types

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Men are from Vulcan, Women from Betazed

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's funny how so many of us would rather turn into another animal of the same gender than a member of the opposite sex of our own species. I've heard similar observations from role-playing gamers--guys who have an easy time playing male elves, dwarves, and trolls, but a hard time with the idea of a female human. Females seem less troubled overall with trying out the male role than males with the female role, though on both fronts, I've noticed a substantial degree of discomfort.

Women tend to describe the male role as both liberating and limiting; one is allowed to be more assertive and is under less pressure to put forth a particular physical appearance, but one is expected to behave a particular way and maintain a constant emotional vigilance. Men tend to find the female role even more intimidating, because it goes against conditioning from early childhood about emotional suppression and associations with sexual orientation.

I'm pretty accustomed to being male and would have a hard time thinking of myself as a woman without undergoing reincarnation or rewiring my brain. But, I've found the social role of being male pretty demanding--I'm pressured to put forth an aggressive stance and forgo emotional comforts. I've resisted the "macho" image of contemporary culture, reinventing masculinity in my mind, drawing more from a mix of historic ideas of the gentleman and the emerging metrosexual movement. A lot of men are pressured to avoid both of these venues because of a cultural pressure to avoid appearing gay. My response is that, first, if I were, this is the 21st century, and a social revolution is in progress, so get over it; and, second, I consider myself being more a man than the cultural mainstream man, because I'm standing up for myself and being assertive by refusing to be aggressive. Sounds paradoxical, but, then again, this is Earth, the human homeworld, so idiotic paradoxes are pretty common around here.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Men are from Vulcan, Women from Betazed

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:It's funny how so many of us would rather turn into another animal of the same gender than a member of the opposite sex of our own species. I've heard similar observations from role-playing gamers--guys who have an easy time playing male elves, dwarves, and trolls, but a hard time with the idea of a female human. Females seem less troubled overall with trying out the male role than males with the female role, though on both fronts, I've noticed a substantial degree of discomfort.

Women tend to describe the male role as both liberating and limiting; one is allowed to be more assertive and is under less pressure to put forth a particular physical appearance, but one is expected to behave a particular way and maintain a constant emotional vigilance. Men tend to find the female role even more intimidating, because it goes against conditioning from early childhood about emotional suppression and associations with sexual orientation.

I'm pretty accustomed to being male and would have a hard time thinking of myself as a woman without undergoing reincarnation or rewiring my brain. But, I've found the social role of being male pretty demanding--I'm pressured to put forth an aggressive stance and forgo emotional comforts. I've resisted the "macho" image of contemporary culture, reinventing masculinity in my mind, drawing more from a mix of historic ideas of the gentleman and the emerging metrosexual movement. A lot of men are pressured to avoid both of these venues because of a cultural pressure to avoid appearing gay. My response is that, first, if I were, this is the 21st century, and a social revolution is in progress, so get over it; and, second, I consider myself being more a man than the cultural mainstream man, because I'm standing up for myself and being assertive by refusing to be aggressive. Sounds paradoxical, but, then again, this is Earth, the human homeworld, so idiotic paradoxes are pretty common around here.
I think I am a bit of an oddity in that respect. I am male, and I behave as a male is expected to act much of the time. However, I am not afraid to show my feminine side when I feel compelled to do so. I try very hard to maintain a gender-neutral perspective and attitude as much as I can, though I can't deny that my masculinity remains dominant much of the time anyway.

I entertain the idea in my mind on occasion of living on the opposite side of the line, perhaps by RPing as a Woman, but I usually don't have much reason to bother as I'm really not sure what I would do differently. When I picture myself as I think I would have been had I been born female, though I can imagine alot of life-choices I would have done differently, I really don't see myself becoming that different of a person.

In High School, I was seen hanging out with 'The Girls' just chatting about whatever more often than I hung out with the guys, or trying to court anyone I happened to fancy. It was occasionally suggested that I was Gay, (which I have no problem with, btw), but that really wasn't it. I just found talking with the girls to generally be more satisfying, and I did find many of them attractive...I just didn't care.

Honestly, if suddenly I woke up one morning after a Full Moon as a Female, I would freak out for a while...calm down...and eventually just think, "...Meh...", buy some new outfits that suit my new look and carry on living exactly the same way I already do. (exept for all that PMS junk, that is...and not going shirtless anymore.)

...heck...with a clean shave, a little makeup and some padding in the right places, I could probably pass for a woman anyway. I already get alot of people saying, "excuse me Miss..." when they see me from the back, even up close. (I have a small frame and long hair, you see...)

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've also been mis-identified as gay--I think it's because I'm not going out of my way to avoid being mis-categorized as such, since I don't buy into the notion that it's so terrible a thing that one should not only not be gay but also not appear to be gay. (Haven't figured this culture out; they hate homosexuality to the point of discouraging even looking gay, but love gay imagery in music. Even the most adamant homophobic seems to love Elton John or Prince. Doing my impression of Will Farrell from Zoolander, Am I the only one who notices!?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

I've never been mistaken as a guy before (thank goodness). I have been mistaken for my mother though. I'm all girl :femshft
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I've been accused of being gay plenty of times to. And not even because I ever did anything feminine -- just because I wasn't enough of a male chauvinist pig for someone's liking. What I've found, however, is that the people that are extremely vocal and quick to judge are actually overcompensating for their own insecurity.

Me, I've played as a girl before, but while the prospect of such didn't bother me, the big load of crap I got day after day from other players just wasn't worth it. 45% of the online population will accuse you of being gay, and if the game includes a dancing animation, another 45% will assume you only created that character to act raunchy and want to be in your "you touch my tra-la-la" video. :P
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

were-woman. You turn into a woman at the full moon. And you turn into a man at the next.
what would happen if you got pregnant? :?
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Terastas wrote:I've been accused of being gay plenty of times to. And not even because I ever did anything feminine -- just because I wasn't enough of a male chauvinist pig for someone's liking. What I've found, however, is that the people that are extremely vocal and quick to judge are actually overcompensating for their own insecurity.

Me, I've played as a girl before, but while the prospect of such didn't bother me, the big load of crap I got day after day from other players just wasn't worth it. 45% of the online population will accuse you of being gay, and if the game includes a dancing animation, another 45% will assume you only created that character to act raunchy and want to be in your "you touch my tra-la-la" video. :P
Hmm, ok . . . Getting real into it there. I haven't been accused of being a boy, but I have been accused of being a lesbian(sp?) once. I had a boyfriend to prove I wasn't, thank goodness. It was so stupid. Not that there is anything bad bout gay people, I just don't want to be one. It is like how you don't see very many gay wolves. Just not my thing. :P 8)
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

i so agree with ya. There is not that much gay wolves. and gay wolves aren't my type either. ihate being one. no offense to any gay or lesbien wolves on here. 8)
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Hmm. . . I think we should change the topic. I was on werewolf.com and a user on there said she was a werewolf/dog. I don't really get why she should point dog out, cause isn't it basicly the same thing as the wolf? I dunno, I'm just struggling for a change of topic :lol:
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

yea i agree and isn't the word wolve realted to the word dog ?? duh. :P
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Wolves are part of the dog family, but a wolf and a poodle aren't the same thing.
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Yeah. The word doesn't have anything to do with dogs though. Wolves are said to be the ancestors of our modern day pooches though :D
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I used to pretend I was a boy on the internet before. :lol:

But back on topic. About the top five weres:

I think they would have to be about human sized animals so you dont have to worry about where mass is going to or coming from. (No wereferrets :( ) And they should be like humans...you know...mammals and carnivores/omnivores. My top five would be wolves, felines, bears, then maybe birds (how cool would that be) then reptiles.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Don't know if the questions been answered, as blocker system on the library computers won't let me see the last page, but:

I think the reason for the wolf started because the people of dark ages Europe feared the wolf. They were farmers, and rumors about wolves attacking not only live-stock, their chief source of money and food, but also because their were rumors about wolves attacking people. When the work was done, and night fell, what better scary story than that of a human being forced to transform into a wolf?
(By the way, we would like to thank the person who put the posts on the bottom of the screen, which he failed to notice before.)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:Don't know if the questions been answered, as blocker system on the library computers won't let me see the last page, but:

I think the reason for the wolf started because the people of dark ages Europe feared the wolf. They were farmers, and rumors about wolves attacking not only live-stock, their chief source of money and food, but also because their were rumors about wolves attacking people. When the work was done, and night fell, what better scary story than that of a human being forced to transform into a wolf?
(By the way, we would like to thank the person who put the posts on the bottom of the screen, which he failed to notice before.)
Thanks for the (tiredly obvious) insight.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

well y do people think th@ just because wolves get mad and hunt live-stock at night and sometimes in the day that they are scary. i mean they only get mad when 1 to protect their cubs 2 to protect teritory and 3 to put other members of the pack in their places. and besides werewolves are not that mean to attack and kill human beings that often. i mean wasn't those stories made up in what the 17th century or something? and not only that but wolves don't have that much of a choice to attack their weaklings as prey i mean its not their fault entirely because some people are still afraid of wolves and are killing them in alaska and they only attack again like i said in those 3 reasons plus one more it is their instincts.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

True, but just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I'm going to sleep in a pitch dark room on the top floor of church in the center of a graveyard at midnight.
Just because you don't find them scary, doesn't mean others won't.
(And remember, we're talking about the middle ages here, and however tired it is, back tehn people were afriad of everything they could and could not see.)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Fyriewolf wrote:well y do people think th@ just because wolves get mad and hunt live-stock at night and sometimes in the day that they are scary. i mean they only get mad when 1 to protect their cubs 2 to protect teritory and 3 to put other members of the pack in their places. and besides werewolves are not that mean to attack and kill human beings that often. i mean wasn't those stories made up in what the 17th century or something? and not only that but wolves don't have that much of a choice to attack their weaklings as prey i mean its not their fault entirely because some people are still afraid of wolves and are killing them in alaska and they only attack again like i said in those 3 reasons plus one more it is their instincts.
Yes, btu people were even more ignorant and easily frightened than we are now.
XIV
wolfpriest
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfpriest »

Dreamer wrote:
Fyriewolf wrote:well y do people think th@ just because wolves get mad and hunt live-stock at night and sometimes in the day that they are scary. i mean they only get mad when 1 to protect their cubs 2 to protect teritory and 3 to put other members of the pack in their places. and besides werewolves are not that mean to attack and kill human beings that often. i mean wasn't those stories made up in what the 17th century or something? and not only that but wolves don't have that much of a choice to attack their weaklings as prey i mean its not their fault entirely because some people are still afraid of wolves and are killing them in alaska and they only attack again like i said in those 3 reasons plus one more it is their instincts.
I dunnoh some people are pretty stupid now! I've been on some collage campuses and I have seen some pretty stupid and easily frighten'd people! Or you could just go to walmart at night dressed in all dark blue, and wait for that cart kid to come by and jump out and roar I bet he would think you were other worldly! so I think Ignorance and primeval fear will stay around for ever!

*Also I think a Were Monkey Would kick major butt! "Fling Poo!"*
[wolfpriest] T.T Save me from her
[cumulusprotagonist] How could I possibly do that/
[wolfpriest] uuh...magical mystical mind bullet?
[Mom] OMG Gary WTF ouch...That better be fruit punch on the floor!
*Visit my blog here: http://wolfpriest.blogspot.com/
Wolf of the Wind
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Wolf of the Wind »

Dreamer wrote:
... just look at the U.S. today... terrorists here terrorist there... college student kills 33....
Me? a werewolf? well... isn't that the question everyone would like to know.
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

AH HA! Weremonkey! That reminds me of a shirt my brother had that said "It's not raining, that's just my ninja monkey flinging poo at you". :lol: :lol:

Dreamer: I agree.
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

:howl:  :oo i howl 2 th@ joke. and about people who are easily frighten then they must have had a really bad childhood if something had happen to them th@ they do not want to remember i mean no offense to anyone if i am making fun of u but for those who are easily frighten then all I have to say is just forget what had happen in the past and start worrying about the present and the future.
*flings poo at Motsiewolf*
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Fyriewolf wrote::howl:  :oo i howl 2 th@ joke. and about people who are easily frighten then they must have had a really bad childhood if something had happen to them th@ they do not want to remember i mean no offense to anyone if i am making fun of u but for those who are easily frighten then all I have to say is just forget what had happen in the past and start worrying about the present and the future.
*flings poo at Motsiewolf*
Don't make me go get Fig. You'll get duckies flung at you! :lol: :Duckietoss: :lol:
Fyriewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fyriewolf »

:lol: like i am scared. and who is Fig? and what are you mad at me 4 i mean u know what i say is true and that if the FLINGING THE POO AT YOU offends u then i am sorry but I couldn't resist. :lol:
Am I willing to risk failure in order to succeed? The answer is always YES!!!
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Fyriewolf wrote::lol: like i am scared. and who is Fig? and what are you mad at me 4 i mean u know what i say is true and that if the FLINGING THE POO AT YOU offends u then i am sorry but I couldn't resist. :lol:
*shakes head
I didn't say I was mad at you. Where did that come from? :? why would I be offended? ??