Are werewolves evil?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Are werewolves evil?

Post by wolfwing »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before or not but curious what others think. I'm new here...as I just found out about the movie, but it looks great and wish I had known earlier.

Is being a werewolf evil? Or must they always kill or butcher others? Something that has always bothered me about many werewolf movies and stories...is that many show the werewolf as being an evil thing. Though I've noticed that changing more and more in revent books and movies. Just curious what others think.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

The only time a werewolf becomes "evil" is when their human minds unconsciously create an illusion that they're being opressed by the so-called "iron hand" of human propaganda, or when they actually believe that "wolf instincts" are taking over the human mind when in fact, it's done only a little bit in the modification of the mind that is still an individual's, "OHNOEZ I'M DOOMED I WILL EAT MEAT FOREVAR AND FORGET WHICH PERSON I ATE *CUTCUTCUT*!!!!"

... or some other stupid hallucination. So i doubt it's because of the overused "wolf eat man, man instantly become wolf, bigger wolves, badder tempers, becomes instantly Hollypot-evil and/or savage, with big stupid as a bonus" scenario. It just wouldn't be feasible for a normal person because to be honest, a werewolf who becomes "evil" would just become like any other furry criminal like humans by choice.

That ends my opinion.
Last edited by JoshuaMadoc on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

I agree...:> It's always seemed stupid that werewolves would turn the person into a cold blooded killer. The idea I assume comes from the person being possed by a demon or such, or a evil spirit that gives them the form. While they are the werewolf they are neither wolf nor themselves, but something in the guise of the wolf.

BUt in all honesty the only times I could see a werewolf kill a person is.

1. Newly formed and like in the book Saint Peters Wolf is intoxicated by the power and feeling of superiority acts out certain feelings, though those might change over time.

2. Cornered and spooked, or frightened. In this case the act is semi deliberate...but it's the act of what any animal would do. A wild wolf would avoid killing a person unless really hungry, or frightened and cornered.

3. Someone that was evil if you can call anyone that to begin with. Becoming the werewolf didn't make them a killer...it just gave them a new form to act out their dark feelings.

To me...a werewolf wouldn't be good nor evil...it be what the person was before hand. A person that is good wouldn't become a killer, and one that was evil wouldn't become good just from being a werewolf. They might change, but it's not the form itself...that creates that. It's how the person reacts to the changes in them.

Anyone else agree?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

There are several threads like this already, so I'm not going to go into a really long response when I've already voiced my opinion in other threads.

So, here's a brief summary of my thoughts on this:
A werewolf is only as evil as he chooses to be.
guitarwizard
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by guitarwizard »

if you think about it, many different cultures around the world have different set of moral values, you know , what people eat, what they belive and what are there motives, so in all reality, it would have to depend on a couple of variables in this equation, one place of origin of the werewolf, two how connected to either human or wolf the person is, three how the parents raised the child/pup, and four would have to be his/her own motive, but all in all, based on the livelyhood of a wolf, i dont think a werewolf is naturally evil :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Back in the middle ages, people will hang you when you claimed (or when others claimed that you are) are werewolf.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

No...

Yes...

Sometimes...

The most popular version of a werewolf in this group does not instill any evil in a person that was not allready there, and does not stem from an evil source, neccesarily.

However, there are legends of werewolves that tell of a person selling their soul, or pledging aligance to the devil (master of evil) in order to become an EVIL werewolf, ensuring thier ability to murder thier enemies with thier supernaturally granted monster forms. ...sometimes requiring things like belts made from murdered humans skin and fat, (exactly three fingers wide), and other evil things like that for the ritual.

The legends of truely evil werewolves exist allready...as do myths and stories of werewolves that are not evil at all.

What it boils down to is...do you want them to be evil? If so, you are certainly free to make them that way in your own stories, etc.

If not...then no...they don't NEED to be Evil.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

If you can answer "Are people evil?", then you can answer "Are werewolves evil?"
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lupin wrote:If you can answer "Are people evil?", then you can answer "Are werewolves evil?"
Or can we? *looks at everyone suspicously* :eyebrow:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

I guss what I meant to say is, are they inheiretantly evil.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I have a simple theory I've always beleived in. If the werewolf in human form is an asshole, so is the wolven form. And vise-versa. That theory is shared by many of us apparently.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

wolfwing wrote:I guss what I meant to say is, are they inheiretantly evil.

No.

Obviously, there's no right answer to this question, since there aren't exactly any werewolves around for us to ask. So, it's whatever you think. I, personally, don't think that werewolves are inherently evil.
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

*rolls eyes* not this again.. OK

Just like humans it would depend on the person, or the wolf in this matter.. >.<

Like for example a very hostile person would make a very hostile werewolf, and so on and so forth. 8)
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I would just like to add that I believe that it is still a great and exiting plot point for one to make a story in which a curse of pure evil could take the form of a Lycanthrope in it's victim. "Evil Werwolf Curse".

If the Lycanthropy originates from such a Curse...then Yes...those werewolves are "EVIL".

If the Lycanthropy is not an evil curse, specifically designed to change a person into a soul-less killer, but stems from a different, impartial source...then, as everyone else has been saying, it would depend on if the individual chooses to be evil or not.
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

True there are many stories of curses being put on others....heck the first werewolf WAS cursed by the gods *Lycaon*SP?** though he was evil before he was cursed..:> So can't really tell if that made him evil.
Voidmaw
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Voidmaw »

'Evil' is a loaded label.

It senses to me as a justification, no matter which side of the coin one plays.

I don't think that 'evil' could ever be an intrinsic state of being, but a choice. Both internal and external perceptions would also carry much depth into this. Cultural taboos, self-interest that excludes all other beings, complete disregard either way? I can't wrap my mind around the concept. I don't believe that a being who played the evil card would survive very long in our world, and if it's not good for survival, the genes will not perpetuate. The virus would cry "Hunger!" and stealth would die with a myriad of jaws gnashing at flesh. The Rabid. Dogs with rabies aren't evil, surely.

And what of self? If there is such 'innocense' before 'evil' would such a werewolf not be the man, the wolf, the self, but a virus that requires a host? Is there thought to these evil acts, and if so, how is that a virus? If there is no thought, well, I think that would wash away all inklings of 'evil' my brain has managed to piece together. Unless the virus itself were somehow sentient, and alien to our world. I would suppose that it would have to be either a very stupid virus, or a very intelligent one.

I suppose it's getting late.
No matter how fast light travels,
it finds the darkness has always got there first,
and is waiting for it. - Terry Pratchett
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

True...if Lycanthropy is a Viral-like biological thing, then I don't see how it could truely be "EVIL". Even if it messed with a persons chemical balances in their brain and made them extremely grumpy and irratable, no matter what stimuli there was, it would ultimately come down to the person, and how they choose to act on those feelings.
(As for sentient Viri...I guess it is possible for the symbiot to have a predominantly Evil disposition.)

That is why I say only a "CURSE" could make a Werewolf defaultly evil. A curse is like a program. It removes choice from the equation and forces the intended event or action to take place, against the victims will.

...and if that action is causing physical or mental harm to others, or destruction without purpose or any intended greater benefiet...or if it is for a small personal gain, at the heavy cost of many others, who recieve none of the benefiet, but suffer all of the loss, then it is an evil action.

I think you make a very good point "Voidmaw".

There is no such thing as evil creatures or evil people...only evil actions.

So long as one has the ability to choose a good, beneficial action, or a selfish, evil action by thier own will, they are not pure good or pure evil.

Free Will creates default indiference. It is our actions that identify our orientation...and so long as free will still exists, that orientation can change at any time, and for any reason. An individual that has acted predominantly evil for all of it's life can cease to do so and behave generously at any time, so long as it has the free will to choose. The opposite is also true.

So as long as any creature has concious controll over it's own actions, it can never really be truely "Evil". ...though anyone can behave in an evil manner.
Voidmaw
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Voidmaw »

Well said.

So, in your mind, a 'Pure Evil' would be brought about by a curse(?) that overrides a persons self (thoughts, personality, etc). A true lack of choice that acts as an agent of harm against the will of others? It must be a form of possession.

"It's not her fault, she had no choice." is where my record keeps skipping. But if she had choice, she would be an individual, not an entire species, cursed crew, or infected hound. I can't see something benefiting from this evolution in our world (not in the long haul), as other beings would seek eradication. It doesn't make sense. Would evil have purpose, or no purpose at all?

Vuldari, I realize that your focus is on a curse. I'm just rambling. Why wolves though? Once one of the most widespread of predators in our world, perhaps? We could open a lot of cans. I might bother to stamp my set as rhetorical, however. Tired today. :P
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Wolves (and by obvious extention, werewolves) were seen as being evil by the various civilizations who based their infrastructure and livelihoods on raising sheep and other livestock, as herders percieved any and all potential competitors and predators of their animals to be deadly menaces that were, shall we say, hellbent on destroying them and their way of life utterly. Hence, we have seen how the demonization and destruction of wild animals, particularly predatory animals have become highly ritualized, supposedly beneficial ceremonies among virtually all European cultures, all of which were highly dependant on animal husbandry until recently.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Voidmaw
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Voidmaw »

I am aware of the dominator culture paradigm. Cultural perceptions and memes don't make a thing so, but I suppose it would give something that wished to exploit such circles, a leg up (canine ref. intended. ponder dominance, or an easy stream of urine). :wink:
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

:lol:
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Voidmaw wrote:I am aware of the dominator culture paradigm. Cultural perceptions and memes don't make a thing so, but I suppose it would give something that wished to exploit such circles, a leg up (canine ref. intended. ponder dominance, or an easy stream of urine). :wink:
"If you value the sanctity of your upholstery, you'll give me all your gold and lambs, or I'll unleash the fury of my unstoppable Bladder of Wrath upon your beloved furniture!"
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What?
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Anook wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

What?
In other words, give me all your money, and all of your pork chops, and you won't have to worry about getting out yellow stains in all of your furniture.
For now.
-Calculon
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Are Werewolves evil?

Post by RedEye »

Are Werewolves Evil?

Are Humans? :? ??

There have been many many religions and philosophies that will say either thing. Good...Evil...Situationally, Societally, Inherently...

Good is treating others the way you want to be treated...regardless of how they treat you, as long as you stay within Society's rules. Without society, there would not be good, nor would there be evil. There would only be survival-at-any-cost.

Evil is thinking you can beat the system...you can't. Go ahead, try.
that is why Society is created, for a common system, a common understanding. A common System. Even Were's have it....Protect the Pack! Keep the Secret!...(What do you mean someone blabbed to Brownrigg?) (What Movie???)

Sorry...got distracted there for a moment. Were's...as has been said before, are Human and Wolf homogenized. Both races are Moral, thus the product will be moral (I've studied Wolves for most of my Life, and yes, I consider them a Race, just like Us.) Were's will be bit rougher than Human, when it comes to basics, but Weres will reflect the nature of their Human AND their Wolfen components. The more conservative elements will dominate (Wolves are Arch-Conservatives), but, to use a common Litronym: G.I.G.O. and another W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G.. Werewolves will be just like us Good, Bad, and "What's on T.V.?"...

My take on it...anyway..... :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...