Werewolf or human?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Werewolf or human?

Post by Volkodlak »

Greetings,

It got me thinking: are werewolfs seperate kind or still humans?

In my view they are humans with extreme medical condition becouse they are virus based werewolfs, but 99% of humans still call them werewolfs, but some werewolfs like this classification becouse they like their humanity.

Whats your take on this?
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Werewolf or human?

Post by Uniform Two Six »

A good question. The werewolf blurs the distinction between human and (non-human) animal.

I'd say "para-human"
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Agreed, good question.

The sensible, level headed, humanitarian/human relations diplomat spin doctor in me says werewolves are humans that have had bad/weird things happen to them. Like having cancer, we don't adopt a new species just because cancer has invaded our body and suddenly start calling ourselves a were-melanoma, complete with entirely new life cycle unique to our "species" (gawd I hate that term for it, species. Bleh). The definition of a species is basically "Can they produce viable offspring by mating?" If werewolves can't have kids with ordinary humans, you might have a case for a new (sub/cousain?)species, but if they can have kids and they're healthy, then grow the gosh up!

The scientist in me looks to similar existing and documented phenomena, like chimeras. Generally, a werewolf may have things in common with a biological chimera, and in any case there's nothing stopping us inventing new classes of organism, which may or may not nullify the human designation of the host species.

The bottom line is, if there's no real, solid, robust distinction, then the only distinction is a social one, a form of racism you could say, in which werewolves/people point to each other and say "You're not me!".

*edit*
Uniform Two Six wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:44 amI'd say "para-human"
I'd tend to concur.

I have some other vague ideas but I don't know how to articulate them, so I'll end there.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Volkodlak wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:34 am In my view they are humans with extreme medical condition becouse they are virus based werewolfs,
That's my take on it as well. Not once has there ever been documented a species with the capacity to turn members of a different species into that of its own. It's a pretty fantastic virus, but still a virus (or at least virus-like), ergo its hosts should still be considered human.
but 99% of humans still call them werewolfs, but some werewolfs like this classification becouse they like their humanity.
*shrugs* Some people think blacks and Hispanics should be treated as a different species. Doesn't mean it's even remotely within the ballpark of possibly being correct. Just means that they have a much more narrow definition of what qualifies for "humanity" than the scientific community's definition.

Yes, a ton of people will always insist that werewolves are a different species. And if they were ever infected with lycanthropy, one or two of them might even continue to insist so.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Well if werewolfs are still considered humans then they would have human rights so we can say no secret horror labs, but if they would not be it would mean you can kiss your rights goodbye.

Even if scientists and biologist want too study a werewolf they could do it without breaking your rights, besides werewolf is more worth alive for study than dead.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Volkodlak wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am Well if werewolfs are still considered humans then they would have human rights so we can say no secret horror labs, but if they would not be it would mean you can kiss your rights goodbye.
Your faith in government experimentation programs and their respect for the sanctity of basic human rights is touching.

MK Ultra and Project ARTICHOKE are rather relevant case studies.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Uniform Two Six wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 pm
Volkodlak wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am Well if werewolfs are still considered humans then they would have human rights so we can say no secret horror labs, but if they would not be it would mean you can kiss your rights goodbye.
Your faith in government experimentation programs and their respect for the sanctity of basic human rights is touching.

MK Ultra and Project ARTICHOKE are rather relevant case studies.
Kind of reminds me of similar things with regards nuclear weapons testing. America detonated one near some inhabited island, with a clear view of the bang, and convenient test subjects by way of island residents who had little to no idea about radiation, who probably won't put up enough of a legal fight to be a problem.

That said, officially recognized rights, human or otherwise, would be a start at least. While governments will still legitimize to themselves that using our strawberry patch as a litter tray is in the national interest, the other half of the equation is how citizens treat each other. If I were a werewolf, I'd like to know I can still take you to court for discrimination and whatnot, and vice-verse, rather than me letting down your car tires at night and you selling my teeth on ebay.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 pm That said, officially recognized rights, human or otherwise, would be a start at least. While governments will still legitimize to themselves that using our strawberry patch as a litter tray is in the national interest, the other half of the equation is how citizens treat each other. If I were a werewolf, I'd like to know I can still take you to court for discrimination and whatnot, and vice-verse, rather than me letting down your car tires at night and you selling my teeth on ebay.
Well in my view you cannot easily tell someone is a werewolf so even governments will have hard time finding werewolfs that did not reveal their condition basicaly WW could work in Pentagon or White house and they would be safe, so i think government will not risk it becouse werewolfs that revealed themself would be in media spotlight and if they suddenly start disapearing people will become woried about this events secondly if government cannot tell for sure that someone is werewolf i belive they would not risk it.

Well how would werewolf be treated totaly depends on country where they live countries in EU are safest for a werewolf while USA is totaly mixed while Middle east is worst place.

How would i get you teeths at all becouse i cannot just take them by force if i want too surivive?
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Volkodlak wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 am ...so i think government will not risk it becouse werewolfs that revealed themself would be in media spotlight and if they suddenly start disapearing people will become woried about this events...
I think if werewolves existed and revealed their existence (intentionally or by accident), the public's general reaction would be one demanding government action -- either to round them up in concentration camps or shoot on sight. Fear is an extraordinary motivating factor that (more often than not) brings out the absolute worst in human nature. In 1942 we in the United States locked up hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens because they were of Japanese ancestry. Like, no sh** barbed wire and guard towers concentration camps. And now I'm hearing the same sort of "enemy amongst us" rhetoric that led to that sh** in the first place, but this time aimed at Syrian refugees clutching their last few meager belongings, exhausted, dragging their children to what they hope is a place of safety.

Werewolves (even if they didn't do a thing) would start out way scarier than that.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

^^ Still its not easy too find a werewolf you know its lot easier too find japanese,black,.. people.

Syrian refugees are terrorists or economic migrants not refugees there is a diffrence. As for human being afraid of creature that supposetly only existed in movies,books,... is normal, but it all depends how they become public if they reveal themself in natrual or positive light fear would be smaller than if they reveal in negative light.

I think we are going offtopic now
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I don't think it's possible for a werewolf to not be scary.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

^^i agree but if they are not a threat too us when changed thanks too modern media they will have more chances too be accepted if that does not work they should migrate too EU we accept everyone even terrorists
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Volkodlak wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 am
Meeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 pm That said, officially recognized rights, human or otherwise, would be a start at least. While governments will still legitimize to themselves that using our strawberry patch as a litter tray is in the national interest, the other half of the equation is how citizens treat each other. If I were a werewolf, I'd like to know I can still take you to court for discrimination and whatnot, and vice-verse, rather than me letting down your car tires at night and you selling my teeth on ebay.
Well in my view you cannot easily tell someone is a werewolf so even governments will have hard time finding werewolfs that did not reveal their condition basicaly WW could work in Pentagon or White house and they would be safe, so i think government will not risk it becouse werewolfs that revealed themself would be in media spotlight and if they suddenly start disapearing people will become woried about this events secondly if government cannot tell for sure that someone is werewolf i belive they would not risk it.

Well how would werewolf be treated totaly depends on country where they live countries in EU are safest for a werewolf while USA is totaly mixed while Middle east is worst place.

How would i get you teeths at all becouse i cannot just take them by force if i want too surivive?
Yeah, I know. Was just saying, that from a government perspective a werewolf's rights could easily be very precarious because of the government's habit of covert BS as UTS elucidated, and that a better case scenario for meaningful werewolf rights would be in the civil space. Assuming the general populace was aware. I won't get into arguments about the probable fate of werewolves who are known to the general population in different parts of the world, other than to say I do know some peoples in the world even today believe that vampires exist, and they don't take too kindly to them. So I'm well aware that superstition (among other things) would likely throw a monkey wrench in the werewolf's whole program too.

The Meeper.
WolfWitch
Custom Title: Werewolf Succubus Witch
Additional Details: Name Desdemona

Post by WolfWitch »

I'am a Werewolf/ Witch honey.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

WolfWitch wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm I'am a Werewolf/ Witch honey.
sorry wrong forum we are not real werewolfs just fans and artists
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Volkodlak wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:17 pmsorry wrong forum we are not real werewolfs just fans and artists
According to the profile, the "artist" box is ticked. Probably just a shaman roleplayer or some such looking for a hang out.

WolfWitch wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pmI'am a Werewolf/ Witch honey.
Now that you've announced yourself, an introduction is in order. Trot on over Introductions and make yourself a new thread. :wink:

Also, please be sure to read the opening post and not formulate a reply based solely on the topic's title, since the title by itself may be unintentionally misleading and not fully reflect the author's intended topic. In this case, Volkodlak is asking opinions whether werewolf kind are different from ordinary humanity, and if so by how much, or if there's truly a difference at all. He isn't asking the forum population to disclose whether they consider themselves a werewolf or human as the title may seem to imply. Thank you.

The Meeper.
MiraRoss
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by MiraRoss »

Volkodlak wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:34 am Greetings,

It got me thinking: are werewolfs seperate kind or still humans?

In my view they are humans with extreme medical condition becouse they are virus based werewolfs, but 99% of humans still call them werewolfs, but some werewolfs like this classification becouse they like their humanity.

Whats your take on this?
Firstly of course there human, there could be one right next to you and you'd never know it? And for the others who ask why there's no proof..... Why would there be? All you guys do is judge them call them all sorts of things why should they come forward, humans would just want to experiment on them and some say they'd kill them. do you think that's what they want ?
It's a virus.... Is it? Do you think they choose to be that way. It's who they are stop trying to change them and for those who don't believe I totally get it just stop criticising them, they have feelings too