes
Fast and acrobatic like cats
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
74%

Total votes: 87

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: How Acrobatic Is A Werewolf?

Post by Terastas »

Suho Wolf wrote:I think it is precisely the fact that he is not thinking like a human that his abilities are enhanced. We know that the human body is capable of much greater feats than most of us are able to do in our everyday lives. But why can a five year old lift a car off his father to save him? Divine intervention? Possibly, but more likely it is because he doesn't stop to think about it. By disengaging that part of their brains, were wolves can achieve the true physical potential of their human bodies.
You could probably attribute that to the same thing that allows werewolves to shapeshift -- everyone can do it, but some people can naturally while others can only accomplish such in a state of emergency where the body's physical tensions can be ignored.

A werewolf might be able to accomplish everything he was capable of in human form to the point of having Bruce Lee agility, but he would still need plenty of time to adjust to his new body -- even standing up would be difficult on day #1. A werewolf could do some pretty remarkable things (not to the Van Helsing level, but still more than is usually credited to them), but to do so, they would need to practice just as much as Jackie Chan and all of our other modern-day stuntmen do (hence the scenario I gave earlier).
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I agree wholeheartedly, a lot practice would be required to do any of the sort of things seen in the movies.... except wall-walking that is completely impractical.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote: You could probably attribute that to the same thing that allows werewolves to shapeshift -- everyone can do it, but some people can naturally while others can only accomplish such in a state of emergency where the body's physical tensions can be ignored.

A werewolf might be able to accomplish everything he was capable of in human form to the point of having Bruce Lee agility, but he would still need plenty of time to adjust to his new body -- even standing up would be difficult on day #1. A werewolf could do some pretty remarkable things (not to the Van Helsing level, but still more than is usually credited to them), but to do so, they would need to practice just as much as Jackie Chan and all of our other modern-day stuntmen do (hence the scenario I gave earlier).

Shifting for the 1st time can be hard on the body. But some type of instinct could come into play after the very 1st shift. I mentioned something here.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =3143#3143
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Figarou wrote:
Terastas wrote: You could probably attribute that to the same thing that allows werewolves to shapeshift -- everyone can do it, but some people can naturally while others can only accomplish such in a state of emergency where the body's physical tensions can be ignored.

Shifting for the 1st time can be hard on the body. But some type of instinct could come into play after the very 1st shift. I mentioned something here.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =3143#3143
I would agree that shifting would gradualy become easier after the first time, eventually there would be no pain at all.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I would agree that shifting would gradualy become easier after the first time, eventually there would be no pain at all.
I don't know about NO pain, but in time, a person could get used to the discomfort of the transformation so that it still hurts, but it no longer bothers them because it is so familiar. It's like when you let a chiropractor "crack" your back, (or whatever is stiff). It hurts for a second, but you don't fear it or scream because you know you will feel much better when it is over.
Lurch
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Lurch »

Somewhere in between, yet learning. A new were would not be accustomed to the new form, and thus would be a bit clutzy.
"If you love someone, set them free" - Gordon Sumner
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yeah. They'd need to take time but could eventually get really good.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Ok, I think this subject can be subjective. In my mind, I picture werewolves moving with the sam agility as a normal wolf. Watching my two big dogs playfight, it can be pretty agile. The are capable of some super-HUMAN feets. They can move faster than the eye can see. It was not as fast as I've seen cats play, however. When they mess up, however, it's pretty large falls and clumsy knocks. Cats can be clumsy too, but they are not as clumsy as dogs.

So I would say definitely as agile as a wolf, but nothing like a cheetah or jaguar. That's my vote.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:Ok, I think this subject can be subjective. In my mind, I picture werewolves moving with the sam agility as a normal wolf. Watching my two big dogs playfight, it can be pretty agile. The are capable of some super-HUMAN feets. They can move faster than the eye can see. It was not as fast as I've seen cats play, however. When they mess up, however, it's pretty large falls and clumsy knocks. Cats can be clumsy too, but they are not as clumsy as dogs.

So I would say definitely as agile as a wolf, but nothing like a cheetah or jaguar. That's my vote.

Some things can be accomplished better on all fours compared to 2 legs.

They can jump a little bit higher when they spring off the front and then the hind legs. Running on all fours can be faster compared to running on two legs. Quick turns while running can also be achieved better on all fours. Thats the advantage of four legs. Place an animal thats used to 4 four legs onto 2 and it will lose that agility.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

really the most agile werewolf ive seen is the ones from the movie underworld, but then theres the van hellsing one... that one was big and bulky yet was pretty fast and could climb quite well, out of those two is kinda what im looking for
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Searif Bogard wrote:really the most agile werewolf ive seen is the ones from the movie underworld, but then theres the van hellsing one... that one was big and bulky yet was pretty fast and could climb quite well, out of those two is kinda what im looking for
Actually, we're trying to avoid the wall-climbing werewolves.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Searif Bogard wrote:really the most agile werewolf ive seen is the ones from the movie underworld, but then theres the van hellsing one... that one was big and bulky yet was pretty fast and could climb quite well, out of those two is kinda what im looking for
Actually, we're trying to avoid the wall-climbing werewolves.
i see.... well whats the fun then :evil: anyways... will they still be able to run hella fast
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

O.O

Hey, wait!

I climb the walls sometimes!

Hmmmmm...no, that wouldn't work. I fall off pretty quickly.

But I climb trees really well. Maybe they can climb trees! And cliffs! I climb cliffs really well too and I don't fall off cliffs.......well there was that one time, but I don't want to talk about that.......
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I don't climb walls. I drive myself up it!!

Vroom! Vroom!! :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Climbing trees is more fun than walls...
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Aye, I fall off walls.....

:P

But our church is made of sculpted stone and I do catch myself, sometimes, looking at those particular walls wth longing. That would be a fun climb.

Eh. I'm too outa shape, anyway.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Ewwwwww, catlike???? I refuse the notion of a cat moving better then me.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:oops: The egyptians made them into gods for a reason, bub.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadowblaze wrote::oops: The egyptians made them into gods for a reason, bub.
They were easier to mummify and sell to the faithful than wolves?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Plus they didn't take much mantenaice. Cats tend to do their own thing most of the time.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Aki wrote:Plus they didn't take much mantenaice. Cats tend to do their own thing most of the time.
Of course, that's a problem if they do their own thing on the upholstry, or worse yet, on the bed pillows.
-Calculon
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:| They ere godified due to their grace, speed, and hunting skills... and egyptians didnt see wolves.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Why are you all talking about Egyptians and cats? Get back on topic dangit.

On a side note, there are two species of wolves that I know of which live in Africa. The Ethiopian wolf, now critically endangered, and the "painted wolf" or African wild dog.

And according to one of my books the god Wepwawet (I think that's the one) has the head of an Ethiopian wolf. A banner with his image was carried before the Pharoah in victory processions.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Well I do think it would depend on the werewolf. Some may be bulkeir and muscular, and some seem to be light and skinneir much like a wolf. I wouldn't say they have cat like reflexes and can climb. Maybe posibly jump into a tree for they will have apposible thumbs (right?). Yet I'm not into seeing any climb.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

yeah, but the kz'eerkt(monkey) influence would be there, right?