What would happen if...(internal foreign objects in TF)

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

What would happen if...(internal foreign objects in TF)

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

A person who had a metal rod fused to their spine(cures scoilliosis) was bitten by a werewolf???
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

In case you did not know

Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I almost just want to say "they're screwed."

With the changing and twisting taking place in the spine, I can't imagine a rod or disk staying in place on the morphing werewolf body. I can't imagine most any form of implant sticking to a werewolf after a shift.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I would imagine that, along with any other significant artificial surgical implant, such a thing would most surely result in massive complications, including but not limited to:

* Severe Disfigurement
* Loss of limbs
* Paralysis,
* Crippling internal injury
* And/or DEATH.

In other words...I see no good coming out of it.
(Unless it is the Marvel Universe, in which case the werewolf would probably absorb it and fuse it with their bones, making them even MORE powerful, the way Logan formed claws out of the Adamantium implanted in his body because of being a mutant)

I guess it really depends on whether the Transformation is Mostly biological, or more magical as well. A magical transformation might manipulate the implant and form it with the body, or just eliminate or eject it entirely.

Overall though, my intuition says it would result in something gruesome and painful. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Journal of Orthopedic Lycanthropology, Chapter 11, Section 8

Post by Scott Gardener »

The question of orthopedic hardware and lycanthropy has crossed my mind, particularly since my wife Cathey now has an artificial right hip.

In magical lycanthropy, all bets are off. I imagine most interpretations would make the hardware disappear in wolf form and reappear in human form, the way clothing does in some more badly done interpretations.

But, in biological lycanthropy, you get a horrific mess. The hardware would be rejected, and the body would try to regenerate around it.

In my own storyline, being afflicted with lycanthropy and having existing hardware warrants urgent removal before the first shift. Someone about to shift with hardware has a surgical emergency. Peripheral implants such as hips, knees, and shoulders would render a limb deformed and unusable plus filled with pain until the hardware was removed. Afterwards, a good orthopedist armed with knowledge that becomes available after 2020 can use bone grafts, or after 2030 stem cells along-side the lycanthrope's existing regenerative abilities to reconstruct a functional, natural limb. Spinal implants such as plates and screws for degenerative disc disease, or the before-mentioned rod to correct scoliosis, would require more extensive work. Someone with that kind of implant would be paralyzed until 2030s New Technology nanosurgery becomes available to go through the exhaustive process of removing the parts and realigning perhaps a billion microscopic nerve endings inside an organism that wants to regenerate but shifts into different forms.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

The metal rod is fused to the spine...
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Don't even want to think about it... Actually, I don't even want to think of what it would be like to have part of your body be unnatural as a human. I suppose I'd go through with it if I needed it, but if there was an alternative...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

My only advice for you:

Don't become a werewolf.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

As a polyanthrope, you'd best avoid them sticks. If a newly-affected polyanthrope already has it, best get a friend call a team of surgeons that's familiar with this kind of scenario so they can take off the stick, reset the bones, and let the regenerative attributes do the rest of the dirty work.

If there's no such team... Well, i dunno what to say.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I'll just quote myself from your intro thread.
I imagine that if someone were to transform when they have any kind of unnatural materials inside them, would cause serious damage. In some discussions we agreed that not everyone can survive their first transformation into a werewolf. An older person's heart could give out, or a frail person could be done in by the mucsle spasms. If a person were to have screws in their knee from a previous injury, those screws wont transform with the person. Ouch.

It's all fiction anyways, so depending on the world you read or write about, it can always be different. Around here, most Pack members seem to prefer the more scientific approch to werewolves. There is also the magic variety, that transform without any nasty bone crunching and screaming. *Poof* Werewolf.
:D
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

We talked about this before on another thread and the comments here are pretty much what was said last time too. Desn't seem to be a happy ending to this one.

There was, however, one comment that I liked.....just 'cause it allowed for a happy ending. If you are a Were, then you will have pretty good regeneration. correct? Therefore, most diseases, deformaties and degenerative diseases would be pretty much eliminated by the TF form. This does't include birth-defects, or congenital defects, because the body considers them normal. SO - if you knew you were going to be TFing, you'd get the implant removed and let the the TF do its thing.

Sounds like a great way to take care of some physical problems - but is it plausable? Feedback?
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

I have a titanium rod that is fusing to my spinal cord... ... ...

This is what put the thought in my head. If it was completely fused I doubt it could be removed...

How come nobody suggests finding someone with the power to manipulate matter...?
Using hidden energy locked within the untapped potential of the mind.
Someone who uses a large percentage of their brain.

I heard energy could not be created or destroyed but only changed.

Just more random thoughts.
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

You aren't good Were' potential material. Please be careful to have proper Identification detailing the implant, so you won't be bitten or Crossed Over some other way.
Crossing Over (becoming Were') is not for you. Sorry; but becoming a Werewolf is not the cure for every problem, or every illness.
Just most problems and illnesses. :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

So what about the person who can manipulate matter with their mind?
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Lycanization won't cure that. It will make it more fun, though...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

RedEye wrote:Lycanization won't cure that. It will make it more fun, though...
No I mean where is the person who can manipulate the metal rod and break down its mollecular structure with their mind. Allowing someone else to be able to shapeshift physically. The metal rod is the cure and person who can manipulate the metal rod and break down its mollecular structure with their mind, is the cure for the metal rod.
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

So matter manipulation + titanium + lycanthropy = Ultimate Werewolf=P

Move the matter to the fangs and claws... ... ... ... ... ... ...

All you would need was a character using 100 percent of their brain<<
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Now would be a good time to point out that humans do use 100% of their brain. That we don't is false.

As for my reaction to the whole "matter manipulation" thing, see my avatar. Which, really, is just my reaction to you in general. Something about you doesn't sit right with me.
Last edited by Set on Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I don't understand where "manipulating matter with your mind" comes in, save that it's actually impossible for the human mind to encompass the complexity requires to perceive the atoms in a metal rod, let alone act on them.

Now, magic? Well, that's another story. I guess you could, but if you're smart you'd just get some damn surgery and let the polyanthrophy cure the rest.

By the way, there are no molecules in a metal rod. It's just a giant wad of atoms. Like a salt.
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary

Set wrote:Now would be a good time to point out that humans do use 100% of their brain. That we don't is false.

As for my reaction to the whole "matter manipulation" thing, see my avatar. Which, really, is just my reaction to you in general. Something about you doesn't sit right with me.
I am sorry I guess that got a little too fictional...
And I was told people do not use 100% of their brain from an outside party.
I have aspergers autism which may be misinterpreted as something that does not sit right...(I have difficulty communcating socially)
I am sorry if I have upset you...
Maybe I am wrong...

Photo Manipulation by Z
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Lycanthropy and contemporary orthopedics seem to be at odds with each other, but if one takes a magic approach (be it fantasy magic or magic based on contemporary philosophies of visualization, such as that espoused by followers of Rhonda Byrne's The Secret and the "Law of Attraction"), current assumptions might not be the case afterall. Or, if one takes a hard science objectivist angle, but fudges enough to recognize lycanthropy itself as a possibility, there's always future technologies such as cybernetics or nanomolecular surgery. Lycanthropy itself could be made possible through a very complicated nanosurgery--one might suggest that the lycanthrope "virus" many of us picture is more a nanite surgical robot that self-replicates and in the process edits and revises a host organism. If one can build such a thing, overcoming all the other obstacles along the way, such as redesigning a brain so that it can fit in a wolf's skull without permanantly losing anything important, figuring out what to do with primitive turn-of-the-millennium pre-cybernetic body implants shouldn't be that hard.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I was thinking about something...
I read in an earlier post about the body recognizing what's right from what's wrong...
Well and this is just an idea but, what if, during the transformation, the body would allow parts of the bone the metal rods attached to, to break and then heal them? Given, you'd have to explain to your doctor why the metal rod he inserted in now floating around inside your skin, but something tells me the metal rod wouldn't cause any damage, and i have to think here, my reasoning has something to do with the way the bones are already recreating themselves. (If the metal rod wouldn't move or change with the transformation, wouldn't the werewolf be strong enough to break part of his spine, along the part where the rod is, not the entire thing mind you, so that the rod wouldn't bend him in half backwards?)
I can't think of what i mean, which happens a lot to me.
If the idea doesn't work well for you or anyone else for that matter, I'd take Redeyes advice: don't become a werewolf.
(Sorry.)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

cumulusprotagonist wrote: I have aspergers autism which may be misinterpreted as something that does not sit right...(I have difficulty communcating socially)
No sweat, I also have aspergers, which explains why some of my posts are kinda awkward.
Last edited by Dreamer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XIV
Harry_Osborn
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Your Friendly Neighborhood Mad Scientist

Post by Harry_Osborn »

Vuldari wrote:I would imagine that, along with any other significant artificial surgical implant, such a thing would most surely result in massive complications, including but not limited to:

* Severe Disfigurement
* Loss of limbs
* Paralysis,
* Crippling internal injury
* And/or DEATH.

In other words...I see no good coming out of it.
(Unless it is the Marvel Universe, in which case the werewolf would probably absorb it and fuse it with their bones, making them even MORE powerful, the way Logan formed claws out of the Adamantium implanted in his body because of being a mutant)

I guess it really depends on whether the Transformation is Mostly biological, or more magical as well. A magical transformation might manipulate the implant and form it with the body, or just eliminate or eject it entirely.

Overall though, my intuition says it would result in something gruesome and painful. Image
But Logan originally had the healing ability. Hence why if it did do any injury it most likely wouldn't matter. But now you want to make me go read my X-Men encyclopedia to figure out how exactly it did fuse with his bones. (yes if you can't tell by my name I'm a Marvel freak)

Anyhow yeah for a regular human it would not be good. Painful! Eeeppp. Sorry I'm not of much help... Maybe since their bones get shifted so many odd directions in transformation they would not have the problem of the curvature when they turn back. I don't know, if that is the case however they would have to deal with the metal. Surgically get it removed.
"We are the architect of our own demise."

~Me (Andy Davis)
bar1scorpio
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Sierra Mist Abuser

Post by bar1scorpio »

Possibly very ugly incident (at the time. Said lycan would probably chuckle about it later.) . The radical shifting internally would first displace it, and with the metal rod recognized as a foreign body, the tissues would 'spit it out' during the first full transformation as part of the regenerative process. The regenerative process still keeps hold after reverting back to normal, so the werewolf might see their condition cured.

Which would make werewolves valuable test subjects for medical science.
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" - Robert Heinlein

"The World Will Be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead