Clothes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Clothes

Post by Silverclaw »

So what do you all think about werewolves and clothes?
When they transform should their clothes stay intact but just be tighter? They were tattered pants, shirts ect; change into something else like loincloths; or have nothin on but fur?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It might variate from werewolf to werewolf, but I imagine any werewolf that anticipates a shift would go to some lengths to maintain a sense of decency (Phil Donahue and his flunkies will likely throw enough crap at this flick by default). An inexperienced werewolf might neglect to wear proper clothing and become embarassed upon shifting back to human form, but beyond the occassional joke here and there, they should really go to some lengths to keep them decent.

The easiest way to keep a werewolf decent would be to have his fur long and hanging down like a loincloth in the unmentionable areas. If the rating for this movie is to be set at PG-13 or above, we could probably get away with some she-wolf upper-body exposure, but anything else should at least have some fur to cover it up.

For clothing, I can picture a werewolf doing one of three things:

1) Undressing before the shift and making sure they have a spair change of clothes at their den and safehouses.

2) Dressing light (T-shirt, shorts, sandals), so when they undress to shift, they have less to carry.

3) Wearing something that can stretch enough to survive the shift without being ripped apart (I know the idea of a werewolf running around in a poncho and dorm pants isn't that appealing, but it works, doesn't it?)

EDIT: Corrected a major typo.
Last edited by Terastas on Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

I was thinking something along the lines of whats on the main page, a werewolf in a baggy shirt and jeans, the clothes are lose enough to accomidate the extra bulk of the werewolf yet keep them decent
*When you're down... howl*
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, an experienced Werewolf probably would know better then to wear some highly constrictive clothing during a change.

Here are some examples of how I think certain clothing types would handle the strain.

Button up dress shirts, probably wouldn't split apart, however it'd lose at least a couple buttons depending on how dramatic the change is.

With the exception of T-shirts that are already a little tight on the subjects human frame, T-shirts would probably not split apart either. You may see some slight ripping near the collar. Chances are, T-shirts would wear out pretty quickly though.

I think, Jeans would get, extremely tight, and may rip a little here and there, but I cannot see them splitting into a million pieces like I sometimes see them portrayed. They might tear a little around the knee's though, that area's one of the most weakly constructed parts of jeans. It's hard to predict how a tail would fit into things though, I would guess that it'd snake down a pants leg though, that seems to the route of least resistance.

Shoes would most definitely not split apart, this would become a little painful, but chances are that the lengthening of the subject’s feet would simply push the feet out of the shoes.

No matter how well clothes survived the transformation though, chances are that they wouldn't last a full night. Simply put, most clothing won't fit too well afterward and would likely be a bit too small, so the strain on them would be fairly considerable.

Actually, I think even a feral werewolf would remove most clothing, well, remove it or simply rip it right off their body. Most clothing would simply restrict movement too much for a werewolf to move normally.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I thinl that the werewolves would not wear anything that restricts there movements. Like they wouldnt go out hunting in well intact jeans and sweaters.
Perhapes they would remove most if not all their clothing to transform. (After all, they proably dont have the money to buy new clothes everytime they tear something).
There could be thicker fur in staticic areas.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

WolvenOne wrote:Well, an experienced Werewolf probably would know better then to wear some highly constrictive clothing during a change.
*ahem* Umm... That was the result of a typo on my part. I'd meant to say an inexperienced werewolf, but apparently of all the letters I could've missed, I forgot the two that mattered. :oops:

In terms of clothing, it really depends on what kind of werewolf we're talking about. To a lot of people, the werewolf depicted on the front page would be more of an anthro than a full were. Under that kind of shift, it wouldn't matter what the werewolf was wearing, but for a more generic werewolf, clothing would have to be considered carefully:

First of all, it's not just a matter of the clothing fitting bigger muscles, but also the fact that the werewolf might grow in size or become distorted, especially in the case of the pants where, as the viewers have unanimously voted, the werewolf will grow a tail. That said, it would probably be preferred that the jeans rip, otherwise they would force the wolf's tail to either bend backwards out of the belt or bend down one of the two legs. For a stiff canine tail, either way would be painful. Furthermore, they would also keep the additional fur bunched up against the legs, which could feel like wearing two pairs of pants -- the jeans, and an additional pair of velcro tugging at their leg hairs. If they were going to wear jeans, they'd have to be the wide-leg type. That leaves the tail as the only truly obvious handicap (there may be more handicaps to discuss as the werewolf model develops.

The easiest thing I thought of to correct this would be to wear sweats or something else that could be worn backwards without being uncomfortable (jeans don't work -- believe me, I tried). They'd be worn backwards so the zipper would be in the back, that way before a transformation, they could just undo their fly and let their tail extend out of it.

I'm not sure about T-shirts, but a button-down shirt sounds ideal for a werewolf. Right before a transformation, they could undo the buttons and any additional fur or body mass would lift the shirt up instead of bulge it out and possibly tear it apart.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, I've talked so some folks I know about this, and thier opinion is that, with the exception of socks, almost any article of clothing is likely to get significantly ripped up during a transformation into a much larger creature.

As for shoes, if the heel shrinks before the length of the foot begins expanding, then there's a good chance that the shoe would simply fall off. Otherwise, the werewolf's feet are likely to rip apart the shoe's laces and escape out the top.

As for socks, well, as I said before, they'd probably survive the transformation. However, with socks on, you really can't see what's happening with the feet. Which could potentially be both a good thing and a bad thing, depending on the films budget.

Really though, most of these statements are really dependent on the assumption that the wolf-man form is significantly larger then the human one. If, the wolf-man form isn't, then these statements probably wouldn't hold true.
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

I'd say it depends on how feral the werewolf gets when he/she shifts. If they want to be all proper while in human form, they may dress in baggy sweat pants and shirt, but once they shift they may have a different idea about things (that is, if the clothing managed to survive the shapeshift) and will rip the clothes off of them. Do animals wear clothes? No, and there is a good reason why: FUR. It would be WAY uncomfortable to be fully furred and have to wear restrictive clothing, and when you are a werewolf, why would you care? Not to mention the restriction of your movements, especially if you are hunting. As for decency, not a problem. Just do what I do (and what most werewolf movies do), just cover it up with fur and make it hard to discern. Female werewolves may have breasts, but they certainly wouldn't have nipples poking out (if they are fully furred), so no biggie there. Males would likely have some sort of sheath that hides in the fur. Problem solved.

However, if you pretty much stay human inside when you shift, you may want clothes and other adornment on yourself, who knows.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

logically, there wouldn't be a need for clothes, but humans arn't always logical, infact I would say that we're some of the most illogical creatures on earth.

I would think a newbie Werewolf would insist on wearing shorts or underwear or something for awhile if male, if female, I dunno, maybe a really large tank top. Maybe later on they'd change thier minds about that, or perhapes they keep some clothes out of a sense of self expression, who knows.

The simple fact of the matter is that idea's as deeply ingrained as modesty, don't simply vanish in a moment. However, if the werewolf is feral during it's first time or two out as a werewolf, then I would imagine that it wouldn't rightly care if it's nude or not, as a feral mind tends to revolve around things like, food, sleeping, sex you know, the most basic neccesities of survival..

Anyhow, I for one think that a werewolf would look darn stylin in a pair of green camo shorts, but hey, that's just my personal taste there.
dDnotloggedin

This is the dumbest...

Post by dDnotloggedin »

Oh come on now.
No werewolf would wear clothes or suffer from embarassment....................................... for Petes sake. Even if you do catch a glance of a werewolf's crotch it'll be covered in hair, barely visible like a dogs. A werewolf wearing shorts????? You've got to be kidding here.

Werewolves are naked, they are closer to nature, they are a wild beast they won't care. Human modesty doesn't come into it.

Gee I mean look at those people who dress their pets................ common sense people please. ;)
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I think that they wouldnt wear anything at all. Like already said, a newbie werewolf may wear something at first. The fur would cover everything. IF they have to wear something, it would be loose fitting. When shifted, they are more wolfish so human modisty would not be so strong.

Oh yeah, the message boards look better now. Nice :D
Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Calypso Blue »

Thankaevewymuch, I like it better too. I'm making a whole set of icons and stuff.. hopefully lottsa different weres to choose from.

CB

Post by Guest »

Yeah I agree on some thigns here...maybe some weres can have clothing to wear after the shift...human when human were when ware...they simply strip nude...transform, hopefuly comfortably...and then put on the were clothing, underwarte to support altered groins..shorts or pants for legs, holes on both underwear and pants/shorts for tail...no shoes..dont need em if ya have paws...shirt can be lose..or depending if wolfs like to show off, somthing more showy like tanktops and binkinis? I dunno just having this idea of maybe werewolfs in modern times living mondern lives...though i dont think wolves need all that fur for modesty...I mean maybe after they shift..they have clippers...i mean having lots of fur would be very uncomfortable....and itchy at times... Hmmm a werewolf with clippers....having to shave fur enough off so that he or she can wear clothing withought irritation.. :shock:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Re: This is the dumbest...

Post by Terastas »

dDnotloggedin wrote:Oh come on now.
No werewolf would wear clothes or suffer from embarassment....................................... for Petes sake. Even if you do catch a glance of a werewolf's crotch it'll be covered in hair, barely visible like a dogs. A werewolf wearing shorts????? You've got to be kidding here.

Werewolves are naked, they are closer to nature, they are a wild beast they won't care. Human modesty doesn't come into it.

Gee I mean look at those people who dress their pets................ common sense people please. ;)
The idea was that a werewolf would wear clothes so that they won't be indecent once back in their human forms. Someone in were form could go au natural, but a human doing that would be arrested for indecent exposure.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Simply going werewolf wouldn't erase all traces of human modesty, not immedietly anyway. Deeply ingrained idea's don't simply dissappear from a persons psyche over-night.

Now, of course, this is assuming that werewolves in thier transformed state are mentally human, but with strong instinctints overlayed atop thier logical minds.

Now, if the werewolves join a pack that discourages wearing clothing, or considers it silly or pointless or whatnot, that'd probably encourage a were to go au-natural reletivly quickly. Though I imagine the first couple times the newbie werewolf would feel rather, self conscious.

Werewolves whom have a conscious logical mind though, may wear small articles of clothing as a form of self expression though. Bracelets, loose fitting shorts, heck, you may even see were's wearing loin cloths or collars.

There's a practical aspect as well, Werewolves may carry vital items such as car keys, medication, clothes, and other such things, in backpacks, fanny-packs, or whatever. Heck, assuming that there are things that even a werewolves regenration would strugle to quickly heal, I would think it'd be fairly common practice for werewolves to carry at least one first aid kit during romps through the woods.

After all, regeneration won't help much if you're bitten by a snake, and it'd probably take at least a little while for a broken leg to heal.

Psychologically speaking though, a werewolf may not feel a great need for clothing if his/her first couple of transformations were feral and the subject already spent a couple nights running around nude. I'm really not entirely sure.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Like everything else, what happens to the clothing would depend on what kind of werewolf there is in the movie. It would also depend on what the character is wearing, how much s/he expects to change, what kind of movie it is, and the weight of your grandmother's favorite piece of jewelry in grams.

If the werewolf is fully animal, barely distinguishable from a real wolf, then there would be little rippage. Underwear MIGHT go, pantyhose or stockings would tear thanks to the claws on her feet, but everything else is too sturdy, wolves too small (even the big ones are barely the mass of a man) to rip anything. It would even hinder the were for a while as they try to struggle out of it all. An experienced werewolf, as has been mentioned, would probably disrobe ahead of time. This would prevent the struggle to get out of it all once he can't work a zipper.

Of course, some films might really want the drama of ripping clothing.

If the were is anthro, then rippage is more likely. With everyone saying werewolves are so uber it'd almost be mandatory. Realistically, unless the muscle growth that comes along with the transformation is enormous, or the body grows as well as changing, then rippage is still not likely. Have you ever checked out how hard it is to rip jeans? Even T-shirts resist expansion forces to a great degree; you need SHEAR forces to rip clothing easily, and growing wouldn't provide that. So, again realistically, a were who expect to change ould either disrobe or wear baggy clothing that doesn't press uncomfortably tight around him as he transforms. But, again, the filmmakers might want rippage.

And if the movie is a horror gorefest, I can almost guarantee clothes ripping. It's just more dramatic, and the character likely wouldn't be expecting the change. Would also work if there were sexual elements to the film, watching some female burst out of her dress.

As for the weight of your grandma's jewelry, I'll leave that for you to figure out. It's obvious, really...
Ddnotloggedin

No clothes

Post by Ddnotloggedin »

Look even if its a werewolf that looks like a wolf, it will still be the at least double the size of a real wolf. larger paws, bigger claws and teeth and more muscula. Its not likely to wear jewlery because i dont think it would look right, i guess it would be okay as long as its not like Mr T covered in chains. If its all gothic and like a rocker thats bad -not good. I may be alone in this but i think a were wolf has no need for modesty. By checking what the directors said the movie is going to be like its clear an anthro werewolf in the furry mold isnt on the agenda. something anthro like the werewolf on the cover of this site may make a nice picture but a pretty dreadful movie. You need to make the werewolf a creature of pure power and violence. With a savagery even if its at heart good.
I know alot of people like anthro and you can go as far as to put them on two legs but it isnt going to be a furry werewolf dressed in clothes, going out to its local video shop and renting videos on its werewolf video card. :roll:
In some ways such as the bipedal quad arguement you make some good points but a furry wont appeal to a mass audience. :lol:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

It seems to me that this movie won't be about monstrous werewolves or wolf anthromorphs, but, rather something in between.

Real wolves arn't all muscles and slobber, so a werewolf shouldn't be either. Wolves definitly arn't human either, and this needs to be reflected.

Werewolves, in essence, are both humans and wolves. Wolves arn't monsters, but humans are, from time to time.
Wortblossom

Cool

Post by Wortblossom »

Good point there. Very good point.
Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Calypso Blue »

Yeah, that is a REALLY good point. That has been stated by the director multiple times in meetings. Werewolves are more neutral by nature, they follow more instinct than anything else. Its the HUMAN part that makes them evil or good.

CB
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

I agree as well. Though I dont think that any animal runs on just insticts alone.

Most werewolves would prefer to not wear clothing I would think. The ones that do would probably be teased by their fellow packmates :lol:

Things like earings could stay on in werewolf form. Maybe one could wear one of those collars with spikes; goth wolf! :D
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I would guess that the preference to go without clothes would be more a matter of comfort.

Assuming that werewolves are easily irritated due to being more closely intuned to thier beastial nature then humans are. Given that fur would probably make all but the loosest fitting clothing uncomfortable, I'd imagine many Were's would quickly become infuriated with clothing and discard it.

Which is not to say that you'll never see a werewolf without clothing. Sometimes even a werewolf would find some practical uses for clothing, plus self expression really is important to some people.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

It seems to me that the amount and type of clothing that the werewolf might decide to wear would depend a lot on the human from which it came. The wearing of clothing is something that is learned in the culture from which a person comes. Many remote tribesmen wear little if no clothing, and they have no fur to hide their shame.

On the other hand, clothing can be very unhandy if you are already covered with fur. One big disadvantage is that it would definitely diminish the insulative properties of the fur, probably against the logic of a new werewolf. I too agree that only new werewolves would be likely to wear clothing and would soon discover that it is uncomfortable.
?unless the weres in question weren?t in the woods.

Perhaps the werewolf simply doesn?t get into the whole running in the woods thing. Wolves by nature are not vicious, rather opportunistic. If a werewolf shifts and already has a full stomach then he or she might be inclined to curl up in the warm blanket they just grew around themselves and sleep till morning. This might be more true of older wolves; arthritis is a reality of life in the woods. Perhaps useful as a comic relief, the guy who always misses the action because he was sleeping :)

In addition to clothing, or perhaps because of it, what scents would werewolves enjoy? Despite the opinion that wolves don?t like human smells they will scent roll in any strong scent, even perfume. Wolves do this for many reasons that werewolves would not have had a chance to learn. Therefore they may do it purely out of instinct, which could in turn be used for an interesting plot twist of a boyfriend recognizing his girlfriend or vise versa in their wolfen form because of their perfume.
SnowWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Suck it up, cupcake

Post by SnowWalker »

I always liked it when the werewolves would bust out of the clothing, so for at least a werewolfs first transformation there should be clothes rippage and removal. In my opinion there is nothing worse than a werewolf who is wearing clothing. Who wants to run around on all fours with underwear chafing them?!

And as a matter of "unmentionable bits", you could always take the route that most movies do, and have those parts disapear in the wolf form. Not that my ideas here are the last word, but I wouldn't consider werewolves sexual beings, so why would they have dangly bits of any kind? :?: :? *shrug*

well, anyway: that's just my opinion on the matter :)

~Snowy
jjm7863

Clothes

Post by jjm7863 »

I would like to see the clothes ripping.
it shows for a better movie.

plus a lot of people like when the clothes rip during a transformation.
it gains the people's interest.