Your ideal werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Nire
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Crazy and Lazy

Re: Your ideal werewolf

Post by Nire »

It took me a while to pin down how I wanted my WWs, but now I think I've got it.

Forms: Full human and full wolf. I'm actually not crazy about gestalts.

The Moon: Has a psychological effect on very superstitious werewolves, but no real power.

Silver: Bad in the bloodstream, but not on the skin/fur.

Human Form: Is completely human. Senses of hearing and smell are slightly enhanced. Hair usually doesn't get too long - about shoulder-length at the very most.

Wolf Form: No mass changes, so they may be somewhat larger or smaller than a normal wolf, depending upon the person. Other than that, completely wolf-like in appearance, except for slightly longer fur on the head, a bit like a mane. Still have human mind, but are not able to speak - though they understand each other and normal canines perfectly. No super strength or regeneration; strength is the same as human form, but speed and agility will increase (simply because, as far as locomotion goes, humans have terrible designs).

Hair/Eye Color: If hair or eye color is human, this transfers over to wolf form. If fur or eye color is wolf-like, this will carry over to human form. Any patterns, such as white belly fur, transfer to the human form as well (and yes, this means that "private" hair will be white, too).

Death: Can be killed by anything that would kill a normal human or wolf. No reverting between forms upon death.

Turning: A person bitten by a werewolf has about a 10% chance of becoming one themselves. If the werewolf has WW blood on their teeth, or the bitten human has werewolf ancestry, this jumps to about 50%.
~After being bitten, the person will turn for the first time three days later. This first transformation is slow and leaves the person feeling ill, but is otherwise not painful. After that, every transformation is quick and easy. Someone who is born a werewolf is technically able to change upon birth, but only starts doing so once their minds start truly developing - often around when they begin to walk or talk.
~Transformations are usually willful, but an overly excited (happy, frightened, etc.) person might change accidentally if they can't calm themselves down. Additionally, not transforming for a while can make them feel stir-crazy, and eventually they simply can’t help themselves (this includes human form as well as wolf form). Most recommend giving each form at least three hours out of every twenty-four, to prevent unwanted transformations.
~Clothing has to be removed before transformation to allow proper mobility (and to avoid looking silly!). Due to the lack of mass changing, clothes do not burst. Bracelets or looser necklaces might be kept on.

Society: Some live in family groups, others live alone, much like humans. Those living in packs usually have alphas, but the role of the alphas is different for each pack. For some, it is an absolute ruler; for others, it’s more like an elder who makes decisions, but doesn’t demand absolute obedience from those who disagree with him/her (unless, perhaps, someone might get hurt from that disobedience). Lone wolves often live near friends or family members they can turn to in times of need, or for general socialization. Those that are completely alone are more prone to accidental transformations, due to emotional stress and loneliness.
Hey, this side of the room has walls, too! Ain't that a kick?
Moss27
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Moon Hunter
Mood: Bored

Post by Moss27 »

My ideal werewolf:

Genre:
Usually fantasy, unless you're talking about the technical stuff, like how they transform and the such, then it's sci-fi.

Human Form:
Humans have better hearing, smelling and sight. They tend to have sharper canine teeth. Because of the werewolf part, they are able to understand canine interpretations (not necessarily the canine language) and are able to tell the difference between individual dogs and wolves. And because they are part canine, they can sense emotions from other humans, but they cannot read minds.

Wolf Form:
The wolf form's size is based on the age and size of the human form. Sorry to those who want gigantic werewolves, but how does all of that muscle turn up anyway? Their senses are stronger than regular wolves. Because of their human side, they are able to fully understand the human language they were raised with. The coat is based on the one who turned them into a werewolf.

Health:
A werewolf is generally healthier than humans are, but that does not necessarily mean they will live longer. They have a strong immunity to all diseases, but cases of sick werewolves aren't rare.

Moon:
Fantasy: They only transform if surrounded by moonlight. Being inside or having a cloudy sky doesn't count. And once they are transformed, they do not change back until sunrise, no matter what the weather is.
Sci-fi: No effect.

Transformation:
Fantasy: Very painful the first time, and depending on how they turned into werewolves in the first place, it will continue to be painful. This is also the same for human consciousness when in wolf form.
Sci-fi: The first time is painful, but it gradually becomes nulled after many transformations and retransformations. Human consciousness is present in wolf form.

How werewolves are born/created:
Fantasy: There are two main ways to become a werewolf, a ritual of some sort, or by the bite of a crazed werewolf, which was created when their ritual went awry.
Sci-fi: The werewolf gene can be passed down genetically. The gene was first created during genetic testing, and it occured during an 'accidental' discovery. This gene can also be injected, but injected werewolves are usually crazy, not used to the gene in their body.

It's not really that detailed, but I like it. XD
"I didn't do my homework, so why am I in trouble for something I didn't do?"
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Mythological origin: I tie werewolves to traditional folklore and fantasy, and I don't want them to be explained away scientifically. My ideal werewolf becomes one intentionally and magically, or is cursed, or is blessed, by the Gods or by some unseen or unexplainable force.

Pre-modern allegory: My preferred werewolf allegory is that of mankind returning to a natural, feral, pre-industrial state; to me, the wolf represents the essence of nature red in tooth and claw. The werewolf is the manifestation of man's latent primal memory.

Undoable transformation: My ideal werewolf doesn't necessarily transform from the full moon, but he may become transformed permanently, or at least he doesn't (or can't) shift to and from his human form. Again, as in some of the stories of old, he may not be able to be cured, or he must accomplish an "impossible" or significant feat to become human again (if he even wants to.) He is somehow able to turn others into werewolves like himself, either through a bite or in love; the transformation will be nearly immediate.

Fright, but not horror: I don't mind werewolves as a vessel for violence and bloodshed, but my ideal werewolf isn't the best choice for that archetype. Because of his nature and appearance, he might be frightening to those around him, and perceived as a danger, just as nature itself. He's wild, but not evil; although he's perceived to be evil, just as most other inhuman, fanged, clawed creatures.

"Beauty And The Beast" syndrome: My werewolf would accept that he has more in common with a wild beast than with his human "family;" perhaps bitterly, but perhaps with excitement at the idea of a new life. Shunned at best, hunted at worst, time passes before his neutrality (or benevolence) is revealed. He'll probably be a hero when all is said and done, although he still has no place in civilization.

Thoughts touched by the wild: This werewolf retains most of his human personality, but he is drugged by wild impulses that are now an inseparable part of his being. His wolfish instincts are a strange new power, like some ancient wisdom suddenly unlocked, but with a price: the stronger his emotions, the more likely his actions are controlled solely by instinct.

Bestial appearance: Ideally he will be a two-form werewolf, either human and gestalt or human and wolf, with a strong preference for the former. The half-human, half-wolf is noticeably larger than a normal man, though perhaps due to the bristling fur coat that runs over his body. He is lithe and athletic with taut muscles; human frailty vanishes in this form, but he is no hulking monstrosity. His face is mostly a wolf's, but with eyes that betray a human intelligence. With more paw-like feet, though clearly hybridized by human blood, he walks on padded toes. His claws and fangs are perfectly sharp and not dulled. Although a wolf's tail gives him some natural balance, he might not run fully upright. With time, his human senses of modesty might grow dim, and he may not notice an absence of clothing.

Endurance: Werewolves live as long as their gift allows, depending on the story. My ideal beast-man is endowed with a kind of hybrid vigor that renders him nearly invulnerable to human diseases and other ailments. Supernaturally he is resistant to harm of any kind; although that's not to say he can't be killed, only that doing so is a difficult task. His age may never be mentioned, but in truth, my werewolf might have lived over a century and aged very little.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Go, go, random observation!

Post by Set »

:blink: Yanno...I don't remember any of this, and I started the bloody topic.
Nire
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Crazy and Lazy

Re: Go, go, random observation!

Post by Nire »

Set wrote::blink: Yanno...I don't remember any of this, and I started the bloody topic.
That's awesome. :lol:
Hey, this side of the room has walls, too! Ain't that a kick?
Wer-Wolf

Re:

Post by Wer-Wolf »

[quote="Shadow Wulf"]Actually you guys do know that right after you die your body still has electricity and energy still flowing, it takes a while for it to go away.[/quote

hey, this has nothing to do with anything but what is that animated werewolf from and so you know of any good anime werewolf films??
The Wer-Wolf
wulver84

Post by wulver84 »

Hmm..This one is always interesting. I have to say I share a lot of the same ideas with others on here.

Mythological origin: Natural/turned. I don't take to the idea of making a pact or use magic in order to attain it. You can arrange to be bitten of course but that's it. As for 'natural' that is born - and here all the old rules apply; new moon etc. But again, in my view if you really want it you can seek it and it will be given to you. It's something that you have to want, or be thrust apon you by birth or fate.

Transformation: Sort of a halfway point between man and wolf as it's physically less demanding. Those who really try can make it all the way. It occurs on the full moon though I believe it is possible during the night before and after for full transformation to occur if you stand outside and embrace the moon.

His character would again be a mixture of his two forms. Bear in mind that many of the myths surrounding the 'savagery' of the werewolf is based on old pre-conceptions about wolves themselves. Now we know that wolves are private but sociable and not quick to temper. I think that would be the same upon transformation. You have a tie to your humanity too - your human family is also your family as a wolf and you will protect them. If you transformed in the family home you wouldn't attack your family. Likewise if you met a child or someone minding their own business outside you wouldn't harm them. But you would react to agression and violence from others often with disproportionate force. Your human mind may tell you to call the police when you see someone who is being attacked but as a wolf...?
W'rkncacnter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Hard to Pronounce

Post by W'rkncacnter »

Been searching for this thread for a while...

Given my education, I have to create a definition that while being sufficiently fantastic to fit the genre, at the same time, also rationalizes why werewolves 'don't exist' in common knowledge. Here goes...

We'll start with the nature of the magic that allows werewolves to exist. In my fiction (when I get around to writing it, shut up), magic is split into two categories: Magique and Thauma. Magique is the more overt magic that is distinctly recognizable as so, such as a mage throwing fireballs, etc. (derived from the french word magique, which means means 'art'). Thauma, from the latin word for 'miracle', is the more base magic that defines the underlying laws of the magical world.

Magique is very simple; it is magical energy, gathered up from the environment and channeled towards another magical focus. Magical energy is attracted to itself, much like gravity. Magique is the art of manipulating this attraction to move energy around from one spot to another in various ways. Magi are practitioners of Magique.

That's all very interesting, but it's also irrelevant. So let's get to the good stuff.

Thauma is like the laws of physics for the magical world; the underlying logos, or base system of unbreakable rules, that define how magic interacts with sentient beings and the physical realm. There are many known laws of Thauma, but the two we'll concern ourselves with are the Glaumur and the Thaumaform, without which the werewolf cannot exist.

The Thaumaform is the mirror image of one's physical body that exists on the magical plane parallel to ours. Mirror image is something of a misnomer; the Thaumaform often doesn't look at all like you, but rather how you truly feel you should look (for example, a human therian would probably have a wolflike Thaumaform). The Thaumaform and the physical body occupy the same space at any given time; in times of great stress, the Thaumaform and the physical body merge as a defense mechanism, giving the individual greater strength, intelligence, and fortitude. Most of the time, though, they are separated by a passive barrier that all beings project called the Glaumur.

The Glaumur is a peculiar phenomena; it is the sole reason that magic is not known to exist by most of modern society. It is the tendency of magic to hide itself from prying eyes through more easily explainable physical phenomena, much in the same way a sloth hides from predators by playing dead, but in a practical sense it serves the purpose of keeping the physical and magical realms separate. In most cases, the Glaumur is so strong that the most powerful mage on Earth wouldn't be able to harm the physical body of another human through magique (the human would probably feel a slight breeze or smell something funny). Physicists and other practical scientists, those who actively debunk magical phenomena, are virtual beacons of Glaumur; anywhere they roam, magic conceals itself totally and utterly.

In some places, however, the Glaumur blurs and weakens. The most common instance of this is in one's own case, when the Thaumaform and your physical body join to grant you greater survivability in a dangerous situation (see above), but there are other instances. The moon tends to wear down the Glaumur, so that then the full moon is out, many magical phenomena occur throughout the world.

Werewolves are an aspect of this. The identity and origin of the first 'were is lost to time, but much is known about the process and existence of modern werewolves. A werewolf (from the Gaelic word 'were', meaning man, and wolf, meaning, well...you get it) is a human whose Thaumaform is one of a wolf instead of a human, and, through contact with another werewolf, has gained the ability to, through concentration, break through his Glaumur and fuse the two forms together, resulting in a new, stronger, faster, and altogether better form.

The process by which one becomes a werewolf is simple; you get bit by a transformed werewolf. Once your physical body has interacted with their changed body in a manner traumatic enough to affect your Thaumaform, the wearing down of the Glaumur begins. This may take as long as a few days to almost a month, but always ends, rather traumatically, when the full moon appears to the subject. At that point, the Glaumur breaks, and the individual shifts into his new, true shape; a werewolf. As a side effect of the wearing down, the physical body is affected slightly, too; your metabolism gets faster, you heal a bit faster...basically, your body works harder to repair and renew itself than before.

The physical form of a changed wolf, like the Thaumaform itself, varies from person to person, but always shares a few characteristics that make the shifted form ideal for combat and survival. This is because the merge between forms takes place in much the same manner as the defense mechanism by which the Glaumur ordinarily breaks down (see above). Such combat-ready abilities include:

>senses that are dramatically heightened; sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste all improve to unheard-of levels
>strength and durability that are improved; some larger werewolves can, with effort, pick up and throw weights in the realm of 750kg (3/4 of a ton), and can survive a three-story fall only dazed and bruised.
>agility is increased; reaction time makes almost all perceived events crystal-clear, and most werewolves can run at a staggering pace for a two-legged animal-close to 35 mph.

...and so on. Such power has it's limitations, however. For any given period of time the Glaumur is torn asunder to allow the shift to take place, it begins to push back, attempting to restore the natural magical order. How long the shift can be maintained depends on the individual, but no one can do it for more than a few days at once.

The shift can be triggered after this by any number of means, ranging from intense emotion, to force of will, to mortal peril. Situations that do not warrant a complete shift (such as somewhere very public) will cause a partial one: the individual in question may be noticed to have eyes the wrong color, or canines (the 'fang' teeth) that are a tad bit too long...

Because it is impossible to stay shifted forever, werewolf society never leaves the realm of 'secret friends'. Because all werewolves must eventually acknowledge that some part of them is still human, and because no werewolf is born that way, virtually every werewolf has a human life of some kind.

Silver doesn't just affect werewolves but any magic at all. Silver is an intrinsically magical meta, much like neodynium is intrinsically magnetic. Because of magic's tendency to attract to itself, Silver absorbs magic from the surrounding environment, making magique harder to use and the Glaumur harder to break. Under the right circumstances, Sliver will release it's stored energy, having the opposite effect, but for the most part, it acts as a dampener.

What silver is to Jade, weed killer is to Agent Orange. Jade doesn't absorb magic but instead changes it into a different type of magical energy which, while much more active and easy to use, is also toxic and unstable. Exposing any magical creature or magic user to jade is like making superman drink a kryptonite soda; it weakens and sickens them, and with enough time, will kill them.
Last edited by W'rkncacnter on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What can create a new system, or destroy an old one? What can change the lives of everyone who touches it? What can strengthen the whole world, or shake it to its very roots? What can create whole nations, and change the course of history?

An idea.

-Unknown
Raven DeVir
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: the Insane Mouse
Mood: Stressed

Re:

Post by Raven DeVir »

Figarou wrote:
Renorei wrote:

Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.

Legs. Not feet. :wink:
Actually, they are feet. :D The bent part below the knee is actually the heel of the foot, and they stand on their toes. Much like a cat, wolf, cow, ect. ^_^ Not many people know that, so don't worry :)

ANYhoo, pretty much EVERYTHING that Renorei said in her post, but with longer extended life-spans that are noticeable. They aren't immortal, but I like the idea of a slow aging process, so that they can somewhat be compared to the etenal vampires.

In my own "race" of werewolves, I also created a breed that only had one form: Bipedal-wolf form. They look exactly like Renorei had said, but with this one form. They are born like this, and live the rest of their lives happily this way. They are highly respected in the Clan, and 2x stronger (as well as 3-4 feet taller) than a fully transformed werewolf that has the abiltity to shift into multiple forms.

I also imagine them to all be part of a single large Clan that branches off into numerous smaller Packs. I mean, there are those who rather keep to themselves and become loners, but most werwolves are pack oriented.

And, not to leave anyone out, there are definitely other Were-forms that live among the Clan peacefully (such as weretigers, wereravens, ect.). But that's another thread :P
Last edited by Raven DeVir on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pirate of the flesh throwback your head and part your jowls to sing a lunar song.
The forest paths are dark and the night is long.
" ~Blood & Chocolate (the Novel)
NamiTheUntamed
Custom Title: Rawr

Post by NamiTheUntamed »

I actually use 4 forms. Human form, two intermediate forms, and a completely wolf form.

In human form, the only thing that can immediately indicate that they are werewolves are unusual hair colors or markings, but most people wouldn’t really see the connection other than people who know about or hunt werewolves. Other things that could draw suspicion are if they wonder into the woods or away from civilization frequently, or if they have a very tight-knit group of friends or family members who seem to be the only ones they really trust, and never seem to be apart from very often. That indicates they are a pack.

The next form is the first intermediate one, where they appear to be mostly human, but with a few wolf qualities. They have slightly bushier eyebrows, slightly longer hair, their canine teeth become more fang-like, their fingernails and toenails become more like claws, their eyes look darker and more beastly-like, and they have wolf-like ears and tails. This form is most useful for agile and speedy werewolves.

The second intermediate form is basically what the rest of you describe as the middle form. Mostly wolf, but retain some human traits like being able to stand upright and use their arms and hands, and speak. (though speaking is more difficult and rough sounding in this form) Totally covered in fur and whatever hair they had as a human.

Then you have the wolf form, which is not much different from a regular wolf, but they will be much smarter and therefore much more difficult to hunt and kill than a regular wolf. This form is best used when running around to get adrenaline rushes or for increased stamina. It can also be used to blend in with regular wolves if needed. Obviously they cannot talk in this form at all, save for body language.

Their senses are obviously, also, much more acute in their wolfish/wolf forms than in human form, aside from sight.

Silver: No. It has no special effect or significance. Werewolves are vulnerable to every other deadly thing that anyone else is vulnerable too, as well. You don’t need a silver bullet, a regular bullet will do.

But good luck getting a good shot at them, though. They still have human intelligence and can dodge bullets easier than a normal wolf can.

Moon: Due to the higher demands on a shape-shifter’s body, werewolves require some extra energy in the form of adrenaline rushes, and the moon helps trigger a primal thrill in them which aids in those rushes. Other than that, no other significant effect.

Healing and Regeneration: No regeneration at all. If a werewolf gets injured, it carries over to their other form, but they do heal faster than a human and building their strength helps.

They can transform willingly, but they can’t go forever without being in a wolf form. The longer they’ve been in human form, the bigger the urge they will have to transform. Eventually, they just won’t be able to take it anymore and they will transform no matter who is watching. That’s why it’s important to transform away from the human eye every once in awhile to keep that from happening.

The transformation itself feels weird when they first transform, but they eventually get used to it. It’s not <i>usually</i> painful. Transforming too quickly or too many times in a row can cause side-effects, however. Transforming too quickly can cause pain, and transforming too many times in a row without resting or regaining energy can cause a massive energy drain, making the werewolf feel very light-headed and dizzy, or even cause them to pass out. It’s up to the individual werewolf to determine how fast and how often they can transform that is right for their own bodies. Generally, transformations only last a few seconds, but every second can count when in a tight situation.

If they die or get knocked out, they do not revert to human form or any other form. If you die in wolf form, you stay that way, if you get knocked unconscious then you can’t transform.

As for how werewolves are made, that matter is a bit complicated. The werewolves in my story have a specific back-story as to how they were created. It’s sort of magic-related, but I don’t really like calling it magic.

Anyway, the gist of it is basically that these people preformed a strange ritual on some wolves, and sent them to attack their enemies. The people who got bitten did not become werewolves, but any <i>children</i> the bitten people had were born as werewolves.

And, then, those werewolves would have children either with other werewolves or humans, who would also be born as werewolves, and so on and so forth, and thus the werewolf species was born.

So werewolves were “created” in that sense, back during their origins, but werewolves are always born werewolves. You cannot become one if you weren’t born one, and you can’t “cure” it. It’s like a race or a species. You’re just born the way you are and can’t change it.

A werewolf is, essentially, someone who has the spirit of a wolf but can assume human form.

A werewolf will usually make their first transformation when their bodies are strong enough to handle the extra demands. It doesn’t have to be after puberty, it just depends on the individual, and can be as young as 7 or 8.

They actually live shorter than humans. Wolves have MUCH shorter life spans than humans, so why a werewolf would actually live longer than a human still baffles me a bit. They don’t live THAT much shorter though. They typically live into their 60s.

I also added to my werewolves the ability of connecting to certain elements of nature and learning to manipulate a particular element in a certain way. (Water, wind, earth, etc) It’s usually only one element per werewolf and it spends a LOT of energy doing this, though, so they’re not seen doing it that often. Usually only when attacking several targets at a time and with careful precision, and when they’re able to stand still for a minute to perform this. I guess you could compare it to “bending” from the Avatar series, but unlike in that show, they can’t do it constantly or perform fancy martial arts tricks with them.

When it comes to their packs, they’re a little different from regular wolf packs, but not by much. When gathered together, they usually like to be in one of their wolf forms. They also have the instinct to transform whenever their pack members do. One werewolf, (maybe two) is generally accepted by the other members as being the “pack leader.” They’re usually the oldest and more mature, but it depends on the pack. He or she is usually very trusted by the others and so they will often do as he or she says. But the relationship is more comparable to a student who is trusting in his teacher rather than a commander ordering around his soldiers. There can still be defiance and disagreements.

They’re usually very close and only consist of a few members, between three and ten. They’re also more into physical contact than humans and it’s not unusual for them to gather very close together or give each other random hugs or shows of affection.
Damien Darkwere
Custom Title: Damien Darkwere

Post by Damien Darkwere »

Hey I'm writing a Werewolf book and need some advice on how a pack of 367 wolves (in gestalt form of course) would interact with a human eating lone wolf? The pack lives on animals only. :) :evil:
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.
Mood: Excited

Re:

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

Renorei wrote:Ok, this is my post from that other thread, but with some changes.

Genre

My werewolves are probably somewhere between realism and fantasy

Signs of Lycanthropy in Human Form

None whatsoever, except looking healthier and having more energy. They will not be hairy, and they will not under any circumstances have unibrows. Frankly, I don't see why that would be logical, especially considering the fact that all of the rest of the wolf or gestalt form's fur goes away, so why would eyebrow hair stay? Also, I'm opposed to it because of aesthetics.

However, one sign which might be appropriate would be to have the human form have slightly larger canines. But this is the only one suggested thus far that I like.

Mass Gain from shifting

There should most definitely be a mass gain, when shifting to gestalt form. I haven't figured out exactly how much...but I'm definitely not a fan of the 'conservation of mass' thing.

Height

I think that, on average, a werewolf's height should increase by 1-3 feet when shifting to gestalt. I haven't figured out exactly how much I want the height to increase, but I know that I want it to be at least a foot, and I also know that (IMO) 3 feet would be too much. Thus, this is my preferred range. For a movie, I would like consistency. If one werewolf's height increases by 1.5 feet, they should all increase by roughly 1.5 feet.

Muscles

There muscles would enlarge and become more defined. As a result, an average human would look quite buff when in gestalt form. A human who was already buff would look...well...really really buff. Etc.

Head

Wolfish. I want the head to definitely suggest wolfishness, but I don't want to see werewolves that have heads that are identical to wolves. That would look silly. Basically, I want an extremely fierce, stylized version of a wolf's head. What I want in a werewolf head can be compared to Sidor's Dyre, Goldie's Kierrn, or Van Helsing.

Fur

The fur color of a werewolf will be determined by the human form's hair color. This will be the 'base' color. In most werewolves, there would be other colors mixed in, but some werewolves might be one solid color.

Hair Retention

Hair from the human form would be retained in the gestalt form. The only area in which this would be visible, however, would be on the head, since werewolf fur would cover up the rest of it. I like the idea of human characters with long hair ending up with manes in the gestalt form. I think that would be really cool looking, and I would want one if I became a werewolf.

Level of Fur Coverage

No skin. I want to see them completely covered in fur. I've seen plenty werewolf movies in which skin was used in the gestalt form, and it never works. To me, they all look ugly. I want a completely furry (though not shaggy) werewolf.

Claws

Claws would be large. Not ridiculously large, but still large. They would also be very sharp, even though most canine claws aren't. The reason would be because each time they become gestalt, the claws have to regrow. So, basically, it's a new set of claws each time. The claws haven't had time to wear down yet, if they recently TFed. Therefore, the claws would be brand new and thus sharp. (Kinda like a puppy's claws. If you've ever been clawed by a puppy, you'll know they're sharp.) Also, they should be much tougher than a wolf's claws.

Sounds

They can make all wolf sounds, and can make some rudimentary human sounds. Personally, I think they should still be able to talk in gestalt, even though it would be difficult. I also think they should have a whole new set of sounds that comes only from the strange blending of wolf and human. I think werewolves (in gestalt) should have a distinct sound that is neither human or wolf, but an eerie blend of both. It could be used as a dramatic tool in a movie, kinda like the weird throaty sound was used in The Grudge.

Breasts

Small, non-bouncy, not distracting at all, covered in fur. Barely enough of a swelling to hint at their femaleness.

Male/Female differences

Males would obviously be stronger than females, however I don't think females should look weak by any means. As I put it in another thread, I don't think anyone should ever be able to look at a male and female gestalt standing together and say "Oh wow, he could so easily beat her up." Females should look strong, fierce, and powerful, but in a feminine way. Also, if males are going to be stronger, I'd like it if females had some sort of bonus, to make male and female fights more fair. Perhaps they could be faster or more agile.

Speed and Strength

I'd say that an average werewolf would be about as fast as an olympic runner and as strong as one of the strong-man guys. I don't give a damn if that's illogical or not.

Silver and the Moon

No. Not at all. The only exception I would make would be that perhaps werewolves are more jittery or excited around the moon, but it certainly can't force them to transform.

Children

I think the 'can't TF until puberty' argument is crap. Kid werewolves can shift too.

The Wolf Form

Frankly the wolf form doesn't interest me at all. I think gestalt is much cooler. Nonetheless, I would say that the wolf form would be larger, faster, and stronger than an average wolf, but not ridiculously so. A studier of wolves would look at them and go, "WOW! That is a huge wolf!" not "Oh my, there's no way that is a wolf. It's too big". So in other words, not so big as to be unbelievable.

Gestalt Vs. Human Battle

Honestly, I don't think a human would stand much chance. I'm not going to say that a human couldn't possibly win, but their chances are laughable. Only a fool with a deathwish would challenge a werewolf to a battle (even if he was a very powerful and talented human fighter). I think that an odd stroke of luck would be a far more likely culprit to human victory than the ability of said human, but nonetheless I will not deny the ridiculously unlikely possibility. Let me state however, that I don't really want to see a werewolf and human fighting in a movie. To me, that'd be like pitting a really weak foe against a strong one, and thus, boring and unfair. If the werewolf won, I would say, "No surprise", but if the human won, I would criticize the movie for being ridiculous. I'd rather see werewolf vs. werewolf battles, since that is fair, and thus, interesting.

Illness, Injury, Age affecting Shifting

The only thing that I think could ever stop you from shifting permanently would be death, or becoming braindead, or being in a coma, etc. I think illness, injury, and age will have some effect on shifting, but as long as a werewolf is alive, I think it should be able to shift. Shifting may grow harder with age, injury, or illness, but I don't think shifting should ever be something that a werewolf is no longer capable of.

Losing Control

I think most werewolves would never lose control. However, I think that on occasion, some of them would. Perhaps the loss of control could be catalyzed by emotional distress or mental illness.

Anyway, I think that some werewolves must have lost control every now and then, or else there would never have been all those werewolf legends, of werewolves eating people. No werewolf who was in control of his actions would do that, so therefore, somebody had to have lost control at some point.

Life Span

Longer than the average human, but not so long as to arouse suspicion. 100 would perhaps be a natural lifespan, but werewolves dying in their 120s wouldn't be unheard of.

Health

Overall, they would be healthier than humans. They would hardly ever get sick.

Regeneration and Healing

They would heal much faster than the average human. I don't know exactly how much faster, but definitely a lot faster.

Painful TF

I am not in favor of this. I think it is more logical that the body would release hella endorphins and adrenaline during a TF, and thus they would actually enjoy it, and be energized afterwards.

Relationship between The Three Forms

Gestalt is not the midstage between human and wolf. You can go straight to wolf if you want, and straight back to human. They are all three separate forms, and you can choose which one you want to use without going through another one.

Senses

All of there sense are the best combination of human and wolf. So basically: wolf hearing, wolf sense of smell, human vision + wolf's ability to detect movement

Tails

Yes.

Digitrade Feet

Very Yes.

Dead Werewolves

If a werewolf dies in gestalt form, I think his body should revert back to human. Also, if a part of his body is severed, it should revert to human.

Alternatively, if he is in wolf or human form, his body/body parts should not change when he dies.

My Overall Feelings About Werewolves, Realism, and Aesthetics:

Werewolves which are aesthetically appealing > werewolves that are realistic
Well rather your human or not, it wont matter how tall you are.

because if you read alot of werewolf books....the werewolf form can make you at least twice your actual heighth. heck if you think they should be 1 to 3 feet...than that must be one short werewolf. lol XD
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
Noir-Okami
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Troper

Post by Noir-Okami »

No Hulks or monsters. Unless they use 'roids or are evil in the first place.
I'm working on a werewolf novel, while liking to stay up late at night and going to college. I'm going to be sleep-deprived when this is all said and done. :sleepy:

Anthony Brownrigg, I hope you have the best of luck with Freeborn. RedEye, I also wish you the best of luck with Wulfen Blood. And for a bit of luck for both of you... :ducktoss3:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... 262#p76262

I find it absolutely extraordinary how my perspective and opinions on what I prefer from a Werewolf did a total 180 between when I first signed on to this forum way back in 2004 and now in late 2008.

In the beginning, I was all about the absurd and the extreme ... and everyone agreed with me, and all was well.

... but then the "SuperFurry: A Werewolf Story" theme I was cheering for began to sour in my mind ... and while the rest of THE PACK continued to rally around a variety of Werewolf that they all would WANT to become (if they could), my own thoughts progressively turned Darker and DARKER ... and what I began to find was ... I LIKED it like that.

It should be quite fascinating for me to compare just how drastically different my opinions will be when I try to describe my "Ideal Werewolf" NOW, compared to back THEN.

(This will take some thought...)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Agreed! I don't know if my own thoughts have gone the same way... but they definitely are darker now than... remember the werewolf wearing an apron?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

My inclination as far as a perfect werewolf is concerned doesn't really settle so much around the wulf him or herself, but rather the conditions which created it. We haven't exactly seen a lot of investigation in this area...

What we do have:

1) It's hereditary, deal with it.
2) It's a curse, usually passed along.
3) It's a "mutation".
4) It's "magick".

And there's really no exploration beyond that point, what I would more prefer to see is a werewolf that has a strong basis, one were the background of the transformation is truly defined, this would lead to the werewolf him or herself having more rhyme and reason to its existence.

I need a good example, here...

Did anyone see the Hollow Child episode of the new Doctor Who? It's what many will consider to be the first season, I s'pose, Eccleston ... fuzzy-headed bloke. Anyway, in that episode there was an instance of wetware designed for medical applications. It basically repaired the child, but then it used it as a template to "heal" other humans, doing a lot of harm until it finally figured out what humans were supposed to be.

That was an interesting storyline, and long before that one I was considering that it might be interesting to see a werewolf storyline created along the same basis.

I'd like the "curse", to be similar to that, I'd like it to have its own motives, and I'd like it to help create the end werewolf. It could use genes to determine fur-colour from hair colour and such, but at the end of the day, it's out to create a very specific type of werewolf, and one that can be shifted to at will. Such a thing might even allow the person to shift to pure Wolf form, since if this form of rogue wetware was operating on the quantum level (hooray for piconstructs!), then a lot more can be accomplished than the laws of physics would normally allow for.

It could also go beyond that, by dumping a base amount of knowledge and instinct into the victim's mind, so that they know how to use their body as if they'd spent their life with it, and it may even allow for telepathic communication between those it deems as pack (this would probably be achieved by the wetware operating on radio frequencies, and transmitting thoughts back and forth).

Ultimately, I suppose the desire of such wetware would be to replicate itself, so it would seem like a curse to a lot of people, and it would probably drive its victims to pass it along. Beyond that though, I'd imagine it would allow said victims to act of their own accord, and with free will, being generally as they were when they were human, but with more Wolven instincts.

I've touched on werewolf form before, but to extend on that a little, it's possible that the type of werewolf that's created could be built upon the life experiences of the person, so there could be more than one type at the end of the day. Make a were out of a spy and you'll probably end up with a more lithe, mobile werewolf. Make one out of a body-builder, and the end result would probably be more like the Hulk.

If a werewolf goes feral, it would be the choice of the individual, and a more cerebral person may even figure out how to interface with the rogue wetware that's infected them, gaining extra boons. But some of those boons might be on a more psychological level. For example: The muscles of a Wolf may swell in a full-moon simply because the individual believes with genuine conviction that the full moon has an effect on werewolves. But with effort, and gnostic exploration, a clever person might eventually be able to effect their form to their advantage, occasionally. But only within the parameters that the wetware has defined, and been hard-coded with.

To wrap up: The wetware would probably endow its host with a lot of boons in order to keep the host body healthy, so that it may propagate. One of these elements might include regeneration, thus making the host body healthy and healing it at regular intervals of any wounds it might have incurred. This would likely occur naturally over time, but it would definitely occur when shifting occurs as that's when the whole body is basically rebuilt. However, someone who's able to interface with that wetware might be able to demand more speedy regeneration without shifting, but the effort of this might leave them feeling drained, psychologically at least.

A scenario like this would lead to my perfect werewolf, because the werewolf would be based on a more rational Sci-Fi background, and the werewolf itself would be very individual whilst still having factory settings -- the base schematic of what a werewolf should be would be within its code, but as I covered, it would draw on the individual on both a genetic and psychological level so that each werewolf is a little different from the last.

The interesting question then, is whom would create such a form of technology, why would they do it, and what would the end result of that be? Well, that's for my werewolf story, should I ever get around to writing the je'tutin thing...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

I loved that episode, it was a great show of the dangers of rogue wetware, and it's something I'd love to see adapted to a werewolf story one day.

I know that's been done, after a twisted sort of fashion, Gov't experiments and whatnot, but it's never really gotten very out of control. And I so no reason why thinking miniature bio-tech can't go all survivalist and feral! That would be fun.

But still, I need to stop rambling about this, as enjoyable as it might be.
WoundedWolfgirl
Additional Details: One cool cat by the name of Emma.

Post by WoundedWolfgirl »

My ideal werewolf is a creature consisting of two forms, at two different times: a normal human and a NORMAL wolf (not some weird anthropomorphic man-wolf thing). In the human form, a werewolf looks like a normal human. In the wolf form, a werewolf looks like a normal wolf, but retains its human consciousness. A werewolf can morph from human to wolf form and back at any time, but at the time of the full moon, MUST transform to wolf form. When in wolf form, the werewolf does not become an insane, savage beast, but, as I said before, retains its human consciousness and mind (not that there's anything wrong with a wolf mind). A werewolf is either born a werewolf, from two werewolf parents, or is made one, by being bitten by a werewolf. A werewolf can infect a human, thus making them a werewolf (why, oh why hasn't that happened to me!), when in either their wolf or human form, by biting the human. Werewolves can be killed by getting silver into their blood stream, by shooting with silver bullets or injecting directly into the blood stream, what have you. Werewolves are not by nature evil, their character is different from werewolf to werewolf, just like with humans. There are good werewolves and evil werewolves. They live among humans, keep their true natures secret, and the good werewolves do not hunt or kill humans. Hmmm...I think that about covers it, for my ideas of the ideal werewolf! :shift: Werewolves are the BEST! As are wolves! :howl:  :oo
Emma
"I dream of wolves, with them I run..." ~Nightwish, "White Night Fantasy"
Bloodyredbaron
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Undead Mutant Dinosaur
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Bloodyredbaron »

I think what the werewolf is should be informed by the story.

If you're telling a romance story in which the werewolf is a tragic figure, you might want to portray lycanthropy in a negative light (although this need not be the case, it simply makes the storytelling easier) and you might want to place the design in the Wolfman ballpark, to closely associate the monster with the man.

If you want your werewolves to be uber awesome superheroes who rip teh evil vampires in half, the sixteen foot tall Van Helsing werewolves might be the ones for you.

Again, I think the story should inform what the werewolf is like.

From a design point I tend to gravitate more towards the demonic dire wolf similar to the American Werewolf design, although anything appropriately monstrous is likely to attract my attention.
"I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's just eggs hatching."
-Jack Handey
Werewolf Warrior
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Warrior Hero
Additional Details: Email: werewolfwarrior@ymail.com

http://myspace.com/werewolfwarrior

Main Grid Second Life Name: Alexie Borgin.

Post by Werewolf Warrior »

Well...my Ideal werewolf is more likely a irishmen born a monster (from a humans point of view), but really a werewolf.

Body type: Body Builder

Height: 6 ft. 3 inches

Profession: Hero Warrior

^_^
Werewolf Nation Leader

If any of you wish to join us in Second Life please do, and if you want to you can join our site at http://www.werewolfnation.webs.com/index.htm
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycan94 »

Hmmmmm.
Looks:
Human form is mostly human, but not quite. Longer teeth that are sharper (cannines specificaly), and many chew thier nails to stubs as a way of "fitting in". Many younglings have a second set of canines, but not all, and those that do lose them by age fourteen (this is when the age starts to slow down. It will slow to around 3.5:1, in other words, every thre and a half years a human ages, a fourteen year old to 21 year old will age 1). All younglings and adults have a "halfway form" that combines their forms strenghths together. This form has longer nails, furry feet, enlarged canines and males get these awesome sideburns, females get longer hair.
Wolf form is the next step up from "halfwayform". Younglings cannot control their changing until they look to be twenty one.
It is muscular, digitgrade and a quadraped. It has long arms, shaggy fur and a terrible underbite. the eyes change to black in this form, and males will develope manes. Females have very small breasts in this form, and only two, as in human form.
In wolf form, their "parts" are covered in thick and shaggy fur so they can't be seen. If or when they stand on two legs, they will choose to have a support such as a tree present.

Strengths:

Super senses, super speed/endurance/strength. Healing factor, cannot be killed by normal or silver bullets, genetic knowledge.

Weaknesses:

Silver causes paralisys, fire kills. Cannot digest fruits and vegetables, will end up "Prayin' to the Porcilain Gods" if they eat afformentioned "Cow feed". Would prefer a nice juicy stake or raw meet over anything.

That dreaded subject

Werewolves are monogomous, mate for life (one dies, other will soon follow, like Johnny and June), and have nothing against same sex marrigaes (love is love, who cares about the gender? as they would put it) and although they don't support it, will not obbses over getting rid of bestiality*, given that they're animals themselves.
They do not allow anyone who harms a child in anyway shape or form to survive. Many will go vigilante in a high crime city.

Family structure:

Prefer to live with or near canines. Many who live alone will get a ton of big dogs and bite them to create longer living hybridogs (small dogs don't have enough mass to live through the transformation.)

On Vampires.

Will not harm those of certain bloodlines without permission. Some will fall in love with vampires, although no children have been produced as of yet from the 10 couples (one of which is same sex).
Rouges, on the other hand, are a different story that can best be described as:
KILL THEM! RIP THEM UP, EAT THEM!

* I wanted to add this edit as soon as possible so please don't kill me for my werewolf's beliefs.
I DO NOT, In any way shape or form, support bestiality, caninophillia or any other form of sex with animals. No, I do not belong to PETA, and no, I do not make a contribution monthly to the Humane scociety, but I do not support afformentioned acts with animals. I do not have a lawyer, so don't sue. The only reason I put that comment in there is because Its an ongoing gag in the movie i'm working on (one of the characters says in response to vampire werewolf relationships something along the lines of: "Oh that's just wonderful. Bestiality and Necrophlia. What's next, you'll tell me Dahmer was a Werewolf vampire crossbreed or something?")
I donot support Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz or anyother serial killers (to my knowledge) or the activities they participate in.
Last edited by lycan94 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death is the final reminder of our own mortality.
When all my ennimies die, I hope i have the strength to spit on their graves or the money to pay someone to do it for me
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Vuldari: I emphasize with you completely. Originally I tried shooting for the 'realistic'-intelligent and misunderstood idea pertaining to werewolves, but I've recently devised my own race (dubbed the "Vikaara") that is centered totally on the idea of blood-thisty and invulnerable man killers. It's not that I think werewolves *should* be demons...but I like the idea of the innerbloodlust ... and giving humanity and bit of unbeatable competition.
:evil:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

outwarddoodles wrote:Vuldari: I emphasize with you completely. Originally I tried shooting for the 'realistic'-intelligent and misunderstood idea pertaining to werewolves, but I've recently devised my own race (dubbed the "Vikaara") that is centered totally on the idea of blood-thisty and invulnerable man killers. It's not that I think werewolves *should* be demons...but I like the idea of the innerbloodlust ... and giving humanity and bit of unbeatable competition.
:evil:
Interesting.

For me, it's not so much about the "Violence" or "Bloodlust" (though those elements add quite a bit of SPICE to a story).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all about the STRUGGLE. ... the inner CONFLICT ...

Should I or Shouldn't I? ... do I even still have the ability to choose?

Am I really who I think I am? ... am I still who I used to be? ... was I EVER who I thought I was?

Am I strong enough to handle this? ... can I cope?

Do I have the strength of will to resist? ... should anyone still trust me? ... can I even trust MYSELF?

That is what makes the "Scary Story" incarnations of the Werewolf (the ones I grew up knowing) of greatest interest to me ... THAT emotion ... THAT fear. What am I now, and what will I do when my emotions and my instincts tell me that I WANT to do something my other sense tells me I should not do? I AM the beast ... what will I do when "I" hunger (knowing how GOOD it feels to Feed) ... when "I" am overcome by rage (knowing the THRILL and the PLEASURE that goes along with unleashing my Fury) ... when that day comes that I just don't want to care anymore and wish I could just let-go, and realize that I CAN, even though I know I shouldn't ... what will I do?

Now, adding on top of all of that stress ... presenting Werewolves with elements that are,in many ways, appealing (or perhaps more accurately, "Seductive") such as enhanced strength, stamina, a physical form that is desirable (not hideous and grotesque, but fantastic in all ways that a real Wolf is), and the overall feeling of POWER that goes along with it ...

... that just makes it even better. The more reasons a person has to WANT to become their "Other Self", the more Temptation there is, which makes the mental and emotional conflicts and tension just that much more JUICY in a well told story. ... especially in those moments when someone is faced with an opportunity to do something very, very bad, that would feel very, very good to do ... might benefit them in a Stalin-esque "No person, no problem" kind of way ... and would boost their ego and sense of self worth to boot. There is something seductive and alluring about having the world be afraid of you, rather than being afraid of the world.

At the same time, it makes things even more emotionally conflicting when there are more reasons NOT to want to experience their change from one state of being to another that counterbalance the desirables.

Transformations that are consistently, substantially painful for one. You get the power ... but you have to go though hell every time to get it.

Alterations to ones state of mind would be another. When you are Human, you think and feel Human ... but when you're the Wolf, you are a WOLF. Wolves brains work differently than humans ... instincts, reflexes, impulses ... even if you remember who you are, and still know everything you know, when those thoughts and feelings and memories and ideas are being processed through the mind, and seen through the eyes of a WOLF ... are your priorities still the same? When the petty, human concerns that normally consume you no longer feel like they matter any more, and the things that normally terrify you don't feel scary any more, how will that affect the decisions you make and the actions you take when in the body and mind of a WOLF? You know that you feel and act like a totally different person/animal when transformed, even though you are still technically YOU ... but a different version of You.

Concerns of such things would not only give one reason to think twice before trying to willfully INDUCE a transformation ... but it adds a much needed (IMHO) element of Drama and Climax to the pending approach of an Unavoidable, Involuntary Transformation (usually during the Full Moon). Very often, the emotions one feels in ANTICIPATION of a pending event are far stronger than what they feel when said event actually occurs. ... and a good bit of anticipatory tension, in terms of adding entertainment and emotional relevance and empathy to a story and character, I find to be absolutely "Delicious". Getting sucked into a good story and living through moments like that along side the character, feeling their pain, is the kind of thing that can really get ones heart pumping. It's an emotional "HIGH", when done well.

It's not all about the person who is the Werewolf either. When THIS is how a Werewolf ticks, then it is a scenario where knowing all of this could be lurking under the skin of any normal looking person you see becomes a very unnerving concept. Also, it gives someone who knows someone else is a Werewolf reason to second guess how much they trust that person. Sure, their friend swears they will behave themselves NOW ... but will they still feel the same way after the "Change"? ... or will their new wilder mindset make them think that maybe roughing that guy (or THEM) up a bit is not so unreasonable or unwise any more, and trespassing in their perceived 'Territory' and/or disrespecting and standing up against their martial ranking (breaking Feral etiquette, so to speak ... not cowering when snarled at ... giving too much eye contact, which is perceived as a "Challenge", etc.) is no longer an offense that is so easily forgiven?

So many others here I see are spending a lot of time describing the aesthetic physical details and technicalities of the exact strengths and weaknesses that the Werewolves transformed state(s) provide. I have plenty of ideas and preferences about those things too, but for me, my "Ideal Werewolf" is less a concern of how it looks, and what it can do ... and more about what being a Werewolf does to the PERSON. ... Mentally and Emotionally ...

How does being a Werewolf change WHO you are? ... not WHAT you are ...

THAT is what I care about the most.

[Should I make a separate post describing my preferences on the fine details of the PHYSICAL technicalities of a Werewolf's body when transformed ... appearance, size, shape, abilities, strengths/weaknesses, number of achievable forms, when/how/why's of transformation, etc. ?]
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

I've thought about this a lot. I'd say my perfect werewolf is a "bipedal" or "anthropomorphic" (what everyone seems to call a "gestalt" form around here; I had never heard that term used previously) wolf that is mostly realistic, with some personal preferences and elements of werewolf lore applied.

Human Physiology
As far as the human afflicted with lycanthropy, my original character Versa basically sums that up. I made a character sheet describing her physical quirks (like I do for all my OCs, actually, but hers was the most fun, haha).

As you can see if you check out the sheet, I prefer werewolves (as in the the human afflicted) to be somewhat representative of their other wolf-self, male OR female. Versa has the common aspects like increased muscle mass (if even overly so for a girl), pointed ears and canine teeth, well-honed senses of sight, smell, and hearing, nails and hair that grow very quickly, being allergic to silver, and a fast metabolism. I also like to, for some reason, associate werewolf-humans with having a widow's peak. If I would ever design another werewolf, I'd make sure they had one. :P Traditional signs like having a middle and index finger of the same length, or having a unibrow, I don't really apply just because I don't think they're very noticeable (except the unibrow - I just don't like 'em, haha). Their behaviors would also reflect a bit of their lupine side - i.e. aggressive, dominant personality, have an appetite for meat, occasionally growl, very physically-oriented, close to nature, etc.

To sum it up, I prefer werewolves to look and act somewhat... different than "just" humans, even if their features don't directly point to "OMG, WEREWOLF!" As long as they're distinctive.

Transformations
I tend to stick to the "three days of the full moon only" rule, but more and more I've considered changing that to "transform whenever the moon is out, or whenever you get emotionally strung out/agitated." Though I like the idea of narrowing the transformation window down to three days because it enhances that sense of the human having to wait all month to finally release all their anger, letting it bottle up inside in order to get the change to wolf out and have that potent strength and freedom.

Only the first transformation would be REALLY painful. All the rest would be mildly discomforting. I would also imagine that the werewolf would feel a distinct mixture of pain and pleasure (in the best way. Euphoria is a darn cool thing if you ask me). A transformation should take about 6-7 minutes, I guess. Eventually the human consciousness fades away and realizes what they have become.

Werewolf Physiology
Very very muscular, at least seven or eight feet tall, and fully capable of terrifying/killing/smothering/eating anything that moves. (The conservation of mass does not apply!) Regular fur is fine. I know some people mentioned how human hair color effects fur color - I don't have a preference. Like Versa for example, if you clicked the link above, has dark brown hair with green eyes, but in her werewolf form has dark bluish-gray fur with green-yellow eyes, lacking pupils. To me it doesn't matter, though I don't know how the fur would sort itself out (as in what determines it). Completely random. It should just be a wolf on two legs, essentially, with digitigrade legs?/paws? You know what I mean, I hope. :wink: Thick padding on the feet and palms, with inch-long black claws.Tails are good, too, though some people depict weres without them.

A werewolf should savor the strength it has, as if leaving a weak human shell behind. I hate when I find werewolves that are just, "like, omg, I'm a werewolf, what do I do?" YOU KILL THINGS BECAUSE YOU'RE WAY MORE POWERFUL NOW. That's why I like muscular werewolves - that represents a physical strength only obtainable in the wolf form. Puny werewolves are not allowed, haha. To me, this affliction can be both a curse and a blessing. I've always loved the werewolf that embraces their strength (as a blessing) and uses it brutally. It's the theme of overcoming your human limitations and transcending to something wondrous through physical power that excites me the most. :evil:

Silver
Silver only affects them if they are shot with a silver bullet, but can have a silver allergy that causes minor things like head/stomachaches, not death.

The Affliction
I'm okay with passing it along via bites/scratches/sex/blood transfusions. My own personal werewolf character is one due to an ancient Latin curse - in her bloodline, only the females contract lycanthropy. When and if they become pregnant (and they are very fertile) genetics fates them with giving birth to another female automatically, who is also a werewolf. It's a vicious circle.

Communication
Human and gestalt forms only. They can't speak or form words in their gestalt form, but utter typical wolf sounds like howling, growling, snarling, and exhibit otherwise lupine body language and behavior.

When are they of age to transform?
I've always settled on around puberty as a good age, usually about age 11-15 years, but having the werewolf exhibit those "lupine" signs as a human from birth (growling, physical traits, etc.) It kind of makes sense since that is when the body undergoes a transformation in its own right and bombards the sufferer with all sorts of hormones. Emotions run high anyway, so I think it fits quite well. And gosh, I don't want to imagine a kid werewolf - talk about the terrible twos! ??

Healing, Scars, and Reverting to Human Form
Werewolves should be much more durable than a regular wolf - incredible strength, speed, and endurance. If the werewolf is injured in its gestalt form, I think the scars should carry over to the corresponding place on the human. I think it lends a nice touch to an otherwise "human" person, though that could raise a lot of questions... eh, I'm still kind of undecided on this one. All I know is that I wrote a short story called "The Keyholder" involving Versa (in human form, as seen above in the character sheet link, still using her as a physical example), and my theory worked nicely:
Versa was standing there silently, dripping water and blood on the tile floor. She looked like she had just been caught in the climax of the storm. Water ran in streams down her face, which made it hard for me to tell if she was crying. I doubted it; she never did. Her jeans had blotches of freshly wet mud on them, and the tight black shirt she had on was housing some tiny rips in the fabric, especially around her shoulders and sides.
A series of deep red gashes ran across her arm. From what I could tell, they had penetrated all the way through her muscle. Somehow she wasn't nursing the wound at all. Her arms simply hung down at her sides as she stared at me, not saying a word. A few similarly colored flecks of blood stippled her cheek, too, and at that moment I knew what had happened.
She had attacked something, and it had attacked back.
^I wrote about Versa's mother, who I decided was killed by a hunter, in an RP once. For a crazy reason relevant to the RP, she was brought back to life briefly and retained the gunshot wound that killed her in the form of a scar. If the werewolf dies in that form, they return to human form to simply keep the lycanthropy elusive. Don't ask me how it's done, though.

I think that's it for now... *keels over*
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!