the teeth...where do they come from,where do they go to

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
White Paw

the teeth...where do they come from,where do they go to

Post by White Paw »

o.k. i checked all six pages and came across a topic i was curious about on page five. Though when reading the topic the discussion wasnt about the teeth but rather the toungue....

so.......

When a human changes in to a werewolf, and his human teeth are replaced by the fangs...do the human teeth fall out or do they undergo a trasnformation of there own....

if they fall out then replaced by fangs....then when changing back do the fangs fall and then replaced by human teeth.........

If thats the case then do weres have an endless supply of alternating sets of teeth............

or........if they under go transformation of there own......how

o.k. lets here em........

comments
concerns
bashing
topic drift.......

:D :howl:  :oo
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I think they just change themselves like the rest of the body does.

But Im glad that you planned for topic drift. :D :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

A very good question...and one I've not been able to satisfactorally answer yet.

For mystical Transformations, there is no problem. It can happen any way you like.

Biologically speaking though, that is quite the troublesome thing.

Teeth CAN grow larger over time...so If you stretched reality enough to accellerate that proccess, that could explain where the Fangs would come from...but as to what happens when they change back to humans, I just don't know.

All I know is that I don't like the idea of them loosing all of thier teeth and growing a new set every time. ...that's ALOT of discarded teeth...

One possibility is that the teeth never fully change durring a shift, but actually only change ONCE. ...making them slightly more Wolf-like, and with longer roots, but not so much that they look out of place in a human mouth. They would get a slightly freakier, fangier smile in human form, and thier teeth would merely reposition and expose thier full size when they shift, and then retract back into the gums afterward.

...maybe...

That doesn't quite sound right either.

I'm just not quite sure.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

What if the person had more canine type teeth all along?
The main differences between human teeth and canine teeth would be the length and shape of the canines and the shape of the incisors. What if the incisors stayed the same, but the canines were lupine, but just the tip of them showed when in human form. But the whole wolf tooth was there, just most of it was below the gumline. So when the person shifted, the teeth would simply float up, exposing what was hidden below the gums. That way you don't have a transformation of non-living tissue(yes, the core is alive, but not the enamel). The rest of the change can just be caused by the gums moving the teeth into different positions in an elongated muzzle.

(sorry if that was hard to follow, I had trouble getting the picture in my mind into legible sentences)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

PariahPoet wrote:What if the person had more canine type teeth all along?
The main differences between human teeth and canine teeth would be the length and shape of the canines and the shape of the incisors. What if the incisors stayed the same, but the canines were lupine, but just the tip of them showed when in human form. But the whole wolf tooth was there, just most of it was below the gumline. So when the person shifted, the teeth would simply float up, exposing what was hidden below the gums. That way you don't have a transformation of non-living tissue(yes, the core is alive, but not the enamel). The rest of the change can just be caused by the gums moving the teeth into different positions in an elongated muzzle.
Isn't that what I said?...
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I have Canidentia incipiens, a family genetic thing: I have Fangs: literally. They are about a quarter inch longer than the rest of my teeth, pointed canines,and have played hell with my relationships. Either I am accused of wearing a prosthesis, or I'm asked why I don't have them ground down and crowned.
Reason why? Two of them: One, I like them. Two, There is nothing wrong with them. I have both upper fangs and lower fangs, and they intermesh perfectly. The only problem I have with them is what I get from idiots I take to dinner--once!
If my upper and lower jaws were elongated, as in the Were' shift, they'd be quite noticeable, and look like the fangs they are. I suspect that Vuldari has the sense of it: you don't notice them (like I rarely open my mouth wide) unless you expect to see them.
Try imagining a Werewolf with bucked Beaver teeth, and you'll see what I mean...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

my teeth are some what the same just not as long but they are some what noticable on both the upper and lower...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Sorry Vuldari...I didn't see your post. You must have submitted while I was still writing mine.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Why are the teeth an different from the way the rest of the skeleton alters itself to wolf and back?
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

Wouldn't the teeth just transform with the rest of the body? ??
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

not really, teeth are a type of bone that isnt very flexiable, so it wouldnt be easy as moving some stuff around
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Ashkin-Tyr
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: On the scotch tape of reality, third door to the left.

Post by Ashkin-Tyr »

I do not like the idea of teeth falling out.

My personal opinion dictates that the teeth merely changes shape during the transformation process. When returning to human form, the teeth would return to their original shape.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

MoonKit wrote:Why are the teeth an different from the way the rest of the skeleton alters itself to wolf and back?
Tooth and bone are slightly different, but you make a valid point. The alteration of hard bone is just as unbelievable as shape changing hardened teeth.

...just one more reason why REAL transforming werewolves are not possible the way they are most popularly depicted.

But, for the sake of this argument, I guess we are trying to come up with the most believable way to bypass this problem, bending science only as much as is absolutely neccesary.
Anook wrote:Wouldn't the teeth just transform with the rest of the body?
Um...yeah...but what we are asking is, "HOW?".

..."the same way the skeleton does"... okay, and how is that?

=^.^'= ~
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

how would it do that though.....its not like its soft living tissue......

almost like bones.....over time maybe the human would develop extra bones in some areas. maybe the bones would develop some sort of extra joints or lengths of bone to accomodate difference in size and range of motion for certain joints....

maybe the teeth would in some degree do the same...... :D
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

RedEye wrote:I have Canidentia incipiens, a family genetic thing: I have Fangs: literally.
Cool. I'm sure it sucks to have people always looking at you funny... but that's still so cool. Can you post a picture?
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Wolf / Human Teeth

Post by RedWolf »

Here's a website comparing the teeth of the extinct marsupial "wolf"
to those of a placental wolf:
http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine/ ... arison.htm

While human and wolf teeth resemble each other more closely than those of marsupials, there are still obvious differences. If you look at
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/walker ... ition.html
and compare the human teeth to the wolf skull,
you'll notice that wolves have additional pairs of incisors.

Thus, while four teeth separate the "canine" teeth in humans,
wolves have six incisors between their fangs.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Well the teeth grow rapidly and reshape just as the jaw does while going werewolf. After all the whole skull is changing so why not a flow of calcium and nutrients up the roots to enable tooth growth and re-shapeing?

as for going back the teeth undergo a kind of decay where the shrink from the inside out, pulling the matter back into the body and reshape back into human teeth.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
wolfboy410
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: wrath

Re: the teeth...where do they come from,where do they go to

Post by wolfboy410 »

i think they should go threw a tranformation of there own cause it would kinda look stupid if they just fell out and it would make it esiar for a werewolf hunter to find them so ya :lol:
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Maybe Scott's "melty teeth" might work in this situation.
XIV
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Re:

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:I have Canidentia incipiens, a family genetic thing: I have Fangs: literally. They are about a quarter inch longer than the rest of my teeth, pointed canines,and have played hell with my relationships. Either I am accused of wearing a prosthesis, or I'm asked why I don't have them ground down and crowned.
Reason why? Two of them: One, I like them. Two, There is nothing wrong with them. I have both upper fangs and lower fangs, and they intermesh perfectly. The only problem I have with them is what I get from idiots I take to dinner--once!
If my upper and lower jaws were elongated, as in the Were' shift, they'd be quite noticeable, and look like the fangs they are. I suspect that Vuldari has the sense of it: you don't notice them (like I rarely open my mouth wide) unless you expect to see them.
Try imagining a Werewolf with bucked Beaver teeth, and you'll see what I mean...
Could schoolyard mockery of this have started your persecution complex? I wonder...
XIV
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Um... Dreamer... I confess to being as subtle as the proverbial half-brick in a sock, but I've never noticed Red Eye to have anything I'd call a "persecution complex". The closest to any sort of complex I've noticed him having is a "been there, done it already" complex, and I'm now finding out myself that this is just an occupational hazard of being over 40...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I tried having a persecution complex once, but everybody laughed... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Perhaps I used the wrong phrase. It's not so much a persecution complex as it being a firm beleif that humanity will kill anything different than the norm, expressed in your writings. And although history backs it up, you do seem to go a little... overboard.
XIV
archangel_athena
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: isabella

Post by archangel_athena »

the teeth are already there...when provoked by emotions and the change from a full moon...

im new so sorry if i sound like im butting in.....i dont understand how to do all this but im giving it a try.... :P ................................:?
Infinite_Path
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Time's Riverbed

Post by Infinite_Path »

Could the teeth be growing out, like a rodent's? Then you don't have to wrestle with haveing them fall out. Instead, this way, they can return to normal through wear and tear. Though, I admit, the mechanism for returning them to proper size at the proper time would be twitchy at best. :roll:

Maybe some acid saliva... and if the material comes in layers... acid soluble, with acid resistant... hmmmm...
Life is like Pi, it goes forever, yet never repeats. (and is best served with ice cream)