Can a werewolf be cured?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

Hmm. I've usually heard it likened to shamanic trances, which is why I mentioned autohypnosis. The idea being that it's your spirit inhabiting a physical wolf somewhere other than your body.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ok, I see where you are coming at. I can tell you I'm not a Therian and I never role played in my life. I like wolves as they are. Natural and in thier own habitat. It gives me a warm feeling when I see that.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

LOL. Fact is, I'm not that much of a wolf enthusiast. I like wolves but I've never had the urge to take a trip just to see one.

And many of use are prone to shamanistic experiences. I'm one and I can tell you that it's not something I ever decided to do and it's nothing I ever actively instigate. I've certainly never trained for such a thing.

I'm a very professional and respected vocational evaluator and community activist. Things like that can actually get in the way.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:LOL. Fact is, I'm not that much of a wolf enthusiast. I like wolves but I've never had the urge to take a trip just to see one.
I was able to touch one. A female brown wolf. She really enjoyed it when I gave her a massage type petting. You can tell when they stick the tounge out just a tiny bit. When I stopped, she placed her head under my hand for some more. Man, I felt great that day.

:D
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

I bet that was great.
I have a Native American friend who raised timber wolves here in Alabama. They had to move into town and now only have a couple of wolf dogs that were raised by wolves (not much difference). If I don't go out and see the alpha when I visit, he'll use his aluminum food dish as a frisbee and bounce it off the outside of the house until I go out and talk to him.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Terastas, that might workfor the movie but realistically vaccine don't cure viral illnesses; they prevent them. There are very few viruses that can actually be killed in the body because they're made of DNA. If you kill them, you also kill off the body's DNA.
*nods* "Vaccine" really wasn't the proper term for that description. "Antidote" or "Remedy" might have been more appropriate.

Though that is essentially what I was trying to get at; the idea that killing the virus could also damage the body. What I was thinking is that lycanthropy's greatest pro is the enhanced regeneration, which could be (bear with me on this) the result of a simbiant between the lycanthropic bactirium and the immune system. If treated immediately, lycanthropy could be curable, but if the body adapts to lycathropy in the way I'd just described, attempting to cure the person's lycanthropy would have undesirable consequences to say the least.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Of course, you could do something complicated like have a virus that can't remain active for any significant period of time in the blod stream but it stays active by living in a prasitic host - something like a malaria bug - and is released when the trigger (adrenaline) hits the parasite. Then, if you kill the parasite, you get rid of the virus and cure the disease.

There are antiviral agents. For instance, there is a prescription drug you can take to help you get over the flu faster. They aren't terribly effective though and ahve only beem developed for a few viruses.

By the way, I was working on ideas for a Werewolf comic as one in several titles that never took off and one concept that I was planning to use was a Lycanthropic Flu. Although my Werewolves are immune to just about every disease known to man, they had a few of their own. This one triggered a shift everytime the infected Werewolf sneezed.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote: This one triggered a shift everytime the infected Werewolf sneezed.
ha ha ha!! :lol:

look at this!!!

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =2538#2538

posted this a while back.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

O.o

Woof!

Now I feel like I'm coming down with something......

^-~,
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

I would have to say that if a werewolf was created by being bitten then there would probably be a cure perhaps similar to the aids virus ( but that would make an astonishing number of werewolves ), but if someone is born a werewolf I don't see a cure being possible unless it's through some form of genetic manipulation which is oddly how in one story I read someone became a werewolf.

Have any of you heard the theory about how different humans evolved from different animals ? It may not be fact but it's still interesting, if only I could remember what site that was...
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

I've heard that but I don't know if there's any historcal basis in folklore or religion or such.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

That's the spirit!

Post by Scott Gardener »

The therian sub-thread brought up another interesting point, hinted at in the Jack Nicholson movie Wolf. Suppose it's only therians who can become literal shapeshifting werewolves (therians use the phrase "p-shifters") with the infectious bite? That's another ramification--only those who already have it in them get awakened with the infectious bite. (The Jack Nicholson movie went a step further, to imply that one who really has a lot of the spirit in him or her could manifest physical shifting ability without getting bitten.)

This, of course, potentially could move the causative agent away from the virus concept towards a more metaphysical concept. It certainly wouldn't fit with my own primary world-setting, with the genetic engineering aliens bit.

But, I'm surprised it's not used more, since it's an appealing one. Granted, it nearly eliminates the ever popular reluctant werewolf, since therians generally would sell their parents into slavery for the thing. I suppose there's the latent therian who has urges and a desire for certain things but hasn't yet put one's paw on it...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

LOL

Some Therians would sell their parents into slavery for it.

I'm not that motivated to get shot at, give up driving, and divorce myself from toilet tissue, thankewverymuch.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I would have to say that if a werewolf was created by being bitten then there would probably be a cure perhaps similar to the aids virus ( but that would make an astonishing number of werewolves ), but if someone is born a werewolf I don't see a cure being possible unless it's through some form of genetic manipulation which is oddly how in one story I read someone became a werewolf.

Have any of you heard the theory about how different humans evolved from different animals ? It may not be fact but it's still interesting, if only I could remember what site that was...
There is no cure for the HIVirus, given as how its constant mutation pretty much thwarts efforts for a vaccine.
There is no theory that different races of people evolved from different animals, aside from some rantings of some of the Social Darwinists of the 19th century. Perhaps you're thinking of some legends of how some people claimed particular animals as ancestors?
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Apokryltaros wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I would have to say that if a werewolf was created by being bitten then there would probably be a cure perhaps similar to the aids virus ( but that would make an astonishing number of werewolves ), but if someone is born a werewolf I don't see a cure being possible unless it's through some form of genetic manipulation which is oddly how in one story I read someone became a werewolf.

There is no cure for the HIVirus, given as how its constant mutation pretty much thwarts efforts for a vaccine.
There is no theory that different races of people evolved from different animals, aside from some rantings of some of the Social Darwinists of the 19th century. Perhaps you're thinking of some legends of how some people claimed particular animals as ancestors?
By a similarity I meant that we don't know of a cure yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I think the page I saw was using those legends as some evidence of how the different types of humans evolved from certain animals.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: By a similarity I meant that we don't know of a cure yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I think the page I saw was using those legends as some evidence of how the different types of humans evolved from certain animals.
Question is, will there be a cure? We can't even eliminate the common cold.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

I really think there is a cure for the common cold, but think how much money would be lost if it was cured....
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I really think there is a cure for the common cold, but think how much money would be lost if it was cured....

This sort of stuff scares me. People banking on other people because of some stupid belief. "There is no cure for the common cold."

Ah!! but there is a cure!! Oh wait..if everyone is cured, then I won't make money from cold medications. There is no cure.

Phooey!! :x
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

I don't think there's a cure for the cold simply because the cold virus is so mutable that it's hard to get a grip on the sucker to kill it, BUT.......

I do know a man that worked for the Polio Foundation and he swears that they held up the Salk Vaccine as long as they could (Russia was using it long before we were) because they knew that as soon as the Salk vaccine was available, they'd be out of their jobs.

But is that any more horiific than the Syphalis studies or the studies with radioisotopes or studies of the effects of LSD on soldiers or telling people near nuclear test zones that fallout was safe or having soldiers almost at ground zero to determine the effects of a nuclear blast or touching off an atomic bomb when it wasn't known whether it would burn the earth to a cinder or not or ignoring warnings in a missle silo in the midwest until the thing blew up (and thank goodness the warhead didn't go off) etc., etc.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:I don't think there's a cure for the cold simply because the cold virus is so mutable that it's hard to get a grip on the sucker to kill it, BUT.......

I do know a man that worked for the Polio Foundation and he swears that they held up the Salk Vaccine as long as they could (Russia was using it long before we were) because they knew that as soon as the Salk vaccine was available, they'd be out of their jobs.

But is that any more horiific than the Syphalis studies or the studies with radioisotopes or studies of the effects of LSD on soldiers or telling people near nuclear test zones that fallout was safe or having soldiers almost at ground zero to determine the effects of a nuclear blast or touching off an atomic bomb when it wasn't known whether it would burn the earth to a cinder or not or ignoring warnings in a missle silo in the midwest until the thing blew up (and thank goodness the warhead didn't go off) etc., etc.

Typing on computer keyboards can lead to loss of limbs. :shock:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Figarou wrote:
WolfVanZandt wrote:I don't think there's a cure for the cold simply because the cold virus is so mutable that it's hard to get a grip on the sucker to kill it, BUT.......

Typing on computer keyboards can lead to loss of limbs. :shock:
....and muscle atrophy among other things..... :wink:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

The common cold is not caused by one, mutable virus, but by the 200 various species of rhinovirus. Then there's the fact that the common cold is often confused with influenza, and that there are a dozen or more varieties of influenzavirus, too.
Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I really think there is a cure for the common cold, but think how much money would be lost if it was cured....

This sort of stuff scares me. People banking on other people because of some stupid belief. "There is no cure for the common cold."

Ah!! but there is a cure!! Oh wait..if everyone is cured, then I won't make money from cold medications. There is no cure.

There is indeed no cure for the common cold because of the fact that the 200 + species of rhinovirus which cause the cold would require separate vaccines, even though they all cause the same symptoms.
And who in their right minds in this board would want to get 200 + shots in the arm to guard against the cold?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
The common cold is not caused by one, mutable virus, but by the 200 various species of rhinovirus. Then there's the fact that the common cold is often confused with influenza, and that there are a dozen or more varieties of influenzavirus, too.
Figarou wrote:

There is indeed no cure for the common cold because of the fact that the 200 + species of rhinovirus which cause the cold would require separate vaccines, even though they all cause the same symptoms.
And who in their right minds in this board would want to get 200 + shots in the arm to guard against the cold?
Of course. There is no cure. I was making an example if there was a cure that they won't release it.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Hey, and don't forget those retroviruses that get called "a cold" (I hate those things).
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

i figure you couldn't be cured; if it's a virus you would need as specificaly engineered biotoxin to seek it out and kill it. Then again, what does the virus do?