How rare are werewolves?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Hah, you only deflected one!
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:Hah, you only deflected one!
You were saying?

:jester:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You know what. Werewolves should be as rare as thier however number of Figarous in the world. :dizzy:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Selena
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Alpha female looking for a mate

Post by Selena »

I can tell you boys are worried about your "boys" when the underwear rips away.......lol oh the images and what a bad girl can do with them.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Selena wrote:I can tell you boys are worried about your "boys" when the underwear rips away.......lol oh the images and what a bad girl can do with them.
The underwear won't "rip away." It gets stretched out. Besides, I don't think that area of the body (hips/waist) would get that much larger compared to the chest/shoulders.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

anyway, have we decided on whether werewolves are bourn, bitten, or both?
if there are bourn werewolves, i'd say that the werewolf gene is recessive. just because that allows for greater rarity of werewolves. here are a few possible outcome charts:
W= non-werewolf gene
w= werewolf gene
werewolf parent + werewolf parent
w w
w|ww|ww|
w|ww|ww| all children are werewolves :) :) :) :)

werewolf parent + parent with recessive werewolf gene
W w
w|wW|ww|
w|wW|ww| half children are werewolves, half are not :) :)

parent with recessive werewolf gene + parent with recessive werewolf gene
W w
W|WW|Ww|
w|Ww |ww| 1/4 children are werewolves, 3/4 are not :)

werewolf parent + non-werewolf parent
W W
w|Ww|Ww|
w|Ww|Ww| no children are werewolves

parent with recessive werewolf gene + non-werewolf parent
W W
W|WW|WW|
w|Ww |Ww| no children are werewolves

so, for every werewolf or part-werewolf coupling, there is a 7:20 against chance that the child will be a werewolf as well. so, i think that werewolves would be pretty rare.
if it has been decided that all werewolves are bitten and not bourn, then forget everything i just said.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

You do realize that all that means absolutely nothing to me right? It's just gibberish.

Besides...it doesn't look like the charts in my Biology book. :P
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

celtwolf wrote:anyway, have we decided on whether werewolves are bourn, bitten, or both?
if there are bourn werewolves, i'd say that the werewolf gene is recessive. just because that allows for greater rarity of werewolves. here are a few possible outcome charts

I disagree. Personally I fell lycanthropy is an all or nothing thing. You either are one, or you aren't. There aren't any half measures.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

Reilune wrote:You do realize that all that means absolutely nothing to me right? It's just gibberish.

i know it looks little like the charts in your biology textbook, but i had to improvise with what i had! if you want me to fully explain this to you, ask me to, ok?
Lupin wrote:I disagree. Personally I fell lycanthropy is an all or nothing thing. You either are one, or you aren't. There aren't any half measures.
true, i know. but in the case of a recessive gene, if the dominant gene is present, few or none of the recessive traits are active. so people with the recessive gene but also with the dominant gene will have none of the werewolf characteristics. thus, they will NOT be werewolves in any sense of the word. they WILL, however, be capable of having werewolf children.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

celtwolf wrote:
Reilune wrote:You do realize that all that means absolutely nothing to me right? It's just gibberish.

i know it looks little like the charts in your biology textbook, but i had to improvise with what i had! if you want me to fully explain this to you, ask me to, ok?
Don't bother. I won't remember it anyhow.
Selena
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Selena »

Sorry the underwear thing is funny because i don't find the need for such things. The lovely chart is interesting but positivly boring and since I'm new to the whole web group thingy I find everything interesting. So how does this work and werewolves prefer rural areas, more area to rome/run.
Selena
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Selena »

To throw you a curve ball in your chart now that I've studied it: I, a were, had a child by a non-were and my son is a were.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

:roll: Not another one...
Last edited by Veruth on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

celtwolf wrote:anyway, have we decided on whether werewolves are bourn, bitten, or both?
if there are bourn werewolves, i'd say that the werewolf gene is recessive. just because that allows for greater rarity of werewolves. here are a few possible outcome charts:
W= non-werewolf gene
w= werewolf gene
werewolf parent + werewolf parent
w w
w|ww|ww|
w|ww|ww| all children are werewolves :) :) :) :)

werewolf parent + parent with recessive werewolf gene
W w
w|wW|ww|
w|wW|ww| half children are werewolves, half are not :) :)

parent with recessive werewolf gene + parent with recessive werewolf gene
W w
W|WW|Ww|
w|Ww |ww| 1/4 children are werewolves, 3/4 are not :)

werewolf parent + non-werewolf parent
W W
w|Ww|Ww|
w|Ww|Ww| no children are werewolves

parent with recessive werewolf gene + non-werewolf parent
W W
W|WW|WW|
w|Ww |Ww| no children are werewolves

so, for every werewolf or part-werewolf coupling, there is a 7:20 against chance that the child will be a werewolf as well. so, i think that werewolves would be pretty rare.
if it has been decided that all werewolves are bitten and not bourn, then forget everything i just said.
Ah, Punnet sqaures. One of the only things I remember from Biology 1
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

THAT'S THE NAME!!!!!!
i couldn't remember until you said it, but NOW I REMEMBER!!!
halleluja!!!
and what's more is YOU UNDERSTAND IT!!!
i love you SO much right now shaun!

Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

It is a little hard to see what you're talking about if you don't recognize the squares since you had to use text. I'll try to get a better version made if nobody else beats me to it.

Well, I'll try to explain for anyone that dosen't know, but I'm sure someone else can do it better.
There are dominant and recessive genes, the combination of these genes is known as a genotype. The outward expression of this combination is called the phenotype. Dominant genes are... well dominant and will appear in an individual's phenotype if present. Recessive genes are the "weaker" of the two and will only appear in the phenotype if there is no dominant gene present.
So if W=The non-lycanthrope gene (dominant)
and w= the lycanthropy gene (recessive)
then someone with a genotype of Ww is not a werewolf, but would be a "carrier" because the non-werewolf trait is dominant. Someone with a phenotype of ww is a werewolf becasue they have both recessive genes and therefore the individual is a werewolf.

The chart shows the probability of having lycanthropic children for different combinations of genes. Once I get back to my computer with photoshop, I'll make something to explain it a little better. (I can't use ms paint at all)

Or someone who is a better teacher could explain the whole thing.
Nishah
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Infuriae

Post by Nishah »

Since biology class is +/- 8 years in the past, my memory is a bit hazy, but I vaguely recall there being other factors in this gene-combining...
factiors that would lead to even larger rarity...
(based on world population, 7/20 is still a massive amount of weres...)

*digging in brain* something about certain genes having to be situated on this or that distance in the overall gene chart or located on the same whatnotmajigg to come into play at all...

I hope this is making sense to someone :lol: 'cause i threw all that stuff out when I graduated...
Sister of Wolves, seek your compagnions
You hear the call of the wild,
I summon your instincts
- Hagalaz Runedance/wake skadi
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shaun wrote:It is a little hard to see what you're talking about if you don't recognize the squares since you had to use text. I'll try to get a better version made if nobody else beats me to it.
All it needs is a bit more monospaced font:

Code: Select all

w  w
w|ww|ww|
w|ww|ww| 

W  w
w|wW|ww|
w|wW|ww|

W  w
W|WW|Ww|
w|Ww|ww|

W  W
w|Ww|Ww|
w|Ww|Ww| 

W  W
W|WW|WW|
w|Ww|Ww|

Edit: Green is such a horrid color for that box.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Nishah wrote:Since biology class is +/- 8 years in the past, my memory is a bit hazy, but I vaguely recall there being other factors in this gene-combining...
factiors that would lead to even larger rarity...
(based on world population, 7/20 is still a massive amount of weres...)

*digging in brain* something about certain genes having to be situated on this or that distance in the overall gene chart or located on the same whatnotmajigg to come into play at all...

I hope this is making sense to someone :lol: 'cause i threw all that stuff out when I graduated...

Well, Haven't had any classes beyond Bio 1 so I've got no idea how any of that works. I'm guessing the chart you're talking about is that big chromosome thingy, but other than that I'm lost.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Nishah wrote: *digging in brain* something about certain genes having to be situated on this or that distance in the overall gene chart or located on the same whatnotmajigg to come into play at all...
I can vaguely remember this fact, but I'm also not ready to hold a lecture on it ... My biologytime isn't that far ago than yours, Nishah, but it will take a little while to bring all the details back into my mind ...

I can remember that some informations on genes are somehow connected to each other and therefore there are some combinations that wouldn't appear, because it would be impossible that they come together in the right way ...

Uffa, these gene-stuff is really hard to understand. I'll look up my schoolnotes when I'm back home in Cologne. This will need some time, have a lot of homework and a lecture in preparing :cry: But after this I will try to recall all information I can get about it ... :D
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

and just so we're clear, 7/20 is not the total probability of werewolves in human society. it's the probability of werewolf births when one of the people has the recessive werewolf gene. there are obviously going to be many more full dominant gene humans than thosewith the recessive gene. but i just don't have a clue as to how to calculate that ratio.

Selena
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Selena »

Shaun.....what do u mean not another one? if you mean me I'll prove it.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: How rare are werewolves?

Post by Volkodlak »

Darth Canis wrote:Are their numerous packs all over the world? How many members would make up a pack? Are there packs at all? How many do you think there are? Have at it! :shift:
Well there would be numerous packs but also lone wolfs, but in my opinion numbers would be quite low we are talking 700-1000 werewolfs in world, but for packs size i would say in avarage 5-7 members.
Drachona
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Re: How rare are werewolves?

Post by Drachona »

For personal reasons, I prefer to ask the question "How many werewolves are there?" Regardless of phrasing, it is still a good question. There are packs, I know that, although I'm not familiar with any wild packs. There may be a few that exist, but with the spread of modernization, avoiding human society while still staying in livable habitats is difficult. There was even a time when I accidentally stumbled into a large pack's territory in Lima, Peru. I had no idea, but I heard about it later when someone was asking around if anyone had been in Lima lately. Apparently, I was supposed to announce (?) my presence so as not to be rude. I had no idea what formal behavior was expected in Peru, since we're pretty laid-back in the U.S. However, the point is that there are werewolves out there. I don't know how long I've argued on different websites about why exposure is important because we lack connectivity. The answer of exactly, or even roughly, how many werewolves there are cannot be answered as long as we remain in hiding. The internet is our greatest resource for connectivity, but we have to sift through so many liars and people who want to be "turned" that it's ridiculous and tedious. I truly believe that humans would, in general be anywhere from indifferent to some level of welcoming if we planned out exposure in a smart enough way. Remaining in hiding is only encouraging internal conflict and, as a result, wide-spread psychological and social problems. In addition, our history and our culture is fading. Whatever fragments are left are drops in an ocean of misconceptions and lies. I don't want to drone on and on about this like I've done elsewhere, but it's a legitimate issue that we're not dealing with. Our kind has become defined not by our persistence, our strength, or our intelligence, but instead by our stupidity and our cowardice.