Relation to other monsters.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Relation to other monsters.

Post by Rhuen »

Okay basic question, if the werewolf is in a world where multiple types of monsters can be found, vampires, merfolk, Flesh-Golem, cat people, ect...

then how should the werewolf relate to these other monsters. In terms of rank, interaction, and frequency of contact.

Some tend to make werewolves the slaves or servants of others, some make them a wild beast, and some have made them want to avoid the others or only sparsly come in contact with them.

What are your views on how a werewolf would relate?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Well, for starters, the only monsters that I think should be directly associated with werewolves are others that could be classified as werekin. They would definitely not be slaves or servants, at least not naturally. I suppose it's possible that a werewolf could be subjugated to a vampire, but I think it's equally as likely that their positions could be reversed.

We've had discussions on the relationship between vampires and werewolves before, and personally, I think it's more likely that they would be enemies than allies. Apart from the fact that lycanthropy and vampirism is infectuous and both are considered monsters by humans, the two races have very little in common. That goes especially for the way they regard other humans. Vampires need a steady supply of blood, so the likely scenario is that they would view humans as below them on the food chain. Werewolves, on the other hand, don't depend on normal humans in such and can only deal with humans as much as they feel is safe. Since people tend to lump vampires, werewolves etc. together, any act which could result in their exposure, especially the act of killing a human, would be taken as an act of hostility.

However, I don't think they would be enemies either. Regardless of their personal differences, werewolves, vampires etc. all have one thing in common: they have been demonized by a sensitive, paranoid and easily mislead society that is 300 million strong. Regardless of how lycanthropes, vampires etc. feel about each other, they have enough problems just trying to stay alive and under the radar without causing problems for each other. The most likely scenario is that the various races would maintain an uneasy peace; a few troublemakers here and there that the various other races would pressure the offenders' own kind into dealing with.

Sort of like the way the Light and Dark others policed each other in Night Watch. With the exception of a few ambitious troublemakers like Zavulon hellbent on screwing up the works, most of them spent more time reminding their own kind not to do anything stupid than harassing the others.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I figure they would be of the same origin as the other were's, and POSSIBLY if there was a mystical element of the same as the other mythy creatures. However as terastas said, they owuld maintain uneasy peace more because a war would kill them all than because they love each other.
Moon Daughter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Door to Darkness

Post by Moon Daughter »

Werewolves would, as far as I know, be very competitive with other creatures. Law of the wild is that species of similar stature with similar prey will always compete with one another, so battles and wars are inevitable. Plus, one you mix in the human elements into these animalistic instincts, you'll always have to account for the human's competitive nature, which will make each strive for dominance even in a situation where dominanace isn't necessary.
"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man." -Dr. Johnson
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Moon Daughter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Door to Darkness

Post by Moon Daughter »

"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man." -Dr. Johnson
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

In a comic book: Seriously competitive on territory, also form gangs or some sort of conflict.
In a novel: Something similar
In my world: I prefer peace so I guess I'd prefer friendliness.

In short, you need conflict in a story. But in real life I'd want to be left alone.

Although I'm protective of my territory. Not vocally, people actually don't notice my discomfort with their presence (I hide things well), but deep down, I want to throw them out. That's a human instinct (no matter what anyone says about my therian wolf side, it's a human instinct). Imagine it modified ten times by being a werewolf.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Well, if we look past the classical and one-sided image of a Werewolf, we'd probably see creatures that are caring, affectionate, social, and intelligent. You can say this about both the Human and the Werewolf and the Wolf. If you look at the common positive drives and instincts, I think you'd find a being that isn't the least like the Movies version of the Werewolf.
Both Wolves and Humans are Socially Dependent by nature, (they form groups by preference as well as need) they are Heirarchical, (there's a boss, and a bunch of underlings with understood roles) they care en mass for the young, and they have specified "teachers" for these young that might well not be their parents. And both Wolves and Humans form apparently emotional bonds with their mates...lasting bonds.
To paraphrase Sam Clemens: "You could mix the Man and the Wolf, to the improvement the Man; while diminishing the Wolf."
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Border Walker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Cyborg WolvenFox

Post by Border Walker »

How would Werewolves interact with other mystical/monster-kin? Well, my view goes deep...

See, I nearly obsess over this concept, and to me, i think, if this were the real world real people, and real creatures, that somehow, a Limit/restriction would be put in place so all creatures would be able to live in some sort of peace, but, there is always the rebels in the group.

It really depends on the Werewolf itself in a way. If the werewolves are, when human, typically normal, but when beast, is a mindless beast, they they probably would be taken as slaves by other races such as Vampires or maybe elves. However, if they are normal in beast as well, then they may in fact, take slaves of their own from those will little defense. ((humans for example.)) And if they were normal, they would probably become rivals against Vampires and other creatures.

Now, my hypothetical situation:

A curse befalls a City for some reason, and citizens begin to change into creatures not thought to exist. This would include Vampires, Werewolves, Imps, Fairys, Elves, Etc. Now, because humans tend to already be in gangs, Lets just say that after the curse turns the City into what the rest of the world calls a "hellhole", gangs arise based on Species. One of Lycans, one of Vamps, one of Magic users, Etc. Lycans in this case would be Normal in both phases, and could control changing, except on full moon nights. Vamps would be almost like a Dr. Doom style gang, where they would only wish to create a place safe for them, but it involves killing off all other races. Lycans would become Slavers, and Take slaves of any humans or other helpless creatures, usually kidnapped. Vamps and Lycans would be in constant war with each other, being the largest of the groups.

This is my theory.
Current Theme Song: Have A Nice Day ~ Bon Jovi
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I think werewolves would be okay with any thing as long they don't have compete for food and don't threaten them and rub them the wrong way.

It's no secret that werewolves hate vampires i guess the vamps and weres fought over food (IE. us) and started some fueds with each other. And i imagine werewolves are the type to hold a grudge.

Zombies, i would think they would find annoying. As in they compete for food by not a real threat considering that they are dumb as posts.

Dragons i imagine that they don't like very well but at the same time have a tremendious respect for. They don't like dragons because they have to compete with them for food (IE. us and large game). But respect them for their greater power and intellect.

Mermaids, i bet they never met but i think they would be fine with them.

that's all i got for now.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Faolan Bloodtooth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Faolan Bloodtooth »

My view on werewolf relationships to other creatures:

Vampires: Tension but unspoken respect (Werewolves and Vampires are both predators within a world of cunning prey)

Zombies: An abomination (Such life thrown away and now being controlled by another :x )

Dragons: Upmost respect (The Ultimate Predator)

Fey: Suspicion/Respect (The mischievous beings can have their uses)

Cant think of anymore supernatural creatures right now, i'll get back to ya all with the rest :D

Laters
The Past Is Dead...
The Future Is Unborn...
The Moment Is Yours...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Faolan Bloodtooth wrote:My view on werewolf relationships to other creatures:

Vampires: Tension but unspoken respect (Werewolves and Vampires are both predators within a world of cunning prey)

Zombies: An abomination (Such life thrown away and now being controlled by another :x )

Dragons: Upmost respect (The Ultimate Predator)

Fey: Suspicion/Respect (The mischievous beings can have their uses)

Cant think of anymore supernatural creatures right now, i'll get back to ya all with the rest :D

Laters
So you go with the 'comic'-type of story? Really not my type of idea, but you may think as you like.
Lena
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Lena »

I think were-kind would be hating Vampires and Zombies as they are not alive. Vampires feed off humans and probably were-kind too making the emotions even more sharp.

Fairy I think would make were-kind angry but would be clever enough to keep out of their way.

The golems are created by humans so there would mebbe not be so much liking them because a golem is to protect the humans, yes?

Were-kind mostly would be supicious of magic users because they would be too secretive about they intentions.
To hunt, to run, this is living, this is freedom, this is me.

Things can change overnight; it depends upon how late you stay up and with whom you are doing it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Aki wrote:
Morkulv wrote:I imagine alot of creatures of the night - save those with long lives, and are rather experienced with other supernaturals - won't even know other supernaturals of their type exist. Some might not know if they possess kin, either.
*nods* If anonymity is priority #1, chances are a werewolf will only associate with their own pack as those are the only people they can be sure of. I can picture an uninfected human asking a werewolf if there are other things out there like vampires, and the werewolf responding "If there are, their doing a much better job than we are."

Still, I also think one supernatural would accept the existence of other supernaturals, regardless of whether they have ever seen one or not. As I said before, humans tend to lump werewolves, vampires etc. all in one category, so if a man is given proof that even one of them exists, he should in turn be more open to the possibility that the others exist.
Lena
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Lena »

Also if a werewolf meets a werecat, unless they be REAL friendly, I think they fight like cats and dogs? LOL!

Things can change overnight; it depends upon how late you stay up and with whom you are doing it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Lena wrote:Also if a werewolf meets a werecat, unless they be REAL friendly, I think they fight like cats and dogs? LOL!
Doubtful. Cats and dogs are not natural enemies, and since they are both werekin, the likeliness is that a werewolf and a werecat would find they have more in common than in contrast. Maybe in Duck Tales they'd be natural enemies, but I seriously doubt they'd naturally fight in the real world.
deruty
Legendary
Legendary

Post by deruty »

Though I would think they would both joke around about it. One being the cat and the other a wolf.

I would probably think that werewolves would stick together while the world outside their little association is utter chaos and maybe they'd be on friendly terms with merfolk. I'm not going to say that werewolves would be immediate enemies, but more of a division that we had in the US with race. Not necessarily kill each other enemies, but not always best friends either.
My real online handle is Derutydragon
Lena
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Lena »

Terastas wrote:
Lena wrote:Also if a werewolf meets a werecat, unless they be REAL friendly, I think they fight like cats and dogs? LOL!
Doubtful. Cats and dogs are not natural enemies, and since they are both werekin, the likeliness is that a werewolf and a werecat would find they have more in common than in contrast. Maybe in Duck Tales they'd be natural enemies, but I seriously doubt they'd naturally fight in the real world.
True they not enemies naturally, but they do compete for same food in wild. I see on Animal Planet etc wild dogs (jackals etc) do not confront lions over food, even if lion steal they food. This would be where is possible friction point. Also this is same thing with canines and tigers in south asia, yes?

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

deruty wrote:I'm not going to say that werewolves would be immediate enemies, but more of a division that we had in the US with race. Not necessarily kill each other enemies, but not always best friends either.
There are two important differences between ethnicity in humankind and ethnicity in the supernatural. First, ethnic groups don't have to deny their own existence; anonymity is not an issue. And second, all supernatural groups are in the minority compared to the human "norm."

You also need to keep in mind that "supernatural" often implies a capability beyond most normal human beings. That said, if two different supernatural races did come together, they probably would ask themselves what harm could come from the other race, but they could also ask themselves what the other race can do that they cannot.

In Deruty's example of werewolves and mermen, for example, werewolves can pass for human, and mermen have knowledge of, and easy access to the sea and its resources. Theoretically, the two of them together could dominate the local shellfish industry; the mermen would give the werewolves the advantage by harvesting for them and sabotaging their competitors, and in exchange the werewolves would put the majority of their profits towards environmental conservation. The werewolves get an easy living among men, and the mermen are ensured the protection of their environment: it's a win-win.

That's probably one of the few case examples where the abilities of two supernaturals would complement each other nicely, but the point is that most supernatural races would probably rather think of other supernaturals as allies or assets before enemies.