types

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

Not unless they find some way to adapt to a land enviroment, I don't see why not. A wereshark would be cool; I think I saw a made to TV movie about a half human shark in Jamacia (I believe it was Jamacia). Forgot the name of the movie but I think it was based on a book by H.P. Lovecraft.
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

There was Peter Benchley's "Creature" made for scifi about a man-shark.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants a pet bat!

Yay, Fang remembers the 'rundi! :D
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Maybe were-marines could just have a combination of lungs and gills or something.

But if that was so, i wonder what fish scales would feel like if it's dry.

That and imagine what it would be like to be a wereprawn. Going orange from too much heat, maybe? ;)
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

PariahPoet wrote:I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants a pet bat!

Yay, Fang remembers the 'rundi! :D
you're welcome :D
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary

Post by KittyRose »

PariahPoet wrote:There was Peter Benchley's "Creature" made for scifi about a man-shark.
That's the movie, thank you :D
DeviantART
Meez

White Paw

Post by White Paw »

kitetsu wrote:Maybe were-marines could just have a combination of lungs and gills or something.

But if that was so, i wonder what fish scales would feel like if it's dry.

That and imagine what it would be like to be a wereprawn. Going orange from too much heat, maybe? ;)

i guess you could say im a "were-Marine" :lol: semper fi
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

Werefish with lungs and gills . . . possible. Well, anything is possible! :D With lungs and gills reminds me of the lungfish. That fish is weird looking :lol:

But if the fish is able to come on land and have dry scales, then wouldn't it be considered a reptile? :?
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Motsiewolf wrote:Werefish with lungs and gills . . . possible. Well, anything is possible! :D With lungs and gills reminds me of the lungfish. That fish is weird looking :lol:

But if the fish is able to come on land and have dry scales, then wouldn't it be considered a reptile? :?
more of an amphibian that a reptile at first :)
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary

Post by KittyRose »

Speaking of amphibians, how about a werefrog?
DeviantART
Meez

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

KittyRose wrote:Speaking of amphibians, how about a werefrog?
*Moon Rises over Swampland*

[Man in the Moonlight] "That's funny...suddenly I have this irresistible urge to eat flies, play the Banjo and start a Comedy troupe with a Bear, a Pig and a Weird Blue Bird-like thing."

(Oh wait...that would be a Were-Kermit. Oops...My Bad...) Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary

Post by KittyRose »

:lol: Nice One!!
DeviantART
Meez

Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

I agree :lol:
The WereFrog!! *Ribbit!* :P He he he . . . :lol:
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

IMHO...

Post by RedEye »

Hunh...If we limit the field to Were'-(please fill in the blank) we are stuck with things that could be built on the Human "chassis", which is limited in scope.
Let me ask, why would the Were' have to be a particular animal form? Why not a metamorph (which all were's are) that just uses the goodies from the shift and only hints at the other animal form?
That takes into Anthropometric Metamorphic creatures: a whole 'nother concept.
A Were' felid (cat) might have the teeth, the tail, the claws and some level of Furriness, but would be essentially a Fuzzy Humanoid--which all Werewolves were in the movies until the evolution of Latex and CGI.
A Were' Shark would have the Teeth, skin, and either a dolphin-like oxygenation system or a set of modified lungs that could act as gills. Hands and feet would mimic an Otter's more than a Shark's.
Problem there is salt...we have about half as much salt in our blood as seawater does: we'd dehydrate in a hurry just swimming around in the Ocean--and Fresh water would have us making yellow clouds in the water a lot, as fresh water fish do today.
My suspicion is that a Werewolf (Homo Sapiens Lupens, var. Brownriggi) would take some time to shift anda some tiume to revert; as in hours- simply because of the amount of template modification that would have to be done, and the shifted person would be very, very tired after a shift.
They'd probably stay in form for as long as possible, shifting only when necessary and only when there was a safe time and place to do so.
My two bits...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Wow, good thinking. Are you saying bout them only partial shifting? Hmm, why not?
How bout the wereworm? :P Ew, the aren't my favorite things :lol:
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Okay, okay - I'm having a hard time with this. If there are so many were creatures out there, there would have been evidence of it by now.

I know, I know, but I'm still working on the Feeborn world. It's supposed to be an alternate reality, not a fantasy. I have to work from that direction.

Based on that world, we can't have every Tom, Dick and werefrog crowding the streets an restaurants. So give me your top 5 weres? Then you can go back to the eneral discussion?
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Maybe instead of every species, why not top "kinds"?
Were canids, felines, ungulates, mestelids, etc?
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Re: IMHO...

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

RedEye wrote:Hunh...If we limit the field to Were'-(please fill in the blank) we are stuck with things that could be built on the Human "chassis", which is limited in scope.
Let me ask, why would the Were' have to be a particular animal form? Why not a metamorph (which all were's are) that just uses the goodies from the shift and only hints at the other animal form?
That takes into Anthropometric Metamorphic creatures: a whole 'nother concept.
A Were' felid (cat) might have the teeth, the tail, the claws and some level of Furriness, but would be essentially a Fuzzy Humanoid--which all Werewolves were in the movies until the evolution of Latex and CGI.
A Were' Shark would have the Teeth, skin, and either a dolphin-like oxygenation system or a set of modified lungs that could act as gills. Hands and feet would mimic an Otter's more than a Shark's.
Problem there is salt...we have about half as much salt in our blood as seawater does: we'd dehydrate in a hurry just swimming around in the Ocean--and Fresh water would have us making yellow clouds in the water a lot, as fresh water fish do today.
My suspicion is that a Werewolf (Homo Sapiens Lupens, var. Brownriggi) would take some time to shift anda some tiume to revert; as in hours- simply because of the amount of template modification that would have to be done, and the shifted person would be very, very tired after a shift.
They'd probably stay in form for as long as possible, shifting only when necessary and only when there was a safe time and place to do so.
My two bits...
Maybe it's just me, but i find this analogy to be made of fail and forced meme.
RedEye

Five Were's

Post by RedEye »

The request is for Five Were'forms. I'm going to stick to things that are reasonable, based on the Human body as the base (chassis).
1: Werewolf. Homo Sapiens Lupens; var, Brownriggi
2: Puman. Homo Sapiens Felis Concolor (Were Cougar or Puma)
3: Baasti. Homo Sapiens Felis Leo Africanus. (were-Lion, panther, etc.)
4: Ursinii. Homo Sapiens Ursus (Probably Brown Bear)
5: Selkie. Homo Sapiens Delphinus. (Warm Blooded, retains human appearance from waist up, while dolphin-like otherwise. Tends to fatness in either form.

I avoided things that wouldn't be supported by the Human frame in any way, such as Centaurs (Hexipods) Sharks or any fish (Blood form and frame incompatibility) Birds/Bats (we are just too heavy to fly under our own power)

All of my theoreticals have in common: Four limbs, Humanoid conformation, and a tail (which we do have, just small). I separate the Puman and Baasti because they are really different critters and just barely stay within Human weight limits. Baasti would probably be people of African descent. This is just an opinion, mind...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Five Were's

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

RedEye wrote:The request is for Five Were'forms. I'm going to stick to things that are reasonable, based on the Human body as the base (chassis).
1: Werewolf. Homo Sapiens Lupens; var, Brownriggi
2: Puman. Homo Sapiens Felis Concolor (Were Cougar or Puma)
3: Baasti. Homo Sapiens Felis Leo Africanus. (were-Lion, panther, etc.)
4: Ursinii. Homo Sapiens Ursus (Probably Brown Bear)
5: Selkie. Homo Sapiens Delphinus. (Warm Blooded, retains human appearance from waist up, while dolphin-like otherwise. Tends to fatness in either form.

I avoided things that wouldn't be supported by the Human frame in any way, such as Centaurs (Hexipods) Sharks or any fish (Blood form and frame incompatibility) Birds/Bats (we are just too heavy to fly under our own power)

All of my theoreticals have in common: Four limbs, Humanoid conformation, and a tail (which we do have, just small). I separate the Puman and Baasti because they are really different critters and just barely stay within Human weight limits. Baasti would probably be people of African descent. This is just an opinion, mind...
Well, that's not good enough -- you're thinking too realistically.

For one thing, what if werebirds can fly short distances like chickens do? It doesn't matter if not being able to soar higher than an F-22 Raptor as a werefalcon doesn't make it a true werefalcon. Functionality is much more important than purity, y'know? There might even be, i dunno, "organic aerodynamics" technology that modifies the wings to let werebirds fly much further even with short wings.

And werefish/sharks. Like i said, they can breathe air and dive underwater. The worst case scenario would be that these folks would die from severe dehydration 1/3 quicker than normal humans for all i care. Why not give them surgery to make them hydrated for longer periods? What if, as mischievous mother nature is with her ecosystem and even the human anatomy alone, that there is a unique marine lycanthrope that has an abnormally high levels of hydration inside the body?

The bottom line is, lycanthropes, regardless of type are half-half beings that can change back and forth, and has their own set of disadvantages. Just remember, don't go and say "no, that's impossible" just cos one type has odds stacked 238946837458947584 times higher than the universally-favored wolf type.

Because this is what happens when you apply too much realism.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Uhhh- Lycanthropes are Werewolves exclusively. Lycos-Wolf Anthrope- manlike.
The word you are probably after is either Metamorph, Meta-anthropes or
Polyanthropes.

Either way, you're stuck with what is available in the base form- the Human frame. Unless that Human frame is made completely metamorphic, like the Jello-Werewolves in some of the Werewolf movies.
The human frame is a rather useful thing though, given what its posessors have accomplished.

ANyhow, Silver was asking for our top five were's, so I gave her mine. Give her yours, too.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Silver wrote:Okay, okay - I'm having a hard time with this. If there are so many were creatures out there, there would have been evidence of it by now.

I know, I know, but I'm still working on the Feeborn world. It's supposed to be an alternate reality, not a fantasy. I have to work from that direction.

Based on that world, we can't have every Tom, Dick and werefrog crowding the streets an restaurants. So give me your top 5 weres? Then you can go back to the eneral discussion?
I think Silver has forgotten that the forum has an entirely seperate section for discussions concerning Freeborn specifically.

Since this thread does not specify any guidelines within which respones must fall, then I think answers in the category of "fantasy" are perfectly relevant to this discussion.

On Freeborn, I have been under the impression that in the storyverse of the film, there are only werewolves for sure, and not likely any, or many other such creatures.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Motsiewolf »

Yes, this is just for the 'fantasy' of were's. :D Lets not mind boggle each other with theory and stuff :lol: Just and easy post of something yall think would be cool to think is walking around and about. :) Hard disscusion of something that has been talked over and over bout should go to a different thread 8)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Didn't there used to be a "Silvers Corner" section? ...all I can find is the "Replies to Silvers Corner" section.

Anyway...Silver...if you would like to spinoff this discussion for the purposes of fleshing out the Expanded Freeborn Universe, I strongly suggest starting a new thread in the section with your name on it...created just for you...for that very purpose...

...ditto with the "Body Parts" thread.
Silver wrote:I've read the opinions on this thread, and there's something that needs to be remembered. It was decided a while back that the transformation was not magic, but a virus that mutated the DNA. So magic doesn't enter into the equasion here.

It seems that if you take the magic out, the majority of the opinion is that a severed limb would remain as it was before it was severed.

So, do I have it right? if a piece of the WW body (transformed) is removed, it will most probably stay as is. If it is partially removed, it might try to change back, slowing down as the body died.

That sound correct?
This is not the place to tell us which ideas are right or which are wrong. Nothing has been "DECIDED" in this section. The discussions here are open to free creative expression.

If you are interested in hearing what we have to say in regards to just what is applicable to "Freeborn", I strongly suggest starting new subjects in the appropriate aria.

THE FILM - FREEBORN

"...OkayILoveYou, BuhBye..." Image
-Mindy~Animaniacs
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:Didn't there used to be a "Silvers Corner" section? ...all I can find is the "Replies to Silvers Corner" section.
Here it is.
http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... m.php?f=20