What would a were's emotional state be when first transformi

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

What would a were's emotional state be when first transformi

Post by Dreamer »

What I'm talking about is that, in most media when a (non-evil) were transforms for the first time, the usually can't control their instincts and go on a murderous rampage. And I'm not just talking about the ones triggered by traumatic events, like Alpha Luna, I mean ANY time a were first transforms. But in your fiction, what is the way you portray it?

Me, I think that if they didn't know about it, the would be scared and probably weirded out. They'd probably make a run for it if it was in public. If thye did, it would depend on the situation. Of course, what do I know about wolf instincts (Answer: not a whole lot :lol: )?
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Unstable to say the least. No matter how much preparation goes into the first shift, you can't possibly comprehend what it feels like to have your entire body twist and distort into an entirely different form. I think it would be a cause for concern if a werewolf was not in any way unstable during their first shift.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Well honestly...it all depends on the person and if they wanted it. If they wanted it, I'd say, happy/scared/anxious. If the change was unintentional and unwanted, I'd say somewhere along the lines of blind fear possibly rage...maybe even happy if their lucky.

There was something else I was going to say...but I forgot o_o
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Spongy »

Wanted or not, the initial reaction would probably be shock, followed by fear...
Absolute Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Absolute Wolf »

It depends on a lot of things(environment,current state of being,...)
They would be really scared just by feeling strange, not mentioning the changing part.Then they wouldn't know where to go, what to do,what to make out of this.Especially if it comes suddenly.Even after the change I doubt that the person could gather his/her thoughts and try to calm down.He probably would try to get help from others ,not taking consideration what he/she has become.
Yet it's totally different in the cause of a person who likes such animals or has a passion for such.He/She would probably try to stay calm as possible,and try to endure the pain of the process.I'm not sure though what would the person do afterwards,yet I doubt that he/she would go slaughtering people.He/She would probably use it for it's advantage.
(But thats ,just my idea of such...)
FoxOfWar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Fiery Foxish TFmage Extraordinaire
Location: Finland. Most probably lurking behing that rock. *points*

Post by FoxOfWar »

As said, it'd depend on the person.

For my usual character type, that is indeed the "victim" of transformation as opposed to being in control, they all kinda freaked out on their first transformation. Some sort of unstableness is a surefire thing on first transformation, that's just a rule hard to override believably in a story.

Which reminds me, I was almost in the beginning of another transformation sequence the last time I wrote anything... *flees to a corner to type on his laptop*
Btw, If you're wondering about FoxOfWar, think about Real-Time Strategy Games and certain aspect profilic in all of them... lurking about in the shadows, kind of like me...
*nagowteena*
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mood: RAR!

Post by *nagowteena* »

spongypants23 wrote:Wanted or not, the initial reaction would probably be shock, followed by fear...

first thought that poped into my head when I saw this thread. :)
Image Image
Yeah, that hits the spot..DeviantArt ~ Youtube Avatar by Z
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Lots of different emotions all at once, I would imagine--one would experience a bunch of them at the same time, too. Those who wanted it would be stunned that it's not how one expected it--or would from sheer pain temporarily regret undergoing it. Then, there's the sudden exhileration of its happening.

I think one common worry might be about getting stuck in wolf form. The shift itself I imagine to be very painful and a bizarre sensation; one might be afraid of experiencing the same all over again to change back. And, after shifting for the first time and not yet having experience with it, the wolf form would feel pretty solid and real, and it might be hard to picture in one's mind being able to get back to being in a human form.

And, for those who didn't want it, there's plenty of terror early on, but there might also be the internal conflict with the realization that it's actually pretty cool.

And, there's those who didn't know they were real, had no idea what to expect, and are just taken by surprise. This is where one as a writer can cram in all the emotions at once.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

"Oh no! That was my best pair of jeans! Why did everything but my tighty-whiteys shred? What if anybody sees me like this?"

In short-one massive freak-out.
At that point you 'd wish that you were just a mindless animal... :lol:

Maybe that's why they act that way... :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Looking at the various posts it appears that the response would be:

OH CRAP!!

Oh my God- it really worked!
Now what am I gonna do?

I can't stay like this...can I?

How do I get back? Crappity crappity crap....

I'm dreaming. I must be.

How do I wake up? Please! How do I wake up?

*Pinches fur. Yanks tail. Licks nose*

Oh my God-I think this is real...

Mommie?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

You forgot:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Every other line
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

I was having trouble with the reply screen anyhow; it didn't want to do all the size changes.

Yes; the AHHHHHHHHHHH would go between the lines.

But it would still end with: Mommie?
Silver Predator Wolf
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Le plus innocent votre sourire, le plus sauvage mon amour pour vous.

Post by Silver Predator Wolf »

Standard reactions are Fear, freak out, scream like a little girl and run for cover. The usual reaction when the person tht has just shifted that has control over him/herself and not run around to paint the town red.
Last edited by Silver Predator Wolf on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A healthy woman is much like a wolf: Both social creatures, longing for pack mates, intelligent, communicative, wild, gentle, playful, capable of great strength, fiercely loyal, territorial, and beautiful.
punxnotdead
Legendary
Legendary

Post by punxnotdead »

I think a werewolf would become disorented and confused because of its new shape and abilities (heightened senses)
I doubt they would become rampaging killers unless they consciously chose to be ravenous killers...I would be scared as hell :shift: ?? :?
Smallville fan!
Silver Predator Wolf
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Le plus innocent votre sourire, le plus sauvage mon amour pour vous.

Post by Silver Predator Wolf »

Who won't be? A man eatting creature is running around and you might be it's next meal :lol:
A healthy woman is much like a wolf: Both social creatures, longing for pack mates, intelligent, communicative, wild, gentle, playful, capable of great strength, fiercely loyal, territorial, and beautiful.
Templar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: No Title

Post by Templar »

punxnotdead wrote:I think a werewolf would become disorented and confused because of its new shape and abilities (heightened senses)
I doubt they would become rampaging killers unless they consciously chose to be ravenous killers...I would be scared as hell :shift: ?? :?
This is kinda what I had in mind.

Actually, I've always thought of lycanthropy as like being on a really bad drug trip, what with all the input coming from all the senses and the fact that your body just ripped itself apart and put itself back together again. That's why a werewolf would freak out and go postal. I mean, what would your first reaction be if the guy sitting next to you suddenly turned into Satan with a pair of breasts growing outta his back dancing around on the bed while ranting on about wheeling people out in wheelbarrows?

(People who've seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas know what I'm talking about!)

Dude? you OK?
\
:wings: :cafinated:-HOLY CRAP! STAY AWAY YOU SPAWN OF HELL!
Sure, I could have stayed, could have even been king. But in my own way...I am King. (grabs girl) Hail to the king, baby!
-Ash
www.knight-templar.deviantart.com
Ceekur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ceekur »

It would depend on many things. I'd say that regardless if you had wanted it and you spent time readying yourself, I doubt the initial reaction to your new form would be one of exhilaration, in many cases. Until one experiences it for themselves, there would be no way to truly prepare for such an extreme transformation.

Were it to happen to an ordinary person with no belief in mythical creatures or to one who even fears them, the person would most certainly be completely distraught, confused, and afraid. As it has been depicted in shows before, the transformed person would be bumping around objects, knocking them over, and barely able to keep his balance after what he has witnessed firsthand. He'd most likely run to or find the nearest person and grab them by the arms asking what has happened to him. Then it'd probably follow that a crowd of people would point and scream monster and the scared werewolf would run out into the street and into the nearest building to hide. :roll:
' They have come to take my life...
Let us settle this 300 year-old war once and for all...
Who shall live...? Who shall die...? ' ~ Moonlight Symphony - Vampire Night

Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: What would a were's emotional state be when first transf

Post by Volkodlak »

ok,

we cant derment how would someone react too this because each of us is unique and hate to say it all comes back too control you have in your WW form.

my reaction(high to total control):
i think i woud be scared during transformation and curious after transformation i would check my new form then i would do normal stuf watch TV,posting topics on this forum,play video games or i will went to sleep(but i dont think my bed is big enough for 7feet tall WW form and is not smart idea to).

your ideas?
ippondropkick
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by ippondropkick »

I guess it depends on what kind of story you're telling. Mine has a character who's been putting off the change so long he's going a little nuts, so he kind of feels a little freaked out but it's mostly like feeling relaxing and slipping away.
silver1
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: guardian of wolves
Additional Details: When it hurts to look back,and your scared to look ahead you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.
Mood: Happy

Post by silver1 »

I would be absolutely terrified by it.
If you talk to the animals,they will talk to you and you will know each other.If you do not talk to them,you will not know them and what you do not know you fear,and what one fears one destroys.

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend.

You say werewolf like its a bad thing.

http://cmrpg.net/turn.php?cid=131877&serv=1
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

silver1 wrote:I would be absolutely terrified by it.
yeah the first would be scariest because you dont know how much control you have in WW form if i would lose control and black out i woud be scared during first or 100-th transformation because i dont want too hurt anyone,but for having control i explained what i would do later i would try too learn how too transform at will then i would go looking for troubles
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I dunno.. if I was transforming for the first time.. and became more of an instinctual animal.. and had just gone through a lot lot of pain, and a lot of trauma, and energy through a transformation.. (once all that was over) .. I would think a first time shifter might wind up doing what a tired wolf would do..

Sleep. After all, burning a LOT Of carbs for a change. But the original creedo for the werewolves of freeborn at least.. were a wolf is instinctual.. wolves instincts arent im in pain, so i want to go kill someone.. if you 'corner' a hurting wolf.. then yeah you got problems.. but if its an uneventful change.. then the pain and exhaustion from such a transformation would really just sap your energy.. then after a nap.. food.

Just my opinion.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ABrownrigg wrote:I dunno.. if I was transforming for the first time.. and became more of an instinctual animal.. and had just gone through a lot lot of pain, and a lot of trauma, and energy through a transformation.. (once all that was over) .. I would think a first time shifter might wind up doing what a tired wolf would do..

Sleep. After all, burning a LOT Of carbs for a change. But the original creedo for the werewolves of freeborn at least.. were a wolf is instinctual.. wolves instincts arent im in pain, so i want to go kill someone.. if you 'corner' a hurting wolf.. then yeah you got problems.. but if its an uneventful change.. then the pain and exhaustion from such a transformation would really just sap your energy.. then after a nap.. food.

Just my opinion.
That's actually not too far from what I would have expected. I would have said "pass out" though -- that after all the shock, pain etc. subsides, the werewolf collapses and doesn't come to for at least a few minutes.

Which might explain some of the more wolfish behavior they engage in once the shift is completed. If they wake up to a world being experienced with a completely different set of sensory organs, they're liable to be very confused, or possibly even feel like they're dreaming.

Originally I wasn't a big fan of the "no control" idea, but now that I think of it, that might actually not be all that different from someone taking Ambien. If a sleep aid can make people go out for a drive and not remember it, it would certainly be feasible for lycanthropy to have a similar effect.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Terastas wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote:I dunno.. if I was transforming for the first time.. and became more of an instinctual animal.. and had just gone through a lot lot of pain, and a lot of trauma, and energy through a transformation.. (once all that was over) .. I would think a first time shifter might wind up doing what a tired wolf would do..

Just my opinion.
That's actually not too far from what I would have expected. I would have said "pass out" though -- that after all the shock, pain etc. subsides, the werewolf collapses and doesn't come to for at least a few minutes.

Which might explain some of the more wolfish behavior they engage in once the shift is completed. If they wake up to a world being experienced with a completely different set of sensory organs, they're liable to be very confused, or possibly even feel like they're dreaming.

Originally I wasn't a big fan of the "no control" idea, but now that I think of it, that might actually not be all that different from someone taking Ambien. If a sleep aid can make people go out for a drive and not remember it, it would certainly be feasible for lycanthropy to have a similar effect.
I'm not so sure things would necessarily play out that way. Pass out? Probably. Sleep? Maybe. However, while maybe not directly comparable, I've had illnesses that have royally kicked the stuffing out of me, with fever and pain and such, and I have passed out from it (infection with temperature of 39c), so I don't know that a transformation wouldn't just knock you right out at the start before you even feel the main brunt of any pain.

Continuing with my illness analogy, when the pain and everything is over (or as I mentioned above, you might have been unconscious for the duration), and your deeper energy stores (liver stores/fat/muscle) is being mobilized/cannibalized to bring you back into balance, there's the feeling of being drained, yes, but also often euphoria and revitalization, the combination at least in my case can make me surprisingly boisterous, or very contented/docile, or both.

Lastly, strange as it may sound, in the few hours after initial recovery, hunger and thirst is often fairly sated a lot of the time. As for physical condition, I look smaller and leaner, if put me on a weighing scale we'd see that I weight significantly less, because body mass is like 70% water and I've sweated and urinated a whole lot, I've lost a bunch of reserves from all over the place, but I've still got reserves left that are being called upon, all this adds up to make me feel light on my feet, and want to run around and have fun and such.

Of course, at that point what I need fluids (and electrolytes?) more than anything, and if I go running around enjoying my temporary feeling of vitality, I'm soon going to feel the pinch again. I think dehydration is an overlooked factor against the background of the instincts of a presumably "hungry" wolf, a newly shifted werewolf may just as likely go to the nearest available water source, as it would go to the exertion of killing itself something and eat, and in humanville water sources are...EVERYWHERE! Public toilets, night clubs, ponds, swimming/paddling pools, fountains...through somebody's kitchen window... :P .

On to other matters, the emotions of finding yourself no longer entirely physically human, assuming I could think and such, I've kind of been through something which could be sort of comparable, most people will probably remember the first time they woke up with a dead arm, they slept in an awkward position, and woke up to this dead-to-the-world limb hanging limply off their body. I remember the first time, it scared the bejeezus out of me I can tell you, thoughts of "OH MY GOD WHAT A I GOING TO DO/HOW AM I GOING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO EVERYBODY?!?!?!" raced through my mind, I dare not let anybody see me because...floppy arm! I was realizing the realities of having a useless limb for the first time in my life. It took me a few times to get used to the idea that ok, my arm isn't going to die and fall off, I don't get panic attacks from it anymore, but still it can wake me up, and I still hate it!

Just my thoughts for the offering.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

nice one mepeer. dehydration, panic and hunger very nice mixure, but if you do it at home isnt very problematic if you are home alone so food is in fridge, water in kitchen and for panic breathe and think.