Satanic...?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Evil or not?

Yes
2%
No
10%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
79%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
10%

Total votes: 61

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Satanic...?

Post by Morkulv »

This topic is not meant to scare any Christians on this forum. :P

As some of you might know, the werewolf-legend holds some Satanic influences in it. In a lot of story's or images related to werewolves you often find pentagrams, or other things related to Satanic rituals, or stuff like that.

So my question is: should a werewolf really somehow be "evil"? Or should it just be a nice petable mystic creature? Or a combination of both? Or what?

:?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

i voted other.

There's just gonna be a lot of differing werewolves, "evil" or no.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I voted yes because I think a werewolf should be somehow "evil", but not allways in a Satanic kind of way. :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Like humans, they should be both evil and non evil haha! Some nice werewolves, who just want to live, and others who crave power. Especially in their transformed state; power rush. But wolves as animals are not evil. If anything, the human side becomes evil.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Morkulv wrote:I voted yes because I think a werewolf should be somehow "evil", but not allways in a Satanic kind of way. :D
by going around and flinging racist remarks at humans?

that's a bit cliched, don't you think?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

What do you mean?
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Morkulv wrote:What do you mean?
"humans are frail; they live off greed and lust as cowardly sheep in wolf's clothing! Join the pack!"

"You can't even see me without those confounded doodads!"

"Filthy humans."

those 3 quotes, in different interpretations, are the cliche i found in no less than 40 WW stories i found online.

but hey, don't look at me, i'm just another perfectionist...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Were did I say that? :? I'm not anti-human, I'm a humanist for Christ sake. I think you just got my post totally wrong.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I've misread your post and jumped the gun.

good. i apologise.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I voted on Depends on the werewolf because it should really depend if the person is evil or not.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, I voted 'other'. Some werewolves (probably most) won't be evil, but a handful of them probably will, because a handful of humans are.

But, of those that are evil, there will be varying types of evil.

-There will be your standard, devil-worshipping, voodoo-using, evil spell casting werewolves. The popular name for such people is Satanists, but I believe the correct term is actually Luciferian.

-There will be werewolves with a philosophy like that of Nitzche (or however that name is spelled)

-There will be looking-out-for-number-one type werewolves, who live their lives and do what they want with no regard for others. They won't go out of their way to harm you for no reason, but if they're hankering for human, and you happen to be nearby, they'd hunt you without a second though.

So...that's why I voted 'other'. Though I believe some werewolves will be evil, I don't necessarily think they would be Satanic.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I said it depends on the werewolf. Some people will naturally presume that all werewolves are Satanic, and for every presumption, there are individuals that feel they must fit the description. A Satanist may want to be infected with lycanthropy to better fit their choice of religion, likewise a werewolf may convert to Satanism because the Satanists that converted them are the only ones that accept them. It may also be possible for a werewolf to naturally declare themselves Satanic by a simple confusion of principles -- they grew up thinking werewolves were Satanic, and as soon as they become one, they automatically assume that they will be compelled to do evil every night of the full moon. In other words, Satanic via the power of suggestion.

The Pentacle on the Hand thing, however, I think is just an expression at best. If you look at a pawprint, for example, you can see five points in between the four pads, four diagonal and one straight up forming a star shape. If there's any truth to the pentacle, I think it's just that -- the lines of fur in between the pads of a paw.

So anything naturally Satanic about werewolves would just a coincidence. It all depends on the individual.
Hearth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hearth »

Werewolves are (like) humans. They differ a lot.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Depends on the woof. :woof:
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I would have to say it depends one the werewolf. Werewolves are just as diverse as humans so I don't see why they would be inherently good or evil... what a person chooses to do is completely up to them, and what they believe to be good or evil...
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Terastas wrote:I said it depends on the werewolf. Some people will naturally presume that all werewolves are Satanic, and for every presumption, there are individuals that feel they must fit the description. A Satanist may want to be infected with lycanthropy to better fit their choice of religion, likewise a werewolf may convert to Satanism because the Satanists that converted them are the only ones that accept them. It may also be possible for a werewolf to naturally declare themselves Satanic by a simple confusion of principles -- they grew up thinking werewolves were Satanic, and as soon as they become one, they automatically assume that they will be compelled to do evil every night of the full moon. In other words, Satanic via the power of suggestion.

So anything naturally Satanic about werewolves would just a coincidence. It all depends on the individual.
This is pretty much my view too. Even though evil werewolves are popular in fiction, few are actually depicted as satanic. Although, you might expect that any hard-core Christians that discovered the existence of werewolves would be at least a bit afraid that it was all satanic.

As to the pentagram thing, I've read that it was adopted in werewolf fiction because people of that time period (the 1940s, unless I'm mistaken) considered the pentagram to be very spooky, but didn't have any specific associations with it, and writers were following a fad of loading up horror fiction with spooky symbols and signs (this was long before the Neo-Pagans adopted the pentagram as the main symbol of their religions).

As to what the pentagram means, it historically meant several things:
1) Good health and good luck
2) A symbol of man (the upward point is a person's head, each of the other points is an arm or leg)
3) A symbol of the five elements (earth, air, fire and water are the main four, to which is often added a fifth called either "spirit" or "void").
4) According to the Wikipedia pentagram article, "Christians once commonly used the pentagram to represent the five wounds of Jesus..."
5) In Morocco, the flag has a pentagram as a symbol of the connection between God and Morocco (Morocco is an Islamic nation, they are even more strongly and religiously opposed to satanism than most Christian nations, and would never adopt a symbol if they thought it was a symbol of Satan)

This is why pentagrams (in their other guise, as "star" shapes) appear on the American flag, and why teachers give "stars" to good pupils, and why "star" shapes are still considered lucky or happy symbols.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Renorei wrote:Well, I voted 'other'. Some werewolves (probably most) won't be evil, but a handful of them probably will, because a handful of humans are.

But, of those that are evil, there will be varying types of evil.

-There will be your standard, devil-worshipping, voodoo-using, evil spell casting werewolves. The popular name for such people is Satanists, but I believe the correct term is actually Luciferian.

-There will be werewolves with a philosophy like that of Nitzche (or however that name is spelled)

-There will be looking-out-for-number-one type werewolves, who live their lives and do what they want with no regard for others. They won't go out of their way to harm you for no reason, but if they're hankering for human, and you happen to be nearby, they'd hunt you without a second though.

So...that's why I voted 'other'. Though I believe some werewolves will be evil, I don't necessarily think they would be Satanic.
Aye. "The Devil made me do it" is a piss poor excuse, regardless of what you're trying to excuse. It'll different depending on the were. No werewolf = evil. Because creature = evil, means creature = Boring. Gets Old Fast.

Creature = Driven by motives to do evil for some reason, then Creature = Interesting, better developed.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I voted "Depends on the Werewolf".

Like it or not, satanic references exist in many (but not All), of the classic werewolf legends and stories, so that connection will allways be there. Therefore, I definately think that SOME werewolves, and werewolf stories should have this origin and nature to them.

However, I don't think that Every interpretation of the 'werewolf' and every werewolf story needs to have satanic or "EVIL" predispositions. I would definately like to see more neutral Grey werewolves, whom may not have any inbred "evil" impulses, but could turn out to be horrible, evil people anyway...or not.

I don't think that All werewolves should be "Evil" by default, but I do think they should all be somewhat 'unstable' by nature.

Impulsive...aggressive...exeedingly physical...psychologically torn/divided...

All factors that could turn a normally sane and practical person into a irrational monster in short order... given the right abrasive stimulation.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

I just voted other cause I was reading a few legends of werewolves that existed back in the 15 and 1600's. That people who usually did it were out for revenge or one was just cursed from a witch of some sort and well you should have read it somewhere before and thats all I know can't really remember what else was there but it said what the enchantment was well thats what they think it was so thats it.
"lolis"
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

The werewolf-Satan connection came from the blatherings of a closed-minded, stuck-up and generally bad-attitude group of people who either didn't know any better and/or didn't care, and who had an agenda.

These people had a mindset that dictated that anything deviating from a specific and very narrow set of definitions was Satanic.

Remember that the Church decried bathing as sinful? It was considered Vanity and the declaration was an attempt at control. "Don't take pride in yourself and your health because you were born in sin and the body must be mortified and abused to the will of the soul." And this is why lifespans seldom extended beyond 30 years.

It's up to the individual. Werewolves are individuals, just like everyone else. Indeed, nobody is pure evil or pure good.
ImageImageImageImage
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Jamie wrote:
Terastas wrote:I said it depends on the werewolf. Some people will naturally presume that all werewolves are Satanic, and for every presumption, there are individuals that feel they must fit the description. A Satanist may want to be infected with lycanthropy to better fit their choice of religion, likewise a werewolf may convert to Satanism because the Satanists that converted them are the only ones that accept them. It may also be possible for a werewolf to naturally declare themselves Satanic by a simple confusion of principles -- they grew up thinking werewolves were Satanic, and as soon as they become one, they automatically assume that they will be compelled to do evil every night of the full moon. In other words, Satanic via the power of suggestion.

This is pretty much my view too. Even though evil werewolves are popular in fiction, few are actually depicted as satanic. Although, you might expect that any hard-core Christians that discovered the existence of werewolves would be at least a bit afraid that it was all satanic.

As to the pentagram thing, I've read that it was adopted in werewolf fiction because people of that time period (the 1940s, unless I'm mistaken) considered the pentagram to be very spooky, but didn't have any specific associations with it, and writers were following a fad of loading up horror fiction with spooky symbols and signs (this was long before the Neo-Pagans adopted the pentagram as the main symbol of their religions).

As to what the pentagram means, it historically meant several things:
1) Good health and good luck
2) A symbol of man (the upward point is a person's head, each of the other points is an arm or leg)
3) A symbol of the five elements (earth, air, fire and water are the main four, to which is often added a fifth called either "spirit" or "void").
4) According to the Wikipedia pentagram article, "Christians once commonly used the pentagram to represent the five wounds of Jesus..."
5) In Morocco, the flag has a pentagram as a symbol of the connection between God and Morocco (Morocco is an Islamic nation, they are even more strongly and religiously opposed to satanism than most Christian nations, and would never adopt a symbol if they thought it was a symbol of Satan)

This is why pentagrams (in their other guise, as "star" shapes) appear on the American flag, and why teachers give "stars" to good pupils, and why "star" shapes are still considered lucky or happy symbols.
You only discribed the "star"-pentagram. The inverted pentagram ('evil' pentagram, to some) also has a lot of meanings... I'll take a look to find something on this.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Almost all werewolves are described as evil :P
I think its time to se a good werewolf just this once
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

Well, an evil person before being a werewolf is just going to be an evil person with added abilities to use for his...evilness.

Although a good person may struggle with being a werewolf, overall, they're still good. So I vote Depends.
Feel the wag!
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Moonstalker wrote:Almost all werewolves are described as evil :P
I think its time to se a good werewolf just this once
'For a change' doesn't sound like a good reason to me. Werewolves aren't cute, and pettable creatures to begin with (IMO). I'm not saying that all werewolves should be evil, but when it comes to being good or evil, I'd say he should be evil. But most of the time its gonna depend on the person.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Well think about it if you lived in the 1500's and you saw your best friend turn into a wolf. What would you think? (remember medievil mindset) You'd think he'd been cursed or had cursed himself. A creature that can stand on two legs (in gestalt ), can barely speak words and everytime they do their teeth show would be pretty friken scary. I voted it depends because not all humans are evil and not all wolves are evil.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."