What are your thoughts on how a werewolf would fight.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

How would a werewolf fight?

...if they have the mind and inteligence of a human, I think that they would fight in EVERY way that I human can, and a few new ways that we cant.

If the human knows karate...I would imagine that they would apply some of the principles of their known fighting style to their strategy when they go toe-to-toe with someone. If the person is a pro-boxer, they would surely mix in some of their best footwork and jabs simply by habit and nature. (whether they make a concious effort to do so or not)

If they know nothing about fighting, they would do what any of us would do...pounce, slash, bite, rip, smash...

At first, I imagine that all werewolves would fight with a combination of the human-style fighting moves that they allready know, combined with whatever comes naturally for someone with sharp teeth and claws.

If they consider themselves trained fighters, they would later make a concious effort to apply as much of all human fighting styles the individual knows as they can to their "Gestalt" fighting strategy... modifying it wherever it seems appropriate to take advantage of their non-human tools and strengths.

I suppose it could be possilbe that someone, somewhere, could invent an entire fighting style just for werewolves, and teach it to generation after genreration of new werewolves...

...but really, "WHICH FIGHING STYLE?" ...well...all of them of course. ...whichever styles the person in question knows... including straightforward, primitive, brutal "Tooth and Fang" hunting style.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Well all that is nice and all but no one still doesnt know how will the digigrated legs will affect the foot work.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Well all that is nice and all but no one still doesnt know how will the digigrated legs will affect the foot work.
True...but it's not like a new werewolf is going to lock themselves away to do secret martial arts training before they ever run into a troublesome situation where they need to fight.

Whether or not it would work well, I think a trained fighter would try to use what they allready know, and untrained fighers would just go Brutal.

A unique style created just for werewolves would be the most effective...but who on earth would TEACH that to them. I find it hard to imagine that there would be a secret, underground, Lycantropes-only Martial-Arts Dojo somewhere.

...so...
"How a Werewolf would fight":

What they allready know (as a human) + Instinct/Claws/Teeth + (A little "trial and error") = How they would fight.

Unless there was a world Werewolf Counsil regulating what fighting styles are taught to werewolves, I think they would all fight like...themselves. I don't see any one style being more commonly used than the other. (Excluding only "Tooth and Claw", which Everyone would use to a greater or lesser extent.)

One can only use what they have and what they know.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Thats true, I usually like to use kicks in fighting. I just thought that it would be kinda hard trying to do a round kick on paws.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

It doesen't affact the footwork much, Shadow Wulf. Especially in roundkick techniques the heel of the foot doesn't touch the ground. In combat the heel touches the ground very seldom while applying a kick. :wink: So it doesn't matter whether you stay plantigrade or digitigrade.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I beleive your thinking of the roundhouse, where you do a full 360 degrees and then a kick, I meant a roundkick where you just take the leg behind you and do a kick, when doing regular kicks your whole foot has to be flat on the ground and it must face the oppisote direction from where your facing. I figured cause of that, a werewolf thats on his paws which is like the toes, would have some trouble balancing.
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I beleive your thinking of the roundhouse, where you do a full 360 degrees and then a kick, I meant a roundkick where you just take the leg behind you and do a kick, when doing regular kicks your whole foot has to be flat on the ground and it must face the oppisote direction from where your facing. I figured cause of that, a werewolf thats on his paws which is like the toes, would have some trouble balancing.
Well, why don't you test it then? You seem to know how this kick is done...so try doing it on the balls of your feet, with your heels off the ground. Try it multiple times so you can get the hang of it, and let us know how it turns out.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

Yes I think. I don't know how it is calles in english. I only know the korean notions of those. I think it is only a question of balance and practice. ;-)
Homo lupo lupus est.
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

I think they would "sting like a bee and fly like butterfly" :punishment:
dnl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by dnl »

roundhouse I agree with Curan I personly have always used a digitigrade stance. In Capoeira they dont use there heels to much. I found it some what painfull kick on the back of my foot. Shadow Wulf are you part of a martail art if so which one...Karate,judo,aikido,hakke-sho,hika-ken,tea kwon do,and so on..I really wanted to join a Capoeira place that just opend in Putnam.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

dnl wrote:I think they would "sting like a bee and fly like butterfly" :punishment:
That's "Float like a Butterfly...Sting Like a Bee". :fishtoss:
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

In pure wolf form, yeah, there's restricted movement, because a wolf's legs are adapted to pretty much locomotion. They can outrun a deer, 40 miles per at a sprint, that's almost as fast as a racing Thoroughbred horse. With specialization comes limitations as any cheetah can tell you. Humans can't do that but they can stalk and twist their bodies into astounding configurations. "Rubber people" in carnivals are really the most common of "freaks," most humans can do things like that if they train, practice regularly and keep it alive. We're also the only known mammal that can stand on one leg indefinitely (yes, I know birds routinely do that — birds aren't mammals). Can a wolf do something like the yoga position called "The Cow's Face" or "The Eagle?" No, because they're specialized for running fast and cracking bones with their jaws, not twisting themselves into knots or balancing on one foot.

Werewolves are like humans, yes. But not all humans know kung fu, tai chi, savatte, capoeira, et alia. So yeah, I think there'd definitely be a werewolf fighting style but it would be done by practitioners who took the time and effort to learn and master and develop it. It'd be like the one guy in your circle who does martial arts, one member of the pack can do this specialized werewolf fighting style: basically, he'd be the knight or the picador, the guy who the rest of the pack won't tangle with and who comes in to whup a** when they're up against a foe who can best the rest of them.
ImageImageImageImage
dnl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by dnl »

True Tech takes times to gain. A friend and I are always in arguments about who's better i took Karate four or five years ago I kept at it at home but she is a black belt. so we both are about equile unless you consider her weaker becouse she a girl but that is a narrow view. and Sorry about the "Float like a Butterfly...Sting Like a Bee"
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

dnl wrote:... and Sorry about the "Float like a Butterfly...Sting Like a Bee"

No worries... just messing with you.

I'm not sure if I have it exactly right either... Image
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Only best image of a werewolf doing a roundhouse. But it's not even a back roundhouse. x_x
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

Hmmhh ... unfortunately the image link is broken. :(
But think about the damage the claws of the werewolf's hintlegs could cause. Yeah they would rip deep, long wounds into their victim's flesh. :x
Homo lupo lupus est.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Curan wrote:But think about the damage the claws of the werewolf's hintlegs could cause. Yeah they would rip deep, long wounds into their victim's flesh. :x
Actually, they would probably just leave a long, nasty scratch. Painful but not deep. The dulling of the claws from walking on them wouldn't allow them to be sharp enough to cut a deep wound. Hence why cats and velociraptors keep theirs off the ground.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:
Curan wrote:But think about the damage the claws of the werewolf's hintlegs could cause. Yeah they would rip deep, long wounds into their victim's flesh. :x
Actually, they would probably just leave a long, nasty scratch. Painful but not deep. The dulling of the claws from walking on them wouldn't allow them to be sharp enough to cut a deep wound. Hence why cats and velociraptors keep theirs off the ground.
I agree with Set about the hindpaws. In most cases, the hindpaws would only leave a scratch.

However, I think that if a werewolf used A LOT of force when injuring someone with his hindclaws (not necessarily in a kick), then the wounds would be substantially deeper.

However, with the claws that are on his hands, I think werewolves would probably be able to do A LOT of damage easily...since they would be sharp because the werewolf hasn't walked on them (and even more so if he has shifted recently).
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

But you all have to remember that a kick is 10 times stronger than a punch, even if the claws on the paws isnt that sharp, the force of the kick can leave just as much damage as that of a regualr claw attack with the hands.
Image Image
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

Shadow Wulf wrote:But you all have to remember that a kick is 10 times stronger than a punch, even if the claws on the paws isnt that sharp, the force of the kick can leave just as much damage as that of a regualr claw attack with the hands.
Yes, that's exactly the point. A kick from a werewolf would be so powerfull that the bluntest claw would rip very ugly deep wounds.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Curan wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:But you all have to remember that a kick is 10 times stronger than a punch, even if the claws on the paws isnt that sharp, the force of the kick can leave just as much damage as that of a regualr claw attack with the hands.
Yes, that's exactly the point. A kick from a werewolf would be so powerfull that the bluntest claw would rip very ugly deep wounds.

Somehow I doubt that the claws would be at just the right angle for that to work out. I mean, I don't think anyone kicks in such a way that their toes and toenails would be the part of the foot facing into the victim's body. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Now...if the claws were somehow situated on the balls of the feet...that'd be another story. While they might not rip and tear long wounds, they would sure as heck make some nice punctures.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:I mean, I don't think anyone kicks in such a way that their toes and toenails would be the part of the foot facing into the victim's body.
Oh good heavens no! That's a quick way of getting yourself hurt. In my Tang Soo Do class we strike with the ball of the foot, the knife edge, or the heel. Anything else is likely to break something. I don't mean a board, either.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Renorei wrote:Somehow I doubt that the claws would be at just the right angle for that to work out. I mean, I don't think anyone kicks in such a way that their toes and toenails would be the part of the foot facing into the victim's body. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Now...if the claws were somehow situated on the balls of the feet...that'd be another story. While they might not rip and tear long wounds, they would sure as heck make some nice punctures.
oh I know that, I took Tae kwan Do class a few years ago, but I was just point out that you can have a dull object and stab someone real deep if put enough force into it, now if a werewolf were to do a roundhouse, it can still have a good chance of striking the person with the claws cause when your doing a round house your basicly swiping your feet across the persons face and sense a werewolfs claws are suppose to be long, even though its not sharp it can easily come in contact with the face and thus leaving an ugly scar.
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Shadow Wulf, do you have any idea just how delicate nails are?

Sure...if you put enough force behind it a blunt object can go through something. Tornadoes have repeatedly sent pine straw through car tires, but you wouldn't use it as a weapon would you?

Any such attempt by a werewolf to do that would either break or tear the nails clean off. They're brittle, fragile things. Human fingernails are always prone to snapping, my dogs have ripped theirs off more than once, and even my horses' hooves split and break from time to time.

It would be useless to try and use the claws on the feet for that. Even if they don't break, there's still a danger of having them get stuck in whoever's being kicked. That would give them a wonderful opportunity to rip off the were's leg and beat them with it. Or snap it in two.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Set wrote: It would be useless to try and use the claws on the feet for that. Even if they don't break, there's still a danger of having them get stuck in whoever's being kicked. That would give them a wonderful opportunity to rip off the were's leg and beat them with it. Or snap it in two.
Listen to yourself, if someone has a 2in nail stuck to thier head do you think they would try to get the foot off, and plus the werewolf should have more than enough force to get it unstuck. Its not like the meat and veins are gonna hold all that werewolf muscle from moving, and true thiers the bones but come on its not gonna get stuck bad in thier, if the claws made the wholes then the whoels should be big enough to have the claws get out. And by the way the Tornado kick you use top part of the foot.
Image Image