Clothes

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
vuldari

Post by vuldari »

This whole topic confuses me. I never realised that what a werewolf would wear would be such a critical point. Werewolves are human most of the time. They would wear whatever people normally wear. I'd imagine that an experieced werewolf who is anticipating a change would, of coure, act accordingly and either disrobe or wear cloth that is loose in the right places. I guess I cant see what there is to debate about.
As for RIppage... realisticly, the subjects clothing probobly would hold out even if they got considerably larger. However...RIppage Rocks! It may not make sense, but it sure is cool to watch.
Coyote
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Coyote »

If it were entirely up to me, I'd wish for werewolves that didn't necessarily wear clothing, or only did it as an affectation.

It sort of seems, to me, that the issue of clothing on werewolves in a movie would have to consider whether it's okay to have nudity in the movie, and what constitutes "naughty". What is considered acceptable or appropriate in the film? What's going over the line as far as what audiences or censors will react to?

One of my pet peeves is naked monsters or werewolves or whatever, that have been turned into barbie and ken dolls. To me, that just looks totally wrong and silly, and to me draws more attention than private parts would. It looks like an affectation, a sign of insecurity on someone's part (if only as a catering to the possible insecurity of the general public).

I'd say either let the werewolves have clothes, or if they don't have them, don't make them into weird genderless critters. I wouldn't suggest private parts showing up center screen in every shot, but I wouldn't conceal or remove them either.

But please, I beg y'all... no full-frontal nudity that shows creatures with organs mysteriously missing. I dunno about anyone else, but that sorta creeps me out a bit. My suggestion here is, either show it or don't show it, but don't neuter-ize anyone.

I think it's a _little_ silly if there's a transformation scene where someone's clothes get all ripped apart, but mysteriously, they're pants manage to cover their modesty, but I think that's _far_ less silly than when someone turns into a werewolf or other monster and their genitalia magically disappear. ; )

If this is going to be a movie for mature audiences, or if it's going to have all sorts of violence or horror or scary stuff, or other things not for kids... in other words, if it's for grown-ups... well, grownups ought to be able to handle seeing a werewolf without their clothes on without getting all freaked out. Especially if the parts look like animal parts anyway. Do people edit out the private parts of horses, dogs, cats, etc. in films?

(Okay, the magic gender-changing beagle in "Cats & Dogs" comes to mind, and the fact that "Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron" looked like a gelding... but those are children's movies)

If I saw a naked werewolf running around with their private parts erased, I'd think that was as weird and as much of a suspension of disbeleif as seeing a movie scene with a naked human that was missing their genitals.

If naughty bits are seriously an issue, I'd say leave clothes on them (disappointing to some folks here, perhaps <G>) or have fun with dark lighting, contrived camera positions, motion blurs, etc. : p

Make it believable. As believable as possible. Conspicuously missing body parts create, in my mind, more need to suspend disbelief, and a film about werewolves already has that.

To me, this issue isn't about getting to see naked creatures. It's one of realism and being able to stay "inside the fantasy" that a movie creates. I hate when stuff in a movie forces me to suddenly stop and go "Oh, this is just a movie". It "breaks the fourth wall" for me.

In "Hollow Man", everyone got to see a little bit more of "Kevin's Bacon" than they probably expected, but it wasn't done in a prurient or "dirty" manner. It was just part of the film. The fact that they did a full-body model made it better for me... not because I wanted to see a naked man's organs (anyone who wants that has the internet), but because if they _weren't_ there it would have been weird.

If the werewolves are going to wear clothes:

My _personal_ feeling is that if were-critters are going to have the option to _choose_ their wardrobe, that they certainly might pick jewelry or clothing or whatever that they like. I've seen all sorts of artwork, for instance, depicting werecreatures partly clothed or wearing jewelry or ornamentation, and I think it looks kinda cool.

Several folks have made the observation that a werewolf might still be uncomfortable running around with no clothes, if they were brought up that way (most people where I live are!). And others have stated that they don't see why werewolves who have the option to dress how they like might not choose clothes or ornament they think are cool. And yeah, maybe they do want to have something handy to wear when they stop being all big and furry.

If it's just a matter of "Oh no, the werewolf just transformed, how do we preserve their modesty?" I suppose the old stand-by of having their clothes get all ripped up but retaining tatters to cover the parts that make little Billy's mom cover his eyes could work. It seems silly to me, but I'm frankly going to be more worried about whether the story and characters are good than whether someone's naked or not.

To sum up (I know I'm windy)... if they wear clothes, I could live with it. If they don't, please don't beat around the bush by chopping off any parts that aren't PG. If ya do it, do it right, and do it all the way.

It's okay to suspend disbelief... but not by the neck until dead. ; )

Coyote
Coyote
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Coyote »

And yeah... I _do_ like seeing rippage. I think it _is_ dramatic, and can really add something to a scene. : )
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I'm an animal, baby! Yeah!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Or, do full body from a distance and then just do upper torso close-ups in males and views from the back in females.

Oh, bugger. I just thought of the beginning of Austin Powers!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I'm an animal, baby! Yeah!

Post by ChaosWolf »

Scott Gardener wrote:Or, do full body from a distance and then just do upper torso close-ups in males and views from the back in females.

Oh, bugger. I just thought of the beginning of Austin Powers!
You mean where they're both naked, and various innuendo-laced objcts are moved around the scene to cover their bitses?
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Coyote wrote:And yeah... I _do_ like seeing rippage. I think it _is_ dramatic, and can really add something to a scene. : )
I wouldn't mind seeing rippage myself. Especially when one is wearing an expensive suit.

:shift: ...."Oh bugger!!! I forgot I was wearing my best suit!!!"

:D
Marcwolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Marcwolf »

Coyote brought up some VERY good points..

When I look at an animal I look at it as a whole.. If you saw a 3 legged dog running around instantly your thought processes would tag that as "Something strange" and you'd look closer.

I found the same re Underworld and Van Helsing. When I looked at the werewolve I got the 'somethng wrong' trigger and it was becausse of the 'emasulation' as such. As a whole they did not look right!!

Ok - if you are to cover them totally in fur - then have sufficient fur to cover the genitals BUT also indicate that there is somethng there... This can be with the fur being more rounded out the front etc.

Or maybe equipment that is more lupine - most people I know do not find furred dogs unsettling (Except perhaps the psychotically Prude ones)

As for clothing in general.. One - it ruins the insulation qualitys of the fur and secondly - getting the fur to lie down AFTER you have pulled your clothing on. I know the above for a fact as I do costuming as a hobby and use a lot of fur fabrics etc.

Lastly - change of size.. This relates to the

8) Marcwolf' Theory of Grouchy Monsters. 8)

Why are monsters so grouchy!!!.. Well when your jocks go from a comfortble fit to 6 sizes too small - you feel tense, irritable, and ready to rip someones head off.. Look at the Incredable Hulk - boy he MUST suffer :lol:

So - werewolves and cloths - shed them fast and be done with it!!
Walk Quietly Through This Earth
Leave Nothing But Smiles and PawPrints
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Marcwolf wrote:Coyote brought up some VERY good points..

When I look at an animal I look at it as a whole.. If you saw a 3 legged dog running around instantly your thought processes would tag that as "Something strange" and you'd look closer.

I found the same re Underworld and Van Helsing. When I looked at the werewolve I got the 'somethng wrong' trigger and it was becausse of the 'emasulation' as such. As a whole they did not look right!!

Ok - if you are to cover them totally in fur - then have sufficient fur to cover the genitals BUT also indicate that there is somethng there... This can be with the fur being more rounded out the front etc.

Or maybe equipment that is more lupine - most people I know do not find furred dogs unsettling (Except perhaps the psychotically Prude ones)

As for clothing in general.. One - it ruins the insulation qualitys of the fur and secondly - getting the fur to lie down AFTER you have pulled your clothing on. I know the above for a fact as I do costuming as a hobby and use a lot of fur fabrics etc.

Lastly - change of size.. This relates to the

8) Marcwolf' Theory of Grouchy Monsters. 8)

Why are monsters so grouchy!!!.. Well when your jocks go from a comfortble fit to 6 sizes too small - you feel tense, irritable, and ready to rip someones head off.. Look at the Incredable Hulk - boy he MUST suffer :lol:

So - werewolves and cloths - shed them fast and be done with it!!
werewolves with a high squeeky voice after shifting. Oh the humiliation. Just rip off those uncomfy pants they would.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Marcwolf wrote:8) Marcwolf' Theory of Grouchy Monsters. 8)

Nah... HIS reason for being pissed is that that's the only part of him that DOESN'T grow bigger when he becomes the Hulk - notice, no bulge.
:wink: :lol:
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ChaosWolf wrote:
Marcwolf wrote:8) Marcwolf' Theory of Grouchy Monsters. 8)

Nah... HIS reason for being pissed is that that's the only part of him that DOESN'T grow bigger when he becomes the Hulk - notice, no bulge.
:wink: :lol:
You wouldn't have a bulge, either, if you gave yourself the monster mother of all wedgies while wearing denim, too.
You'd be extra-grouchy, too...
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

I can imagine that

:shift: *Riiiiiiiiiiipppppp* ?? :shock: :cry: *random yelps and growls* :P
*When you're down... howl*
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

werewolves in clothing just seems wrong

WW: ARRR
Person: omg a werewolf!!!! hey dude nice metallica t-shirt, you got there new album?
WW: arrr....?
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

It's only very wrong if some dodo thought it would be creative for him/her to wear something that conflicts with his/her fur color when they partner up with Solid Snake.

Fashion criminals. Ugh!
punxnotdead
Legendary
Legendary

Clothes

Post by punxnotdead »

I think it depends which situation they're in. For example, if you're caught off guard and the shift begins with your clothes on, I'm sure in most cases that the clothes would rip. It really depends on how tight the clothes are and the make of the fabric. I don't think a werewolf should be clothed, but if they are, then just in tatters.
Smallville fan!
Matt
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Matt »

No clothes, please. If someone was aware of their change coming, I am sure they will strip off their clothing, and yes a first timer would not know to do so. Maybe not even on their first few TF's. On the point of nudity, it is necessary if the decision is for no clothes or for tearing out of clothing. In terms of wolf gentialia, I don't know. It would certainly be a bold move for a movie maker to address, it would certainly separate this movie from all prior WW movies. Since I believe that to be the point of this whole website...go for it. Deal with the repercussions as they come. If there was going to be some sort of WW sex in the film (which I am pretty sure there is not), it would be really pushing the envelope. I am a dice roller, but that is just me.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Clothes? Maybe...

The classic Werewolf has classic rags to wear. Now if there was an anticipation of the shift, I suppose that the person might try to undress; bad luck if you're in someplace public and you don't have a suit with a big red and gold "S" on the chest under your daywear.

Probably, the Were' would get someplace where there was no need for clothes and shift there.

Now: suppose that said Were had something to wear while wolfed-out? I'm thinking robe, Karate Gi, or similar. There is always the possibility of that, once the Werewolf realized what was up.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPP..... A true wolf doesn't have need for clothes, and although they can take it off ripping is just much cooler. :grinwiggle:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Absolute Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Absolute Wolf »

Hm...Werewolves wearing clothes!?
Don't see the point in it! Maybe to cover something,but it's useless really.
Humans have clothing and werewolves have fur, just as mentioned before.(If a werewolf has a taste for wearing clothes, thats different, I doubt it though)
Anyway...If the human has any value to the clothes that he/she wears while transforming, than he/she should take it of. If not,then tear it! They have the choice.
Though werewolves look better in their original form and not with clothes on.(But thats just my personal point of view)
:D
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Just for fun... :evil:

I'd say that if a Werewolf wanted to be seen as "other " than a bloodthirsty monster, clothing would be absolutely necessary. Un-clothed often equals "Animal" to most Smoothskin humans.
Clothing is the tribal marking of a civilized being, nudity is the mark of a savage; the way society sees it.

Among themselves, I doubt that Were's would wear clothing other than as an ornament of rank, while to the outside world, Werewolf nudity would be similar to a mask of sorts, making identification of the individual more difficult.
Note: I am assuming the "Werewolf Society model"-wherein there is more than one Werewolf in an area and they form a hidden society among the Humans they interact with by day. A Werewolf alone- "the Monster model" -could wear a Tutu and it wouldn't make any difference.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Sorry, but i actually prefer the stupid "When werewolf shifts to complete wolf form, clothes they had are gone, when they shift back they're there again" but most of my were's are magic based, so they can get away with it.
(Speaking of clothes... RedEye, check you're PMs won't you? I need to know a couple of details for the story, if you please.)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Hmmmm...that actually sounds more like a transformation than a shift.
The difference? The shift ia a physical change in the physical body. What you speak to is more like "the human fades out and the Wolf fades in" thing...which works with magical Were's, since there is less energy used.
Whatever works-go for it.
Avareis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Storyteller and Artist
Mood: Angry

Post by Avareis »

Ah yes! The wonderful cliche. I must say I to like a little rip here and there, but in truth I rather not see it because of a change. I rather see the ripping because of the result of the change. For me, and I'm sure in the matter of Freeborn and the closeness to realism, the cloths would not rip. Say fighting and tosseling that the werewolf be used to, would do that.
I'm sure a werebeast might set aside some old or durable, loose cloths so that they don't rip them to shreds. After all, they wouldn't go through a whole woredrobe every time they see a full moon, would they?
Note to a werewolf, make a hole in back for your tail. It'll make things a lot easier for your. We like the tail, don't we? I'm pretty sure I've been around enough for that.
Zombie
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ribbed For Her Pleasure

Post by Zombie »

I think it would be based on the induviduals own modesty. Some people are as comfortable walking around in their birthday suit as they are in a t-shirt and jeans. An experienced were would probably almost always strip in anticipation, while a noob might wear baggy clothes.

-Zombie
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

My thought is that basically newer weres caught unawares (get it? :Duckietoss: ) would be caught with clothes--- but do you realize HOW powerful clothes are vs-non-shearing forces? I think if they had too tough of a material on they might well die from it. Like cutting-into-flesh-and-bleeding kind of death.

On wearing clothes while in anthro form: sure, whatever floats your boat.

On wearing clothes as a wolf: a collar. Not a spiky-gothto collar, one that makes you look like a large, but harmless, dog. Like one with pink and purple dots and sunflowers. Something that says, "I'm owned by someone!" Possibly the pack leader would give you a little collar-tag so that if someone wanted to call the 'owner' they'd get him/her on the phone, who could then day, "oh, yes, I have a couple of large dogs. i've been searching for her for an hour! thanks for finding her! she's really a big puppy..."

On clothing disappear-reappear: if the werewolf is straight-up magic, or if it's a blatantly magic transformation, that's cool with me.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Beyond the practical reasons for wearing no clothing, and aside from the effects of animalistic instincts, there may be another, more symbolic reason.

If becoming a werewolf is a state of both a return to nature and escape from modernity, then there might be a certain elation to the idea of eventually desensitizing oneself to nudity: like hunting and eating raw meat, it's a daring and willfully beastlike behavior from a civilized mind. This act would be a conscious move towards freedom from the confines of human civilization and a transition to a natural state: freedom not only from clothing itself, but from the social and psychological conditioning that it represents.

Just one of the many components of the transcendence of werewolfism.