Your ideal werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Your ideal werewolf

Post by Set »

I'm wondering as to whether or not everyone's ideal is the same as what I think it is. This topic is to satisfy my curiosity more than anything.

What's your ideal werewolf? Describe it to me in detail and specify whether you think it'd do best as a realistic, fantasy, or science fiction creature. Put in things about looks, pack structure, strength, fur color, whatever. Add as much or as little to your post as you want. I want to know about your werewolves, without any debates over what's logical or piddly little things like realism.

In other words just tell me what you like. Plain and simple.

Edit: Eh...maybe I should've looked through the topics first. But we do have alot of new members, so I'm not sure what to do with this post now.
Last edited by Set on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... php?t=1467

[Edit: Wow ... this thread is old enough that my link is out-dated. I wonder if I will even be able to find what I was linking to before. I don't remember what I said.]

[Edit 2: Cool, I found it. I just slapped the topic number onto the end of the current URL, and it brought me to the right place. Here is the updated link:

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... 073#p45073

I would like to note that my opinions on what I think a Werewolf IS and what I prefer it to be have changed in many ways since way back in 2005.

... I should really update with my more recent ideas.]
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Oh wait...I remember that topic! I'd thought someone had deleted it. ??
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ok, this is my post from that other thread, but with some changes.

Genre

My werewolves are probably somewhere between realism and fantasy

Signs of Lycanthropy in Human Form

None whatsoever, except looking healthier and having more energy. They will not be hairy, and they will not under any circumstances have unibrows. Frankly, I don't see why that would be logical, especially considering the fact that all of the rest of the wolf or gestalt form's fur goes away, so why would eyebrow hair stay? Also, I'm opposed to it because of aesthetics.

However, one sign which might be appropriate would be to have the human form have slightly larger canines. But this is the only one suggested thus far that I like.

Mass Gain from shifting

There should most definitely be a mass gain, when shifting to gestalt form. I haven't figured out exactly how much...but I'm definitely not a fan of the 'conservation of mass' thing.

Height

I think that, on average, a werewolf's height should increase by 1-3 feet when shifting to gestalt. I haven't figured out exactly how much I want the height to increase, but I know that I want it to be at least a foot, and I also know that (IMO) 3 feet would be too much. Thus, this is my preferred range. For a movie, I would like consistency. If one werewolf's height increases by 1.5 feet, they should all increase by roughly 1.5 feet.

Muscles

There muscles would enlarge and become more defined. As a result, an average human would look quite buff when in gestalt form. A human who was already buff would look...well...really really buff. Etc.

Head

Wolfish. I want the head to definitely suggest wolfishness, but I don't want to see werewolves that have heads that are identical to wolves. That would look silly. Basically, I want an extremely fierce, stylized version of a wolf's head. What I want in a werewolf head can be compared to Sidor's Dyre, Goldie's Kierrn, or Van Helsing.

Fur

The fur color of a werewolf will be determined by the human form's hair color. This will be the 'base' color. In most werewolves, there would be other colors mixed in, but some werewolves might be one solid color.

Hair Retention

Hair from the human form would be retained in the gestalt form. The only area in which this would be visible, however, would be on the head, since werewolf fur would cover up the rest of it. I like the idea of human characters with long hair ending up with manes in the gestalt form. I think that would be really cool looking, and I would want one if I became a werewolf.

Level of Fur Coverage

No skin. I want to see them completely covered in fur. I've seen plenty werewolf movies in which skin was used in the gestalt form, and it never works. To me, they all look ugly. I want a completely furry (though not shaggy) werewolf.

Claws

Claws would be large. Not ridiculously large, but still large. They would also be very sharp, even though most canine claws aren't. The reason would be because each time they become gestalt, the claws have to regrow. So, basically, it's a new set of claws each time. The claws haven't had time to wear down yet, if they recently TFed. Therefore, the claws would be brand new and thus sharp. (Kinda like a puppy's claws. If you've ever been clawed by a puppy, you'll know they're sharp.) Also, they should be much tougher than a wolf's claws.

Sounds

They can make all wolf sounds, and can make some rudimentary human sounds. Personally, I think they should still be able to talk in gestalt, even though it would be difficult. I also think they should have a whole new set of sounds that comes only from the strange blending of wolf and human. I think werewolves (in gestalt) should have a distinct sound that is neither human or wolf, but an eerie blend of both. It could be used as a dramatic tool in a movie, kinda like the weird throaty sound was used in The Grudge.

Breasts

Small, non-bouncy, not distracting at all, covered in fur. Barely enough of a swelling to hint at their femaleness.

Male/Female differences

Males would obviously be stronger than females, however I don't think females should look weak by any means. As I put it in another thread, I don't think anyone should ever be able to look at a male and female gestalt standing together and say "Oh wow, he could so easily beat her up." Females should look strong, fierce, and powerful, but in a feminine way. Also, if males are going to be stronger, I'd like it if females had some sort of bonus, to make male and female fights more fair. Perhaps they could be faster or more agile.

Speed and Strength

I'd say that an average werewolf would be about as fast as an olympic runner and as strong as one of the strong-man guys. I don't give a damn if that's illogical or not.

Silver and the Moon

No. Not at all. The only exception I would make would be that perhaps werewolves are more jittery or excited around the moon, but it certainly can't force them to transform.

Children

I think the 'can't TF until puberty' argument is crap. Kid werewolves can shift too.

The Wolf Form

Frankly the wolf form doesn't interest me at all. I think gestalt is much cooler. Nonetheless, I would say that the wolf form would be larger, faster, and stronger than an average wolf, but not ridiculously so. A studier of wolves would look at them and go, "WOW! That is a huge wolf!" not "Oh my, there's no way that is a wolf. It's too big". So in other words, not so big as to be unbelievable.

Gestalt Vs. Human Battle

Honestly, I don't think a human would stand much chance. I'm not going to say that a human couldn't possibly win, but their chances are laughable. Only a fool with a deathwish would challenge a werewolf to a battle (even if he was a very powerful and talented human fighter). I think that an odd stroke of luck would be a far more likely culprit to human victory than the ability of said human, but nonetheless I will not deny the ridiculously unlikely possibility. Let me state however, that I don't really want to see a werewolf and human fighting in a movie. To me, that'd be like pitting a really weak foe against a strong one, and thus, boring and unfair. If the werewolf won, I would say, "No surprise", but if the human won, I would criticize the movie for being ridiculous. I'd rather see werewolf vs. werewolf battles, since that is fair, and thus, interesting.

Illness, Injury, Age affecting Shifting

The only thing that I think could ever stop you from shifting permanently would be death, or becoming braindead, or being in a coma, etc. I think illness, injury, and age will have some effect on shifting, but as long as a werewolf is alive, I think it should be able to shift. Shifting may grow harder with age, injury, or illness, but I don't think shifting should ever be something that a werewolf is no longer capable of.

Losing Control

I think most werewolves would never lose control. However, I think that on occasion, some of them would. Perhaps the loss of control could be catalyzed by emotional distress or mental illness.

Anyway, I think that some werewolves must have lost control every now and then, or else there would never have been all those werewolf legends, of werewolves eating people. No werewolf who was in control of his actions would do that, so therefore, somebody had to have lost control at some point.

Life Span

Longer than the average human, but not so long as to arouse suspicion. 100 would perhaps be a natural lifespan, but werewolves dying in their 120s wouldn't be unheard of.

Health

Overall, they would be healthier than humans. They would hardly ever get sick.

Regeneration and Healing

They would heal much faster than the average human. I don't know exactly how much faster, but definitely a lot faster.

Painful TF

I am not in favor of this. I think it is more logical that the body would release hella endorphins and adrenaline during a TF, and thus they would actually enjoy it, and be energized afterwards.

Relationship between The Three Forms

Gestalt is not the midstage between human and wolf. You can go straight to wolf if you want, and straight back to human. They are all three separate forms, and you can choose which one you want to use without going through another one.

Senses

All of there sense are the best combination of human and wolf. So basically: wolf hearing, wolf sense of smell, human vision + wolf's ability to detect movement

Tails

Yes.

Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.

Dead Werewolves

If a werewolf dies in gestalt form, I think his body should revert back to human. Also, if a part of his body is severed, it should revert to human.

Alternatively, if he is in wolf or human form, his body/body parts should not change when he dies.

My Overall Feelings About Werewolves, Realism, and Aesthetics:

Werewolves which are aesthetically appealing > werewolves that are realistic
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Renorei wrote:

Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.

Legs. Not feet. :wink:

Renorei wrote:Dead Werewolves

If a werewolf dies in gestalt form, I think his body should revert back to human. Also, if a part of his body is severed, it should revert to human.

Alternatively, if he is in wolf or human form, his body/body parts should not change when he dies.

Hmmm......

Can you explain where the energy is coming from for a dead werewolf in gestalt form to change back to a human?

If magic had something to do with it, then I can understand. No magic, then I'm confused.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

The energy would either come from the muscle or the fat in the body either one would get the job done all it would take is one or two muscles and bam you got the energy you need
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Actually you guys do know that right after you die your body still has electricity and energy still flowing, it takes a while for it to go away.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Actually you guys do know that right after you die your body still has electricity and energy still flowing, it takes a while for it to go away.
I've heard that your Hair keeps growing long after you die...like weeks, or Months...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Vuldari wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:Actually you guys do know that right after you die your body still has electricity and energy still flowing, it takes a while for it to go away.
I've heard that your Hair keeps growing long after you die...like weeks, or Months...
not true
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

true but only a few hours after death what energy tgere is is released out of the body as heat
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Fenrir wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
not true
So the stories I've heard of short-haired peoples bodies having long hairs on their skulls when thier bodies are later excavated, months or years after thier burial (for crime investigations and the like) are all lies?

...or was it the finger and toenails? ...now I'm not sure...

...why would someone make that up?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Renorei wrote:Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.
Actually...the term is specifically speaking of whether the creature walks on it's toes exclusively, (The Digets in "Digitigrade"), or if the HEEL ever touches the ground for balance and support. ("Plantigrade").

So referring to it as a feature of the feet alone is perfectly appropriate. (Although, Digitigrade feet without a compensating leg stance would make for an unstable standing posture).
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Vuldari wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
not true
So the stories I've heard of short-haired peoples bodies having long hairs on their skulls when thier bodies are later excavated, months or years after thier burial (for crime investigations and the like) are all lies?

If I recall, it was a matter of illusion. They only looked longer because the skin around the nails had receded. I'm not sure about the hair thing.

-- Vilkacis
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote: So the stories I've heard of short-haired peoples bodies having long hairs on their skulls when thier bodies are later excavated, months or years after thier burial (for crime investigations and the like) are all lies?

From what I've heard, that's actually an illusion. Your body becomes dehydrated and the 'meaty' part of your body shrinks, pulling back away from the skin and nails. So it looks like the hair has grown, but it actually hasn't.

Anyway, in regards to how werewolves would manage to shift their bodies back once they've died...I have no idea. But, the thread (I believe) is simply asking for our preferences, not an explanation of them.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Renorei wrote:Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.
Actually...the term is specifically speaking of whether the creature walks on it's toes exclusively, (The Digets in "Digitigrade"), or if the HEEL ever touches the ground for balance and support. ("Plantigrade").

So referring to it as a feature of the feet alone is perfectly appropriate. (Although, Digitigrade feet without a compensating leg stance would make for an unstable standing posture).
Oh...

I'm used to hearing "digitigrade legs." I guess it can go both ways.

Vuldari wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/science/nailgrow.asp
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
http://www.snopes.com/science/nailgrow.asp
Thank you For clearing that up Figarou, Renorei and Vilkacis.

...I guess the myth of this got to my ears before the truth did...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: Thank you For clearing that up Figarou, Renorei and Vilkacis.

Maybe it's time to trim the fur from your ears, then?
Sure, you look cute like that, but it's not worth going deaf over.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:But, the thread (I believe) is simply asking for our preferences, not an explanation of them.
Yep. That's all I wanted.

I suppose it's my turn. Here's my werewolves, despite the fact I don't even like wolves...

Genre
Fantasy. I prefer it to science fiction or realism, because it saves me alot of headaches.

Forms
Human, half-wolf, and wolf.

Locomotion
When shifted, bipedal and quadrupedal. Weres in human form find it too awkward to walk on four limbs. Quad movement in half form, when running, somewhat remsembles the rolling gait of a charging bear.

General Appearance
Human: Looks just like an average human except for a thin, pale ring of yellow around the outside edge of the iris. It's just the right color as to only be noticeable if you're really close to the werewolf's face.

Half-wolf: Completely fur covered. Fur is smooth, and gets thicker in the winter. Bipedal stance with digitigrade legs. Half-wolf form is as tall as the human form standing as high as they can on their toes. The head is almost completely wolfen, but there's something subtle about it that suggests the creature is something more. Fur on the head is slightly longer than a wolf's. The neck is attatched in a way as to be flexible but not add a hunched look. Torso looks like that of a human, only not quite as wide. The hands are almost completely human but have pads on the palm and fingers. There is no pad on the wrist. Fingers are tipped with sharp claws. The arms are only slightly longer than they were in human form, but this doesn't give the were any difficulty when on all fours due to the digitigrade legs. Tail hangs down to just past the heel. Females have a soft, slight swelling on the chest where their breasts used to be. The nipples are small and not visible as they're covered by fur. There are none on the belly. Males are more heavily built and have thicker limbs. Both genders have muscles that are toned and dense but not bulky. The overall look is sleek and streamlined.

Wolf: Looks like a normal wolf. The only giveaway is the lack of a pad on the wrists.

Senses and talking
Human: Slightly better senses than the average human. They can hear pitches that normal people cannot, smell things before others can pick them up, and see better in dim light.

Half-wolf: Senses are extremely acute. This form takes the best of the human and wolf and blends them together. There is no loss of color perception as a result. They can talk, and their voices only sound a tiny bit rougher than as a human.

Wolf: Same as half form. Only talks when necessary.

Shifting
Takes anywhere from five seconds to two minutes depending on the experience and skill level of the were. It feels weird to someone not used to it but it isn't painful. Shifting is not ruled by the moon, though werewolves often feel an increased desire to shift around a full moon because it provides better light to hunt by. It takes about a month between being bitten and their first shift.
Last edited by Set on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:

...I don't get it... ??

I think this was supposed to be funny...

...but the joke is lost on me somehow.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:

...I don't get it... ??

I'm guessing he looked at your avatar and went from there.

:)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:

...I don't get it... ??

Oh...Now I get it.

Heh...heh..."Cute" Image

...I mean..."...WHAAAT?...I can't hear you...Speak UP!..." Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:

...I don't get it... ??

And he wins tiramisu!
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:I'm guessing he looked at your avatar and went from there.

And he wins tiramisu!
Deliciousl Picture
*Catches a whiff of the delicious dessert with his unobstructed, sensitive nose...dashes in, steals it and runs off with the silver tray in his teeth, dragging it all into his small Den.*

*Muffled munching and slurping sounds, mixed with metalic clattering heard comming our of the hole*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

:lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

http://www.transfur.com/Gallery/ViewIma ... Image=1181

If a werewolf looks like this (in the starting-fases of the transformation) then I'm not complaining. :D

The full-werewolf pics of the artist Tamen look less convincing though, IMO.

(art by Tamen, TF)
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.