When the special effects just aren't very good

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

When the special effects are bad, what should the film makers do?

They can show the werewolf all they want. I can just suspend my disbelief more if the rest of the film is worth it.
24%
They should make sure the werewolf is only seen in bad lighting, or moves quickly out of view each time it appears.
15%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
12%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
7%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
20%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
22%

Total votes: 41

lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Re: When the special effects just aren't very good

Post by lycan94 »

A werewolf is a werewolf, exept when it's a man in a monkey suit.
Personaly, I agree with the guy (sorry I can't think of your name) who thought of stop motion werewolves. I mean, The Howling had a breif stop motion segment right before the last scene, and King Kong was entirly stop-motion. So. Find a guy who understands it, have him build the armatures and do the animation, give it some good editing, and hope it works.
Death is the final reminder of our own mortality.
When all my ennimies die, I hope i have the strength to spit on their graves or the money to pay someone to do it for me
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

The problem is that stop-motion is very time (money) consuming and really doesn't offer anything that CG can't do faster and to a degree, better.

In stop-motion, you shoot the scene one frame at a time; just like taking a regular photo of it. You make a little change, then re-shoot.
There are an average of thirty frames for each second of screen time. That is 1800 frames for one minute of image.

At least with CG, you can change things before they are shown; just by changing the image tied to the motion armature. Can't do that with stop-motion. You have to re-shoot everything.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Stop Motion vs CGI.

CGI can look realistic, but usually not looking like it belongs in a physical real universe (too perfect) not enough texture, ect..

Stop Motion can look like something that physically exists, but not in the same universe as the rest of the scene. Lightings off, or someother give-away that its physically not in the frame. Very few movies could come close to correcting for that (like looking like toys set in front of a tv screen pretending they are interacting with the screen). In fact B&W was really the only thing that helped merge them together, but in color they stand out alot more.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.