Fur Color

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I knew that albino-ism caused pink eyes and noses and pads :wink: So are you saying there wouldn't be a white wolf because it'd look yellowish next to something white? Like those albino pythons that have the yellow spots on white instead of being totally white (they are albinoes, right?)? I can see not having a young white wolf then. I thought I mentioned that someone could have really blond hair that could turn into a white pelt somewhere. Hmmm. Anyways, I'm not dying for a white wolf or anything, the albino thing's been on my mind for a while and I was just wondering about it :D
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Black Shuck wrote:I knew that albino-ism caused pink eyes and noses and pads :wink: So are you saying there wouldn't be a white wolf because it'd look yellowish next to something white? Like those albino pythons that have the yellow spots on white instead of being totally white (they are albinoes, right?)? I can see not having a young white wolf then. I thought I mentioned that someone could have really blond hair that could turn into a white pelt somewhere. Hmmm. Anyways, I'm not dying for a white wolf or anything, the albino thing's been on my mind for a while and I was just wondering about it :D
Hrmmn.., *ponders* Good points.

I personally would support the idea of Older werewolves turning white, or steely gray-black. This could be a form of werewolf rank-n-file symbology. If they are olde enough to still be around, and can still command respect, and still retain their strength and power.., then why not respect ya'll elders? ;)

heh

Yes, in many reptile species that are bred typical for their color morphs, this yellow would be the "white" varient. Though some snake enthusitasts have actually made true-white ( no scale color ) appear in some snake species. Examples of this "true white, is teh piebald Ball Pyhton. Its all white except its head, tail and typically one spot on its body.

Other eamples of this "off white" to pelts is the polor bear. Though white, when compared to pure white, it looks "dirty yellow". Even clean and spit-polished, ist still retains a yellow color.

Pure white in nature doesn't happen often, it stands out to easily. :)
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Hrm. I was under the impression that albino canines (and humans) had light-blue eyes rather than pink. I'll have to see if I can dig up some good sources tomorrow.

-- Vilkacis
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

*nods* True Albinos have pink eyes and no melenan (sp ) in their skin. T least that's what I've been taught. Now in humans and some other animal species teh eyes may be blue.., *ponders*

Me. Some folks might consider me an Albino, or my sister who was at one point fair more fair skin and hair'd then I. If they thought blond and blue eyed was albino. ;)

I have sky-blue "wolf eyes" ( as some people say. Meh *shrugs* ).
One girl at school, that people somehow mistook us for each other, was more or less albino, except that she -did- tan after she burned. She was more fair skinned then I, and had almost white hair. When set next to a true white wall, you coul d-just- see the yellow to it.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

I google'd it.., here is what Wikipedia says...,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

and take a look! :)
http://www.albinism.org/

wow.., now I have to wonder if my sister wasn't an albino.., and that friend of mine.., hrmmn intriging.

Ya learn soemthign new everyday.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

That makes me wonder, what causes the blue color in the iris?
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Apparnetly lack of pigment. o.O

The reaosn for the color eyes we have is appernetly the amount of pigment in the eye. So Hazel eyes have some pigment but not a lot.

The difference in say Amber eyes ( I know Three peopl ewith amber eyes! ) is more pigment but not enough to have brown eyes.

o.,o I'm reading up on th site now amd will oprolly find an "eye" site to learn more. I'm throughly intrigued!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Well yes, a lack of melanin, which is usually the primary pigment in humans. What I was wondering, is what other substance in iris the gives it the blue color.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

O.o

:?

:read2:

http://www.seps.org/cvoracle/faq/eyecolor.html

At one time scientists thought that a single gene pair, in a dominant/recessive inheritance pattern, controlled human eye color. The allele for brown eyes was considered dominant over the allele for blue eyes. The genetic basis for eye color is actually far more complex. At the present, three gene pairs controlling human eye color are known. Two of the gene pairs occur on chromosome pair 15 and one occurs on chromosome pair 19. The bey 2 gene, on chromosome 15, has a brown and a blue allele. A second gene, located on chromosome 19 (the gey gene) has a blue and a green allele. A third gene, bey 1, located on chromosome 15, is a central brown eye color gene.

Geneticists have designed a model using the bey 2 and gey gene pairs that explains the inheritance of blue, green and brown eyes. In this model the bey 2 gene has a brown and a blue allele.

The brown allele is always dominant over the blue allele so even if a person is heterozygous (one brown and one blue allele) for the bey 2 gene on chromosome 15 the brown allele will be expressed. The gey gene also has two alleles, one green and one blue.

The green allele is dominant to the blue allele on either chromosome but is recessive to the brown allele on chromosome 15. This means that there is a dominance order among the two gene pairs.

If a person has a brown allele on chromosome 15 and all other alleles are blue or green the person will have brown eyes. If there is a green allele on chromosome 19 and the rest of the alleles are blue, eye color will be green. Blue eyes will occur only if all four alleles are for blue eyes.

This model explains the inheritance of blue, brown and green eyes but cannot account for gray, hazel or multiple shades of brown, blue, green and gray eyes. It cannot explain how two blue-eyed parents can produce a brown-eyed child or how eye color can change over time. This suggests that there are other genes, yet to be discovered, that determine eye color or that modify the expression of the known eye color genes.

~~

The exact color of the human eye is determined by the amount of a single pigment called melanin that is present in the iris of the eye. Melanin is a dark brown pigment that is deposited on the front surface of the iris.

If a lot of melanin is present, the eye will appear brown or even black. If very little melanin is present the iris appears blue. Intermediate amounts of melanin produces gray, green, hazel or varying shades of brown.

Genes work by directing the production of enzymes, chemicals that control all of the processes that occur in our body. Eye color genes, through the enzymes they produce, direct the amount and placement of melanin in the iris.

In general Caucasian babies are born with blue eyes because at the time of birth they haven't begun to produce melanin in their irises. Their eyes may change to green, brown or other colors as melanin production begins. Babies of other ethnic origins such as African, Asian, Hispanic and Native American, are often born with brown or black eyes.

Albinos have no pigment in their irises so the blood vessels in the back of the eye reflect light making the eyes look pink. Albinos also lack melanin in their skin and hair. Since albinism is caused by a recessive allele, two normal parents may produce an albino. An albino can have normal offspring if the other parent is normal for melanin production.
Wow...,

i can't find anythign else thus far.., but from what I've read, the irirs is set too far in the back of the head, so the bloodvessels don't shine like they do in other species. So maybe they are the color of clear. ;)

*chuckles*

If anyone else can find out more I'd love to know myself. :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

This is my vision of what a werewolf should look like, except color should be different (not one solid color). I like him because he looks regal, but if he got pissed I'm sure he could look scary. Also, you can tell by the look in his face that he's an intelligent human on the inside, but he's still very beastly, to me he's the perfect balance of wolf and human. I think something like this could easily be brought to the silverscreen, and look very realistic.

http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Rwolf/ ... olf_bi.jpg

edit: decided to make it a link instead.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Oh, I'd like to add as well that he might be more realistic if he were a little less muscular.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I think most of LoboLeo's art look pretty realistic. Especially the fur (hey, ontopic! :o ).
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Morkulv wrote:I think most of LoboLeo's art look pretty realistic. Especially the fur (hey, ontopic! :o ).
I like LoboLeo's TFs, although IMO, they don't go far enough into wolf. But then, that's just because of my preference for more lupine werewolves. Whatever AB comes up with, I hope it looks awesome!

As far as fur color goes, here is a link to some cool art that I think does a good job with fur color, though I personally think the transitions from one color to another should be a little more blended, not such stark contrasts. Granted, this art is rather disney-ish, but I still think the colors are nice. If anybody goes to this link, be sure to go to the bottom and click 'next', because there are portraits of three of the werewolves.

http://fanart.nala.ru/details.php?image_id=122

P.S. Anybody know what language that is?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Excelsia wrote:
What Mafia wrote:just please please plleeeaasee not all brown!! those always look like bears!
I second that.
And I'll, uh... Third it. If there has to be a werewolf with brown fur, at least mix it up with a husky fur pattern like the one in Figarou's avatar -- that should help it maintain it's canine appearance.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

2) In what I've read on this site (just so you know I'm not stating anything), the film is suppose to have a realistic view on werewolves. If werewolves have a regular wolf-head, you obviously don't think its either scary or realistic, IMO. And you don't have to create a 'typical' Hollywood-werewolf for that.
I have two points of view on this question, myself. For one thing, I think of a "realistic" werewolf as one in which it is obvious that it is based on a wolf. Therefore, the head needs to be at least somewhat lupine on the gestalt form. We want viewers to find it impossible to think of the gestalt form as a gorilla-monster, random hairy demon, cat person, or rat-thing. We want the wolf part to be obvious. On the other hand, I do have problems with the head of the gestalt form being 100% that of a real wolf, because it tends to make it look too much like furry art sometimes, and also because the gestalt form is supposed to be half-transformed, and it can look odd for the head to be 100% transformed to a wolf when the rest of the body is only about 50% transformed.
Unfortunately, werewolf designers have a hard time making a head that looks suitably lupine while not being 100% wolf yet. I've seen so many failures in this regard, and it is so difficult, that if Freeborn designers are having any trouble, then I would rather they went for a straight wolf head on the gestalt form rather than mess around with problematic head designs that might let fans down.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

Excelsia wrote:
Morkulv wrote:I think most of LoboLeo's art look pretty realistic. Especially the fur (hey, ontopic! :o ).
I like LoboLeo's TFs, although IMO, they don't go far enough into wolf. But then, that's just because of my preference for more lupine werewolves. Whatever AB comes up with, I hope it looks awesome!

As far as fur color goes, here is a link to some cool art that I think does a good job with fur color, though I personally think the transitions from one color to another should be a little more blended, not such stark contrasts. Granted, this art is rather disney-ish, but I still think the colors are nice. If anybody goes to this link, be sure to go to the bottom and click 'next', because there are portraits of three of the werewolves.

http://fanart.nala.ru/details.php?image_id=122

P.S. Anybody know what language that is?
It's a cyrillic language and my guess is Russian seems how that's the most popular one. It could be Ukranian or Belorussian though.... Yeah, the fur colours should blend a little bit. Thanks to whoever posted that Albinism info by the way!
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

*wags*
Kotig
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Kotig »

kotig is a silver grey w/ black on her back, but her human form has brown hair, and she's definetly NOT old...how does that happen? I usually think of it as the brown hair=brown fur. But I forgot about that one....XD
What if I don't fill this in? What are you gonna do? :P
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

Late to jump in the thread again. Whoop-de-do.

Question: My hair is ginger blonde (picture) but my body hair is very fine and so colorless it's almost invisible. What kind of fur would I have as a wolf?
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I'd say ginger blonde fur with white fur in places
KnownToBite
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Beta Female of The C-Oney Wolf Pack

Post by KnownToBite »

[say "no" to p-shifting]
Jasmine Isis
Beta Female to The Real Life C-Oney Wolf Pack
Mate to Syn Kardis
Mother to 2 beautiful kids - Damien Marcus and Scarlette Eden
Mother to 2 beautiful wolves - Isis(f mexican red) and Osiris(m timberwolf)
Mother to a beautiful red fox kit - Pyro
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

First off: Welcome to the Pack, KnownToBite! :howl:  :oo

As for the image you were trying to post:
KnownToBite wrote:Image
It doesn't work because that URL actually leads to a webpage instead of an image. To get it working, either use the tags, or link to the actual image instead (I suggest the first for Yahoo Photos). In this case, the query-string was getting in the way of linking to the actual image, so instead I uploaded it to Imageshack for you:

(Nice picture, by the way.)

Finally, I noticed that in many of your posts you present yourself as if you are a werewolf. As a friendly word of warning, you ought to be careful about doing that unless you have good, solid proof, as many here get very irritable when they see that kind of thing.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay here. :D

-- Vilkacis