Telepathy

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Well I can say that what I watched last night went beyond from werewolf to demon.

Saiyuki Reload Gunlock vol.7. The character Hazel was a man out to wipe out all demons on Earth, what he didn't know was that a spirit being had altered his memories as a child and was containing his own inner demon. He had been cursed back in Europe by a werewolf demon as a child for leading hunters to its den. He had gone out and killed many other werewolves after that, (they never call them that, and it comes across that that's just what European demons are in this world) At the end though the spirit has used up all its power and dies releasing his inner demon, his own over zeolist use of the spirit's power to hunt demons had exhausted its powers.
His transformed state though goes over the line of being a werewolf, with the only signs being the flashbacks and the spots of fur here and there and the wolf claws. His arms become giant muscle tenticles and he grows angel wings that shoot poison quills, he has a werewolf growl and glowing eyes though.

Like its been said anime fantasy worlds go to a point that in order for a werewolf to be taken as a real enemy it has to go beyond being a werewolf.
its all context, the werewolf we see as a werewolf only really works with just its werewolf abilities in a world where its the either the only type of monster around, or there are only a few types of monsters and not very strong ones.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

For me it boils down to two things. Magic or natural weres?

If it's natural, then I don't see telepathy working. It takes things too far to be able to say "it could happen.....".

However, if it's magical weres, then anything's possible. They can signal each other through the stratosphere and tap dance on the moon if the magical rules for that particular world work that way.

Now, I WILL say that I've often wondered if dogs are telepathic, and I mean really. If they are, then I guess weres could be too.

So what am I saying? I think logically it could go....but I'm uncomfortable with it.
chubhound
Legendary
Legendary

Post by chubhound »

Silver wrote:For me it boils down to two things. Magic or natural weres?
BINGO!!That's EXACTLY how I look at it!!
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Silver
Its magical were's. Don't like the science stuff. Gets to complecated. (Or stupid. "Uh-Oh, i'm a virus were, and my medicine kills virus's. I'm human again" sorta thing. Doubt that would happen. But anytime you add science to something, it just sounds like a lecture in how much the movie makers know. No offense to anyone by the way.)
Rhuen
My werewolves are a sorceress, a half dragon half werewolf, a demon hunter, and the spirit of Dark. They can change their forms, but the form they like best, and the form that is their natural one, is a werewolf. (Stands upright like a human, speaks {prepare for this} english without the growls and stuff, weilds swords etc. ) I just don't like the hulking beasts that lurk in alleys and cemetarys. Difference of oppinion.
Please continue. (He needs to read the rest of posts. Right now, he can't.)
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

*sigh* Every time I come in this forum I want to post but everybody has already said everything there is to say and in such lengthy detail!

Ive read books with both telepathy and no telepathy and they both work. Mine don't personally use it. Though mine also don't have enhanced strength. They're just peaceful shapeshifters. (Or are they? Mwhahahaha!) Sorry. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

For most of the stories I can imagine it being used in, I'd say telepathy would be unnecessary. For a story you could tell with a telepathic werewolf... you could just about tell as well with a non-telepathic werewolf learning to pay more attention to non-verbal communication... scents, heart rates, body language, all things which are a bit far-fetched for a human (maybe even a wolf, for that matter) but which a character who is neither human nor wolf but something greater than both would be able to learn through experience.

Off-topic a bit... this wouldn't be the easiest thing to learn either. Having superhuman olfactory perception is one thing. Being able to use it properly is quite another. It's like how if a wolf got bitten by a werewolf, super-canine visual perception would take a long time to learn. Think of how long it takes a normal human to learn that odd-shaped squiggles on a sign are a form of communication, that each squiggle has a certain meaning, and how to put all that information together.

But, anyway... Generally, making characters learn something like this the hard way makes them more interesting characters.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Like the Point Midnight. In the first part of my story a werewolf is bitten, (in this case, the werewolf's power's were weakened to the point they can't change. That's why the bite.) And has to learn how to use the abilities. Like responses so far. Please continue.
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Weredragon511
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Weredragon511 »

i think that a werewolf can talk between themselves but they can't talk to other people who are non-werewolves. and they can't like control what the other werewolves are thinking and stuff
-->i'm not crazy i only pretend<--
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Actually, things like Telepathy and it's odd twin-Telempathy are only necessary for sense-deprived creatures like Smoothskin Humans.
Wolves, and by extension, Werewolves would have both scent and hearing as secondary communication systems.

Now, by hearing, I don't mean words-I mean sounds either too low or too high for humans to pick up on that Wolves can hear just fine, thank-you. Then there is scent...another system of communication that "nose-deaf" humans can't use very well.

I really don't think that Were's need extra-sensory capacities like telepathy. They already have them.

Okay--one exception: Mated Werewolves might have a "Mating Bond" that ties them together...but that's it.

At least-that's my take on it... :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.

Post by IndianaJones »

Did you know that Telepathy is Real?

Humans and non-humans have the ability to talk through people's mind without magic. It's more like a ability. But, it's rare to see humans with that kind of ability right now......
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I don't plan on believing telepathy until i meet the Sandman.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

kitetsu wrote:I don't plan on believing telepathy until i meet the Sandman.
Well, there was that one woman who could go into a trance and grow copper on her skin (I read about her in Ripleys, I've seen pictures of her with it growing on her skin and she's well and alive today). I really do think that science needs to be analyzing her DNA and what's really going on in her when she's in that trance.
XIV
Weredragon511
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Weredragon511 »

Sometime in my dreams i see the future and like the next day it happens and sometimes it happens like months ahead
-->i'm not crazy i only pretend<--
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Dreamer wrote:
Well, there was that one woman who could go into a trance and grow copper on her skin (I read about her in Ripleys, I've seen pictures of her with it growing on her skin and she's well and alive today). I really do think that science needs to be analyzing her DNA and what's really going on in her when she's in that trance.
That's not telepathy: that's a form of Psychokinesis, using her mind to manipulate matter. Telekinesis is a related Talent: only it works at a distance beyond the Talent's physical reach. Telepathy is mind-to-mind communication.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Hidden Archer
Mood: Excited

Post by Black Claw »

I think if you have a connection to that personal connection (boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.) you will be able to use telepathy for communication and even see what they are going through or if they are not tamed, see what is causing them to be aggressive, etc. But that's my opinion. :howl:  :oo
I am the guardian of the light and darkness,
I am the one who whispers in the dark,
I am the eyes of your soul,
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
That's not telepathy: that's a form of Psychokinesis, using her mind to manipulate matter. Telekinesis is a related Talent: only it works at a distance beyond the Talent's physical reach. Telepathy is mind-to-mind communication.
Anyone know that woman's name though? I can't find anything on her on the internet.

By the way, I was kinda wondering if anyone here beleives in telekenesis? I've been readign this book on paranormal phenomena and it mentions that there have been government studies done on it, and although the results were little they were beyond the realm of random chance. I'm skeptical of this, aminly because it's probably talkign about theoretical chance, which real results don't always match. Like if you flip a coin 50 times it's not goign to be 25 heads and 25 tails. Same with this

But what do you think?
XIV
Night_Hunter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: My cross to bare

Post by Night_Hunter »

yes (interesting fact here______________________)
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU HAVE RABIES TOO ?!!?

Read my stuff at:
http://nightfiction.blogspot.com/
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

fricken sweet, that brightened my day. :D
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Black Claw wrote:I think if you have a connection to that personal connection (boyfriend, girlfriend, etc.) you will be able to use telepathy for communication and even see what they are going through or if they are not tamed, see what is causing them to be aggressive, etc. But that's my opinion. :howl:  :oo
That's empathy. It's one thing to read one's facial expressions and body language and determine what they are thinking, or to predict what someone will say or do based on previous patterns of behavior you have identified in them. It's an entirely different thing, however, to actually read someone's thoughts word for word.

"Telepathy" also implies, not just an ability to read another's thoughts, but to relay their own thoughts as well. Empathy is one thing, but telepathy to me is just a cheap plot device, even when magic is already involved.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Once again, we're dealing with a nominative scieince* when we talk about Psi capabilities.
There is just enough documented evidence to prevent dismissing the whole thing as just wishful thinking, yet not enough to give Psionics a serious foundation. What has been proven is that there is something there, but we don't really know what it is--yet.

Let me ask a serious question: WHY would a Werewolf need a psychic ability? Outside of the occasional odd lot, what would cause a psychic anything to evolve in Werewolves, outside of the magic/curse situation? :?

*Nominative Sciences are also called the 'soft sciences". They are represented by such things as Psychology, Philosophy, and Anthropology.
No formulae; just method.
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Claw »

No Tereastas not body language i mean real telekinesis, able to read thoughts without talking moving or showing any signs of what you refer to. Just plain old mindreading werewolf style. This is my two main characters talk while he's a werewolf and she's a human later turned _____ (you'll find out later). He then learns to talk to people through telekinesis. :howl:  :oo
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Black Claw wrote: He then learns to talk to people through telekinesis. :howl:  :oo
Tele KINESIS? You mean he throws letters at people with his mind? Writes on walls three rooms away with a mental sharpie?

Are you sure you don't mean Telepathy? Mind-to-mind jabbering? Mental texting? :?
Black Claw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Claw »

No, talking telekinesis, similar to mind control except no controlling just having a conversation with that person. :howl:  :oo
I am the shield,
I am the sword.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Tele-pathy: Mental communnication, either by images, words, or complete thought structures.
Tele-Empathy: Mental communication by means of emotional feelings and attached imagry. (Alt) Being able to sense or control emotions in another.
Tele-Kinesis: Physical movement of objects outside of the TK's physical reach...such as being able to pick up an object across a room or out of sight of the Telekinetist.
Psycho-Kinesis: the ability to change the physical nature, shape, or structure of an object in contact with the PsychoKinteicist. *

What you are referring to "similar to mind controlexcept no controlling just having a converstion with that person": is Tele-Pathy. Mental Communication...call it what you will, but Please; be accurate to the definition!

*J.B. Rhine, Ph.D; in "Mental abilities and capacities of twenty test subjects"; a paper delivered at Duke University in 1963. It started the actual scienitific investigation of Extra-Sensory Perception, and coined the word "Psi" as a nominative for Psychic abilities...since the greek letter PSI was used as the identifier instead of the subject's actual names.