What would werewolves think of therianthropes??

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

For the record I do not group therians with any of these. They are a fan group as far as I am concerned nothing more.

But when it comes to mythology I am a nitpicker. But don't require modern fiction to obey them (if it did we would never have had wolfman or dracula to start with)
Going from guy puts on magic ointment and becomes wolf to turning into a man-beast at the full-moon
and Going from walking peasent corpse that sucks blood from finger tips and lips over many nights to cause a slow death to noble undead heart throb.

We like to re-use old ideas and combine new concepts to make entirely new creatures.
which is why we invented adjectives
Vampyre= Traditional Vampire, Dracula=Classical Vampire

Wurwolf=Folk Lore Werewolf, Wolfman=Hollywood werewolf.

and that's the end of it as far as terms and such go for monsters. Creative license doesn't mean we forget them, we just like to make changes so they continue to sell to modern audiences, would be boring if they were all exactly the same as their ancient counter-parts.

But in all wasn't this thread supposed to be about what might a werewolf think of a hardcore imitation prone fan?

Easy solution, ask William Shatner how he feels about trekkies into cosplay and roleplaying star trek.

There I started the topic back on track on a new page. So on we go back where its supposed to be.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

*nods* I can understand the mythology thing. The only point I was trying to make (back then when I first made the argument, and with Vuldari now) is that, while mythology may be influenced by real life, it's predominantly a human element, so God only knows how much truth there is to which legends. They could be 100% accurate to total crap and anywhere in between. :P
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Vuldari said he was leaving in a different thread. I think you scared him away...Unless it was a bluff

Thus you should stop the arguement and get back on topic!!!
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Terastas wrote:*nods* I can understand the mythology thing. The only point I was trying to make (back then when I first made the argument, and with Vuldari now) is that, while mythology may be influenced by real life, it's predominantly a human element, so God only knows how much truth there is to which legends. They could be 100% accurate to total crap and anywhere in between. :P
and I don't care how much of the myth is real or not. Its a story, a fun story nothing more.
Arguing over what elements of it are even partially true or should influence future uses of the thing (especially after I already pointed out that no two legends of the same thing are exactly alike anyways) are silly and insane.

Now back to what might someone who becomes (any type of werewolf) think of its world's equivalent of trekkies.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:Vuldari said he was leaving in a different thread. I think you scared him away...Unless it was a bluff

That's what eventually happens whenever people paint themselves as the victim of an entire message board, but I seriously doubt Vuldari's gone for good (he'll probably have read this post before you did). I've seen people post public temper tantrums about how they're leaving because everybody sucks before, and they typically only stay gone for a week, or stick around for a few more days to flame anyone that doesn't respond with something other than "please don't go!"
Rhuen wrote:and I don't care how much of the myth is real or not. Its a story, a fun story nothing more.
Arguing over what elements of it are even partially true or should influence future uses of the thing (especially after I already pointed out that no two legends of the same thing are exactly alike anyways) are silly and insane.

Now back to what might someone who becomes (any type of werewolf) think of its world's equivalent of trekkies.
*nods* Yeah, I know. A big underlying theme of the stuff I'm writing though is that just because something is written doesn't necessarily mean it's true, so I really like to play around with myths, legends and the like.

I don't know if comparing Trekkies to Therians would be entirely accurate though. The thing about Trekkies is that they base their fandom, not on aliens and space exploration in general, but on one specific artistic rendition of aliens and space exploration. Star Trek never makes any mention, for example, of Roswell or Area 51, nor does it ever state much about unknown life or UFOs.

Legends of werewolves, on the other hand, date back to medieval times, so there's no guarantee if it's truth, fiction, or a blend of the two. Since there are countless stories and even more possible interpretations, "werewolf trekkies" are just as diverse in belief and nature. Werewolves would probably think of "therians" as a large encompassing term and have other pet names for the different kinds of therians that pop up within the community.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

Terastas wrote:
cumulusprotagonist wrote:Vuldari said he was leaving in a different thread. I think you scared him away...Unless it was a bluff

That's what eventually happens whenever people paint themselves as the victim of an entire message board, but I seriously doubt Vuldari's gone for good (he'll probably have read this post before you did). I've seen people post public temper tantrums about how they're leaving because everybody sucks before, and they typically only stay gone for a week, or stick around for a few more days to flame anyone that doesn't respond with something other than "please don't go!"
i really doubt thats the reason he left, thats not his style
by the way, he didn't read this post, remember? he said he had is ip temporarily banned from this site until he feels he can fix his life up
i highly doubt vuldrai was trying to throe a temperament or anything like that, but you may think what ever you want
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

I agree with Lukas that the argument was clearly not the reason he left, and I think it's disrespectful of you to be insulting him (still!) behind his back... Not that it wasn't when you were doing it before, especially since I saw nothing to suggest that he had done the same. You clearly didn't even read Vuldari's thread about WHY he left. Leave him alone now, before Fig makes good on his threat to lock the thread.

I also agree with Cumulus: Let's get back on track.

EDIT: Should have visited the Vuldari thread first... Sorry about that, I see that you read the thread hours before I posted this.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

Terastas wrote:

Rhuen wrote:and I don't care how much of the myth is real or not. Its a story, a fun story nothing more.

*nods* Yeah, I know. A big underlying theme of the stuff I'm writing though is that just because something is written doesn't necessarily mean it's true, so I really like to play around with myths, legends and the like.

I don't know if comparing Trekkies to Therians would be entirely accurate though. The thing about Trekkies is that they base their fandom, not on aliens and space exploration in general, but on one specific artistic rendition of aliens and space exploration. Star Trek never makes any mention, for example, of Roswell or Area 51, nor does it ever state much about unknown life or UFOs.

Legends of werewolves, on the other hand, date back to medieval times, so there's no guarantee if it's truth, fiction, or a blend of the two. Since there are countless stories and even more possible interpretations, "werewolf trekkies" are just as diverse in belief and nature. Werewolves would probably think of "therians" as a large encompassing term and have other pet names for the different kinds of therians that pop up within the community.
Actually Star trek deep space nine has a time travel episode where Quark and his brother and the kid ferangie (don't really watch the show so not sure on names) and Odo the changling were at Roswel and responsible for the crash story.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

so gentlemen, peace or war?
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Ah. I hadn't seen that one. Still, most Trekkies are more interested in being Klingons or Romulans than trying to contact them. In this case, a better comparison to the therians in question would be, say, fans of The X-Files, because the great majority of the content in that show was conspiracy theory, so the ratio of fans that considered it based on truth or fiction may be about the same among therians.

EDIT: Lukas, that gif image is going to be murder on anyone with a slow connection. Think you could edit in a smaller version?
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Futurama had an episode very similar to that premise... Basically it ended with Fry being his own grandfather and the Planet Express ship blowing up a lot of military buildings.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rhuen »

ravaged_warrior wrote:Futurama had an episode very similar to that premise... Basically it ended with Fry being his own grandfather and the Planet Express ship blowing up a lot of military buildings.
I think most sci-fi shows are obligated to do one.
Honestly I am surprised Star Gate never did one, especially with how many time travel episodes they have done, and they even mentioned the Asgard looking like the roswell greys a few times and have Area 51 as a recuring feature on the show.

even the short lived Tripping the Rift did a Roswell episode.
Distorted Realism
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Thinking with portals

Post by Distorted Realism »

i think i moght try yo shy away from therianthropy from now on... :splodey:
If sleep is an escape for us, than we are all cowards. We spend one third of our life trying to get away...
-The Dark Dimension
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Distorted Realism wrote:i think i moght try yo shy away from therianthropy from now on... :splodey:
Did this nightmare of a thread really need to be resurrected just for that?

Was that statement necessary? Was it even relevant?

Hell, was it even coherent?

*grumbles* Damn necromancers. . .
lycan94
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What would werewolves think of therianthropes??

Post by lycan94 »

One word answers the titular question:
LUNCH!
Death is the final reminder of our own mortality.
When all my ennimies die, I hope i have the strength to spit on their graves or the money to pay someone to do it for me
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Re:

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Terastas wrote:
Distorted Realism wrote:i think i moght try yo shy away from therianthropy from now on... :splodey:
Did this nightmare of a thread really need to be resurrected just for that?

Was that statement necessary? Was it even relevant?

Hell, was it even coherent?

*grumbles* Damn necromancers. . .
:roflmao: The link... :roflmao: :roflmao:
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)