Human wolves

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
king2wolves
Legendary
Legendary

Human wolves

Post by king2wolves »

Who here likes the human wolf , half breed , and cross between wolf and human look? I mean is the look good for werewolves?
http://www.horschamp.qc.ca/images/photo ... stian3.jpg
http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/wolfman.gif
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

I like it if it is done well. It is not my preferred look for werewolves, but there are times when it works.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

One of the problems with "Old Brillo Face", the original Wolf-Man was his lack of identifiable Wolf-ness. Both offerings have this problem: You cannot immediately identify them as Wolves.
That's one of the main problems with a Human-type makeup: we look like gorillas, and it takes a lot of latex to disguise the fact.
Wolves, viewed head-on have a basically pentagonal facial structure, whille Humans have either a square or ovoid face: the difference is so noticeable that most of the Motion Pictures have gone to pure Wolf as their basis, rather than Human or even Humanoid.
If you want to keep the Human face, you need to concentrate on the few features that we and Wolves have in common.
The Eyes are foremost. Wolf eyes penetrate deeply into the viewer. Next are teeth: make them Canine, not human and flat.
Ears, cup and point, not the rumpled crescents we have now.
You approach the Wolf by giving visual clues, and FUR isn't one of them.
The first picture looks more like a Wolverine or Cat than a Wolf, and picture two-Lon Chaney,jr actually looks more like a Bear tha a Wolf.
Human-Wolf makeup isn't impossible, but it has to be carefully applied to focus on the Wolf and hide the Human...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I think the old "WolfMan" face still has potential if it was refined somehow. I actually kinda like it...it's just a little off yet.

I don't know where you got that first one, and I don't think I want to know either. That's just wrong...more so than the Bald Underworld Gargoyle Cats.

I have to agree with everyone else so far. It CAN work...if it's done right.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
king2wolves
Legendary
Legendary

Post by king2wolves »

The first picture is from the movie Kibakichi is about a werewolf samurai and i think they were going with this look which is popular in asia with half human creatures especially with inuyasha. :kasa:
http://content.answers.com/main/content ... Kurama.jpg
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:I think the old "WolfMan" face still has potential if it was refined somehow. I actually kinda like it...it's just a little off yet.

We will soon know when they release the remake of "The Wolfman."

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... php?t=2394
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Well, wolfman faces have the problem of looking too human, and not wolf enough. We all realize the problem. However, the other common extreme is the use of full wolf faces, which, IMHO, are not human enough, which might not be the best way to go either since faces more than bodies give us our distinctive 'human' look. An ideal case would be striking the balance between the too, which is rather difficult. I think Underworld did a decent job of retaining human features while remaining bestial, but we all agree that this made them look like cats (the flatter face that is closer to human is also more reminiscent of the cat). Monster Squad had also good attempt.
twirrlacurl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by twirrlacurl »

I dislike the look, I believe it isn't scary enough. Without the extended muzzel they lack the killing capablity of a wolf. So if the Wolf-man were to bite into something it would not be fatal, it most likely wouldn't even bite through. I also think of a werewolf as the beast whithin finding its way out. On the other hand one of my favorite movies American Werewolf in London almost went to far to the extreme. It was a very believable werewolf but basically was just a big wolf.
Meet me on the tee, it's going down. Meet me on the green it's going down. Anywhere you meet me guaranteed its going down.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Well, I gotta disagree, a shorter muzzle doen't necessarily mean a lack of killing capacity, indeed, mechanically, shorter muzzles can deliver stronger bites (hence hyenas and felines being better biter than canines). Wolves re more adept at wounding multiple times and killing by sheer accumulated number of wounds than a killing stroke. Now, obviously, no muzzle at all is not the best either...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

i dislike them both im still a big fan of the look of the one in van helsing and the american werewolf in paris movies...more wolf like than human like :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

The problem with the wolfman look is that it's been used over and over again for over half a century, so it's impossible to find believable anymore. In the case of the full wolf or bipedal wolf looks, the majority of the negative associations relate to movies that had bad scripting or acting. The wolfman look, on the other hand, can be replicated at your local Halloween store.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Dating slogan: Wolfmen, More than just a hairy face :D :lol:
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Brilliant! :lol:
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Fang wrote:Dating slogan: Wolfmen, More than just a hairy face :D :lol:

*shakes head* ohh geese :P :lol:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I hate the "wolfman" look. They never look like wolves in the slightest way, they just look like cavemen with fangs. If you look at medieval woodcuts you'll see that werewolves look anthropomorphic.

Only reason why people like it because that's how people came to know the werewolf in the modern day through the werewolf movies that came out in the 40's when they weren't capable of making a historically accurate (and believable) looking werewolf.
THE GAME

My Armory
Kuro
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: La Loba Loca
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Kuro »

I hate the wolf-man look. At least it takes a while to get used to. I prefer a muzzle at least. There is one wolf-man look I don't mind though. I haven't really seen or wanted to see the show in a while but anyone remember Big Wolf On Campus. His face wasn't really wolfish but at least I think it transformed the human face a little better. Thats just my opinion though.

~Kuro
KittyRose
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Spotted Feline Writer

Post by KittyRose »

In some cases I don't mind the whole human wolf thing; if its done right and the human doesn't look like a human hair ball. But mostly I prefer the anthro wolf; with fur, a muzzle, and a tail. A fluffy tail!!
DeviantART
Meez

:wolfpaint: Avatar created by Z
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Anubis wrote:I hate the "wolfman" look. They never look like wolves in the slightest way, they just look like cavemen with fangs. If you look at medieval woodcuts you'll see that werewolves look anthropomorphic.
*nods* That too. It was acceptable back in the 40s and 50s when special effects were severely limited, but now the only thing I can picture wolfmen doing is advertising for GEICO. :grinp:
king2wolves
Legendary
Legendary

Post by king2wolves »

This is a werewolf by night website filled with information about the history of the character, now on the right top side of the screen you will see picture of what i think as the perfect wolfman look 8), but you can also check the information as well about the character.
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/russelljackww.htm
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

no,

there is nothing cool about that. it's just anthromorphic body with a fanged human face! I really wish they start doing it right.
THE GAME

My Armory
Aru the Dog
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Aru the Dog »

So far, the only good werewolves I've seen have been CG. The perfect one I've seen so far would be from the longest running sci-fi series "Doctor Who" in the Episode Tooth and Claw. It also happens to have a rather nice transformation sequence, and for being a SciFi Channel budget series they did an amazing job on the whole werewolf throughout the episode. To describe it some, it had a wolf's facial formation, with a thicker muzzle, and the digitgrade feet, slightly elongated arms for shifting between four and two legged movement, and the wide shoulders, with the neck curved forwards slightly
No longer shall She be hurt.
Aru the Dog
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Aru the Dog »

Cant forget the tail, had a very nice tail too lck
No longer shall She be hurt.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

*points at 'Classic Wolfman'.* It's a gori-li-li-li-la!!!
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Right!

Post by RedEye »

ChaosWolf wrote:*points at 'Classic Wolfman'.* It's a gori-li-li-li-la!!!
It's a sad but true fact that we do resemble our closest relatives, the so-called "Great Apes". When the makeup artist or the graphic artist "beastializes" our face, it turns into a Gorilla. I've even seen Gorillas-with-muzzles that were supposed to be Werewolves...they weren't. (Underwhelm-oops I meant Underworld- is an example).
Guess why? Wolves don't have anything like the same facial structures that we have.
If you want to capture the Wolf in a human face, you have to make a lot of bone-deep changes. Sticking a muzzle and fangs on a human face leaves you with either a Gorilla-with-muzzle, or a Baboon.
For some reason, I really don't find the concept of a Were-Baboon as anything but sad...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...