Beards?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Malignant-Librarian
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Howlin' at the Full Moon!

Re: Beards?

Post by Malignant-Librarian »

Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Haha, that's awesome. :lol:
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Prolific Procrastinator

Post by Vagrant »

Well now I simply can't stop laughing. That's wonderful, Jingles. And I can't help but notice that Santa has gotten a bow in his beard, perhaps that's what he's miffed about?

As for the topic, I can't say that human facial hair would convert over to my ideal Werewolves, but I do appreciate the concept. I once saw a very Werewolf-like anthro Wolf that had a goatee, and that almost converted me on the sot. Almost. So my particular stance would be to have fur discolouration where the facial hair was.
Irish Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sneezy
Mood: Meh...
Location: If I told you...well let's just say it wouldn't be good

Post by Irish Wolf »

I'm kinda partial to how the fur works in the Twilight Saga. The longer the hair is the longer and thicker the fur is. So if that would be the case if they had a beard then the "mane" would be longer and fluffier. But they aren't even werewolves so that entire thing is extremely debatable.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

As mentioned before, I'm partial to the concept that the process of becoming a werewolf changes a person in many ways. A genetic-disposition for short fur-like hair being one of them
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Funny, my own personal werewolf characteralways had a goatee.

And mutton chops on a werewolf just sounds damn neat.
:o
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Gads, almost sold on Werewolf hair again!

If I'm not careful, I'm going to end up converted! That's a really fun character though outward, I have to say.
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf Wannabe
Mood: Ruthless

Post by lycanthropeful »

Vagrant wrote:Gads, almost sold on Werewolf hair again!

If I'm not careful, I'm going to end up converted!
Sold yet? Her hair just turns green. I'm sure if I had a male werewolf character who had facial hair, he'd keep it as well.

I just think having beards/facial hair/real hair adds a bit of personality to a werewolf character. I mean, seriously, sometimes it's hard to distinguish one were from another, considering all that usually changes is eye/fur color, and body type if it is drastic enough to be able to set one were apart from the next, so keeping the hair helps. And plus, if when you transform you grow fur anyway, what's so bad about keeping (or even growing more) hair?

I like werewolves when they still have a liiiiiitle bit of "humanity" to them. Hair helps with that. It's like the old Reese's Cereal commercials. "You got peanut butter in my chocolate!" "No, you got chocolate in my peanut butter!"

"You got human in my werewolf!" "No, you got werewolf in my human!"
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Art commissions are currently OPEN! Click HERE!
Vengeance, my werewolf novel: ON SALE NOW!
Vagrant
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vagrant »

Well... you do have a number of good points, and it really does add to your character.

Bah, how can I stand up to the strength of such convictions when my own are so wrought with doubt anyway? I concede that you are right, and it does make the Werewolf look more interesting. I certainly liked the hair on your Werewolf, and I liked it on outward's too.

It's just something I suppose I'd never really sat and considered, because I'd never thought of hair on my character, the insane markings were always enough. I do agree though, it can make them look better, and add individuality to the Were.

So... hirsuit weres win out! I'm sold. :P
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Individuality and characterization is the sole reason why I draw my werewolf characters with hair, facial hair, and even eye brows. In fact, I designed Ressi's werewolf form, and his hair, years before I ever thought of drawing his human form.

(And Versa's green hair is sooo kick arse!)
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycanthropeful »

outwarddoodles wrote:Individuality and characterization is the sole reason why I draw my werewolf characters with hair, facial hair, and even eye brows. In fact, I designed Ressi's werewolf form, and his hair, years before I ever thought of drawing his human form.

(And Versa's green hair is sooo kick arse!)
Thank you - I am just as fond of Ressi's goatee! :)

Now that I think about, I don't see why most werewolves DON'T have extraneous hair. Like I said, it's not like they don't grow fur to begin with. I suppose having hair on your head is a solely human trait, so eliminating it lends to a more completely lupine demeanor and appearance.
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Well, that really depends on your interpretation of a werewolf.

"Tribal Wulfs," anthros, fantasy-oriented weres, and wolves more along the lines of say, what Goldie creates, tend to eliminate human hair, eye brows, and eyes for a more lupine look. And it makes a lot of sense, because these weres are equivilent to wolves with thumbs.

Whereas our werewolves, who live under the guise of human roles, are more similar to humans with fur than wolves with thumbs. So we keep a lot of the distinguishing human characteristics.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

I lean more towards having a werewolf without human hair to make them more wolf-like as Outward was saying, but it really doesn't look too bad with... I guess it just depends on the situation. With distinguishing characteristics like hair and whatnot, it would be a lot riskier to transform in front of people than it already is; you'd be a lot easier to identify. I also agree that it would be hard to tell different wolves apart, but as a wolf you could just smell who everyone is.

Anyway, that was my $.02

(I liked that TF image, lycanthropeful!)
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
lycanthropeful
Legendary
Legendary

Post by lycanthropeful »

^ I never thought about that, Celestialwolf! Good point. I know in my OC's case, if she's ever in an area where she could be seen by people she knows (which is VERY rare, seeing as she doesn't want her lycanthropy revealed), she takes off her choker that she wears and stuff, but that's it. At least her hair changes colors. Dunno how the affliction does that, but hey, it's fiction. :P
SaxGirl1010 @ deviantART
Moonraiser
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Waiting for Freeborn...
Additional Details: Waiting for Freeborn. I don't know if I can take not knowing what will become of this movie much longer. I wish I had some sort of information...
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonraiser »

No beard. Period. I agree with getting rid of it. I think it would look kind of funny if they did have one. That's it. I don't think I have anything else to say......nope.

M