Eye Color

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Eye Color

Post by Silverclaw »

Dont know if we talked about this yet or not...
Anywho, do you think all werewolves(shifted) would have golden/yellow eyes? Would their be wws with brown/green/hazel/blue/black eyes or whatever?(in gestalt/wolf form)

If some shift to their ww form, would their be any determining factor that has one individual keep their human colored eyes in ww form and then another werewolf have golden wolf colored eyes?

And lastley, would some/all wws have golden eyes in human form after their first shift?
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

ok, what I think is that they keep their original eye color, however if you shine a light in their eyes it's becomes tinted yellow, just like if you shine a light into an alligators eyes it shines red.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

Personally, I don't think all werewolves would have the same colored eyes. Much like dogs, they can have different colored eyes. Huskies and Australian Shepherds are known to have blue eyes, brown eyes, one blue and one brown eye, or an eye with both blue and brown in it!

So, like humans, wolves can have different colored eyes. Therefore, it would make sense that a human has green eyes, when he shifted, the wolf could have green eyes as well. The only color I don't think werewolves would show well is brown. I think that because I never see wolves with a true brown eye, usually they are more golden, you are more likely to see that person's eye become golden brown.

Ok, wait... now because I'm thinking as I type in true stream of consciousness, it would make more sense if that golden color in a wolves eyes became adapted to the werewolves eye color. In other words, a werewolves eyes would have the original coloring of the human's eyes but also be more golden than normal.

As for eye color after the first shift? Perhaps it changes from the werewolf color to the human color slowly, over time. I can't decide on this one.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

Since I have seen normal ( I think...) wolves with what appear to be gold colored eyes, I'd agree with Fenrir: They have the same color eyes as Wulfen that they do as Smoothskin Humans. The gold is most likely either a reflective layer in their eyes, like cats have; or- it's the color their irises reflect, like some light blue eyed Wolves reflect silver under artificial light.

Some Humans have yellow in their eyes, combined with blue. Their eyes at a distance look green, but up close they're streaked blue/yellow.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Hmmm...I think werewolves would retain their eye color but then again how are we to know?

On another note, we should really ask what advantage would they have if their eyes stayed the same. What advantages would they gain if their eyes changed? To be honest, I think the eyes would change only if needed be. Meaning if their human eyes weren't already wolf enhanced they wouldn't need them to shift. Put the fact that they are part wolf, and they should have things that wolves have developed over time, to help them or adapt in the wild.

I think I just went on a rant...if no one understands...I'll try to clarify.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

If werewolves are just going to have yellow eyes, then it's going to be a giveaway deader than a dead horse.

You can probably say the same with red/purple/pale gray/orange eyes, but IMO it beats the hell out of yellowirisitis.
Absolute Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Absolute Wolf »

I think that werewolves would have the same eye color as in human form,yet with a few modifications.Their eye color would be a bit brighter,sharper then in human form.
If the person in human form possessed brown or yellow eyes,then he/she might have golden colored eyes when ww.
WW would probably have the same eye color scale as wolves (more or less).
I doubt that humans would permanently change their eye color after any change.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Wolves don't have varying eye color. Their eyes are shades of yellow to honey-brown unless they're albino or blind.

I think that in gestalt they should be mostly yellow with maybe a tint of their human eyecolor.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Wolves can have blue eyes, but it's uncommon.

Right now what seems to make the most sense is the "blending colors" definition. There would have to be some changes in the eyes if we're assuming they have that fabled werewolf vision, but it would be unrealistic to have a complete change like that. Plus, from an artistic standpoint, differing eye colors would suffice to give the audience one more way of distinguishing the different members of a pack from one another, which in turn would make them more believable as characters.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Silverclaw has pritty BLUE eyes. :puppyeyes:

It has to stay the same. Eye pigment isn't something that can change in a day, much less a few seconds. The pigmentation of the iris is a permanent color. Babys are sometimes born with blue eyes, which can change green or brown over time. That's because the iris is growing over time, and the parts of the eye that are replaced during that time may not retain its color. For this process to happen in an adult is impossible, and to happen in just a few seconds... also impossible.

Science says no, but magic says yes. Depends on what storybook universe we're talking about.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
punxnotdead
Legendary
Legendary

Post by punxnotdead »

I think it should be a little bit of both as being half wolf and half man would give you and in the middle look. Sometimes I like to describe werewolves with yellow or some other coloured eyes
Smallville fan!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh

Post by RedEye »

PariahPoet wrote:Wolves don't have varying eye color. Their eyes are shades of yellow to honey-brown unless they're albino or blind.

I think that in gestalt they should be mostly yellow with maybe a tint of their human eyecolor.
I've seen Arctic wolves with light blue eyes. The Zoo caretaker explained it was an adaptation to the high levels of U.V. light in the arctic areas. The "blue" acts to reflect it and protect the eye.
Have you seen wolves with "Honey Brown" irises that have a ring of yellow around the outer edge of the iris? It's gorgeous! :D

At any rate, I suspect that a Werewolf would have the same colored eyes as Wulf as they would have as Human.
That might be a way of figuring out which wolf is a werewolf in a pack of wolves: Green or Hazel eyes aren't Wolf; they're Wulfen. Of course, that would get you rather close to their teeth... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Kaebora wrote:Silverclaw has pritty BLUE eyes. :puppyeyes:

It has to stay the same. Eye pigment isn't something that can change in a day, much less a few seconds. The pigmentation of the iris is a permanent color. Babys are sometimes born with blue eyes, which can change green or brown over time. That's because the iris is growing over time, and the parts of the eye that are replaced during that time may not retain its color. For this process to happen in an adult is impossible, and to happen in just a few seconds... also impossible.
True, but don't forget, we're talking about werewolves, people that can change into an entirely different species in a matter of minutes. Compared to everything else that happens during a shift, a slight change in eye color really isn't that extreme.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Meh, I just can't see a werewolf with green or grey eyes....blech. Maybe blue, but it's highly uncommon in pure wolves.
But then, I like weres to be very animalistic- basically like natural wolves that walk on two legs and have a human capacity for reasoning. But that's just MHO.
Caine
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Caine »

I agree with you, Pariah, however at the same it's important to me and certainly to others that there be characteristics of the human that once was still present in the werewolf. Something aside from human consciousness still has to be present in the type of werewolf form we are talking about or else its less of a werewolf and more of a wolf, if you get what I'm saying... I don't think I am being overly clear.

In other words, some humanity or vestiges of the person's personality still have to manifest themselves visibly in a werewolf, even if it is something as small and insignificant as eye color. But then again, that's just my opinion!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

I'm with Caine, although another part of it for me would be being able to discern one werewolf from another without having to resort to making them all blatantly differing colors like in Wolf's Rain or making a tall one, a short one, a fat one and a skinny one like they do in cartoons. :P Eye color could be one more way to distinguish one werewolf from another.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I agree that there should be something to indicate who a werewolf is. But I'd rather see it done with mannerisms and haircolor. I want to gag every time I see a tiny blonde bimbo turn into a 900lb hulking black monstrosity. My thoughts all go back to the old discussion about making the wolf fit the human. Blonde human, light colored wolf, chubby human, chubby wolf.

But that's just me. We all have our preferences. :)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

I agree that a werewolf should reflect the physicality of the human, that a human with light hair should have light fur as a werewolf and that the biggest human should also be the biggest werewolf. . . But not to the point that it becomes toony or unrealistic in some other way. I'd like it if people could recognize Max in wereform from all the other werewolves in his pack, but not in a way that he stands out so much you could point him out with just one sentence (a-la "Max is the blond one"), and not in a way that all the werewolves around him start to look the same.

Personally I think it would be more cool if there was one werewolf with a standout appearance but only a secondary relation to the plot, and if Jack, Max etc. closely resembled other werewolves but were instead identified by their authoritative posture, the way the other werewolves around them relate to him, or just being the central focus of the camera. I do want werewolves to look like individuals, but not in a really blatant way.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

What if the werewolf's form reflected their general personality? I'm not saying get rid of the whole anatomy thing, I agree with you guys, but what if when someone changed, their true personality determined how they look? (kind heart = normal, beautiful wolf, bad heart = mange wolf, ect)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

BlackWolfDS wrote:What if the werewolf's form reflected their general personality? I'm not saying get rid of the whole anatomy thing, I agree with you guys, but what if when someone changed, their true personality determined how they look? (kind heart = normal, beautiful wolf, bad heart = mange wolf, ect)
That would make the hero the striking noble one and the villain the slobbering mangy one. And that would be cliche.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Terastas wrote:
BlackWolfDS wrote:What if the werewolf's form reflected their general personality? I'm not saying get rid of the whole anatomy thing, I agree with you guys, but what if when someone changed, their true personality determined how they look? (kind heart = normal, beautiful wolf, bad heart = mange wolf, ect)
That would make the hero the striking noble one and the villain the slobbering mangy one. And that would be cliche.
Depends on how dramatic you want the werewolf to be, doesn't it?
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

If you cooked a recipe like that, it'll just taste like Final Fantasy. Therefore i am inclined to agree with Terastas.
wolfboy410
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: wrath

Re: Eye Color

Post by wolfboy410 »

well my idea aways was tha the eye color(along with size and strength) told you how high the were was on the food chain for example

silver:youngling
red:normal

yellow:alpha
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: RAR!

Post by LunarCarnivore »

well assuming you go with the "eyes are a window to the soul" thing like i do. and also assuming that werewolves have a split personality like i do, the second personality being the wolf. then i say when the wolf is in control, the eyes go wolf coloured, whether that be golden yellow or baby blue. regardless of form, because depending on the situation the human mind can control the ww body and vice versa. but thats just the way i like it.
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

i say...
depends on the rules of the storyline.
In mine, the ww eye colors range from amber {hellfire werewolf} to cobalt blue {ice werewol} and even white-gold {Dark werewolf}. All depends on preferences, opinions, and personal ideas are how the eye color thing goes...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)