types

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

BACK ON TOPIC!
XIV
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

:P so whats the point of the flinging the poo at everybody :? and what were we talking about motsie?
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

We were discussing were others.....I've read some pretty cool stuff. We can go way out in what were means....were butterflly bats even. And I guess you could look at it like " If a man can be a wolf, what would stop a bat from being a butterfly or a roach from being a horse?"

But it's too far for me. I gotta stop somewhere. I picked five as a random number..just to get some control on how many. You guys can have were ants and were plankton - I'm not the official arbitrator of what's Were and whats Not.

For me - my world, my plots - there has to be a line. If there was a were everything, then there would be no way to hide it. In our tech savvy world, multiple versions of multiple types of were creatures over multiple centuries would leave traces somewhere....I don't see being able to hide that many were bodies.

And if there were so many weres, then our numbers, plus our powers, would negate the need for secret. Culture, laws, clothes, morals and architecture would be different. Then, we are truely living in a different world from this one.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure I'm not the only one writting a multiple were book. But it's no longer a scenario that would fit in the world that now exists.

So, in order to keep a story in the 'now' world, I think you HAVE to limit the types of weres. Just my point of view.

So. Followting that train of logic, it would mean picking which would stay and which would go. And I can't think of any I want to leave out!!!!!
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

If you write a story about multiple were creatures, you can just stick to just one, like the classic werewolf, or have every-living-thing-ever has a were-counterpart. Though that would be hard to pull off. WerePlankton :lol: Whatever makes ya happy :wink:
I think, if there is multiple weres, that it would be other stuff from legends around the world. Like, for example, werehyenas, weredolphins, werelions, werejaguars, werefoxes, and werebears.
I wouldnt think it would get down into, weregerman shepard, werepoodle, weremule, weresiamese cat, werechicken...things breed by humans from wild animals. Or anything significantly smaller than a human(bugs, mice, sparrows...) Assuming were-anything's existed, I don't think they could get that small, or huge(wereblue whale). Unless its caused by magic, or created in some high-tech lab...

OK, the top 5 animal types that would fit best into the Freeborn universe(besides werewolves):
-Big cats-lions/jaguars/leopards
-Wild canine-African wild dogs, foxes, jackles, hyenas(related to cats though I think)
-Dolphins/seals(selkies)
-Wild Horse
-Bear

Some kindof flying type animal would be cool too, like a bird-of-prey or a bat. Not really sure how that would work out though...Also something like a werekomodo dragon, snake or croc would be awesome too...
Damn, so many chocies! Well, thats my narrowed down list anyways :wink:
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

That's cool Silverclaw :D . I like that. And for Silver, that is a topic I hadn't really sat down to think about, "if man can shapeshift, then why can't other creatures". I think that topic should be talked bout more if it already hasn't.
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Rosiewolf »

We wouldn't know if other creatures could shapeshift though. It could probably be possible though. Well, maybe that's just me.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Well . . . if you believe in werewolves, then what is stopping you from believing in other things also? I mean, that isn't really fair to other things unknown to us now is it?
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

well to tell ya the truth motsie not that many people believe in other things other than werewolves or vampires lck
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Fyriewolf wrote:well to tell ya the truth motsie not that many people believe in other things other than werewolves or vampires lck

Yea, sometimes people limit their minds. Which I suppose is a good thing. But, I suppose that it is possible if an other animals could changfe into different things. That is something that I really haven't thought abou though.
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Fyriewolf wrote:well to tell ya the truth motsie not that many people believe in other things other than werewolves or vampires lck
Um, I already know that. What I'm saying is that, for the people who do believe in one thing, why can't they believe in other things as well? Shouldn't be to hard. But it was only a little thing that popped in my head. :roll:

BOT, how bout somthing exotic, like a giraffe? That transformation would really hurt :(
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

i agree w/ ya th@ would hurt i mean if the human was short then shapeshifts into a giraffe then their neck and legs would grow long and it would hurt like hell. pardon my french
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Yes it would. I wouldn't want to be a giraffe. I don't think i would like to change into one.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I like having very few limits on what weres you can have. Basically my limit is that it has to be endoskeletal and have the same number of limbs as you. So no werebees, though truthfully I wouldn't object to someone else's universe having them.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

The way I see it is this:

Being a Bi-morph (a Werewolf) is a specific adaptation, for a specific purpose. There is a sort of logic involved that transfers from RL, namely; every adaptation from a base stock happened for a reason, usually tied to having a high birth-rate, or surviving in a different environment from what the base stock developed in.
Look at the genus Homo: We began as arboreal apes, and the trees went away. So, the ones who could survive without trees as a safe haven did so, and the others became funny fossils. We were tossed into brushland, so the ones who could stand higher survived while the ones who couldn't became something's lunch. We moved into a situation where we were only a marginally successful species, with limited natural tools so we had to learn to make tools to compensate for what we were missing, and the ones who didn't, starved or were something's dinner.
Okay: now we're at the Chimpanzee level. We moved to a place where we had more protein available and had to think to get to that protein so we could start growing our brains. Eventually, we bacame dependant on those brains to survive: the smartest ones did, and bred like monkeys, while our slower cousins slowly disappeared, again as something's dinner or from doing something stupid that got them killed.
Eventually, We emerged... (this is a savagely shortened bit of evolutionary exposition for demonstration purposes).
Every thing we have now is either what got us here, or what will keep us growing.

Now, extra Wereforms. Sure, there could be many other Were-forms; but what was the reason for their arising? WereWolves would be better hunters, and better at socializing than other proto-humans, so there's a reason for them to exist. The same applies for Were-whatevers, as long as there is a positive reason for the ability to change.
Nature doesn't do anything for the hell of it. There's always a reason, and it's always findable.

If we add Chaos actors in the form of Magic or "Curses" then there is the possibility for anything. If we stick to the RL model, the possibilities diminish, simply because the road from there to here is very dangerous and very few make it.

So, Werewolves do make a sort of sense, while Were-Bats don't, unless magic is in the equation somewhere. Besides; with a weight of say 80 Kg, there isn't a way for the Were-Bat to fly: they're too heavy.

There always has to be an advantage for the Bi-Morphism, or it just wouldn't happen. Nature is too cheap.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

RedEye wrote:So, Werewolves do make a sort of sense, while Were-Bats don't, unless magic is in the equation somewhere. Besides; with a weight of say 80 Kg, there isn't a way for the Were-Bat to fly: they're too heavy.
I really hope you're saying this after taking extremely careful consideration about human anatomy, bat/general animal anatomy, and general aerodynamics.
pandawolf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by pandawolf »

werepandas bring pandaaaaaaaaaaaaaamoneuim
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

Kzinistzerg wrote:I like having very few limits on what weres you can have. Basically my limit is that it has to be endoskeletal and have the same number of limbs as you. So no werebees, though truthfully I wouldn't object to someone else's universe having them.

Yes. I would have to agree with that. But sometimes it seems that anything can be possible though. But if you look at things in a certain way, you lose that aspect of anything being possible.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

kitetsu wrote:
RedEye wrote:So, Werewolves do make a sort of sense, while Were-Bats don't, unless magic is in the equation somewhere. Besides; with a weight of say 80 Kg, there isn't a way for the Were-Bat to fly: they're too heavy.
I really hope you're saying this after taking extremely careful consideration about human anatomy, bat/general animal anatomy, and general aerodynamics.

I am. Werewolves aren't that different from humans, both are Anthropoid and both are preferential meat eaters.
Bats, on the other hand are so far away from Human as to be in another country, as a metaphor.
Flight, for instance would take over three hundred square feet of lifting surface for an 80kg weight using muscle power, and most of the flight would be a glide...sort of like the Pterosaurs did 65 million years ago. Flight muscles would require a "keel-bone" in the breast for the muscles to attatch to, and Humans have a solid and flat breastbone--the other thing is that flying animals as a rule have honey-comb bones rather than solid bones to save weight.
Every Gram that has to be lifted into the air takes muscle to get it there, and the Human anatomy just doesn't have enough muscle mass to do the deed. Plus, with wings, you lose your hands!

When you introduce a Chaotic actor ( a form of Chaos generator) like magic, then a Were' bat would be potentially possible, since the magic could reduce the weight of the body and generate lift as well. Then all the wings would have to do is propel-about 20% of what a bird's wing does (most of the wing is used for lift, not propulsion).

So you might say, yeah, I did some research. Structurally we have a lot more in common with Wolves than we do with bats.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Still, you're saying "impossible" like as if you're confident that there can't/shouldn't be a theory consisting of a set of natural mechanisms that lets someone propel oneself flightward without having lifting surfaces that wide, like when someone shoots an arrow -- the flightman, using the bowstring -- which is mostly some kind of solid surface. All that while some other mechanism makes the body of the flightman more resistant to the high to extreme number of Gs when flying in a dangerously fast pace... Or is the Gs thing just for riding aircrafts?

And the hands thing... What if the werebat is the type with both wings and arms? Can't this werebat just, you know, try not being an idiot and find a way to not have them hinder the flying, like folding their arms some ways, or have them lined up with the legs when flying?

Yes, i've done next to no research to almost any subject, such as aerodynamics, but sometimes i think other people aren't doing enough research on their own part.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Every natural flying animal (with one exception) uses their "arms" to make wings. If the Were-Bat had both, you'd have a hexapod...which is perfectly fine if Magic is involved, since the Were-Bat would be making an extra set of limbs, getting new muscles to power them, and gaining the processing capacity in their brain for the necessary corrections to let them fly, as opposed to plummet.
The Exception is the Flying Fish, which uses a modified set of ventral fins to get airborn... and their "flight" is a glide.
Arrows are ballistic devices, using the upward angle of the bowman's aim to follow a ballistic arc.
There is also the body density to consider: birds are about one-third as dense as humans are. They evolved to fly, usually by discarding everything that doesn't get them aloft. Example: birds only have one kidney. Up to sixty percent of their body mass is in their chest region-the flight muscles. Most birds have a common elimination canal...for everything.

Now, if the Flying Human grew extra skin between their upper and lower extremities, they could "sail" for some distance-like Flying Squirrels.
If we include a "Chaos actor"...say a magic ring or somesuch, then anything is possible. Otherwise, Air is Air ( and darned thin for flight) and mass is mass (every gram has to be forcibly lifted off the ground). Even then, the theoretical Flying man would glide most of the time, to save energy (our liver is way, way too small to feed us for flight).

And Angels (Humanoids with wings) are decidedly magical in their flight. The drag the robes alone create is awful...
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Another thing you need to remember is that there's a solid scientific reason most flying things are small (and that most large birds can't fly). Imagine a flying creature twice the linear size of your average bat. That creature would need to be eight times as strong as the aforementioned average bat just to be as good a flier.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

okay question. can a shapeshifter/snake caller mate with a werewolf/snakecaller? Because I am writing a story about these types of characters and I just need to know if its possible for these things to happen. ??
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Fyriewolf wrote:okay question. can a shapeshifter/snake caller mate with a werewolf/snakecaller? Because I am writing a story about these types of characters and I just need to know if its possible for these things to happen. ??
Well, Shapeshifters are Werewolves and vice-versa. What kind of shape-shifter are you suggesting? Mating with a Werewolf would require either wolf-like or human-like (depending on the Werewolf) reproductive apparatus.
If you're asking if it would be a fertile mating...dunno. That would depend on the genetic structure, pretty much. Lions and Tigers are both Felids-but it is rare that a mating between them is fertile (without help).

And what's a Snake caller? Someone who telephones Ophidians?
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

Okay I am just talking about a shapeshifter who transform into anything you are afraid of. And a snake-caller is someone who calls any type or snakes he/she wants. What genetic structures are you talking about? The reproductive structure or the other structures? Also what is an Ophidians?
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Ophidians are Snakes.

The Fear-based Shapeshifter would have a hard time getting intimate with a werewolf, if the shifting were automatic and uncontrollable. The Werewolf would see what he/she feared and scoot. If the Shapeshifter were able to transform into something not fear inducing; why not another Werewolf of the appropriate gender?
The Genetic structure I was referring to is the basic structure that goes into making up half the instructions for a baby-the other parent supplies the other half. Dogs and Cats are genetically not compatible-you cannot cross breed a dog with a cat, even in a glass dish. It won't happen. No fertilization can take place. Incompatible on a genetic level.